10 Month Old baby Poop Question, Should I take her to Dr.'s? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
My little nursling is 10 months old (today *sniffle*) and this morning I changed her diaper to find that she had pooped and it was the right color and nice and blended but had whole undiegested chunks of food in it from last nights dinner. From what I could see when I poked around it was only the Peas and some chunks of Sweet Potato she ate that came out whole. I remember this happened a couple of months back too when she first started eating with small pieces of Brocoli coming through. Last night was the first time she had ever had peas or sweet potato (DH introduced them together instead of seperate: )... Now I'm really worried that something is wrong with her tummy and she's not breaking down food right. Has anyone else ever had this happen to their baby? Is this normal? I do not ever remember having this happen with my other two children but they were not eating table food at this age either, they were still eating only pureed baby food at this point..
Does anyone think I should call the Dr.? I'm at a loss here. I have saved the diaper incase I have to take her to the Ped. (If someone told me 6 years ago I would be fishing through baby poop and saving dirty diapers to show to someone I would have never believed them ).
Thanks for any advice, this is worrying me
#2 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Sounds normal. At 10 months, food is more for expierment than nutrition and their tummys aren't used to digesting. It's kind of in a practicing mode right now. Eventually things will get broken down, but it will be awhile (I'm still finding last nights dinner in my 22 month olds diaper some times.)

Mama of three.

#3 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 11:25 AM

Perfectly normal.

-Angela
#4 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Yep, still happens here with my 13 month old and 27 month old. Seems normal to me.

Mom to 2 wonderful little MDB's
#5 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Happens often with my 1 year old too.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#6 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 02:43 PM

normal!

my dd is just a week or two older than yours. we find all sorts of goodies in her diaper. peas, blueberries, broccoli.
#7 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 02:50 PM

totally normal! ds had a poop the other day that was almost 100% corn. it happens a lot with high fibre foods. peas, sweet potatoes, blueberries all fall under this. isn't it fun poking around in poop?

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#8 of 17 Old 09-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobunny View Post
isn't it fun poking around in poop?
It's also interesting cleaning out the washing machine after washing those kind of diapers. I remember one time I thought there was a translucent spider clinging to the side, but it was just a chewed, slightly-digested, then thoroughly machine-washed bite of orange. Grape skins come through the little digestive tracts and the wash, too. (I quartered them but didn't skin them.)

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#9 of 17 Old 10-01-2006, 12:55 AM

Sounds about right! My daughter just swallows everything (she only has 2 teeth so can't chew). So...what ever is mashed comes out mashed, and what ever is whole comes out whole. There is no break-down at all. So basically, what it boils down to, is they don't really get anything out of eating chunks of things other than practice eating.
#10 of 17 Old 10-01-2006, 11:31 AM

This happened a few weeks ago w/ my DD she pooped out the pieces of Asparagus that she devored the night before. That's what fiber is for. And if you don't chew your food, you will get chuncks. I am sure that if we started looking threw some of our own poop we would find some chuncks too.

Done with diapers!!

#11 of 17 Old 10-01-2006, 01:16 PM

Normal. I don't think you need to take the diaper to the doctor.

I' always finding bits of green bean or broccoli, totally undigested.
#12 of 17 Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 PM

I hate to say it but from time to time I find bits of veggies in MY poop too. I never got to concerned just figured my system didn't need what it had, that's how the digestion system works after all, but in your case her body probably just needs to adjust to it.
#13 of 17 Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Ds has recently started solids and I am finding entire chunks of food in his diaper When I was washing his diapers (after the first rinse), I opened the machine and there was an entire chunk of cooked carrot chilling there Clean as a whistle like he never ate it! Don't even worry about it. I think the reason for it is that they really aren't digesting anything much (besides breastmilk) at this point. Their systems just can't digest food. That's why there really is no rush for solids. It's mostly just for practice. My awesome natural doctor said they can't even properly digest food really until 15 months. They don't get much nutrients out of it.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#14 of 17 Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 PM

I still find corn and other veggies sometimes in my DD poop and she's almost 2 1/2...
#15 of 17 Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 PM

even at 13 months I often see bits of food in his diaper
#16 of 17 Old 10-05-2006, 03:08 AM

My 2 yr old and 8.5 month old poop chunks once in a while. Just a warning, don't give your child raisins until you are absolutely positive your child chews them properly. I learned this the hard way! I gave my son raisins for a snack one day. They came out the same way they went in, only they smell a WHOLE lot worse! DISGUSTING!
#17 of 17 Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
OP, I was just coming here to ask a similar question about the banana poop my DS is having. His poops seems to contain the entire contents of the banana- the brown veiny things, and little chunks. LOADS OF FUN!

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page