Hiding Books in the stores - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I have read several posts in several places about the good mommy gone bad who hides creepy parenting books in the bookstore or libraby so others can't be influenced by them.

I go to the library a couple times a week and love to shop, so please tell me which books to hide.

I want to be a member of this book club.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#2 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 03:39 AM

Anything by Ezzo (Babywise etc.). I've even bought this one from the thrift store and thrown it into the recycle bin! Have fun in the club!
#3 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 03:45 AM

i have now bought several copies of 'to bring up a child' from thrift stores.

me and my mom (yes, i'm outing you, mama!) have been know to get buzzed at starbucks then waltz over to the baby section of barnes and noble and move dr sears books in front of ezzo books. i would blame the coffee high, but i drink decaf....can i blame the sugar?

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#4 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, I have read bad things about Ezzo. I will be on the lookout for those.

Any others?

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#5 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 09:59 AM

(Lurking on the baby board - I miss having a babe, okay?!?!)

I have been known to hide
Ezzo trash, The Contented Little Baby Book, sometimes The Baby Whisperer if I am feeling particularly snarky (she doesn't advocate CIO, but she does place to much emphasis on scheduling and sleeping through the night for infants), and any others that look fishy to me. I usually put Sears in the front of the stacks, and sometimes Happiest Baby on the Block because that did help me when D was a fussy, fussy newborn.

I know they probably get reshelved the right way eventually, but I still get a little thrill out of it!

Megan - SortaCrunchy mama to blahblah.gif Dacey (7) and energy.gif Aliza Joy (5). Expecting mo-di twin boys baby.gifbaby.gif February 2013!

#6 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 09:59 AM

The Babywise books (ezzo)-
Bringing up Boys (Dobson)
there's an ACOG book of planning your labor and birth that sucks

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#7 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Hey good ideas!! Although I did like one idea I read a few weeks ago, which was to write MDC and the names of some good books into the front cover, and put it back out to the thrift shop. That way you're directing them to something better rather than just removing it.
#8 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 AM

i am totally for those that buy the books and do creative things w/ them! here's something i'm wondering about, though. does anyone think about how much work is being put upon the person at the library or bookstore that has to reshelve the books?? or does the importance of keeping such books out of the hands of parents outweigh this fact?
#9 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me personally, I am less concerned with someone having to reshelve a book (if they ever even find it) than I am with a baby being subjected to cruel or harmful treatment.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 11:38 AM

I'm a librarian, and I used to make little "For Further Reading..." bookmarks and put them in all the baby books in the library. You could do the same, but add some commentary about how this book is harmful, etc. I wouldn't do that as the librarian, but I totally would as the patron.
#11 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy
I'm a librarian, and I used to make little "For Further Reading..." bookmarks and put them in all the baby books in the library. You could do the same, but add some commentary about how this book is harmful, etc. I wouldn't do that as the librarian, but I totally would as the patron.
I also would include "inserts" in books and magazines that were for sale. This was for animal rights though. The flyers from PeTA would go in magazines and such for a little eye-opener for the reader.

#12 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy

Ooh, good idea, nubianamy! That's going on my to-do list.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#13 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 05:25 PM

reorganizing baby book sections in bookstores is good for 2 reasons -

1. most people pick up the books on display and leaf through them. you know how most books have their spines facing out but a few here and there have the covers facing out? if you change which books have their covers and spines facing out, dr. sears, etc. get leafed through while babywise gets overlooked.

my friend who manages a bookstore often changes which books are being displayed and which are just shelved based on what he's recently read and either liked or disliked.

2. if you, the consumer who can do no wrong, move things around in stores, leave your tray on the table in the food court, etc. then you are creating a little bit more work for the employees wherever you are. more work takes more time. at some point there is more work than can be done in the alloted time, so someone gets hired to help keep up with the work that needs doing. you're creating jobs!

my dad taught us to never put away our own trays in food courts because the people who clean up food courts are often recent immigrants (the job doesn't take much english) and it's hard for immigrants to get work. he said that if no one ever put their own tray away every food court would have to hire another person or 2.
#14 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 06:06 PM

I like the idea of inserts.
Another devil's advocate question- what if by hiding the books they believe it's out of stock and ordert more??? Then it's mission NOT accomplished.
#15 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMomma
I like the idea of inserts.
Another devil's advocate question- what if by hiding the books they believe it's out of stock and ordert more??? Then it's mission NOT accomplished.
I think in this day and time the stores order based on what the computer says is in the store. They scan everything and go by that, I believe. When an item is scanned as sold, the # of items in the store that are available go down, so they know to order more.

