The Bumbo Baby Sitter (baby chair) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it would be better to say that it can be used in a developmentally inappropriate way. It can also be used appropriatly. I haven't ever had, nor would I want, one but that certainly doesn't mean that it's not useful to some mothers for some reasons. And I agree...calling it a "dumbo" is quite rude and condecending to the moms who do find it useful.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#62 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:09 AM

They used to say not to stand a baby on their feet because it was developmentally inappropriate and caused bow legs. I believe it's called exercise.

I also believe in exploring things and situations with baby. Bumbo had entertainment value for HER. She did not use it much, and certainly didn't live in it.

Perhaps leave newborns laying on their back so that you don't force them into positions they cannot get into themselves? *scratches head* Hmm...

If you want to call me dumb, go ahead. *shrug*

My daughter is not delayed, maimed, weak, or otherwise altered from having spent a few minutes laughing her head off sitting in a goofy little chair.

No, she did not need Bumbo. Who cares? She thought it was a riot. We like to offer her diverse experiences.

I don't know what damage you're claiming it'll do, but this baby is not suffering.
#63 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The person who consistently refers to it as a "dumbo" seat. Please stop. Your tone is unnecessarily rude, and condescending, considering a number of people here have found use for them.

Precisely who is 'dumb'...the babies, or the parents?

Please stop. It's offensive. You can express your opinion without being unkind...can't you?
Oh, lighten up! Sheesh. It's one of the many baby gimmicks out there, not a means for ending world hunger. If anyone feels so strongly about their decision to use a Bumbo that knowing of someone who playfully calls it a "dumbo seat" makes them feel defensive, perhaps they'd be wise not to expose themselves to these threads.

Dumbo Dumbo Dumbo! I'll say it again! Dumbo seat!
#64 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post
Oh, lighten up! Sheesh. It's one of the many baby gimmicks out there, not a means for ending world hunger. If anyone feels so strongly about their decision to use a Bumbo that knowing of someone who playfully calls it a "dumbo seat" makes them feel defensive, perhaps they'd be wise not to expose themselves to these threads.

Wow, that was mature. I have never even seen one of these seats but you sound like a child.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#65 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
My son sits on my lap all the time, he's three months old, how is that any different?? I just hold onto his sides with all of the other "supporting" being done by his body and my lap.

I think some people may have been reacting to the condescending tone of your post, not that you said they were "evil" perse.
There was nothing condescending about my tone. Anyone who "knows" me around here knows that I give short, to the point answers. Exactly what I did.

If someone feels that it was condesceding then they need to explore their own baggage that makes them see it that way.

-Angela
#66 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm heading out now to throw out my mdc-approved Hotsling and Moby Wrap because ds will only use them in the sitting forward position and since he can't sit that way unsupported, I am letting him do something developmentally inappropriate.
Goodness. No need for the huff.

Sitting in a sling is a different position. And baby is supported by fabric and mama.

As I used to ask grumpy kids- who tinkled in your cheerios this morning?

-Angela
#67 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Heavenly wrote: Wow, that was mature. I have never even seen one of these seats but you sound like a child.
The childishness exhibited by my response to this thread is exceeded only by the rancor exhibited in many others. Given the choice, I'll pick silly immaturity over bitter resentment every time.
#68 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
who tinkled in your cheerios this morning?

That would make a kick ass sig. line!

Angela, I don't know how to break it to you though - so I'll just say it...

You're not always PC! :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#69 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
The person who consistently refers to it as a "dumbo" seat. Please stop. Your tone is unnecessarily rude, and condescending, considering a number of people here have found use for them.

Precisely who is 'dumb'...the babies, or the parents? :

Please stop. It's offensive. You can express your opinion without being unkind...can't you?
Thank-you. It is one thing to offer an opinion, even a differing one, or your experience. It is another, however, to post with the specific intent to be inflammatory and offensive.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#70 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I'll pick silly immaturity over bitter resentment every time.

I see.

Honestly, I didn't see any "bitter resentment" here. Maybe I should reread. Even Angela didn't call it a dumbo, and that's saying alot. :

#71 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:55 AM

I think it's a dumb product, plain and simple; that's my opinion and, of course, not everyone agrees with me. The only person who should be offended by that is the inventor; except that I think whoever invented it is brilliant. I wish I had been the marketing genius who came up with it.
#72 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I think it's a dumb product, plain and simple; that's my opinion and, of course, not everyone agrees with me. The only person who should be offended by that is the inventor; except that I think whoever invented it is brilliant. I wish I had been the marketing genius who came up with it.

Oh, I actually totally agree with you. I just hate the thought of hurting someone's feelings for no reason, that's all.

#73 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM

i laughed at the dumbo seat remarks....

and i have one...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#74 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Ok, so...forgive my ignorance...how is this seat any different than a bouncy seat or the like? I don't have one so I am unfamiliar with it.

