The Bumbo Baby Sitter (baby chair) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 180 Old 10-13-2006, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to add..Lily's physical therapist didn't think these seats helped them sit any earlier, etc.. it's just a seat, much like a swing or infant carrier. Convenient, maybe but not any more helpful as far as muscle control.

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#122 of 180 Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 PM

Lurker here. I have read a few bumbo threads. First of all I just wanted to say thanks to kidspiration and chirokristen for your excellent knowledge and explanations.

The other thing I want to say that kind of irritates me, is when people act like the bumbo is a necessary device. My DH is a truck driver, and I am alone at home for long periods of time too. And believe me, my DD is VERY high needs. I don't have a bumbo, and I survive. Its not like this is the first generation that women have had to be the sole caretakers of their children. I eat when she naps, or I place her in the bouncy seat (where there is something supporting her head and spine and isn't locking her hips and all that). Once she started to be able to support her head more, I started using the Boppy pillow. I also put her in the sling on my back for cooking or laundry or whatever. I have nothing against people who use bumbos, and I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just saying, please quit saying how its the only way you could get along. I mean, what did people do before the bumbo was invented if its so necessary for survival?

I also have to make an observation. I post on a VERY mainstream board. There are a few of us APers who 'hold down the fort'. I have to say, that all the answers that are given here in defense of the bumbo are the same reasons that those mainstream moms give about walkers, CIO, baby buckets, etc (my child isn't maimed, she likes it, its not like I leave her in there all day etc etc)

Have a nice day
#123 of 180 Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~ View Post
I mean, what did people do before the bumbo was invented if its so necessary for survival?
Did I miss something? Could you quote the moms who are saying they wouldn't survive without a Bumbo? Or reference the post #? Because I really don't remember anyone saying anything so ridiculous.

Quote:
all the answers that are given here in defense of the bumbo are the same reasons that those mainstream moms give about walkers, CIO, baby buckets, etc (my child isn't maimed, she likes it, its not like I leave her in there all day etc etc)
You have officially ticked me off.

I'm guessing you don't "hold down the fort" as much as "keep the mommy wars' fires blazing." I don't post on mainstream boards often, but I doubt anyone defends CIO with a "she likes it." And SO WHAT if someone uses a walker and their baby likes it? Or if they use a baby bucket sometimes? I know BILLIONS of AP moms who occasionally make use of these items. Hey, I admit, I rejoice when I see a mom in the mall with her baby in a sling and no stroller. But most moms with slings IME also have a stroller with them. I HATE to see a baby carried around by a handle when they ought to be carried close. But if your babe is asleep in their carseat and you choose to leave them sleeping in there while you shop or come in from your car and put away groceries... I mean, it is worlds away from propping a bottle and leaving your kid in there until their head flattens completely out. There is a place for righteous indignation... and there is a place for accepting moms who make judicious use of modern babycare items. I could go apesh!t on you for using a bouncy seat if I wanted to. Heck, I could jump down your throat for using diapers instead of doing the natural thing and ec'ing. I have a feeling if I did a little home inspection I could find lots of things to judge you for.

It was posts like yours that made me baby-container-phobic when I had my dd#1. When she was born, I had NOT ONE baby container. No infant carseat (I didn't want the temptation to use the seat outside the car), no swing, no bouncy, no bassinett, no crib, no stroller, NO NOTHING. Just a collection of every kind of sling I had found. I figured I would hold her/sling her at all times. I even bought a water sling so I could shower with her. Lo and behold, as in love as I was, I actually did want a safe place to lay her down once in a while. AND I FELT INCREDIBLY GUILTY. I thought I was a bad mom when someone brought me a swing and I actually put my dd in it while I went to the bathroom or got myself something to eat.

