The Bumbo Baby Sitter (baby chair) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#151 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 02:46 PM
 
nonconformnmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the wilderness
Posts: 5,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
ChronicChrissy wrote: What I'm trying to get at is that different people react in different ways, and I can see how someone can feel attacked when there are alot of people are saying that an action they took under certain circumstances was bad for their child.
Are you seriously trying to say that the members who use and advocate for the Bumbo seat are the ones that are being attacked on this thread?! : You really need to go back and read the entire thread. Count the posts that are in favor of the seat and those that are not. Then look at the posts that attack people personally, and tell me which category they fit into.
nonconformnmom is offline  
#152 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 02:52 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post
Are you seriously trying to say that the members who use and advocate for the Bumbo seat are the ones that are being attacked on this thread?! : You really need to go back and read the entire thread. Count the posts that are in favor of the seat and those that are not. Then look at the posts that attack people personally, and tell me which category they fit into.
I don't see any of the bumbo users implying that they are better parents because they use a bumbo. That's the difference that's got people upset.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#153 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:05 PM
 
Chronic Chrissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post
Are you seriously trying to say that the members who use and advocate for the Bumbo seat are the ones that are being attacked on this thread?! : You really need to go back and read the entire thread. Count the posts that are in favor of the seat and those that are not. Then look at the posts that attack people personally, and tell me which category they fit into.
I'm not saying the people, I'm saying this person may feel like she is being attacked inadvertantly by others posts.
Chronic Chrissy is offline  
#154 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:07 PM
 
nonconformnmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the wilderness
Posts: 5,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my biggest frustrations about mainstream message boards is that whenever I say that I breastfeed my baby, formula feeding moms get upset because they think that I am implying that I am a better parent. I wasn't; I was simply stating the decision I have made for my family.

The posts on this thread that are critical of the bumbo are just that, being critical of the product. There are many threads here on MDC that are critical of products. Saying that someone doesn't see the value in using a product does not mean that the person thinks they are a better parent than someone else.
nonconformnmom is offline  
#155 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:09 PM
 
gnutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on the hill
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that it would be fair to say that anyone who is on this thread and cares this much about their babies development, alignment, and exposure to plastics is a better than "good enough" parent. Everyone here has put more thought into how they want their children to be raised than most people I know. I have a son who is now 15-he used a WALKER!! GASP! he is now 6ft 2 and walks and runs fine-people point out all the time how graceful he is despite being tall and lanky-this is not because of the walker though, obviously.
Many of these things that we really worry about now don't have long term effects the way WE HERE use them. We here at mdc for the most part try to raise our children as free range as possible. everyone needs a little crutch-I have a swing, and a bumbo seat-I use a stroller sometimes. But the thing is that we all care enough to think about it before we sit our babies down and ignore them all day. IF you can take a few mintues to wipe your butt because of the bumbo then hey-that is great-we all need a clean butt. The baby swing has meant thatat 2:00 am I can sleep on the couch because it has lulled ds back to sleep when I was too tired to keep walking him around.

We all do what we can-and shouldn't be ashamed of what we do-we are here because we all wnat to share info about raising our babies in the best way we can. That speaks volumes for the kind of mothers we are.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
gnutter is offline  
#156 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:30 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformnmom View Post
One of my biggest frustrations about mainstream message boards is that whenever I say that I breastfeed my baby, formula feeding moms get upset because they think that I am implying that I am a better parent. I wasn't; I was simply stating the decision I have made for my family.

The posts on this thread that are critical of the bumbo are just that, being critical of the product. There are many threads here on MDC that are critical of products. Saying that someone doesn't see the value in using a product does not mean that the person thinks they are a better parent than someone else.
If you go to a thread debating whether to buy organic food or not, and you say, "Anything nonorganic is a huge no-no for me," that is going to come across as condescending.

If you go to a thread where people want to find out about homeschooling vs. private school, and you say, "Anything institutional is a huge no-no for me," that is going to sound condescending.

If you go to a cooking thread where some people say they sometimes use pancake mix, and you say, "Anything pre-mixed is a huge no-no for me," that is going to sound like an attack. And any of those comments are going to make people who do those "no-no's" WANT to catch you in the act of using something nonorganic, institutional, or pre-mixed! Can't you see that?

Of course MDC is going to be a safe place regarding breastfeeding and no one is going to get offended over that here. But the last time I checked, bfing and using (or not using) something made of plastic (or foam) weren't exactly equal values in this community.

