July 06 babies and mamas - September 06 thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 274 Old 09-05-2006, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cindi- I know it's horrible. I can't even count the times in a day I tell that poor girl she has to wait because I'm changing this baby and then as soon as I'm done, the other one needs something and I have to put her on hold all over again. The first few weeks she was so distraught about it, I seriously told DH I felt like I broke her and ruined her life by giving her siblings. Things are getting better now, but I still really feel for her. I only hope that as they get older, I can re-focus a little bit more towards her. And that when they are all old enough to play with each other that they will be glad to have each other.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 08:34 AM

Hey all. What does everyone do about their babies nails?!? DS's nails are getting out of control, and dirty! Where has this guy been!? I was biting them off at first, while nursing, and then DS cut them off with some clippers. We haven't done anything in a while though.
#63 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 09:05 AM

I cut Nathan's with small, sharp scissors from CVS. They are probably the ones for nose hairs??? I don't remember how they label them! Nathan's nails get quite dirty and his hands full of lint - crazy since his hands are in a fist most of the time!
#64 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
~pi

Kate,

It's trite, but the biggest thing helping me with the emotional recovery from my c/s is time. I had a really tough time with it for the first six weeks or so, and then I started to become more at peace with it all. Nursing is also really healing for me because the c/s left me feeling betrayed by my body, but seeing DS grow and thrive on my milk is proof that in this, my body is doing what it's supposed to do.

I am also writing the birth story bit by bit. I finally requested my records from the hospital and plan to go over them with DH, my midwife, my OB, whoever will talk to me about them, etc. I've realized in writing it all down that I forgot huge chunks of it, mostly everything that happened while I was delirious with fever, so I need to reconstruct it for myself.

I'm doing a little bit of what if ..., but more in an academic way, because I think I did everything I personally could to have a gentle birth. But it's useful for me to think about it in case we do this again someday. Knowing more now about how my body works and how I respond to certain things, I might make objectively riskier decisions if there is a next time.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#65 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
~pi

And on a happier note, we have giggles here, too! DS started laughing in his sleep last week and on Saturday, laughed at my DH while awake. He's been finding more funny things ever since. This morning, he was having a fabulous time with the black-and-white mobile that I made and hung over the change area -- smiling at it, cooing, laughing. It was great.

#66 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 PM

I know I haven't posted much. DS1 started middle school and DS2 started preschool! I started school full time, as did DH, so it's craziness in our house until we all adjust. : Cadence had her 2 month check up yesterday. She was 6 pounds, 6 ounces at birth was was 8 pounds, 11 1/2 ounces yesterday. Doc says she's 100% healthy (yay for boobie juice!!). I couldn't believe she never even cried as he was checking her out. She was cooing and smiling at him! It was great!!
#67 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva
Nathan's nails get quite dirty and his hands full of lint - crazy since his hands are in a fist most of the time!
My DS gets the same way... dirt under the nails and lint between his thumb and index finger.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#68 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 03:34 PM

: to you c/section mama's. Be kind to yourselves.

re: fingernails, Kasen's grow like crazy - we use nail scissors. He STILL has some cord yet, so we can't do anything but sponge bath...so end up with the "toe jam" lint - everywhere, especially in the palm of his pudgy little hand!

I have very rary giggles here...but here's a "wow"...we are teething. K will be 4 weeks on Friday and we have the two bottom front teeth coming in. Wasn't ready for that...

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#69 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 PM

We had our 8 week well baby today, even though she will be 9 weeks tomorrow (close enough).

It's official folks, she's off the charts! She is 50th percentile for head circ, 75th still for her height, but she has left the charts for weight. I refer, to the boxer picture for amusing commentary.....

"And in this corner, weighing in at 14 lbs, 2.6 ozs......she's a scrapper, she's a chunky marshmallow, she has burly man belches, AUTUMN ROSALIE !!!!"

He he he!! That means that she has gained just under 3 lbs in a little less than 4 weeks. I got myself one chunky monkey!!

The pediatrician earned a black mark on my list by telling me that I am feeding her too often. She is going to be fed on demand, and that's that. Breastfed babies are supposed to be breastfed on demand. I am not going to plug her up with a paci if she would rather be eating. Not gonna happen.

However she was just fine with the fact that she is co-sleeping with us, and that we are delayed/selective vaccinating, and anything else that came up. So, she isn't all bad! I actually like her very much, but I greatly dislike her office. At this point they haven't given me good reason to switch, and I don't expect that they will. They'll work for now.
#70 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM

Sabbath, your boxer babe is waaay to cute. I love that look.

Count me in the "life too crazy to post" camp. Holy cow if I don't get some sleep I'm going to be nonfunctional. I went back to work yesterday, the girls went back to school yesterday. I'm hoping we'll all settle into some sort of rhythm. Because this 2 hours of sleep thing is NOT going to fly for long.