With dd#2 I finally started to realize that people like you with your judgmental posts were probably full of it. A ton of MDC moms "came out of the closet" to me and admitted they made use of bouncies, swings, strollers, etc. I had a bunch of earthy-birthy friends (midwives and the women who use them) who ALL had exersaucers or walkers or bumbos (or a collection of them). So I just let go of the "perfect mother" ideal, and I tell you what, I felt so free. Dd#2 had an infant carseat and stroller, swing, exersaucer, bumbo, and a hammock to sleep in, in addition to my effing huge collection of slings and carriers. And you know what? She walked months earlier than dd#1, and other than that, for all I can tell, the only other difference is in ME. I'm a little saner. And all told, she spent very little time in any of those things (except the hammock where she spent many hours, and the carseat when she was in the car).

I hate that you made me feel once again that I have to justify what I decided was acceptable for my family. Your post is EXACTLY what intimidates and discourages others from learning from APers in general... and keeps them running back to the mainstream for all their parenting advice. If you want to make the non-use of a Bumbo, or walker, or bucket, as much of a litmus test (ie just as important) of enlightened parenting as the non-use of CIO, let me just emphatically state that I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH YOU and I hope the VAST majority of loving AP moms agree.

As soon as you're done berating adoptive moms for supplementing their induced lactation with formula, I'm sure I'll have the pleasure of reading your reply. (What, you say that's not what you've been doing? Well happy birthday, I guess you're not as judgmental as I made you out to be from your post.)

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#124 of 180 Old 10-13-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against people who use bumbos, and I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just saying, please quit saying how its the only way you could get along. I mean, what did people do before the bumbo was invented if its so necessary for survival?
So good for you, you get by without one. Whoopty fricken do. What did women do before Bumbo's and they had a baby that was neither happy laying down nor could sit unassisted? They PROPPED IT UP. In the early days it was probably twigs and leaves, then maybe some rolled towels or sheets, then the boppy, and now *gasp* the Bumbo.

I love it when women raise their hand to perfection. "Well my husband is never home and *I* don't need those devices." You want a cookie? You, my dear, are not the mold standard for AP parenting. Everyone, and every child is different.

I was the one who said, not only in this thread, but in others, that I DID (if you care to search my posts you'll see our evil Bumbo for sale on the trading post) NEED, yes, NEED a Bumbo while my husband was out of town. I'm sure I could have gotten by without it if I wanted to reduce myself to eating only once a day or perhaps wetting my pants. With my high needs baby who didn't want to sleep, coupled with my post partum incontinence, I'm sure I would have managed just fine without such a device when my two herniated disks were flaring up and I had NO WHERE to set her down.

Since I do like to limit myself to one evil plastic baby containment device I try to pick the one that is likely to garner the best results - a happy baby that frees me up to do some of life's necessities, like wipe my ass and stuff my face. The Bumbo, unfortunately, was that months torture device de jour.

Was it perfect? No. I know the risks. I don't advocate its use. It's bad. I get that. But it worked. And eating a few hurried meals and being able to wipe my butt without balancing a baby was really good for my sanity while I was alone.

So, please don't tell me what I can and cannot say. You don't need a Bumbo? Good for you. Not everyone is like you.

Edited to add: THIS is why the Bumbo was so important to me. It is physically impossible, not to mention down right painful to hold/wear her at times. While it may seem unfathomable to you that someone might rely on a molded plastic seat, the fact remains that it was one of THE only ways to set her down without the end result being a lot of tears or frustration.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#125 of 180 Old 10-14-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
Did I miss something? Could you quote the moms who are saying they wouldn't survive without a Bumbo? Or reference the post #? Because I really don't remember anyone saying anything so ridiculous.
I never said I couldn't survive without one, but I sure did need it for a few weeks -

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
HOWEVER, we own one, and have used it. In fact, I got roasted for saying this last time - my husband travels for business, and my friends and family live 2000 miles away. I don't have a huge (or any support network), so being self sufficient was a huge goal for me. I simply cannot wear my daughter for everything.. as much as I'd like, and the bumbo bought me a few moments to make myself some dinner or pee when hubby was not around to help.