#75 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
i am quite frankly appalled that fellow therapists are using the bumbo. i see no therapeutic value in it whatsoever. we are supposed to help the child with their trunk and neck control and placing them into a passive seating device does neither.
Not a PT, but the Bumbo seat does require a bit of trunk and neck control. Our PT recommended one for my son, and she is fabulous. Granted, she didn't tell us to run out and buy the thing and plop him in it all the livelong day, but she did say it could be something nice to use for a couple moments a day in order to get him off his back. When we're not holding him, of course.
#76 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Ok, so...forgive my ignorance...how is this seat any different than a bouncy seat or the like? I don't have one so I am unfamiliar with it.
With a bouncy seat you are not "locking" them into a position that is not musculoskeletally normal. The way it makes them sit up before they are ready is by lifting their legs/thighs above their butt, and keeping them in a fairly narrow and upright position.

When you sit on the floor you are flat. A bumbo is not flat. Have you ever sat on a toilet when someone has left the seat up and your butt gets stuck in the hole? That's kind of the premise behind the bumbo.

#77 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Have you ever sat on a toilet when someone has left the seat up and your butt gets stuck in the hole? That's kind of the premise behind the bumbo.

Not lately! :

OK, I understand better now.

I would be interested in hearing mama's tell why they find it useful then.

#78 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
That would make a kick ass sig. line!

Angela, I don't know how to break it to you though - so I'll just say it...

You're not always PC! :

Gasp! Say it ain't so!

Good thing I don't give a flying rat about being PC, huh?

-Angela
#79 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Not lately! :
You've never been to my house. :

Quote:
I would be interested in hearing mama's tell why they find it useful then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I got roasted for saying this last time - my husband travels for business, and my friends and family live 2000 miles away. I don't have a huge (or any support network), so being self sufficient was a huge goal for me. I simply cannot wear my daughter for everything.. as much as I'd like, and the bumbo bought me a few moments to make myself some dinner or pee when hubby was not around to help.

I think its life span around here was a matter of weeks - she didn't want to lay flat and couldn't sit up.

#80 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Even Angela didn't call it a dumbo, and that's saying alot. :

Hey now, Angela calls it like she sees it, but never lowers herself to names like dumbo. Harumph.

(though now every time I see one that's going to be what pops in my head )

-Angela
#81 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
(though now every time I see one that's going to be what pops in my head )
Same here. : But I won't SAY it!

#82 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Wow. My not quite 2 year old is more mature than you. Interesting.
#83 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM

I think it is ok-I bought the other brand which is the bebe pod. I use it to sit beside me on booth seats when we eat out. I know that it says on the box that it is not a booster seat-but he loves to sit up! I sit it in the corner of the booth seat and sit beside him and he is so thrilled with that that he forgets all about trying to grab my drink every 10 seconds. That is basically the only use we have at this moment for it-of course he is only 5 months old now. my friends 8 mo loves it-he can sit on his own but for some reason loves to sit in our bebe pod when he is here.

I don't think I would have used it for a 3mo which it says on the box you can--but every baby is different.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#84 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Sitting in a sling is a different position. And baby is supported by fabric and mama.

As I used to ask grumpy kids- who tinkled in your cheerios this morning?
Cute, I'll have to remember that one.
#85 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Wow. My not quite 2 year old is more mature than you. Interesting.
When something I say causes someone to get this vindictive I know I'm doing something right.
#86 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMama View Post
Doesn't this depend on the baby? If you have a 3 month old who is sitting on their own...how is a little moulded butt chair inappropriate developmentally? Other than they don't need it?
I am sorry for not responding to you, I am sick : with a sick baby, too :

I concur that it's not developmentally inappropriate for the baby who is already able to sit on his/her own (other than they don't need it), or the older baby with delays, as recommended by a pt. I am not sure why someone would use a Bumbo for a baby who can already sit...? But either way, in that case I would say it is akin to using a high chair or booster.

I think it is developmentally inappropriate for the young baby who cannot yet sit unassisted to be placed in a device like the Bumbo that puts them in such a sitting position. According to the website Bumbo can be used in babies as young as 6 weeks and in my opinion that is not normal, healthy, natural, or appropriate.

And : to everything alegna has said. She has pretty much summed up my opinion on the topic.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#87 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 PM

My DD loves it! She gets very fussy when laying prone and can't sit up yet plus she is getting fidgety when we hold her and like to be "free". This was the perfect solution for her. We particularly use it at dinner so she can sit with us and be part of the meal even though she can't join in yet. I really love this and it was worth every penny. We got it much cheaper that anywhere online at BJ's wholesale club. I think it was 29.99.

#88 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
I love it. What a wonderful baby seat! It's awesome and my DS loves sitting in his.
I agree! I absolutely loved it. It was great for when my daughter was learning how to sit up but couldn't quite sit on her own yet. She loved to be able to sit upright and look around. I didn't leave her in it for long periods of time or anything but I found it very useful and as soon as she was able to sit up on her own I stopped using it.

Honestly I had no idea there was such controversy over the bumbo. I have only heard good experiences and comments about it prior to this. I guess it isn't for everyone.
#89 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
When something I say causes someone to get this vindictive I know I'm doing something right.

If by 'right' you mean self-righteous, nasty, obnoxious, and someone I wouldn't associate with in real life, yes, you certainly are doing something right.

Good grief. Is there an option to ignore nasty posters?
#90 of 180 Old 10-02-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Good grief. Is there an option to ignore nasty posters?
I think there is something in the contro panel where you can choose to ignore specific posters.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page