ETA I agree that we should wait for MITB to come back before there are pages and pages about her post for her to catch up on so I'm going to leave for a while.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#157 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
 
runes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I'm kinda butting in here, but:

Kidspiration, I get that you think there is an alignment issue with the Bumbo. And you feel you are uniquely qualified, or at least especially qualified, to explain that and express your concerns. I think that's cool, it is certainly something you should share. I don't agree with it, but I value your opinion.

It seems that you are not against "all baby containers" but you just feel this particular one isn't a good one. Fine. Can't we keep it at that? Why imply that anyone who uses a Bumbo felt COMPELLED to go out and get one? Isn't it possible that some people preferred the look of it, feel of it, position, price, size, versatility, etc? There were times when my dd would have been very annoyed to be strapped into your magical jogging stroller. You've heard all the reasons that people like their Bumbos. You feel the alignment issue overrides all those reasons. Great. But please allow for the fact that not everyone is going to buy your theory, and it doesn't necessarily cancel out the reasons that people do use Bumbos.

I agree with your sentiment that Bumbos are not something that everyone needs or babies are going to be deprived without. I don't hear anyone actually saying that here. But if someone is considering buying one, or if they were given one and are wondering whether to try it or not, or they are currently using one, they may want to hear all sides. It doesn't mean we are all mindless Dumbo Defenders who will go down fighting until every baby has a Bumbo to sit in come hell or high water.

And you know what? I've managed to survive without a jogging stroller. Never owned one. Never felt compelled to go out and spend that kind of money on one. My kids have never, ever been strapped into a jogging stroller, and probably never will be. Do I get a cookie for that?
i'm not understanding. magical baby stroller? where did you get that from?

who's giving out cookies?

thinly veiled hostility is still...well...hostile.

i'm sticking around because i love this community, and i WILL be here to objectively discuss both the pros and the cons of certain devices such as bumbos, bjorns, walkers, jumpers, exersaucers etc etc. i've done my best to maintain civility, honesty and to present my view NOT primarily as an ap parent, but as a mother who happens to have experience in issues pertaining to child development, more specifically, gross motor development. i admit at times i do get passionate because this subject is near and dear to my heart. but i've never claimed that i am a better mother or expect "cookies" for the choices that i make. i have no need to flex my muscles, cry crunchier-than-thou and compare my parenting choices to others on an internet message board, nor do i derive any sort of satisfaction or personal gratification from that. if you do not like my input and contributions to the discussions at hand, put me on your ignore list.

me? i like to hear all sides on an issue. sometimes, especially here on mdc i read about perspectives that i might never have thought of. i've also read about topics that have made me uncomfortable, for which i always end up being grateful for because it helps to expand my frame of reference. but damned if i'm going to bury my own head in the sand for fear of learning that it's possible that some of the choices that i might make as a parent can be questionable. i prefer to live my life with eyes wide open. if i can help parents do that in the areas that i feel i might be somewhat qualified to comment upon then i'm going to do it. if, in learning about the flip side of the coin, it allows parents to make FULLY INFORMED and conscious decisions in their life, then my job is done.
runes is offline  
#158 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
 
~Ryleigh's Mommy~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction to my post, so I went back and reread what I wrote. You are right, and it did sound condescending. Please accept my apologies. I did not mean for it so sound how you all took it. Let me try to explain better the two things that I wrote that ticked people off:
The part about the bumbo not being necessary: trying to think of how to word this better......Ok, this was mainly a 'defensive' commment. All I was trying to say was that just like you all who did not like being told that your child was being harmed by being put in a bumbo, I did not like the idea that because I am a 'single' mother, that my baby suffers when I have to go to the bathroom or eat etc because I do not have a bumbo to put her in (ie the comments about putting them on the floor for them to cry etc). My baby HATES being on the floor. That is why I have a bouncy seat to put her down in when I need to. I do not sling her 24/7 (in fact, I did not even have a sling until she was 2 months old) but I also do not just abandon her in some uncomfortable place for her to scream either. (See what I'm saying?) Yes, I use a bouncy compared to a bumbo, because the bouncy cradles her and supports her neck, back, and head, and doesn't lock her hips, while still allowing her to sit up like the bumbo does. Same with the Boppy pillow when she got older. I never just laid her down and let her cry like people were insinuating about people who did not use a bumbo for such times.
I didn't mean that you were a bad mother for using a bumbo, as I made clear with this statement (which people chose not to acknowledge):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~ View Post
I have nothing against people who use bumbos, and I'm not trying to bash you
Just that I was also not a bad mother for NOT using one, like was earlier implied.

