Robeez look alikes- opinions please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would really love to get some robeez for my little girl, but we just don't have the extra $$$ floating around to justify paying $25+ for a pair of shoes. I've been watching auctions on ebay and w/ shipping it would be just as expensive to get a used pair than to get a pair new here in town. So, I've done some looking and found that both Target and Wal-Mart have robeez look-alikes for $13 and $10 respectively. I am wondering if either one is acceptable or comparable to the robeez? Anyone have experience with either one? TIA
#2 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 AM

We've had several pairs of the Target ones and been VERY pleased. They've held up well to abuse. The only wear issue is that eventually the bottoms got slick. But it took MONTHS.

-Angela
#3 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 03:42 AM

I got two walmart pairs off ebay, and they are great. DS has LONG feet, and skinny leggs, so it is great to find someting that will stay up. I dont know that I will ever get anymore, i HATE walmart. I will try the target kind next.

I have a pair of slipper like shoes from target, and I LOVE them, nice and warm.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#4 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 09:22 AM

www.joshoes.com
Jody makes soft soled leather shoes. They are MUCH more affordable than the Robeez, but are made by a real person. She has super cute colors too.
#5 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.! I looked at the joshoes site and would go that route except that the ones that I looked at are just as $ as the robeez I could get locally. ($25) so, I will probably check the stock at target and see what I find.
#6 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 11:51 AM

I didn't care for the Robeez. I bought a pair at Good Will (Brand new in the package for $2.99!). I thought they were hard to get on his little feet. Maybe it was the style-they had elephants on them-or because he's still so little. He very rarely wears shoes, but they were just so cute that I had to get them.
#7 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
We've had several pairs of the Target ones and been VERY pleased. They've held up well to abuse. The only wear issue is that eventually the bottoms got slick. But it took MONTHS.

-Angela
When the bottoms get slick, you can rough them up again with a piece of sandpaper.

I think any little shoe like that would work just fine, as long as it's totally flexible like the Robeez.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
#8 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 11:56 AM

Olivia has two pair of the Target ones and I love them. She actually keeps them on her feet and they go on so easy.
#9 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 11:56 AM

I actually prefer the faux-bees we have to the real Robeez. The kind I have are "Luna" brand - I have no idea where they came from because they were a gift.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#10 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 11:56 AM

We love are Target brand soft shoes! They have held up super well and I'll probably get 2 kids worth of use out of them.
#11 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 PM

The Target and Payless styles are nice. I actually am not a Robeez fan. I prefer Pedoodles and Jack and Lily over them.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#12 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 02:11 PM

same here - dd wears her target robeez-style shoes just about every day, we love them. thanks for the sandpaper tip, i'll have to remember that when ours get slick!
#13 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 02:16 PM

ugh, i have a similar problem. i just bought haye these ones: click to see them
in size XL (5 and 3/4 inches) and they BARELY fit him! i paid like, 40 bucks for them too. : they are amazing, platypaws from australia, and all suede...but this is the biggest size they have. haye is JUST ABOUT starting to walk alone (he walks everywhere holding onto things/walls) and needs some soft soled shoes that are WIDE. any recommendations? i don't want to keep paying tons and tons for shoes, but i want him in shoes, you know? maybe i could start making them, or pay someone to make them custom fit to his feet.

mama to 8 year old haye  and 3 year old zao
#14 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just bought a Target pair for the winter and waiting to see how they hold up

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#15 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM

The Target ones are really wide... my dd has my wide feet and high instep and they fit her fine with room.

