Convertible for NB? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted before about whether to go with the infant bucket vs. the convertible for a newborn, and I eventually decided on the bucket. Turns out that thru medicaid I am eligible for a free car seat and the one they gave was a convertible--the cosco scenera. I think I'll just stick with this and forget the bucket...however, there's this nagging feeling I have when I look at the car seat that it's just too freakin' big! I've never had a baby and don't have so much contact with little ones so maybe I'm out of touch as to how small/big they are. And after all, the seat is rated to fit as low as 5 lb.

So can the convertible users give me some kind of reassurance or info about how it is with a nb in a convertible? Am I just being paranoid or what? :
Is there anyone who felt like the convertible just wasn't cutting it for their baby? And I'd appreciate input from any cosco scenera users on how you liked your seat.

Thanks a bunch mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2006, 07:44 PM

It says your carseat is safe rear facing for infants 5-35 lbs. It probably looks tall but when you consider the fact that you can move the straps to the baby's shoulder height it will work perfect. Would something like this make you feel more comfortable about it?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2403185

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4631109

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4631107
Old 09-02-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

From what I understand these aftermarket products aren't safe to use with carseats...only products that come directly from the carseat manufacturer are okay. What the car seat techs did say was that putting receiving blankets rolled up on the side of the head was okay as it doesn't come between belt and baby. I guess even then the seat just seems to be so large for such a small person, kwim?

Also the seat when rear facing if you push on the back of it tips a little bit towards the back of the car. the tech did say that this was okay, it's actually supposed to "give" a little bit in that direction (as opposed to side-to-side where it has to be snug). Aren't infant seats a bit more firmly settled into the seat from all directions?

I'm probably just overanalyzing...
Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have that exact carseat and used it since my son was 1 day old. He was a little on the large side at 8lbs 11oz 21" but I wanted to chime in and say it worked perfectly for us. I rolled up a recieving blanket and arched it over his head and on the sides while his neck strength wasn't quite enough to manage his head (3 wks). Also, do the rolled up towel under the edge of the seat thing to make it lean back enough (to where the sticker says level to ground).
Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM

I have a convertible, a Britax Galaxy. When dd was a newborn, she just sort of slumped inside it, looking absolutely lost, even though we tried propping her up with assorted rolled-up cloth diapers. Didn't seem very safe to me. But once she hit 4-6 weeks and put on another couple of pounds, she started to fill the seat better and it looked safer for her. So while the fit for a newborn isn't that great, the situation lasts only about a month or so and I reckon the convertible is still great value for my money.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:30 PM

We have the Scenera in my car and it was very hard to install tightly and even harder to get the straps tight when G was rear facing. Just an FYI re the seat. I;m sure it would make a difference with what kind of car you drive (I have a Toyota Matrix). However, even though the seat is more challenging for me, G prefers it to the Evenflo Triumph in DH's vehicle.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 PM

It will be too big but then again, the infant carseat is too big too. Something that will help your baby fit more snug is the snuzzler by kiddopotamus.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 PM

Is your question about installing the convertable or about it being too big?

I don't remember ever seeing anything that says not to use something designed for extra padding in the carseat. It would be the same concept as the recieving blankets but it was actually designed for the carseat.

Installation shouldn't be that bad. My bucket seat leaves a little wiggle room front/back but not side/side. I was concerned about it at first but I tightened the straps as tight as I could get them. It took me 15 minutes to click them in because they were so tight. It still wiggles a little.

Maybe you should have somebody look at it to see if it is installed correctly so that you feel better about it. If you really don't like it, you can still go get the bucket and save this one for when your baby outgrows a bucket.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 AM

I have two of the costco sceneras and I had each one installed at a different place. I researched the purchased prior to getting them (which is why I chose the scenera) and I was a little crazy about making sure they were in right. So I went to two different places to make sure I got all the information that I could.

I was told that the head supports that go behind the baby are bad because they can act like a slip-and-slide during an accident. If they weren't part of the safety testing of the carseat, then you really have no idea how they will act with your particular carseat in a crash. And I was told, like you, that's it's okay for the seat to tip back (up) a little, as long as it doesn't move side to side.

My DD came home from the hospital in her scenera..She was 22 inches long and was very close to being too small for the straps. Also, I pulled the harness as tight as it went and it was just perfect for her, maybe a little on the tight side, since I'm a nut about her being totally secure in there. It wouldn't go any smaller, so a baby that was much smaller might have been just a little loose. I don't think you should get the infant seat, but I do want you to know that this seat might be just a tad too big at first. Of course, I took my DD home in a disposable provided by the hospital, but use cloth diapers now. Since those are bigger, maybe if you put you dc in a cloth diaper it will help! And by two weeks, she was fitting in it so much better.

Lisa - dd 6-06
Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies... those with the sceneras, it makes me feel better that they worked for you.

I did have the seat checked by a tech and although they did okay it and everything I guess I'm just crazy! : After seeing the videos of crash tests and car seats, you get a li'l paranoid, kwim?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizty
Is your question about installing the convertable or about it being too big?

I don't remember ever seeing anything that says not to use something designed for extra padding in the carseat. It would be the same concept as the recieving blankets but it was actually designed for the carseat.

Installation shouldn't be that bad. My bucket seat leaves a little wiggle room front/back but not side/side. I was concerned about it at first but I tightened the straps as tight as I could get them. It took me 15 minutes to click them in because they were so tight. It still wiggles a little.

Maybe you should have somebody look at it to see if it is installed correctly so that you feel better about it. If you really don't like it, you can still go get the bucket and save this one for when your baby outgrows a bucket.
nak...
Aftermarket products like the snuzzler are NOT safe. They can compress with the force of a crash and leave the harness too loose to restrain the child correctly. Check out these links:

http://www.carsafety4kids.com/aftermarket.html

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/aftermarket.aspx

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q52
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Cylnnr - Thanks for the information.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:47 PM

You're welcome. I hope that didn't come out sounding mean--it's so hard to type with a babe in one hand, KWIM? I use the snuzzler for my jogging stroller and love it! Just not in the carseat.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:18 AM

I posted on your other thread too! This is actually a GREAT convertible to start w/ if you want to start w/ one. We have one in our collection (I have 7 seats and 2 kids, it's a collection, lol) and it's been a great seat for $40. The straps on this are super low (7.5" I think which is right where my boys where when they were born) so it fits them well. I've seen little babies in it and they look great. I would either call Cosco and ask about a head support (you should be able to order them from them so THAT would be a safe option) or just get used to the idea of using receiving blankets around the baby to keep them positioned right. Also, we talked about the pool noodles in the other thread, you'll definitely need 3! My Scenera doesn't recline much at all and I still feel like I need pool noodles when Evan uses it and he's almost 2!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List