The part about the mainstream board:
I was NOT equating bumbo seats to CIO!!! The only thing I was saying, was that I don't like the reasoning that because your child isn't dead or maimed, that it is good for them. For instance, I have no problem with people who decide to vaccinate or not vaccinate because they did the research and decided that that was the best thing for their child. But it bothers me when people say, "well I vax my child, and they're not crippled!" or "Well, I didn't vax, and they are still alive!" Or on the mainstream boards, when moms say "my kid cries herself to sleep every night, and they still love me!" Now if someone said "I did cio bc I tried every technique possible, I was dead on my feet and it was interfering with my daytime parenting" That would be more acceptable then "I did it, and they're ok!"
Get what I mean? Also, that something is good for them just because they like it. Many kids like candy, but it doesn't mean it is good for them. Are you a bad parent, or will they be doomed if you give them candy in moderation? NO! But it doesn't mean that it is good for them or they are missing out if they don't have it.

I am very very sorry that some of you took my post as you did. I will say it a 3rd time, just in case anyone missed it: I do not think that if you use a bumbo you are a bad mother!! I will not judge you either way! The only thing I have against them, is that they can be detrimental to their spine etc. But if you use one in moderation, because you feel that the benefits outweigh the detriments, hey, thats cool with me too!
Please accept my apologies:
~Ryleigh's Mommy~ is offline  
#159 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
 
runes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
If you go to a thread debating whether to buy organic food or not, and you say, "Anything nonorganic is a huge no-no for me," that is going to come across as condescending.

If you go to a thread where people want to find out about homeschooling vs. private school, and you say, "Anything institutional is a huge no-no for me," that is going to sound condescending.

If you go to a cooking thread where some people say they sometimes use pancake mix, and you say, "Anything pre-mixed is a huge no-no for me," that is going to sound like an attack. And any of those comments are going to make people who do those "no-no's" WANT to catch you in the act of using something nonorganic, institutional, or pre-mixed! Can't you see that?

Of course MDC is going to be a safe place regarding breastfeeding and no one is going to get offended over that here. But the last time I checked, bfing and using (or not using) something made of plastic (or foam) weren't exactly equal values in this community.

ETA I agree that we should wait for MITB to come back before there are pages and pages about her post for her to catch up on so I'm going to leave for a while.
in the scenarios that you describe, i don't find those comments attacking or condescending at all. it is an opinion. ok, a bit curt and maybe not so helpful in the edification department, as i would want to know WHY to learn their perspectives, but i don't sense an attitude with those statements at all.

now...to say for example "anything premixed is a huge no-no to me and any mother who chooses to feed their children something from a box isn't fit to have children" is confrontational, rude and condescending. but if someone says "anything premixed is a huge no-no for me because processed food has so many chemicals in it that could potentially be dangerous for children to ingest"...that's informational, the rationale is clear, there is no judgement. then all of a sudden a mom who feed their child premixed food reads that and thinks "hmmm...i feed my children processed food, and this mom is saying that i'm putting them in danger and how dare she say that, who does she think she is, that know-it-all, self righteous b!tch, she thinks she's a better mother than me!"...EVEN THOUGH that was neither stated NOR implied.

then she posts "well MY baby LOVES premixed food, of course i only give it to him once in a while and he just gobbles it up and is so happy about it and he's FINE. how do you get through your life without eating processed food? for all of you moms out there who cook from scratch for your babies all the time, BITE me."

THAT, in a nutshell, is what happened in this thread.
runes is offline  
#160 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
 
OnTheFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
I think it's pretty clear from the post that the information wasn't provided in an innocent tone, but a condescending tone. I don't feel inferior, because I don't believe I have done anything wrong. But I do believe MITB intended to condescend.
I am proud to own plastic baby toys. I love Fisher Price! Graco! etc. I have baby "containment" devices and don't mind using them. I have a large family that has to be looked after and fed, and sometimes I need both hands and I don't necessarily want my child on the floor. My kids enjoyed johnny jumpers, bouncers, and swings. I don't feel inferior for using these items, nor do I think using them makes me or anyone else a bad parent.
OnTheFence is offline  
#161 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:08 PM
 