#126 of 180 Old 10-14-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
Just my .02, it's plastic, a huge no-no for me, and it's a containment device, another no-no for me.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=container
Interesting you say this. Didn't you show pics of one of your children sitting in a stroller, that had plastic on it?
#127 of 180 Old 10-14-2006, 02:52 AM

:
#128 of 180 Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 AM

Bwahhahahahah.

I love how some people are so arrogant about not using one :

(I personally haven't used mine in two months, just because baby girl can sit on her own now, but I still get peeved at the people who think I'm a rotten mom because I used one.)

Oh, and the damn thing isn't plastic. It's foam. I wouldn't stick my baby in a plastic molded chair, either.

I really, really, really like North_of_60. I think I'm going to stalk her and make her my new BFF. I don't care if she doesn't want to be. :

I KNOW my baby. I never left her in it for more than a few minutes because ANY position gets uncomfortable after a few minutes. If she was uncomfortable, she would have told me. She always laughed and giggled in it.

So a big : to y'all. Actually, I appreciated kidspiration's and chirokristen's information about the sitting position. That was interesting and informative. I just didn't like the attitude from some that it was a horrible thing to use IN MODERATION.

If someone left her baby in it when crying or fussing or uncomfortable, or for extended periods, I can definitely see where that's flame worthy material. But the way I used it and other mamas on this board use it? No way, no how.

And BITE ME to whomever compared this to 'CIO'. Just bite me. :
#129 of 180 Old 10-14-2006, 09:56 AM

I completely agree with momileigh! I can't believe that anyone would compare using a bumbo to cio.: I do have one but we haven't used it for more than 15 minutes combined time in the past two months so I plan on returning it. I think that if the baby is happy and the mama is too and as long as it is not used for long time periods or too often, it is fine. I just found that we don't need it personally.
#130 of 180 Old 10-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
dont have time to read all 7 pgs, but heres my view...

i wish this had been around a decade ago for my ds1! actually, i think i missed it for ds2 also, its that new.

both of my boys have sensory issues. neither one could handle laying down. its a vestibular thing. so, to avoid being laid down, my kids sought out the ability to remain upright. ds1 sat completely unassisted at 5 mos, and ds2 at 4.5 mos. i am not making that up, i have pictures, and so on. LOL. both of them had complete head control at birth, and both sought out bearing weight on their feet from about 2 wks old. (hey man, i gestated them both for 10 mos, another week in there and they would have been born walking! LOL)

if i had had a bumbo we all would have been much happier together. i share a housse with an old friend. she has an 8 mos old dd who is developing somewhat slowly, and for sure, not normally. at 8 mos, her dd HATES to sit upright, will only tolerate it for 2 to 3 minutes, so she is eith in a swing or excersaucer all freaking day long. (very little floor time, as she commando crawls and gets into stuff, and then her mother might actually have to supervise her. : ) the bumbo would give her a change of position, but its too expensive for this mom.

Bring back the old MDC
#131 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Interesting you say this. Didn't you show pics of one of your children sitting in a stroller, that had plastic on it?
AS do the pack n play in the background of that same picture and the Johnny jumper in the other pic.
*Gasp* Aren't those containment devices?????:
#132 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I never said I couldn't survive without one, but I sure did need it for a few weeks -
Well, you "needed" it in order for your baby to be happy when you put her down, right? Well, a baby being happy isn't "necessary for survival" as Ryleigh's Mommy put it. I guess you should have laid your kid on the floor and let them scream... better than a foam chair, right?

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#133 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns View Post
AS do the pack n play in the background of that same picture and the Johnny jumper in the other pic.
BUSTED! (Is there a smilie for "busted"?)

It is a shame people can't just share their perspective without being condescending or judgmental.

#134 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Score one for the Dumbo Defenders.
#135 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I guess you should have laid your kid on the floor and let them scream... better than a foam chair, right?
And let her "CIO"? The I'd REALLY be the worlds worst mother. LOL. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Let's recap, shall we?