Ethan had his 4-week ped. visit yesterday. He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow. Are you all sitting down?

15 lbs 2 oz. He has gained 4.5 lbs in 4.5 weeks. No wonder I am always hungry.

I hear you about the ped, Sabbath. Ours got good marks for NOT saying I was feeding him too much, but black marks for telling me that it's my fault he was having a rough time falling asleep, I comfort him too much and that keeps him awake, and that if we don't "allow" him to learn to go to sleep he never will, and so I am to put him down in his crib between 5 and 6 pm (not like we're even home then half the time) and walk away. EXCUSE ME??? This baby is just 4 weeks old!! He even told me that they've done studies that show that babies are so tuned in to their mamas that if mom even pokes her head in the room where the baby is sleeping, the baby will wake within 15 minutes. So I'm not even supposed to check on him??!? Nuts, I tell you. I didn't get into it, though, I was too tired. I said "I'll take that into consideration." And I have - I consider him to be nuts. But again, we see eye to eye on many things, he takes good care of my kids when they are actually sick, and I don't have to have his permission to parent the way I do.
#71 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice
Ethan had his 4-week ped. visit yesterday. He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow. Are you all sitting down?

15 lbs 2 oz. He has gained 4.5 lbs in 4.5 weeks. No wonder I am always hungry.

You have some seriously pimpin' breastmilk Jessica.
#72 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM

WOOOW for those chunky monkies youguys have! How great for healthy munchkins.

Amara's 2 mo visit she weighed in at 11 lb 4 oz...75th percentile.
50th for height. She is lovely and much more "finita" than her sister, who was one of those monkies like y'all's got.
#73 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 PM

As for the nails ... I cut them when I can, but usually I just put a pair of socks over DS's hands so he doesn't draw blood when scratching himself.

I thought I had a chunk at 2 mos weighing in at 14 lbs 0 oz, but you all have cream fed babes!

What has everyone decided on vaxing? I'm starting the research and delaying until I make my final decision.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#74 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am to put him down in his crib between 5 and 6 pm (not like we're even home then half the time) and walk away. EXCUSE ME???
#75 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook
What has everyone decided on vaxing? I'm starting the research and delaying until I make my final decision.
I haven't vaxed since ds was 18 months old. With dd1, I was going to delay while I researched until she was at least two. She got closer to two and I realized that vaxing was not worth the risk. She'll be two next month and I'm officially an unvaxer (is that a word?).

It's always better to delay until you make your decision. As they say in the vax forum, you can always vax later but you cannot take back what is already injected. There are some wise women over there that have helped me a lot. It was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make so far as a parent.
#76 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 PM

Sabbath and Miss Juice--- hooray for your yummy healthy milk!!!!

Mason weighed in today at 7.5 weeks, 12 lbs even...that is 3.5 lbs in 4 weeks!!! We are delaying vax, I did some with my ds1, but stopped after a hot red lump at the injection site that last 4 months!!!!!!! We may pick his back up at three. This one may not get any since he has already had health problems, but if we do, it will not be before three.

Nails, oh I wait as long as possible and then do while nursing.

And poo poo on doctors that say feeding on demand is to much, and to let your baby CIO, and even if 4wks....crazy, I hope no other mamas listen to that advice:

With that being said happy sleeping, rocking, and snuggeling tonight mamas and babes!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#77 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 PM

Ohhhh and we are coooing and giggling here to! I just love getting talked to!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#78 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I'm currently reading _Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide_ by Aviva Romm. Interesting read! We are definitely delaying at least...

Way to go everyone on the healthy babes! I wish i could get ds weighed. We won't be going in to the ped until mid-Oct, mostly due to my scheduling conflicts. He'll be 3.5 months by then.
#79 of 274 Old 09-06-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD
It's official folks, she's off the charts! She is 50th percentile for head circ, 75th still for her height, but she has left the charts for weight. I refer, to the boxer picture for amusing commentary.....

"And in this corner, weighing in at 14 lbs, 2.6 ozs......she's a scrapper, she's a chunky marshmallow, she has burly man belches, AUTUMN ROSALIE !!!!"
Holy chunk! She's so cute!!! And um... you can't overfeed a breastfed baby... Lactation 101 doc :

What is it with my bighead kids? They don't look out of proportion or anything, but for head circumference DD1 has been 99th% since birth, and DD2 is 100th% (how is that even possible?)

Quote:
so I am to put him down in his crib between 5 and 6 pm (not like we're even home then half the time) and walk away.
Argggggh.... wtf! Why is it that pediatricians feel a need to give parenting advice? I will ask you for an opinion about my child's ILLNESS, not their sleeping habits. Thank you.