~Ryleigh's Mommy~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That said, I would like to address a few of the comments that were made to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
I'm guessing you don't "hold down the fort" as much as "keep the mommy wars' fires blazing."
Actually, I do not get involved in the threads where there are "wars" going on about BF vs FF, CIO vs co-sleeping etc. I will try to nudge someone in the 'right' direction though. Say, if they are having a hard time BFing and are thinking about giving up I might say "You might try some fenugreek and a nursing vacation to help your supply come back", and then I will have to put a little disclaimer on there saying "but you are not a failure if you have to switch to formula, you tried your best!" Or if someone is having trouble with a colicky baby, I might suggests a sling. If someone is considering CIO, I will say "have you considered co-sleeping?" and describe all the benefits of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
And SO WHAT if someone uses a walker and their baby likes it? Or if they use a baby bucket sometimes? I know BILLIONS of AP moms who occasionally make use of these items. Hey, I admit, I rejoice when I see a mom in the mall with her baby in a sling and no stroller. But most moms with slings IME also have a stroller with them. I HATE to see a baby carried around by a handle when they ought to be carried close. But if your babe is asleep in their carseat and you choose to leave them sleeping in there while you shop or come in from your car and put away groceries.... There is a place for righteous indignation... and there is a place for accepting moms who make judicious use of modern babycare items.
Hmmmm, I thought that since I was posting on MDC about moms on a mainstream board, that they would know that I was talking about moms who's babies never left the carseat except for a diaper change, or whose kids toddled around the house in a walker alllll day with juice bottle in hand etc. I personally have nothing against "containment devices" as long as they are limited to 10 minutes a day etc. I have on many occasions left my baby in the car seat when she fell asleep and needed a nap. You know, this reminds me of when I post on my mainstream board, I have to write a disclaimer to every statement I make, because someone is bound to take it out of context that I am being judgemental. But I figured that on MDC, people would understand what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
Heck, I could jump down your throat for using diapers instead of doing the natural thing and ec'ing. I have a feeling if I did a little home inspection I could find lots of things to judge you for.
Well, since you do seem to enjoy bashing me today, I will go ahead and list all those things. Well lets see, first there's my bouncer. Like I said earlier, since we all need to put our babies down somewhere where they will be happy, I chose that because it is somewhere where she can sit up, and it supports her correctly. I have a swing that was given to us. And while it has never even had a battery, she did sleep in it for the first 5 months of her life. She had severe GERD and choked on her own stomach contents when put on her back. I did not feel like going out and buying a crib so I could use a Tucker sling, so I put her in the swing next to my bed at night so that she could be elevated. Oh, and she even has a binkie, because I do not feel like holding my nipple in her mouth all night after she falls asleep. I have carried her in the car seat when she was sleeping, and I even used it to put her to sleep. I had her in the hospital because I could not find a MW willing to HB in my area. Where she then got a HepB shot, Vit K shot, and eye goup because due to medical complications with me, my husband did not follow her to the nursery to make sure they followed our birth plan that she was not to get any of those things. Yes she does wear cloth diapers, because before I came to MDC, I had never heard of EC. Hmm what else makes me a "bad mother" that you can further attack me for.....I still don't feel that "bond" with my baby that every good mother is supposed to have. She is extremely high needs, and I have never been able to just sit and spend quality time with her. I have to be walking around bouncing her, thinking of different things to distract her from the pain of her reflux. She is 7 months old, and I still have not had one day where I don't cry and feel like pulling my hair out. I have shut myself off from the world because everyone blames her behavior on my parenting. As a result of that, no one else but me can hold her (not even dad). At least once a week, I feel like dropping her off at the hospital and driving far far away. It has taken me over 3 hours (and counting) to write all this, becuase when she naps, she only stays asleep for about 10minutes at a time and I have to keep going and nursing her back to sleep so she gets a decent amount of napping in. So yes, I am a horrible mother, and I find the comments that I "put myself up on a pedestal" (just because I wanted to defend people who don't use a bumbo )extremely hurtful. I have never felt like a better mother than anybody I've ever known.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momileigh View Post
As soon as you're done berating adoptive moms for supplementing their induced lactation with formula, I'm sure I'll have the pleasure of reading your reply.
Wow, I think that was definetely uncalled for. I never brought up the subject of FFing at all. Furthermore, how do you know that my child is biological, or that I even chose to breastfeed? I can understand if you disagree with me that I don't think that bumbos are necessary for everybody, but I think you are taking this way too far here.
This is exactly why I post on a mainstream board, and usually only lurk on MDC. Because even though I am the complete opposite parenting style of the people over there, and it breaks my heart to read about all the poor babies crying until they are hoarse, or having to get fitted with a helmet for positional plagiocephy, at least over there, if you make a comment that someone disagrees with, they do not call you names, attack you personally or your character. They disagree with you and tell you why. While I disagreed with people that a bumbo is the only way that your baby won't suffer needlessly if you are a single mom and you need to put them down, but I NEVER said that anyone who used one was a bad mom or attacked them personally like what was done to me here.
~Ryleigh's Mommy~ is offline  
#162 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
 