Crying = BAD. Never, ever let a baby cry if you have the means to prevent it.

Bumbo = BAD. You'll end up with a developmentally compromised child with bad hips and a bad back. Not to mention the fact that you should never put your child down, I mean, that's why they have water slings, right? You can sling your child in the shower, on the toilet, put them on your back while you cook, while you eat, while you clean, etc. Problem solved, right?

Come on people. Which is more important, a happy baby who isn't screaming and causing "irreparable emotional damage", or sitting in a freaking bumbo for 5 minutes while I wipe my butt?

The REALITY of the situation is that not everyone has the support network in place to never rely on a less then natural, ergonomically correct, totally organic baby product. I suppose I could do like my early cave dwelling ancestors and cover some logs with a bear skin hide and sit her up in that.. Nor is everyone in the physical shape to sling a child 24/7. I have to make compromises for my health. If I sling her 24/7 then we don't sleep together. I have to prioritize how I raise my daughter and evaluate which "necessities" are the MOST necessary. Quit frankly, I think nursing is the number 1 biggest necessity. If I am too sore and my back is flaring up it is simply too painful to lay with her at night so she can eat.

So yeah, anyone who wants to give me the "you can live without a bumbo" crap can bite me. It was a necessary evil, and to this day it remains the ONE and ONLY "baby containing object" that she never fought to get out, screamed when I put her in, or otherwise hated. It was needed. Period.

And with that said, I am forever done on this topic. To all those who DO have the support, and ARE capable of holding your child 24/7, ENJOY it, not everyone is that fortunate!

#136 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfybuns View Post
Yes they are. There are also, gasp plastic toys and plastic bottles on the floor too in one of the ones, where the children are watch TV. Also, some pics you can see where the kids are wearing sposies too.

I really don't care if you use those things personally -- I just that if you DO use them you shouldn't act like 1)your kids never watch TV 2)you never use a containment device when you have THREE visible from the pics you show everyone and 3) claim to Cd and potty train your kids before they can walk but then show walking kids with sposies on.

I loved having a swing. I own a pack n play for traveling. I have a highchair for my kids to eat of. I own strollers, a $$$ to be exact, and I will buy me a foam bumbo seat when this next child comes along, that my next door PT with the PHd sees nothing wrong with used in moderation.
#137 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 11:27 AM

You know, nothing makes me lose respect for message board members like seeing several people gang up on one member and attack that member personally. There's just no call for that. I haven't seen the photos referred to above, but how do you know they were taken at the member's home? Maybe they were taken somewhere else.

Or, perhaps the photos were made before she learned of her reasons for objecting to plastic and now she doesn't use it anymore but those photos were from before? I know if someone saw photos of my home with my first baby as opposed to the way I manage things now with my later babies, people would jump to similar conclusions about me. When we know better, we do better.

It's not fair to jump to conclusions - but even if those conclusions are correct, it's in very poor taste to gang up and attack someone in this manner.
#138 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post
You know, nothing makes me lose respect for message board members like seeing several people gang up on one member and attack that member personally. There's just no call for that. I haven't seen the photos referred to above, but how do you know they were taken at the member's home? Maybe they were taken somewhere else.

Or, perhaps the photos were made before she learned of her reasons for objecting to plastic and now she doesn't use it anymore but those photos were from before? I know if someone saw photos of my home with my first baby as opposed to the way I manage things now with my later babies, people would jump to similar conclusions about me. When we know better, we do better.

