non-leaching safe sippy cups for 6 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-17-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend said she saw some advertised in Mothering but haven't found them. Anyone have any ideas? He is strictly breastfed but he loves to drink out of my water cup so much that I want to get him his own cup. Thanks for any help, Angie
#2 of 33 Old 09-17-2006, 06:46 PM

I don't know about sippy cups, but I just bought a SIGG children's water bottle that I plan on using instead of a cup (we'll see how that goes...) they are non-leaching metal and have safe plastic tops that let liquids out pretty easily, but not with much spill- and they are really cute!
#3 of 33 Old 09-17-2006, 06:48 PM

i suggest sigg too.
#4 of 33 Old 09-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Lou

Klean Kanteen just came out with a stainless steel sippy cup! woo hoo!
#5 of 33 Old 09-17-2006, 10:29 PM

lou, could you provide a link to the sippy cup somewhere? i found the klean kanteen website (kleankanteen.com) but didn't see a sippy cup per se, just the kid kanteen. am i not looking hard enough?
#6 of 33 Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 PM

okay, i just found the sippy spout under the "accessories" heading. i'm guessing you just add that to one of the kids' bottles. (?)
#7 of 33 Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Lou

the link to the sippy cups - sippy cups

I'm getting some in the mail soon! Can't wait!
#8 of 33 Old 09-18-2006, 01:48 AM

Okay can someone please tell me what "leaching" means?
#9 of 33 Old 09-18-2006, 02:47 AM

This site carries SIGG and Kleen Kanteen products:
http://www.reusablebags.com
#10 of 33 Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamaOf3 View Post
Okay can someone please tell me what "leaching" means?
Plastic products basically leak horrible things into water and thus all the eco people avoid 'em.

Ladies, I was going to post the EGGZACT same question about sippy cups, thanks!
#11 of 33 Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM

the reusable bags site is good, I highly reccomend the sigg sippy's. Also you can purchase them on EBAy, the "Edward James Store" on there has a lot.

My daughter has 3 for when we are out and about, and we use glass at home. She is 2.5
#12 of 33 Old 09-18-2006, 10:23 PM

This is great info. My son's current sippies are #2 (yes, he is 6 and still must use a sippy for his milk before bed -comfort thing!). Is #2 considered a leaching plastic? I thought 1s and 2s were safer?
#13 of 33 Old 09-19-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlheckle View Post
the reusable bags site is good, I highly reccomend the sigg sippy's. Also you can purchase them on EBAy, the "Edward James Store" on there has a lot.

My daughter has 3 for when we are out and about, and we use glass at home. She is 2.5
Is the SIGG sippy really a sippy? My dd like to take her sippy cup in bad in case she will want to drink some water at night. Can I put SIGG sippy in bed?
#14 of 33 Old 09-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Unless they've changed them, the SIGG will leak. Klean Kanteen ones have an advent top that should have an anti-leaking valve.
#15 of 33 Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 PM

We use thick glass shot glasses for water at home, but are buying a Klean Kanteen sippy for when we're out.
#16 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 02:32 AM

Okay.

SIGG bottles ARE PLASTIC ON THE INSIDE. Relatively safe, non-leaching plastic. Kleen Kanteen are even better. The bad plastic is polycarbonate- the hard, clear plastic that basically all baby bottles (nice ) are made out of.

I'm sure there are sippy cups out there made with non-polycarbonate plastic for those of us unable to afford kleen kanteens. I know we will need one with a no-drip lid, which rules out the siggs. I didn't know that there was a top that fits the kleen kanteen that acts like a true sippy cup.. an avent top? Does anyone have a link to that? Thanks

Anyone else have experiences with non-polycarbonate sippy cups? I actually think the top is more important than the cup- the tops get all chewed up by little teeth that then ingest some of the plastic from that area. I wonder what is the best kind for *that* problem...
#17 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM

#3, #6 and #7 are bad plastic
#1, #2, #4, #5 are non leaching..

I use the care2.com guide.

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/2082
#18 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 12:53 PM

This article lists some brands to avoid... and also some non-polycarbonate plastic sippys that are better to use..

http://www.iatp.org/iatp/publication...21&refID=77083
#19 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 05:04 PM

Fantastic- that was the document I was thinking of that I could not remember anything about. That's very helpful!
#20 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 06:35 PM

We have a SIGG bottle for ds. As far as I know, the lining is an inert baked on coating, but I don't think it's plastic (though I could be wrong). We haven't had problems with it leaking and ds likes it so far.
#21 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 PM

The links were great - just what I was looking for.

