common cold, how to treat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 11 months old and has her second cold. : The first was treated with tylenol for fever : and decongestants, etc. I don't want to do that again. I have on hand....

echinacea and goldenseal for babies (apparently tastes horrible, dd gagged)
sambucol
vit c for babies
oscillococcinum

any suggestions on how often, how much, etc? Also, how do you get a baby to take bad tasting stuff? I put a little in apple cider and she took about a quarter of a dose only. She spit it out in apple juice.

Is this what I should be giving? Anything I've missed? Any suggestions on how to relieve nasal congestion? She had a tough time breathing while nursing earlier. I did use the nasal aspirator first. That went over well...

She is nursing. She refused solid food this am (I only offered her favorite, blueberries). I'll offer veggie soup for lunch if she wants, but I figure she'll skip solids today.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-chelsea dust.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 03:13 PM

Hi,
I can't offer any suggestions in terms of herbs etc, but when my DD was really stuffed up I turned on the shower, got the bathroom really steamy, and sat in there with her. The steam opened her sinuses and I was able to use one of those bulb things to get the snot out of her nose. It helped quite a bit. I did it whenever she seemed to need it. Also you can nurse in there...

I hope your little one gets well soon.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:19 PM

if you're still BFing, try putting some breast milk in baby's nose. Works great as a decongestant. Also, sambucol is great for colds. I think babies her age can take 1/2 tsp twice daily. Best to start at the onset of symptoms. Good luck.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We use Hylands C Cold Plus, Elderberry Syrup, Homeopathic cough syrup, zinc and up the orange juice intake, normally adding emergenC with it.

The Bm up nose is great advise too!

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

What kind of homeopathic cough syrup? DD has a cough that kept her up last night, so I'd like to get some. Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up giving her a bottle a few minutes ago. She was so frustrated trying to nurse. I thawed out a bag of ebm. I want her to nurse, though, for the antibodies. I'll try the shower next time.

-chelsea dust.gif
Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I second the breastmilk in baby's nose. This worked wonders for my DD when she was a couple months old and really congested. Steam in the bathroom, followed by suctioning the nose really well, can help too.

Hope your little one feels better soon!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 PM

My DS 1 woul dget really congested as a baby. I third bm in the nose (also protects agaginst sinus/ear infectin). Also a humidifier in the bedroom with eacaliptis or peppermint oil in it. It also helps a lot if they can be upright, the reason they have trouble is that they can't willfully clear their sinusus, if they are upright then snot will drain naturally down. I would let ds sleep in a stroller or carsreat in the day and actually slightly prop the top of our matress at night.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM

We use sambucol, bunch of vitamin C, and also Aconite and Belladona homeopathic remedies for sore throat, fever, congestion, and also Phosphorous homeopathic for sore throat and cough. The aconite and belladona have worked beautifully to help ds#3 not be so congested so he can nurse more easily; I don't give him anything but the homeopathics. We all picked up a cold from our homeschooling group, so the older boys and us take the other things too.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 09-27-2006, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I usually treat the common cold by *not treating it.* Give lots of fluids, lots of snuggles, food if theyr'e hungry, no food if they're not, and just be patient and let the body do its job with healing.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 PM

--steamy bathroom works great.
--humidifier
--Hylands' Sniffles n' Sneezes 4 Kids - it has a specific homeopathic ingredient for stuffy noses, it's in the car right now.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My DS had his first cold about a month ago and a wise MDC mama advised me to give him sage tea . . . http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=504691
I gave him 3 teaspoons 3 times a day for three days, and he was pretty much back to normal by the middle of the second day. He absolutely loved the taste of it, too.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I usually treat the common cold by *not treating it.* Give lots of fluids, lots of snuggles, food if theyr'e hungry, no food if they're not, and just be patient and let the body do its job with healing.
i do this also. love hot steamy bathrooms for relief of congestion too. i try to remember that all these 'symptoms' are actually the body fighting off the cold.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Banned

We generally don't treat colds either. I drink OJ, we sit on the couch and bf *all day*. We also do some skin to skin contact and light massage. DH brings me what we need and I kick back with a book or tv and hold DD upright. I don't know what I'll do when I have another one.

Oh, and a nurse told me goldenseal can upset baby's tummy and to do echinacea without it. That was when DD was 4 months though. I do give DD (now that she's older) weak chamomile tea to relax her.

User Tag List