Is it too late at 6 months to start using a sling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2006, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am asking for a sling for Christmas due to not being able to afford one right now. My DS will be 6 months at that time. Is it too late to introduce a sling at that point? Will he be to big for it? We use a Baby Hawk sometimes right now and he doesn't seem to like it. I never manage to wear it so that he and I are both comfortable. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 AM

If he likes being carried, I'm sure he'll adjust to the sling! I don't have experience with this, but the sling is for you as much as it's for him, so you can support his weight better. It took me a couple weeks to get the position right in the sling even starting witha newborn, and as she grows we are still always adjusting for better positioning. You find the right position faster as you get used to it, that's all.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 AM

Definitely not too late. I started about that time with my first baby. He was big and heavy and floppy until about that age--when he could sit up etc. It really helped me use the sling earlier for my next babe. I just thought of the sling as exra support for carrying him. I used the hip-carry a lot.
I used the sling to help me carry toddlers! Really as long as they are still small enough to want/need to be carried and you have a sling that fits, they are never to big. Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 AM

Not too late at all. There are a variety of different carries especially with an older baby. They really start getting heavy after a few months and a sling can make a huge difference. Considering you can use it until the baby is about 35 pounds it is definitely worth it. Just don't be discouraged if there is a bit of a learning curve. Some baby take a little nudging to get used to it. I found putting baby in and getting moving right away made a big difference.
Wendi
Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 AM

I don't think it's too late. My DD was 1 when we started.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 AM

I loved the hip carry at this age. Definately not too old to introduce.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 AM

I use my carrier more now than I did when she was born... She wasn't heavy then!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 AM

I've known one baby who was started later who didn't like it, but that's not exactly a broad sampling.

Can you, or anyone who likes you a lot, sew? It's pretty easy and cheap to make a few different types of carriers. If you can sew a straight line, you can do it. You can even chop up old bedsheets or curtains for them, either old stuff you have or hit the salvy. Check out http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html for some ideas. There are also some that are no-sew, like wraps or the fleece ring sling.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Not too late at all. the worst part of it is that you will just WISH you got a carrier sooner. Also check out wearyourbaby.com. They have some great DIY instructions. Even if you can't sew!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 AM

I didn't use a sling with my oldest until he was over a year, because the ring sling I had didn't work for me. I still carry him in it sometimes, at 3.5! My littlest has been slung since birth, I couldn't manage two kids any other way!
Also, have you tried a back carry with your mei tai? I love doing that and started when my little guy was 6 wks. old.

User Tag List