Do GERD babies ever *not* cry/fuss about the pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 4.5 months and has been the sweetest, smiliest little guy since birth. He's never cried inconsolably about *anything* ever, and rarely does more than fuss here and there. He's gained weight very quickly (8-10 at birth, ~17# at 4 months). However, since 3 weeks of age he's been a puker. Somedays it's everytime he eats, somedays less often, and rarely not at all. Dairy got the boot at 6 weeks, which seemed to decrease the volume and frequency of the vomits. However, they continue. A lot. Sometimes it's watery/milky, sometimes thick, yucky cheese. What concerns me is that it's gotten very sour smelling and often his breath is sour as well. Could we have GERD here or just a spitty baby? I worried about ignoring the possibility of GERD and doing damage to his esophogus (and keeping him uncomfortable ). So, let me hear it ladies...do GERD babes ever *not* scream about it?

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#2 of 8 Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 PM

Yes, these babies are often referred to as "happy spitters" because they do not experience pain.

The main difference, as I understand it, is that while many/most babies will spit up milk, some also spit up stomach acid and that is what triggers the pain.

If your little one is unbothered by the spit up and is gaining weight then no need to worry.
#3 of 8 Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 PM

I've had 2 happy spitters, big time spitters. The docs tell me nothing to worry about if they're gaining and not complaining.

The spitting is annoying, but it could be worse.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#4 of 8 Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 PM

My DS is a "happy chucker" too! Every feeding he pukes. Sometimes even when he hasn't eaten in a while. We are pretty sure he has reflux and the doc prescribed us zantac but we've never used it. If he seems fine with it, I'm not going to give him unnecessary chemicals! The doc said that all babies reflux but that it doesn't bother all of them. Mine does more than most, but seems fine with it. We do use LOTS of bibs though!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#5 of 8 Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!!! Another question if I may....are your babe's spit ups pretty stinky sometimes? If I had something that sour in my tummy *I'd* sure be uncomfy! Have you found anything to be helpful?

Dylan'sMommy.....we have soooo many bibs!!!

#6 of 8 Old 09-13-2006, 02:57 AM

Yeah, some days are stinker than others. And some days I notice that he is a little uncomfortable, but not screaming or anything. I cut out dairy for 2 months but then slowly reintroduced it and it didn't make any difference. I wonder if it is something in my diet. I am interested to see if anyone else has found something that helps. Dylan just seems to comfort nurse when he is a little uncomfy... which leads to more barfing.

Wittyone- I run out of bibs before any other article of clothing. And every time I am at the store I buy more. I always get the ones without the plastic back, those always just make it drip off. I need the extra absorbent ones. Which are then soaked in about an hour.

This is so gross... but I have to share. I have a little dog that hears the sound of Dylan barf and comes running to lick it off the floor. We used to always run her off... but now we just let her lick it up. EWWWWWWWWWW. She loves it.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#7 of 8 Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan'sMommy
Yeah, some days are stinker than others. And some days I notice that he is a little uncomfortable, but not screaming or anything. I cut out dairy for 2 months but then slowly reintroduced it and it didn't make any difference.

This is so gross... but I have to share. I have a little dog that hears the sound of Dylan barf and comes running to lick it off the floor. We used to always run her off... but now we just let her lick it up. EWWWWWWWWWW. She loves it.

You're giving me hope I've been thinking about slowly adding in some dairy (I MISS CHEESE!!!) I won't yet b/c he seems to have a sensitive gut overall (cherries are very bad, pitted fruit in general seems bad, it appears eggs are out, you get the picture), but maybe I won't have to wait until he weans

I hear you on the comfort nurse = more barfing...sometimes he's barfed all over and asks to nurse again, of course I do but I'll say something like "so you want some more ammo, eh?" And my parent's dog loves baby spit up

#8 of 8 Old 09-13-2006, 02:34 PM

I have 1 refluxer and 2 happy spitters. DH was convinced they all had reflux because they all spat up a lot, but only Shira is in agony when it happens. Also, as a NICU nurse explained, babies don't realize that over eating=spitting up=mess. To them it is just comfort and mommy time.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page