aynaffitq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
~Ryleigh's Mommy~
aynaffitq is offline  
#163 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
 
kriskriskris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Its a Southern Thing...Yall
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, here goes... I have just been following the posts, have not posted in the past, just reading what everbody has to say... do you ladies think that we can just end the discussion now because all I see now is that everybody is lashing out at everybody else, people are getting thier feelings hurt, and I think at some point this thread has stopped being productive. I understand wanting to stand up for what you believe and wanting to defend your comments but if you take a really good look at whats being said, it has now turned to "mud slinging".

Can a moderator close this thread before more "damage" is done?
kriskriskris is offline  
#164 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
 
lrlittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dude, this is at least the 3rd angry bumbo thread i've read in the last few months. even if i did want one, i wouldn't now. all i'd think about when i looked at it are these anger-filled threads! what is it with this topic?!?! :

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
lrlittle is offline  
#165 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:48 PM
 
~Ryleigh's Mommy~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
dude, this is at least the 3rd angry bumbo thread i've read in the last few months. even if i did want one, i wouldn't now. all i'd think about when i looked at it are these anger-filled threads! what is it with this topic?!?! :

Oh I know, people get as angry and defensive about the bumbo subject on MDC as people get on the BF vs FF threads on the mainstream boards. I guess we all just want to feel like we are being the best mothers we can be, and when someone challenges that, it hits a nerve.
~Ryleigh's Mommy~ is offline  
#166 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
 
Chronic Chrissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ryleigh's Mommy
I hope you didn't think that what I said was targeted at you. I want to tell you that you are a good Mom, you may not have bonded with your baby but you do love you baby.
This message is in general
I just hope that others understand that we each have our own ways of parenting and meeting our childrens needs and if the whole family is happy, healthy, and balanced our jo is being done, and even if it isn't parenting is a process that throws curveballs that need to be worked thourgh and overcome in ways individual to each family unit. Feelings have been hurt, and ways of life attacked for no better reason then wanting everyone else to conform to your choice of what you believe is best.
Chronic Chrissy is offline  
#167 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
 
aweynsayl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
certainly not adding any comments, just sending huge hugs to everyone who is so upset by this.
aweynsayl is offline  
#168 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 05:08 PM
 
~Ryleigh's Mommy~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to clarify that its not the bumbo subject, or even the statements that because I don't use a bumbo, my baby must lie on the floor crying that made me upset (though I did feel the need to defend it), it was the character attacks and name calling that followed my post in defense of people who don't use them that upset me.

So if you didn't call me names, or attack me personally, don't worry, you didn't upset me
~Ryleigh's Mommy~ is offline  
#169 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 05:09 PM
 
momileigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ryleigh's Mommy, you admitted yourself that your post, upon rereading, was condescending. I read it and it ticked me off. It DID equate using a Bumbo to CIO. If that isn't how you feel, then I'm *glad.* It means that we have a miscommunication.

Obviously we don't know each other personally and I was reacting not to you as a person, but to what you typed. You have modified your position (by explaining better) so I no longer think you must be a terribly judgmental person.

Now you also know something about me, and that's that when I get ticked off, I can be a little bulldoggish. Sorry.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
momileigh is offline  
#170 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
after reading about some of your health and support issues in this thread and others, it does become apparent that you might have been in need of something to place your daughter in for short periods of time. fully acknowledged that in your case the bumbo was the right choice for you and your family.
THANK-YOU. Thank you for acknowledging that something that is otherwise associated with a lack of attachment and unnatural life style can, in certain circumstances, be a useful item.

