Has anyone biked with a sling/carrier? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-31-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've recently moved to Belgium, where we do a lot of things by bike. Ds1 can be in his bikeseat, and we just purchased a biketrailer (that has a babyseat), but for short trips I'm sometimes tempted to just carry ds2 (a few weeks old) in a sling and go. I'm a bit concerned about safety, although it's not like I ever just fall off my bike or anything. Maybe a Baby Bjorn type carrier might be more secure? Anyone have any experience with/knowledge about this?

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#2 of 17 Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM

I've thought about taking DS out when he's on my back in the mei tai. I've fallen before, but never onto my back, so I figure that would be the safest.... but I've been too chicken so far!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#3 of 17 Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM

I've never tried it but it sounds kind of scary! I wouldn't take a chance like that especially since the baby will be up that high with nothing protecting his little head.

Good Luck Mama
#4 of 17 Old 08-31-2006, 05:28 PM

I, also, have been tempted to hop in the bike with the baby, but I agree, it's just not safe. As Faithful Mommy said, the baby has no head protection - I know I always ride a bike with a helmet, even though I've never just fallen off, either! It's more the danger of someone hitting you, or perhaps an animal running out in front of you, etc., than you being negligent while biking, of course!

I wish there were a way to transport babies safely on wheels without the horrid carseat, though!
#5 of 17 Old 08-31-2006, 05:39 PM

I live in the Netherlands, where everything in done by bike. It's reasonably common to see people biking with babies in the Björn, but it's really not safe. If you fall or stop short and go forward against your handlebars, the baby gets squashed. And it seems like a good way to get whiplash since the baby is facing in.

We solved this problem by getting a bakfiets and putting our car seat in it. Since you're in Belgium, this would be a feasible option for you, too.

Another option would be to get a car seat frame for your bike. It's a wire frame that mounts onto the back of your bike and the infant car seat snaps right in. I don't have a link for this, but if you're interested in this option and don't know what I mean, just let me know and I'll help you. They are readily available here and aren't expensive. It's just a light wire thing. The only reason we didn't do this was that the bakfiets is safer, since the baby has the added protection of the bak, and we intend to have more kids so it will be useful for us for transport of multiple children in the future.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#6 of 17 Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM

Another reply from the Netherlands (hi Sarah )

I would say definitely use the bike seat, bike trailer or some other option rather than ride with a sling. We kept an infant car seat attached in our trailer when DD was little, and it was pretty quick to get out riding with her.
#7 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! You mamas (and dh) have convinced me to resist the temptation. What was I thinking?
Thanks for the link, Sarah. We had considered the bakfiets as an option, but decided on the trailer so we could also use it as a double stroller.

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#8 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 01:15 PM

I'd do this instead: http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/riding-with-baby.html

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#9 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We have biked with 7 month old ds in an Ergo on our backs. He looks so cute with his little helmet on I think it worked out much better than a bike seat. Oh...and my son is 24 lbs and rivals any 1-2 year old...so it would work with an older baby or younger I think.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize your babe was so young. I felt ds was perfectly safe on my back in the Ergo with his helmet on, but I can see your concern about a small baby. I personally like my ds close...those little trailors make me even more nervous. Like some car could side swipe him or something....I'm probably just silly.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#10 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Dawn, that's a cute link! The trailer we got is something like that, except it's for two kids. We just went for our first ride with it today, it went awesome! (which means: both kids were happy )

#11 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 05:55 PM

I've biked with my oldest in a sling before for short (<2 block) trips. I've been considering biking with my 8 mo. old on my back in the mei tai, with a helmet, of course. It seems as safe as a bike seat to me. We do have a trailer but I have a hard time pulling it, and I'd like to be able to ride on the sidewalk with my oldest on his bike.
#12 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
It seems as safe as a bike seat to me.
I disagree. If you go over your handlebars (I know, unlikely on a two block trip, but if you ever go further) I dread to think what would happen to your baby on your back. I believe that most people who do go over their handlebars -- which is a common biking accident -- land on their backs.

Why not get a bike seat? They're inexpensive, especially if bought used, and most babies love them. Mine ADORES riding in her bike seat. She yelps for the whole ride and we get tons of strange looks at the primal screams that she lets out.

I would hate to get in any sort of biking accident with my baby, but at least in the seat, she has a bit of metal around her to buffer a blow.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#13 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 PM

Honestly, the bike trailers scare me because drivers rarely pay attention to bikers, much less at a low to the ground trailer attached to the bike. There have been times myself where I've seen a biker and not noticed the trailer until they had already past me in my car. The thought of running into that trailer with a baby in it makes me shudder. I would go with the attached bike seat and use a helmet along with it.

Kylix
#14 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 06:56 PM

interesting idea
we have a baby seat thing........
but a sling might work out.

unsure.

practice with .....a doll or something first?
#15 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 PM

It seems very tempting, but no, I wouldn't. My mom is an experienced biker. One day she was riding on a flat bike trail, and her front tire accidentally bumped into my cousin's back tire. My mom fell, smashed up her face, and broke her tooth. It happened so fast, she didn't even have time to get her hands up in front of her face. Anyone can fall from a bike at any time. Not only would the baby's head be unprotected, but you may not be able to prevent yourself from falling on top of and crushing your child.

I love to bike, but I don't even take my babies in the trailer until they are old enough to hold up a helmet (about 1 year).

Here's a link on bike safety.
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/fir...ke_safety.html

Another link about why you should not bike with any infant under 12 months. And it has even made me reconsider biking with my 2 year old. Lots of issues I never considered.
http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#16 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylix
Honestly, the bike trailers scare me because drivers rarely pay attention to bikers, much less at a low to the ground trailer attached to the bike. There have been times myself where I've seen a biker and not noticed the trailer until they had already past me in my car. The thought of running into that trailer with a baby in it makes me shudder. I would go with the attached bike seat and use a helmet along with it.

Kylix
That's why you should always have a flag on the trailer. The trailers are safer overall.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#17 of 17 Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck
We solved this problem by getting a bakfiets and putting our car seat in it. Since you're in Belgium, this would be a feasible option for you, too.
Are these (or something similar) available in the US? I have a 4 year old and my husband and I want to start biking, but she isn't ready to ride on her own and I'm a little iffy on the bike trailers. Those bikes look wonderful!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page