-Angela
#16 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 05:22 PM

ive seen old navy "faux-bees", lol, on kids at work, and they seem to be holding up well

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#17 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 05:26 PM

We have a couple pairs of the Wal-Mart ones and found that the elastic around the ankle was far too tight. DD2 has red marks around her ankles whenever we take them off.
#18 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM

If you are looking at getting appliqued JoShoes, they can cost almost as much as Robeez. However, they are made by a real person, a mom. They are not made by a giant faceless company who pays the real workers pennies. If you are willing to do basic shoes, which are incredibly cute by the way, They cost less than $15 a pair. We got lime ones with orange polka dots on them for this summer. Samuel just outgrew a pair and he was the 4th child to wear them. I washed them in the sink and they look almost new.
#19 of 60 Old 09-15-2006, 06:06 PM

I love the Target robeez knockoffs! I bought dd a pair when she was around 8 months old (when she started cruising furniture), and she's still wearing them at 20 months and they're just starting to get really worn-looking. And this is inside and outside use, they've gotten wet, dd has probaby put on hundreds of miles with all the walking/running around she does. I'd definitely recommend them.
#20 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 01:14 AM

we found some at disney store with simba on them ADORABLE pr 9.99 and a pair at babies r'us with Sail boats for 12.99 woo hoo...they are both super cute
#21 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 03:29 AM

Last winter, we had the Target ones. Next size up, we got Robeez. I don't notice any difference in quality. She's almost outgrown the Robeez now though. I'll get another pair of them if I can, but if it's the difference between eating less than optimal vs. buying more economically responsible shoes... well, something's gotta give somewhere. I'll let you know next paycheck which is it.
#22 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 03:41 AM

Hmmm, interesting - we got the Target ones and they were not at all as nice, in my opinion. They got stiff - - like, REALLY stiff - - when they got wet and they just didn't fell as nice overall.

Stay CLEAR of the isabooties - I got a pair last year in the hopes of finding a non-leather, soft sole shoe that we'd like as much as the Robeez and was SO disappointed. First, they made her feet stinky! Tiny little baby feet? Stinky? Obviously they did not breathe at all.

Second (and maybe most importantly) the stitching came apart THREE times at the toes. We repaired each time, and it would rip within a day or two. Awful, awful quality.
#23 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Subbing for more ideas!:
#24 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 02:03 PM

We just got our joshoes in the mail for my 3.5 yr. old, and these shoes are WAY WAY better than the Robeez he just outgrew. We got the basic style, black with green bands around the ankle. The leather is much sturdier, and I got them fully lined with fleece, for still less than the price of a pair of Robeez! I just can't believe how cute and sturdy these shoes are- my kids will wear these until they outgrow the 6-7 yr. size.
#25 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 03:22 PM

I saw a small pr. of George brand organic leather shoes at Walmart. I only saw one pr., though and couldn't tell you how much they run or if they are good. We bought the Wiggees brand shoe through the MDC co-op for about $12 new. They don't seem as sturdy as the robeez, though. Also, if you don't mind second hand, check the trading post on MDC. I just got a pr for $6ppd. They may look a little used, but the quality is still there.
#26 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 03:28 PM

We have a pair of the Target ones. DS must be really hard on shoes, because they got worn-looking after just a few wears. He is not walking yet and prefers crawling down the sidewalk, so I guess scraping the toes on cement would do any shoe in! We got a pair of tan ones with elephants and the first time they got dirty I surface-washed them with just water and a cloth and some of the tan coloring came off.

However, for $12 I think they were a great buy and he still wears them even though they are a little shoddy looking. No other shoe or sock will stay on his feet. He can take them off, but waits until we get back in the house before he does.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#27 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 PM

I love the Target ones for my daughter. I didn't know Payless had them too...gotta go check those out!
#28 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 05:56 PM

I'm a voice of dissent on the Target shoes. My daughter wore a hole through the bottom in three days. She's a new walker and insists upon walking everywhere. I had been using a pair of Robeez that had been handed down to her, when she outgrew those I thought I would save money by buying Target. : I replaced the worn out Target shoes with a pair of Robeez - wish I had just gone with what worked in the first place.
#29 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 06:32 PM

This lady sells the shoes for $19 a pair with $1 shipping. She also sells the pattern for $5. http://www.makethemyourself.com./
#30 of 60 Old 09-16-2006, 06:57 PM

I like the Target knock offs. They held up quite well with DS, and they have some really cute styles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page