At the newborn appointment my doc asked if I had any other children. Upon hearing that I have a toddler she suggested I include the older child by xyz activities.... blah blah blah. I tuned out, then blandly said uh, right at the end of her schpiel. As if I asked... When she heard we didn't do the Hep B vaccine she went on a humongous 10 minute rant about how KIDS DIE every MINUTE from NOT RECEIVING VAXES and how HORRIBLE IT IS BECAUSE IT'S SO PREVENTABLE. *sigh* I have the feeling this doc is on her way out but we're giving her one last chance for the 2 month because she's right down the road!

Nails - I'm doing them every 3 days or so. I just cut them right after bath when they are nice and soft. DD is convinced she requires her hands to nurse so if I'm not up on the manicures she claws my boob. OW!
#80 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Holy chunk! She's so cute!!! And um... you can't overfeed a breastfed baby... Lactation 101 doc :
Thanks! It's definately not her most flattering face, but I love that pic. :
#81 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 01:43 AM
~pi

Quote:
[ped said] it's my fault he was having a rough time falling asleep, I comfort him too much and that keeps him awake, and that if we don't "allow" him to learn to go to sleep he never will, and so I am to put him down in his crib between 5 and 6 pm (not like we're even home then half the time) and walk away. EXCUSE ME??? This baby is just 4 weeks old!!
Yikes!

Laura, we vax, mainly because I did a numerical risk/benefit analysis and for us, the benefits outweigh the risks. I agree with pps, though. If you are not sure, wait. You can get them later if you decide that's the way you want to go.

Sabbath, that is a super-cute shot of Autumn!

ETA: Nails -- DH cuts them with baby nail clippers while I nurse and/or hold DS.

#82 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
And on a happier note, we have giggles here, too! DS started laughing in his sleep last week and on Saturday, laughed at my DH while awake. He's been finding more funny things ever since. This morning, he was having a fabulous time with the black-and-white mobile that I made and hung over the change area -- smiling at it, cooing, laughing. It was great.
We're getting laughs too! It's awesome. :

Re:vaxing, we decided a while ago that we weren't doing any vaxes.
#83 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 PM

i also read aviva jill romm's book- excellent material. we decided to delay until prob 4 or 5 yrs old and only do a few select vaxs (polio & DT for them all, mumps for my boy only and rubella for my girls only).

if you ever want to check your baby's weight btwn doc visits, try either the grocerey store produce section or the post office. you might get a few funny looks, but you'll get a good rough estimate of their weight!

has anyone taken a look at the growth charts from the WHO? facinating differences btwn those (which are based on exclusive BFing to 6mo) and the growth charts most American docs use (which are a mix of BFing and FFing). My son is only 25th percentile on the standard chart, but 50th on the WHO chart! i took them in to my FP to take a look at and he was interested. you can download them from the WHO site as .pdf files. of course all you mommas with the hunks o' chunk probably don't need them!!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#84 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

#85 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi
Laura, we vax, mainly because I did a numerical risk/benefit analysis and for us, the benefits outweigh the risks.
~pi, I totally you. This is just so YOU. Can you tell me more about this analysis?
#86 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 PM

I just thought I'd post a link to a very interesting thread mostly for those who do vax, but it's great info for everyone.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=vitamin+C
#87 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 08:20 PM

Kate- I am defintely going to try the grocery scale...anyone know how high they go????

I always have believed in the power of Vitamin C. I am a firm believer in mega doses for illnesses.

I also am curious about the analysis of the numerical risks...more research you do the better the decision, and I am not 100% on what to do later down the road.

On another note, I have gotten 4 hours of sleep a night for two nights. LOTS of night nursing after a week or so of getting a good 6-7 hour stretch, then no sleep at all from the little guy today. You think you have it all figured out and then WHAMMO everything changes :

#88 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama
You think you have it all figured out and then WHAMMO everything changes :
: It's 2:45am here right now and I should be asleep! But the little guy is not interested in sleeping - the same little guy who has been sleeping through the night since he was born!!!!! Sigh.
#89 of 274 Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The pediatrician earned a black mark on my list by telling me that I am feeding her too often.
Be aware that this ped may then suggest starting solids early, giving fatty foods, etc if she suddenly slows down. It is quite normal for bf babies to really beef up the first few months and then dramatically slow down. It seems to really freak peds out and has ruined a lot of bf relationships. Might be good to track her on the WHO charts. (Cute pic by the way! )
#90 of 274 Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM

DD3 is starting to keep at a schedule, more a routine like. She was already in bed for the night at 10pm. The night before last,( I'm knocking wood), she nursed at 9pm, then fell asleep by 10pm, and slept until 5am. It was a nice break and sleep too. I hope this is the begin a of beautiful thing that will last. (dd1 slept thru from 2mths to 9 mths and then never did so again but a few times).

But then last night, she woke up at every 4 hrs like usual. So we'll see how she does.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page