It's not fair to jump to conclusions - but even if those conclusions are correct, it's in very poor taste to gang up and attack someone in this manner.
She said they were. The pics are also labeled. Some are also recent. She is judging mommas because they use a Bumbo seat and has said in other posts deragatory comments about "containment" devices -- I think its wrong to judge other mommas and act superior in their parenting methods, when you yourself are doing exactly what you are preaching against.
#139 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It is in poor taste to tell people that their choices are wrong, and to constantly preach your choces and then contradict them constantly, whether in pictures or words.
My belief is that if you are going to take a solid stance for or against anything, be prepared to back up your stance.
I would fully expect someone to point out inconsistencies in my 'stories' if here were any.
#140 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right.
#141 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
And BITE ME to whomever compared this to 'CIO'. Just bite me. :

I need to learn to be this concise.

#142 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right.
I am of the belief that if someone in your community (any community) continues to be dishonest or misleading then they should be called on it. They shouldn't be allowed to continue it just in the name of being nice.
#143 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 12:16 PM

It's not my place to speak for MITB, but since it's really unfair to continue attacking her while she's obviously not available to respond to the attacks, I think the appropriate thing to do is to stop and give her a chance.

However, in reading the containment thread MITB referenced, I do see where she posted that due to her involvement with CPS, she does have things in her house like playpen, crib, stroller, etc. but that they mainly just sit there collecting dust and clothes.
#144 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 12:27 PM

: Here we go again attacking other members because they don't CONFORM(yes) to all AP techniques and beliefs.

I see this place as a tool to work on the AP that we do practise, as well as educate others and ourselves in regaurds to mainstream tools and techniques and how to use them most effectivly without abusing them or causing damage. We should not criticize a member for making a choice that they believed was best for them and their family.

I've written and erased so many things already because they just aren't coming out right, so I'll just get to the point because at this point I've already wasted 30 minutes.
Let's make that 45 min...
60minutes but this is the best way I know to put it please forgive me if I've offended some I don't mean to target this is all general.

We all have a common cause here, we want to bettter our childrens lives and parent in a way that we can say "I did my best for her/him the best way I know how". One thing I know is that if my child were screaming and crying and I've tried everything and notheing works, then a friend suggests a vibrating chair and it works to lull my child to sleep after 30 sec, I'm going to use this resource when I need to.(this actually happened at a friends house) I think that our children, as young as they are, are intitled to choice and preference to a certain degree, it's their right to individuality. If my DD likes one toy over another and it's plastic, it doesn't mean that she will like only plastic toys, it just means she likes that toy and you should develope the enviroment to teach her that her opinions and prefences are valued and considered. If a baby wants to sit before they can and loves her bumbo, then let her have a good time in it and have a good time with her, show her that you are always there and available to meet her needs AND WANTS, even if what she wants isn't what you want. Show her/him that they can depend on you to accept them the way they are. If they like the swing, let them swing, if they like to be rocked rock them. If they like the stroller because you can hang toys from it to play with do it, if they want to be worn facing out instead of in I let them so why wouldn't I let them make use of other joys I can accommidate?

We all parent differently and make acceptions to our original veiws to fit our evolving family as well as society(carseats in moving vehicles), they need to learn of both worlds, how they interact, clash, balance eachother, and tear eachother apart.
#145 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
It's not my place to speak for MITB, but since it's really unfair to continue attacking her while she's obviously not available to respond to the attacks, I think the appropriate thing to do is to stop and give her a chance.

However, in reading the containment thread MITB referenced, I do see where she posted that due to her involvement with CPS, she does have things in her house like playpen, crib, stroller, etc. but that they mainly just sit there collecting dust and clothes.
The thing is, I don't think anyone wants to judge someone for having that stuff in their house, whether its a plastic bottle or a crib or whatever. She isn't being "attacked" for having that stuff, and she shouldn't feel the need to defend having that stuff in her house. She is only being called on the carpet for coming in here and saying that "plastic and containers are big no-no's" (a rather high-horse statement IMO) when clearly not even she lives without such things.

I hope she'll take the "attacks" as more of a ribbing than anything else... at least, I hope they were all given in that spirit, and not a "crucify the mama" spirit. My contribution (busted!) was certainly intended in a friendly-ribbing "Boo-yah" kind of way.