What about disposible bottle liners? How do you know which type of plastic they are made from? I don't see anything on the box. I normally don't use them but have on occassion if I wasn't able to get everything washed. :
#22 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 AM

The inner liner of a SIGG bottle is a water based liner.
#23 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 11:08 AM

I have never given her the sigg in bed, so not exactly sure how that would work. It has a sport top on it, which has a small hole that you turn clockwise to open. The hole that the liquid comes out is very small, and when you turn upside down it would drip out one drip at a time. The other poster was talking about a Kleen kanteen that has a traditional sippy spout, and I have heard good things about that company too. Both are non leaching, and NEITHER one has a "plastic" liner!
#24 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 03:52 PM

Just to add .02.

Sigg is made of Aluminium and that has been linked to Alzheimers. Klean Kanteen are the best IMHO, as they are just stainless.
#25 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 08:16 PM

The aluminum is coated with a water based liner. The aluminum is simply a shell. I agree, Kleen Kanteen's are great, but don't bash SIGG if you haven't done your research. The aluminum also allows the cup to be lighter and like I said, has no contact with the liquid.
#26 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlheckle View Post
The aluminum is coated with a water based liner. The aluminum is simply a shell. I agree, Kleen Kanteen's are great, but don't bash SIGG if you haven't done your research. The aluminum also allows the cup to be lighter and like I said, has no contact with the liquid.
IT IS A PLASTIC LINER, but it is a food-safe plastic liner. There is a large article about it somewhere- they used to use less-safe plastic liners, but they switched. I think I found it from the reuseablebags site.. I'll try to find it and post it on here. I didn't just one-off say that- I know what I"m talking about, too. "Water-based" means nothing, actually. (Water soluble during processing, perhaps, and using less dangerous solvents? Obviously it's not water soluble now or else it really would be dangerous and not very useful.) I think SIGG bottles are safe because they do use a safer liner, and as you correctly point out the whole point is that the aluminium doesn't touch the contents.
#27 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 PM

SIGG Lining – Taste Neutral & Safe
The proprietary SIGG bottle liner is taste neutral and resistant to fruit acids and isotonic drinks, guaranteeing easy cleaning and no taste transfer. This special, baked-on inner liner is a water-based epoxy resin exceeding FDA requirements and independently tested (Nehring, Germany) to prove 0% leaching. The liner is flexible and crack resistant even if the bottle is dented. The special liner ensures great taste and easy washing out.
---

Otherwise, non-leaching plastic. Safe. (To me, glass is the only 100% perfect materials for this, but there are breakage issues, and SIGG are still way better than most other options out there.) Water-based is probably mentioned because that is different than the old liner material. There are plenty of plastics out there that use water (or corn, or etc.) to be made. Perhaps this comes down to how you personally define "plastic" which is actually quite a general term. -j
#28 of 33 Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Hi,

I have been looking for a non-plastic sippy cup for my baby, so I was really happy to find this thread.

I have another related question, that is slightly off-topic. I was hoping someone here would have a recommendation a good type of plate to use for toddlers? I see a lot of the hard plastic melamine type... any thoughts on this type of plate or alternatives that would be safer?

Thanks,
Stacy

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

#29 of 33 Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, for those of you who have gotten the Kleen Kanteen sippys, do you have to order the bottle, the sippy top, AND the adapter for the sippy? It's a little unclear to me.

Thanks,
Mary
#30 of 33 Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Just FYI for those of you looking for a non-leaching sippy, my husband has just started a company, Kid Basix, and their first product is called The Safe Sippy. It is a totally inert, non-leaching, non-plastic sippy that's cute as all get-out. [He won't let me say more until he's ready to ship product.] If you want to get on the announcement list, you can email him at bret@mindyjohnson.com. He'll be happy to send you an email when they launch. He thinks he will have product by late November or December.

And for the people wondering about "safe" plastics, the plastics industry claims they are all safe...the researchers claimed [until recently] that #1, 2, 4 & 5 were safe...and then they discovered that #1 was leaching DEHA, which has been shown to cause cancer in humans. We have thrown ALL our plastic bottles out and are using Klean Kanteen - until my husband makes an adult drinking bottle to go with the sippy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page