Vent about the ER nurse.............. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-03-2006, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lillie had a fever of just over 102 yesterday so we called the ped and they advised us to go to the ER (it was after hours). Well, I knew this was going to be an ordeal, but we had to take her. So, they had to catheterize her to get a urine sample to make sure it wasn't a urinary tract infection (which was a nightmare, btw!). Anyway, when we were about to leave, I asked the nurse if there were any ways, other than the standards (wipe front to back and keep her clean) to prevent an infection. Now, Lillie is only 4 mos and the nurse suggested she be given cranberry juice, 4 oz, everyday! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??????????? My husband and I kept our mouths shut, but we got a nice chuckle out of it. I just hope she doesn't tell this to someone who might actually do it!

Just wanted to vent............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-03-2006, 09:47 AM

I know how traumatizing a cath can be for both babe and parents.

I know that you can get unsweetened cranberry juice (it's not very yummy tasting though) so maybe thats what she was talking about. I would rather prevent w/ alittle of that then have to give antibiotics if my baby were prone to UTIs.
#3 of 4 Old 08-03-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo
I know how traumatizing a cath can be for both babe and parents.

I know that you can get unsweetened cranberry juice (it's not very yummy tasting though) so maybe thats what she was talking about. I would rather prevent w/ alittle of that then have to give antibiotics if my baby were prone to UTIs.
Oh, same here. But she's only 4 months old!!! Do you know what the acid in cranberry juice would do to her intestinal system and bottom? DD got one sip of my orange juice before I could stop her when she was 7 months old and already on solids and she had an acid burn over her entire diaper area for a week.
#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2006, 11:38 AM

I think its probably the same advice she give to anyone with a UTI, she just didn't take into account your DC's age. I know I've done that a few times on the job, and when the other person gives me a funny look I end up backtracking.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page