The only thing she might feel the need to do is come back and say something like, "Well, I guess I'm not plastic-free or container-free, and what I meant to say is we try not to use plastic as much as possible, and we do without containers most of the time, so we don't feel the need to use a bumbo. Sorry if I came across as holier-than-thou about plastics and containers, and I also realize that bumbos are foam, not plastic."

#146 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 01:29 PM

once again, the cognitive dissonance and rationalization is transparent.

since when did restricting the number of plastic or not using baby containment devices become the hallmark of "acting superior"?

oh, it happened when it caused YOU to FEEL inferior. and then come back and bash those mamas that made you feel that way.

nice.
#147 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
once again, the cognitive dissonance and rationalization is transparent.

since when did restricting the number of plastic or not using baby containment devices become the hallmark of "acting superior"?

oh, it happened when it caused YOU to FEEL inferior. and then come back and bash those mamas that made you feel that way.

nice.

I think it's pretty clear from the post that the information wasn't provided in an innocent tone, but a condescending tone. I don't feel inferior, because I don't believe I have done anything wrong. But I do believe MITB intended to condescend.
#148 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
And let her "CIO"? The I'd REALLY be the worlds worst mother. LOL. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Let's recap, shall we?

Crying = BAD. Never, ever let a baby cry if you have the means to prevent it.

Bumbo = BAD. You'll end up with a developmentally compromised child with bad hips and a bad back. Not to mention the fact that you should never put your child down, I mean, that's why they have water slings, right? You can sling your child in the shower, on the toilet, put them on your back while you cook, while you eat, while you clean, etc. Problem solved, right?

Come on people. Which is more important, a happy baby who isn't screaming and causing "irreparable emotional damage", or sitting in a freaking bumbo for 5 minutes while I wipe my butt?

The REALITY of the situation is that not everyone has the support network in place to never rely on a less then natural, ergonomically correct, totally organic baby product. I suppose I could do like my early cave dwelling ancestors and cover some logs with a bear skin hide and sit her up in that.. Nor is everyone in the physical shape to sling a child 24/7. I have to make compromises for my health. If I sling her 24/7 then we don't sleep together. I have to prioritize how I raise my daughter and evaluate which "necessities" are the MOST necessary. Quit frankly, I think nursing is the number 1 biggest necessity. If I am too sore and my back is flaring up it is simply too painful to lay with her at night so she can eat.

So yeah, anyone who wants to give me the "you can live without a bumbo" crap can bite me. It was a necessary evil, and to this day it remains the ONE and ONLY "baby containing object" that she never fought to get out, screamed when I put her in, or otherwise hated. It was needed. Period.

And with that said, I am forever done on this topic. To all those who DO have the support, and ARE capable of holding your child 24/7, ENJOY it, not everyone is that fortunate!
your "bite me" comment stands out, because you lash out in one sentence and then in the next say that it was a "necessary evil".

after reading about some of your health and support issues in this thread and others, it does become apparent that you might have been in need of something to place your daughter in for short periods of time. fully acknowledged that in your case the bumbo was the right choice for you and your family. i completely believe you when you stated in the past that your dd is only in it for short periods of time. but can you agree that the bumbo is not the be-all end-all must have baby device that it is often touted to be? i agree that given no other (healthier) options, that it might be of use in certain situations such as yours but i firmly believe that it doesn't belong on every baby's gift registry.

the other thing that i am quite disappointed in is your assumptions that all of us lucky non-bumbo using mothers are bonbon eating sahm's that have hired help or family close by and hold their content babies all day, the birds are chirping the angels are singing etc etc etc. oh, and we have superiority complexes.