Quote:
but can you agree that the bumbo is not the be-all end-all must have baby device that it is often touted to be? i agree that given no other (healthier) options, that it might be of use in certain situations such as yours but i firmly believe that it doesn't belong on every baby's gift registry.
Absolutely! I challenge anyone on the world wide web to find ANY post of mine that advocates, encourages, or otherwise suggests that someone go out and buy a Bumbo. I simply wanted to point out that in *MY* situation it came in very handy. In fact, in the beginning of this thread I actually AGREED with the "developmentally inappropriate" comments. I feel that the Bumbo is talked about under one giant umbrella - Bumbo bad! I feel like I'm being prejudged for something that at the time I didn't see any other alternative too. Yep, I feel backed into a corner. "What, you're on MDC and USE a Bumbo, your kid is gunna end up looking like the Hunchback of Notre Dame".

It hurts me almost as bad as when I had to supplement with formula when I was having supply issues and people REPEATEDLY told me how BAD formula was, how it was going HARM my child, and how THEY would never use it. I didn't have a choice. (And in the spirit of always feeling judged, I feel it prudent to point out she has been formula free for 3 and a half months!) Instead of coming down on me for something that can't be avoided, why not just offer some encouragement and support for the situation in general? Just once it would be nice to hear someone say "it hurts you to wear your daughter? That must be awful, I really feel for you". Nope, instead they go on and on and on about how BAD the Bumbo is!!

And what's worse is when someone compares THEIR life to mine, only to follow it up with "and **I** don't need a Bumbo". Yeah? Good for you! That REEEEAAAAAALY frosts me. It's one thing to offer an educated opinion on the subject, such as you have done (this is not directed toward you, just a general thing), but it is another to get on your high horse and proverbially trot around the forums bragging about how anti-device you are. In the presence of my double mastectomy friend I don't flaunt how my 7 month old daughter is still proudly breastfeeding. It's insensitive. I know it's a sore subject with her.

Quote:
the other thing that i am quite disappointed in is your assumptions that all of us lucky non-bumbo using mothers are bonbon eating sahm's that have hired help or family close by and hold their content babies all day, the birds are chirping the angels are singing etc etc etc. oh, and we have superiority complexes.
All I can say is, huh? I'm not understanding. Bon bons, birds chirping, angels singing? Where did you get that from? Is that sarcasm or thinly veiled hostility?

I'm a SAHM and if I haven't got time to eat, how would I have time to eat "bon bons"? Wow. LOL. How you got that out of my post is beyond me. If I'm so desperate for a place to put DD while I pee, why I would imply that all SAHM are listening to the birds sing while they eat candy?

If anything I only wanted to point out that a lot of people here take their 24/7 baby wearing and co-sleeping for granted. You can wear your baby from sun up to sun down? GREAT. I am truly envious of you. You can sleep the whole night scrunched up in bed a with a kung-fo baby? GREAT. I am really truly envious. The only time I think people get "superior" is when the the oneupmanship competitions start - "I don't need a bumbo, well, I don't need a bumbo or a swing, I don't need a bumbo a swing or an bouncy seat".. and so on.

My last post was directed toward Raleigh's Mommy and no one else, certainly not you. Her comment about her husband being out of town and *she* [insert superiority here] doesn't need the Bumbo.

Quote:
in the interest of full disclosure and honesty...i will tell you that i don't know what it's like to go to the bathroom while caring for a young infant. would you like to know why? because for most of the time from when dd was 2 weeks old until she was 5 months old, i had a urinary catheter because my bladder was torn during my horribly interventive birth.
I'm sorry for your problems.


Quote:
so yes, i do feel like it's entirely possible, even in dire situations, to not have to use certain baby containment devices. because i lived it.
I'm glad it worked for you. I tried other things. I tried our stroller (she screamed), I tried the umbrella stroller (couldn't sit upright enough and would fall forward), I tried the baby bathtub with a blanket in it (she rolled out the sides of it). What I was using before the Bumbo was a wicker basket with a blanket in it. Same premise, it held her legs up so she could sit but it scratched her legs when she wiggled the blanket loose, plus it was tippy. So my MIL bought us the Bumbo. I used it for about 3 weeks.

