Baby is taking a super long nap - Mothering Forums
Life With a Baby > Baby is taking a super long nap
GooeyRN's Avatar GooeyRN 05:19 PM 09-05-2006
My 10 month old dd is napping now for 2.5 hours. (only nap of the day) She has NEVER napped this long before. She normall naps between 20-45 mins twice a day. I did just check on her and she did roll over and her breathing is normal. She did sleep terrible last night. How long should I let her sleep before waking her? I don't want her up all night tonight again. It is now 3:15pm where we are. Thanks in advance.

Sol's Avatar Sol 05:23 PM 09-05-2006
My dd's a big sleeper - at 10 months she was sleeping an hour mid-morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon, and then sleep 12 hours at night - so I don't know how relevant my experience is to your situation, but I would not let any of mine sleep for longer than 2.5 hours in the daytime.
GooeyRN's Avatar GooeyRN 05:30 PM 09-05-2006
Thanks. I guess I should go get her up. I was enjoying the free time which I don't ever get... But I would like to be able to sleep tonight, too.
runes's Avatar runes 05:31 PM 09-05-2006
dd just did that yesterday too, and she's 10 months. but she's also getting over a little cold. could that be going on? teething?

dd is usually really consistent with taking 3 naps per day, ranging anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour each. well yesterday she had already taken 3 naps by noontime, then took a 2+ hour nap in the afternoon. i was concerned that she might not be able to sleep well last night, she did want to roll and crawl around the bed for 15 minutes but she fell asleep and stayed asleep for the rest of the night (except for nursing...of course...but i don't count that.) so i figured she just needed the extra rest to recover from the sniffles (which she has, by the way...extra zzzz's and some sodium ascorbate and she's doing much better this morning! )

so is there anything else going on that might be contributing to your dd needing a little bit of extra sleep right now?
GooeyRN's Avatar GooeyRN 05:34 PM 09-05-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration
dd just did that yesterday too, and she's 10 months. but she's also getting over a little cold. could that be going on? teething?

dd is usually really consistent with taking 3 naps per day, ranging anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour each. well yesterday she had already taken 3 naps by noontime, then took a 2+ hour nap in the afternoon. i was concerned that she might not be able to sleep well last night, she did want to roll and crawl around the bed for 15 minutes but she fell asleep and stayed asleep for the rest of the night (except for nursing...of course...but i don't count that.) so i figured she just needed the extra rest to recover from the sniffles (which she has, by the way...extra zzzz's and some sodium ascorbate and she's doing much better this morning! )

so is there anything else going on that might be contributing to your dd needing a little bit of extra sleep right now?
DH has a cold, maybe she is fighting it off. She doesn't appear sick or have any snot or anything, but maybe she is busy fighting it. Thanks for the idea.
jillmamma's Avatar jillmamma 05:45 PM 09-05-2006
I have noticed my kids tend to take longer naps sometimes when they are getting ready to have a big growth spurt. Maybe she is growing a bunch?
GooeyRN's Avatar GooeyRN 05:50 PM 09-05-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma
I have noticed my kids tend to take longer naps sometimes when they are getting ready to have a big growth spurt. Maybe she is growing a bunch?
I haven't thought of that. She has been taking in a bit more food lately, so thats a possibility, too.
DebHibb's Avatar DebHibb 08:23 PM 09-05-2006
Collin sleeps and eats a ton when he's having a growth spurt. On more than one occasion, I've peeked in his room to see if he's still breathing when he's taken extraordinarily long naps. And I'm far from the paranoid type.
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 09:17 PM 09-05-2006
I let dd sleep as long as she needs. She'll take naps that are between 1-2 hours during the day (though they can be longer or shorter), and sleep about 12 hours at night (with night wakings, usually every 3-4 hours). I wouldn't wake a baby that's napping longer than usual. Dd's longer naps have never interfered with her bedtime, so I assume she needs it.

(I would make an exception to my rule if dd was regularly taking long naps and not sleeping at night, but she still sleeps, even when she takes a longer nap.)
Sol's Avatar Sol 10:13 PM 09-05-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebHibb
Collin sleeps and eats a ton when he's having a growth spurt. On more than one occasion, I've peeked in his room to see if he's still breathing when he's taken extraordinarily long naps. And I'm far from the paranoid type.
I'm generally not paranoid too, but I definitely have to check they're still breathing if they sleep longer than usual!
Caroline248's Avatar Caroline248 10:36 PM 09-05-2006
I am sure she is up now but I saw your location. MY son slept all day today and is bed again now. The rain in PA is pretty yucky today and all my kids always sleep really well in crappy weather...

~C~
Lkg4dmcrc's Avatar Lkg4dmcrc 12:08 AM 09-06-2006
Sleep begets sleep- so I say let him sleep if he needs it and don't worry that he won't sleep at night. I actually find the opposite to be true- if mine misses a nap, he has a terrible time sleeping at night. We just recently went through a period where he slept 14 and 1/2 hours each night and a 2-3 hour nap during the day. Even with a super long nap, he still slept a lot at night.
StrawberryFields's Avatar StrawberryFields 12:56 AM 09-06-2006
I know I am late to the discussion but personally I let ds (9 mo) sleep as long as he needs to and sometimes he does take a long nap--3 hours or so--especially if it's the only one of the day. It has never affected his sleep at night and I feel like if he is sleeping that long and sound his body must really need it.
Up