#16 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Ferber is bad too right?
and what about the Pearls? those books are out there too right?
#17 of 25 Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 PM

If I'm in the library & there is a pregnant woman or mom sitting at one of the tables looking at something, I grab the current Mothering and give it to her & say "This is the best parenting mag out there" They always flip through it & I've never had anyone give me the "crazy lady" look yet.
#18 of 25 Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly
i have now bought several copies of 'to bring up a child' from thrift stores.

me and my mom (yes, i'm outing you, mama!) have been know to get buzzed at starbucks then waltz over to the baby section of barnes and noble and move dr sears books in front of ezzo books. i would blame the coffee high, but i drink decaf....can i blame the sugar?
You keep me grounded aja-belly. I have moved the books to the wrong section before I would like to trash them , but that would be wrong I guess.:
#19 of 25 Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
if you, the consumer who can do no wrong, move things around in stores, leave your tray on the table in the food court, etc. then you are creating a little bit more work for the employees wherever you are. more work takes more time. at some point there is more work than can be done in the alloted time, so someone gets hired to help keep up with the work that needs doing. you're creating jobs!

my dad taught us to never put away our own trays in food courts because the people who clean up food courts are often recent immigrants (the job doesn't take much english) and it's hard for immigrants to get work. he said that if no one ever put their own tray away every food court would have to hire another person or 2.
Clearly you have never worked in food service or retail. That is so so so not how it works. You're just creating more work for people who are already overworked and underpaid.
#20 of 25 Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMomma
i am totally for those that buy the books and do creative things w/ them! here's something i'm wondering about, though. does anyone think about how much work is being put upon the person at the library or bookstore that has to reshelve the books?? or does the importance of keeping such books out of the hands of parents outweigh this fact?
Having worked in a library reshelving and straightening books, I assure you that reorganizing one small section of parenting books'll take about 2 mins, tops, and not even be that annoying.

I should note, that for most libraries, it's best if you put the offending book behind all the others and then line the other books up in dewey decimal order at least as neatly as the books in the surrounding area. Sideways books are atypical at a library so just pulling the Sears books in front of the other books will be corrected immediately. Also, don't try this trick if your library is very good about getting in new copies of missing books.
#21 of 25 Old 08-16-2006, 10:57 PM

I honestly don't do this much, but if I did, I'd hide....

~Anything by Ezzo (Babywise)
~Anything by Dobson
~Anything by Murkoff (What to Expect...)
~Anything by the AAP or ACOG-- they have a few pregnancy and babycare books that are 100% pro-medical intervention, one-sided
~That "Modern Girl's Guide" one that was getting everyone riled up a few months ago
~Your Pregnancy Week by Week-- it's way better than the What to Expect books but still incredibly condescending and pro-medical. My favorite quote is "If your doctor decides you need an episiotomy, there's nothing you can do about it."

I'd hide by putting them behind...

~Anything by any of the Sears family
~Anything by La Leche League
~Let the Baby Drive
~Almost any breastfeeding support book
#22 of 25 Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas. I will keep all thoughts in mind. I really hate the baby training jerks and I want them stopped....yesterday!

#23 of 25 Old 08-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Kam

If you search here, you'll find a good link to a site with bookmarks and stickers to put in Ezzo books at the bookstore. I did it for a while--thanks for reminding me to print out some more!
#24 of 25 Old 08-17-2006, 01:34 AM
Kam

Here's the old thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=ezzo

Post #2 has the link for bookmarks. Here it is: http://www.ezzo.info/trifoldbrochure.pdf
#25 of 25 Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMomNicole
Clearly you have never worked in food service or retail. That is so so so not how it works. You're just creating more work for people who are already overworked and underpaid.
I agree. I have worked in food service for years, and I worked in retail, specifically books.
I would say that I agree that the little changes to the baby book section of a bookstore or library are not too significant, and not very difficult to remedy.
As a previous book store employee, I say "Go for it" as long as it is tasefully done, and looks neat and orderly.
I do think that everyone should clear their trays at a food court though. It is horrible to have to clear those up, and it's true, they don't hire more people, they just work the ones they have harder.

~Moose

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page