Conjunctival Hemangioma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out my 5 week old has a conjunctival hemangioma and we have to put her on steriods to make it stop growing ASAP as it's already started to change the shape of her eye. I am so upset that we're having to put this stuff in her body but there doesn't seem to be another solution.

She had her first dose tonight and a couple hours later she was super fussy, totally unlike herself. She is normally super easy going and in a great mood. Errr..... does anyone else have any experience with this? She's taking 3ml of prednisolone once a day and we're going back to the eye dr in ten days to see if it's made any progress.

Thanks

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#2 of 7 Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 AM

my DD has some health issues- they're all hard to deal with, it's so hard to see your baby in pain. but she will get through it, and so will you!

I don't have experience with that specific medication, sounds like prednisone, is it a steroid? maybe you should call tomorrow before you give her any more and just run those symptoms by them to see what they have to say. good luck!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 7 Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 AM

No advice but I'm so sorry mama! *hugs*
#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2006, 12:34 AM

I don't anything about it either, just a
#5 of 7 Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 AM

YES, steroids can have a real effect on someone's mood. Hence the term 'Roid Rage for athletes who have anger problems when taking (unauthorized) steroids. Some people don't react at all, but some do. My son was put on steroids for Croup, and after the first dose his emotions were all over the map. Crying one second, laughing the next, then hitting me (at 18 mos!!) over nothing. I talked to the pedi about it and he confirmed our assumption that is was the steroids. He said to stop that treatment immediately.

I'm sorry for you and your little one! Hopefully you can figure out a happy medium.
#6 of 7 Old 08-04-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLittleDucks
YES, steroids can have a real effect on someone's mood. Hence the term 'Roid Rage for athletes who have anger problems when taking (unauthorized) steroids. Some people don't react at all, but some do. My son was put on steroids for Croup, and after the first dose his emotions were all over the map. Crying one second, laughing the next, then hitting me (at 18 mos!!) over nothing. I talked to the pedi about it and he confirmed our assumption that is was the steroids. He said to stop that treatment immediately.

I'm sorry for you and your little one! Hopefully you can figure out a happy medium.

ohhhhhhhhhh i forgot. ds was on pulmicort and ventalin for croupe at 13 months. we coslept in the hospitsl for 5 night and i remember him waking up screaming and kicking the crap out of me.
#7 of 7 Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

I thought I should update in case someone else has the same problem one day.

I took her back to the DR today and it's much better. It's still swollen and kind of looks like she got a bug bite on her lower lid but a big improvement over last time. Her eye is also starting to change back to the shape it's supposed to be since there is less pressure. Anyhow since there was so much improvement she goes down from three ml to two ml for ten days then one ml for ten more days then back to the DR. She is also getting eye drops (I would write the name but she's sleeping in my lap and I wouldn't wake her if you paid me )

The mood swings have also gotten slightly better. Now she only has them when we go anywhere during the day and she can't get a good nap. But that could be just her and have nothing to do with the medicine. (Also just in case someone's in the same situation one day she's on the generic for Preloan.)

OK I think that's it.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page