TMI baby poops when mom poops - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's a weird question.

DD is turning 4 months old in a few days. when she was younger I could leave her in a swing or on a playmat and go potty without a problem. now she is a bit more aware and does not let me do that. so when I need to do my business during the day, if DD is not napping, I bring her into the bathroom with me and put her in her bouncy chair.

the first time I did this, she pooped also. I just thought it was a funny coincidence.

then the next time I did it, the same thing happened.

now a THIRD time, she did it again.

3 times Ive put her in the bouncy chair when I had to poo, and all 3 times she pooped alongside me.

has anyone else had this experience? I think its hilarious, but dunno if its common or not.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 PM

that's pretty funny. i would think it's just a coincidence....but I don't know. Interesting, nonetheless!
#3 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 PM

maybe you should try holding him over a potty on your lap while you go! You might find yourself at the start of a marvelous EC journey!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#4 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 PM

i've totally had the same experience. we EC, but now if I have to pee or poo, i have to take her first, otherwise she'll do whatever i'm doing (I know, totally TMI), in the bouncy chair we keep in the bathroom. i never really noticed that was happening until we'd really started ECing more often, and after about 2 mths when she started going less freqently. i've read in places that this often happens b/w a mom and a baby. I think if you're nursing and drinking enough water, you'll find it happens often with pees too.

i think you're dd is asking you to EC her!!! you can totally only do it when you have to go, IMO you don't have to do it all the time if you don't want to. just hold her over the pot for a little while, make some grunts/psssss sound and see what happens!!!

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#5 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 09:21 PM

I thought it was just us....Ds does it from the other room, I can hear him, but I think it's more of a timing thing than him knowing what I am doing in the bathroom. Our biological functions must be in sync!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#6 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM

My baby has almost always done this (she is 6 months now). Too funny!
#7 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 PM

I didn't know about EC but always could tell when my guy was pooping, so when he could sit up a bit, I started sitting him on the toilet when he started grunting. He seemed to love the freedom of open air beneath! And has been doing it ever since. Later I learned that there was a whole school of EC people.

Now that he is 14 months, it's not as consistent, sometimes he makes it into a will thing to do it or not, sometimes will and sometimes won't sit on his own potty, sometimes will sit with me on the big one -- but overall, I never push it (no pun intended!) and am glad that he is going to be so prepared for potty training and so used to it. He even waves bye bye to his poops and flushes when he does poop in the toilet. It's really worth the extra effort -- and much fewer poopy dipes to wash.
#8 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 09:22 PM

LOL, you'll have to install an extra toilet if you're gonna EC when the potty is occupied!

I wonder if the design of the bouncy chair has anything to do with it. Ours was nicknamed "The Pooping Chair" for obvious reasons!
#9 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM

Too funny! This has happened to me too. It seems like first thing in the morning is the worst. I really have to go, then DS has to go and then DD has to go too. I have had some interesting moments.
ETA: This is a really good sign to start practicing EC! You can actually put the baby on the toilet at the same time that you are going (just hold him/her in front of you as you sit over the bowl). BTW just in case EC is Elimination Communication, and there is a whole EC discussion board in teh MDC Diapering Forum.
#10 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 PM

Do you have the bouncy on a vibrate setting? For a long time my ds would always poop when in the vibrating bouncy! Eventually he would be poop when I put him in the exersaucer. Strange...but I've heard it's fairly common!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#11 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherb917
Do you have the bouncy on a vibrate setting? For a long time my ds would always poop when in the vibrating bouncy! Eventually he would be poop when I put him in the exersaucer. Strange...but I've heard it's fairly common!
We don't even need to turn on the vibrate setting. We actually don't put her in her seat very often b/c we know what is going to happen. We have to put a diaper on her to put her in her chairs, b/c of that!

It sucks actually. The only time we put her in her chair, it's b/c we need to do something that we can't do while holding her, like cooking on the gas stove. BUT, you end up spending all your time chaning her b/c she has massive pees and huge poops whenever she's in her chair!!! Catch 22!:

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#12 of 12 Old 08-24-2006, 12:36 AM

That's really frustrating, isn't it. Not to overdo the EC plugs...but the bouncy chair does kind of put the baby in the natural EC poo position (i.e. the way you would hold a baby over a receptacle). Same thing with car seats...we have had some issues with our baby pooing not 5 minutes after we get her in the car seat, regardless of opportunities presented beforehand.

Do you have some sort of back carrier you could put her in (for hot stove stuff, for example)?

Gosh, but when it comes down to it, babies will do what babies will do when they do it.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page