How long should my baby nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Ds is almost 5 months old. He is still ebf and nurses every 2 hours. For the past month or so he has been trying to get on some kind of sleep schedule at bed time. For example... everyday he would start going to bed at about 9pm, then about 8:45, then 8:30pm, (all for about 1 week each)... now he goes to bed at 8:00 every night! Which is wonderful!! He still wakes up to nurse (which is okay because we cosleep)

Now, my question is.... (oh forgot to mention that he wakes every morning between 7 and 7:30)... with a schedule like that how often should he nap during the day? Ferber (which I know that many are not too crazy about ) says that at 4 months and up a baby should nap, at most, 3x a day. Do you agree/disagree?? I know it depends on the baby but I would also like to know what I should except.

Any advise would really help!! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 06:21 PM

You are right, every baby is soooo different. My guy will not nap for days then for a couple days take some long naps. He falls asleep around 7pm and wakes at 6am or so. I've tried to notice a schedule with him, but there is none.
#3 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 PM

My baby has not been a big fan of naps since she was born. Her nap schedule, dare I even call it that, is in constant flux. By the time she was your son's age, she was taking 3 naps a day most days, certainly never more, and sometimes less. She really only took micronaps, about 30 minutes : . She was still obviously tired but there was nothing I could do to get her to sleep longer. I read every infant sleep book I could get my hands on and tried nursing, bouncing, rocking, slinging, cosleeping, etc. Her day was only about 11 hours, not 12.5 to 13 like your son's, so she packed more sleep in to the night. She just seems to like it that way. Plays all day, then crashes for a nice long sleep. I've learned not to try and change her and just go with the flow. Good luck!
#4 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Mommy
My Ds is almost 5 months old. He is still ebf and nurses every 2 hours. For the past month or so he has been trying to get on some kind of sleep schedule at bed time. For example... everyday he would start going to bed at about 9pm, then about 8:45, then 8:30pm, (all for about 1 week each)... now he goes to bed at 8:00 every night! Which is wonderful!! He still wakes up to nurse (which is okay because we cosleep)

Now, my question is.... (oh forgot to mention that he wakes every morning between 7 and 7:30)... with a schedule like that how often should he nap during the day? Ferber (which I know that many are not too crazy about ) says that at 4 months and up a baby should nap, at most, 3x a day. Do you agree/disagree?? I know it depends on the baby but I would also like to know what I should except.

Any advise would really help!! Thanks in advance!
My son varies in his naps too. They grow so fast that things are constantly changing, such as his sleeping patterns.

He usually naps for a total of 4-5 hours during the day. It can be 4 naps of 45 mins to an hour. Or 2 longer naps of 2 hours or more.

I find that if he is up more than 2 hours he needs a nap. And there seems to be a window to get him to nap, or else the nap is blown (unless we go in the car) and then we will try again in another 2 hours.

A.
#5 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Mommy
How long should my baby nap?
As long as he needs/wants.

-Angela
#6 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 AM

In some baby book (who remembers!) I read that babies should nap after being awake for 2 hours and once I started doing this with DD our world changed. She used to be up for hours and hours and be so cranky! Now I try to nurse her to sleep every 2 hours and it almost always works. In the morning she only makes it 1 hour, sometimes we'll stretch it to 3, but I try to stick to the 2 hour rule. Sometimes she naps for 20 mins, sometimes 3 hours, usually an hour. So she takes 3-4 naps a day.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#7 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 AM

my babe is 3 months old and is a cat napper. my other three all developed a well defined nap schedule by this point--it was usually a short nap in the morning and a long afternoon nap. not this girl! She sleeps from about 8 pm untill about 9 or 10 am though. she does wake a couple times to nurse but since we co sleep neither one of us really wakes up. She will nap in 20 min increments during the day at no predictable times yet.

I figure that if she is happy and smiley and giggly then this must be her natural body rythm...it sure would be nice to get a nice 2 hour baby free period during the day, but this seems not to be what she needs.
#8 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 06:50 AM

Well, Ferber's a great big...nevermind. I think babies do so well if they are left to schedule themselves.
#9 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 11:16 AM
J2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386
In some baby book (who remembers!) I read that babies should nap after being awake for 2 hours and once I started doing this with DD our world changed. She used to be up for hours and hours and be so cranky! Now I try to nurse her to sleep every 2 hours and it almost always works. In the morning she only makes it 1 hour, sometimes we'll stretch it to 3, but I try to stick to the 2 hour rule. Sometimes she naps for 20 mins, sometimes 3 hours, usually an hour. So she takes 3-4 naps a day.
This is a lot how my DS is. In the mornings he is ready for a nap about 1 - 1.5 hrs after he has woken up. After that he is ready for a nap about every 2hrs. Snoopy, you and I must have rad the same thing about the 2hr mark. lol DS shows he is tired because he starts getting fussy. So then I swaddle him and nurse him then he's off to sleep.

Just remember that once you think you have it figured out, your little one changes. My DS used to nap 2 hrs in the morning and then at least an hour for each afternoon nap. But then we moved out of state and it has taken him a while to settle back in. Now he is beginning to nap better. I had also stopped swaddling him since now we are in FL (its so hot) but he really does need to be swaddled to sleep well. What's funny though is this week, no matter how the day has been or what time he woke up, he is ready for a nap at 4:00 in the afternoon, almost on the dot. This is great, but then if I have to pick my DH up from work at 4:30 or so, DS does not like to be woken up from the nap. lol

Anyhow, I'm rambling. But basically, my DS tries to do 3 naps a day. Sometimes 4 if they were just smaller cat naps. I just watch his signals. I can't force him to sleep if he isn't ready.
#10 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Well, Ferber's a great big...nevermind. I think babies do so well if they are left to schedule themselves.
I knew a "Ferber Lovin" person was out there somewhere!!
#11 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabelle1317
since now we are in FL (its so hot) but he really does need to be swaddled to sleep well.

What part of Florida?
#12 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 PM

At 5 months old my DS took 3 naps during the day.

They all lasted about 30 minutes long.

For ages I agonised how little he slept during the day and blamed myself as other babes seemed to sleep for longer.

Now I realise that I was silly to think that back then. My DS was happy and content and he got the sleep that he needed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page