in the interest of full disclosure and honesty...i will tell you that i don't know what it's like to go to the bathroom while caring for a young infant. would you like to know why? because for most of the time from when dd was 2 weeks old until she was 5 months old, i had a urinary catheter because my bladder was torn during my horribly interventive birth. i had to have surgery to correct it and at one point during that five month period, i actually had not just one but TWO catheters coming out of my body (if you must know...a suprapubic AND a foley). so i didn't have to go to pee in the sense that most if not all of you know it...but i did have to go and empty that bag. depending upon whether i was well hydrated and if i was wearing the much smaller but more discreet leg bag, sometimes it was every 20-30 minutes. it was a nightmare that i wouldn't wish upon anybody.

after the catheters were removed, i was so relieved to be able to actually sit down and pee (i will NEVER take that simple act for granted again!. after that point, i did bring dd into the bathroom with me and she sat on my lap while i used the toilet. before that, when the catheters were still in and 'peeing' was a stand-up, two hand operation to empty the bag, i brought our jogging stroller into our house and placed it at the door of our bathroom so that dd would be right there. i did my own risk benefit analysis of what would be the most appropriate and safe place to put dd in those moments when i needed to take care of myself, that was it. i didn't feel compelled to go out and purchase something special in order to do this, and also with knowing about the alignment issues with the bumbo, it never was an option for me. so yes, i do feel like it's entirely possible, even in dire situations, to not have to use certain baby containment devices. because i lived it. and i won't tell anyone to bite me because, well...that's just plain rude.
#149 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 02:22 PM

When people feel attacked and ganged up on they often feel defensive. And considering that communication through computers is the most unnatural form of communication(but let's not get into that) it is often misinterpreted and understood in a way intended by the writer. Believe me I know once I was in North's postion while she and others ganged up on me, but no hard feelings. What I'm trying to get at is that different people react in different ways, and I can see how someone can feel attacked when there are alot of people are saying that an action they took under certain circumstances was bad for their child. SO she defends herself and lashes out, now the another handful instist on targeting her more. She was mad and got harsh, it's over. It's hard to communicate our feelings, and they are often taken the wrong way, she just wanted everyone to back off and to accept that she is different and it works for her, that doesn't mean she thinks it's best for you.

Have some compassion for everyone and accept that with the stess of raising children(yes it is stressful as fun as it is, even with easy babies) sometimes sore spots are hit that result in some much needed venting.
#150 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
i didn't feel compelled to go out and purchase something special in order to do this, and also with knowing about the alignment issues with the bumbo, it never was an option for me. so yes, i do feel like it's entirely possible, even in dire situations, to not have to use certain baby containment devices. because i lived it.
I'm kinda butting in here, but:

Kidspiration, I get that you think there is an alignment issue with the Bumbo. And you feel you are uniquely qualified, or at least especially qualified, to explain that and express your concerns. I think that's cool, it is certainly something you should share. I don't agree with it, but I value your opinion.

It seems that you are not against "all baby containers" but you just feel this particular one isn't a good one. Fine. Can't we keep it at that? Why imply that anyone who uses a Bumbo felt COMPELLED to go out and get one? Isn't it possible that some people preferred the look of it, feel of it, position, price, size, versatility, etc? There were times when my dd would have been very annoyed to be strapped into your magical jogging stroller. You've heard all the reasons that people like their Bumbos. You feel the alignment issue overrides all those reasons. Great. But please allow for the fact that not everyone is going to buy your theory, and it doesn't necessarily cancel out the reasons that people do use Bumbos.

I agree with your sentiment that Bumbos are not something that everyone needs or babies are going to be deprived without. I don't hear anyone actually saying that here. But if someone is considering buying one, or if they were given one and are wondering whether to try it or not, or they are currently using one, they may want to hear all sides. It doesn't mean we are all mindless Dumbo Defenders who will go down fighting until every baby has a Bumbo to sit in come hell or high water.

And you know what? I've managed to survive without a jogging stroller. Never owned one. Never felt compelled to go out and spend that kind of money on one. My kids have never, ever been strapped into a jogging stroller, and probably never will be. Do I get a cookie for that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page