Quote:
and i won't tell anyone to bite me because, well...that's just plain rude
Then I guess I'm rude.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#171 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:30 PM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~ View Post
Ok, I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction to my post, so I went back and reread what I wrote. You are right, and it did sound condescending. Please accept my apologies.
Thank-you. Sorry for telling you to bite me. I don't taste very good anyway.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#172 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronic Chrissy View Post
If a baby wants to sit before they can and loves her bumbo, then let her have a good time in it and have a good time with her, show her that you are always there and available to meet her needs AND WANTS, even if what she wants isn't what you want.
I totally disagree. If I let my daughter do things simply because she liked them, her diet would consist of dog hair and dust bunnies (or what ever else she can pick up off the floor).

I did't use the Bumbo because my daughter liked it and I want her to have a good time. I used it because when I HAVE to put her down she tollerates it. I don't like the idea people running out and getting it specifically for the purpose of getting their child to sit up before they're ready. That's not why I use it. I could care less whether or not she's sitting up. I used it has a tool, not a pleasure device. I didn't put her in it to play, or for the thrill of sitting up, that's what my lap is for.

As parents we need to be conscious about making decisions that are based on our children's best interests, not making compromises on their best interests in order to keep them "happy". ETA: That may seem contradictory to my point, but I believe, in our situation and given the options, that it was better for her to not be crying.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#173 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM
 
emma_goldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: love and light
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*

it is funny how emotional we get about the Bumbo! Every time this topic comes up on the board there is a flurry of emotion.

Sorry to add to it! Anyway...
emma_goldman is offline  
#174 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:47 PM
 
emma_goldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: love and light
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would recommend buying a sling before buying a Bumbo. You can always prop the babe with pillows or a boppy or the laundry!

-Debora
emma_goldman is offline  
#175 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
 
DandeCobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In constant renovation
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NOTICE

This horse is officially dead.
Can we please stop beating it?
DandeCobb is offline  
#176 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
 
emma_goldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: love and light
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
dude, this is at least the 3rd angry bumbo thread i've read in the last few months. even if i did want one, i wouldn't now. all i'd think about when i looked at it are these anger-filled threads! what is it with this topic?!?! :
Maybe we should have a Bumbo "sticky" . Or have them advertise with MDC .

Should someone start a thread about what emotions come up for us with baby gear? I wonder if that's partly what it's about? I wonder if some people panic when they think of the mounds and mounds of plastic and packaging that flutters around in the universe? It does seem like some of us want acceptance for our parenting practices, and maybe some of us resent NOT being able to buy everything that may be fun to use? And of course some are worried that the mounds of plastic will take over...

Oh well, I'm waxing philosophical. (I'm trying to practice for helping my toddler reason emotions out...)
emma_goldman is offline  
#177 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
 
emma_goldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: love and light
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not until she sings!


La! la la la la la LA!


La! la la la la la LA! La La!!

emma_goldman is offline  
#178 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 PM
 
OnTheFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_goldman View Post
I would recommend buying a sling before buying a Bumbo. You can always prop the babe with pillows or a boppy or the laundry!

-Debora
I have four children and only one has liked the sling. ONE. Also as a big breasted woman who already has back problems, after they got to be about 10lbs (i have little babies) it really began to hurt. I've tried all kinds of slings and its just not my thing. Boppies are nice too, but babies often scooch low and fall over and then SCREAM, same with pillows, same with laundry (which I've done all of that) -- so using a bumbo really isn't that big of a deal and its really no different. Its sitting your baby in something so you can do something else or play with your baby when they cant sit up or the siblings play with the baby while they sit in it.
OnTheFence is offline  
#179 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 10:47 PM
 
North_Of_60's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 7,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I have four children and only one has liked the sling. ONE. Also as a big breasted woman who already has back problems, after they got to be about 10lbs (i have little babies) it really began to hurt.
I have large breasts too (E's : ) and I always hated wearing my sling in public because my boob would litterally smoosh out the side where the ring is. I swear, it looked like my boob was right about where my hip was. SO embarassing.

I love my wrap and mai tei though. It evenly distributes the weight, and my boobs don't "smoosh" out the side. DD was never really fond of the sling either, she likes being upright in the wraps. I do use it for the hip carry now.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
North_Of_60 is offline  
#180 of 180 Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 PM
 
~Ryleigh's Mommy~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG TOTALLY hear you on the boob thing! I am a DD on a thin frame, and in a ring sling I look like an absolute moron! When I am out in public I have 6 yards of fabric that I do the Moby wrap thing with and it works much better because my boobs get wrapped up with everything

North_of_60~ I just noticed our DDs were born on the same day. Ryleigh was born at 2:30am on 3/21/06
~Ryleigh's Mommy~ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off