The Bumbo Baby Sitter (baby chair) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you guys know about the The Bumbo Baby Sitter? It's designed to enable a baby between 3-6 mos to be seated unaided in a upright sitting position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 05:45 PM

I don't think it's developmentally appropriate.

-Angela
#3 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM

This question quite often results in some heated debate on here.
Not sure why...I mean I think it's just one of those things that fall into the "in moderation" category. It's a nice little something for your baby to sit in once in a while, but is like many other baby gear items and can be abused.

Just don't leave your baby in it for hours and hours, and I'm sure it's fine. We used it for a bit, but Evan didn't like it very much. He's not one for feeling confined to something, so he would buck like a wild horse to get out of it.

Working at home, tattoo'd, metalhead momma - homeschooling Evan (1.22.'06) and Abigail (8.2.'08) fencing.gif , and happy partner to Kyle jammin.gif . 
#4 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 05:52 PM

I've seen it on "yummy mummys" and thought it was pretty interesting especially since they claimed it couldn't be tipped. I warn you now though alot of people here are going to tell you it's bad because it's not "developmentally appropriate." But if you DC really wants to sit and needs a little help cause he gets frustrated I don't see the problem with you weighing the pros and cons and making a choice. Remember follow your insticts.
#5 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 05:55 PM

i use it as a highchair when we are out and about...but didnt use it until around 6 months. he could sit but i didnt feel comfortable with the restaurant highchairs.
#6 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:24 PM

I used it with Sage from just over 6 months until around 9-10 months. We also used it as a highchair when we went ot restaurants because she couldn't sit it that style chair. Sage was early and didn't sit until a bit over 7 months. She wanted so badly to be able to sit and be a part of things and this allowed her to do that. Again, it is all about how and when you use it
#7 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:26 PM

DS2 is four months and as soon as his butt hits the Bumbo, he arches his back and pops right back out of it. I'm going to take that as a "no" vote from him, at least for now. I don't think we're going to be using ours too much until it's time for a high chair - I really like the idea of using it for that purpose, and ditching the huge regular plastic high chair that's clogging up our kitchen.
#8 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love it. What a wonderful baby seat! It's awesome and my DS loves sitting in his.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#9 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 PM

I had no idea it was "developmentally inappropriate". A friend of my mom's gave ds one. He is 3 months old and it basically molds to them so they can sit. How is it any different than sitting upright in my lap leaning against me??? He uses it maybe 10 minutes a day and he gets the proudest look on his face. Then he lets me know he is done and we take him out of it. I usually sit him in it when playing board games with my older son and I think Nathan thinks he is part of the action. Then when tired of it, he sits in my lap. You can actually see him sitting in it *just fine* in a pic on the link below.

My silly, skinny 6 year old also thinks it is really fun to sit in as well!
#10 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:44 PM

There are some people on here who will come down pretty harshly on people who use the Bumbo, to the point of saying "I'm amazed that someone on MDC would use this" (translation, if you use this you aren't good enough of a mother to be posting here) :

I have it. I used it from about 3-6 months. It was convenient item for those inbetween months where she wanted to be upright and wasn't physically capable yet. I used it for brief moments occasionally...10 minutes when doing something I couldn't sling her for, like the laundry or cooking on the stove.

It did not lessen my attachment to her, it did not lessen her attachment to me, and it did not cause horrible back and hip problems.

Used IN MODERATION it is a cute, handy little thing, but not necessary by any means. It's pricey. I'd recommend borrowing from someone before you spend 40 bucks on something that will only be good for a few months.
#11 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
I had no idea it was "developmentally inappropriate".
I wouldn't have even asked if I were you soapdiva. Is right.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#12 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 06:51 PM

All bolding is mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
I had no idea it was "developmentally inappropriate". A friend of my mom's gave ds one. He is 3 months old and it basically molds to them so they can sit. How is it any different than sitting upright in my lap leaning against me??? He uses it maybe 10 minutes a day and he gets the proudest look on his face. Then he lets me know he is done and we take him out of it. I usually sit him in it when playing board games with my older son and I think Nathan thinks he is part of the action. Then when tired of it, he sits in my lap. You can actually see him sitting in it *just fine* in a pic on the link below.

My silly, skinny 6 year old also thinks it is really fun to sit in as well!
Yeah. I TOTALLY AGREE. I think that when something is "developmentally appropriate", your DC will be the first to let you know. MY DS started using his around 4 months, and really loved it. Not all the time, of course, but when he did sit in it, it was something that he seemed to enjoy. When he was done, he let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
There are some people on here who will come down pretty harshly on people who use the Bumbo, to the point of saying "I'm amazed that someone on MDC would use this" (translation, if you use this you aren't good enough of a mother to be posting here) :

I have it. I used it from about 3-6 months. It was convenient item for those inbetween months where she wanted to be upright and wasn't physically capable yet. I used it for brief moments occasionally...10 minutes when doing something I couldn't sling her for, like the laundry or cooking on the stove.

It did not lessen my attachment to her, it did not lessen her attachment to me, and it did not cause horrible back and hip problems.

Used IN MODERATION it is a cute, handy little thing, but not necessary by any means. It's pricey. I'd recommend borrowing from someone before you spend 40 bucks on something that will only be good for a few months.
Yep. Exactly.

I totally reccomend getting one. It's awesome! :
#13 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:04 PM

I have one. I think it's "developmentally inappropriate" for my (almost) 4 month old baby right now because his head is still a little wobbly when he sits in it, but I look forward to using it in the future. He likes sitting up a lot when we pull him up, but he still slumps over in the Bumbo.
#14 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:05 PM

We love ours and use it in moderation for sure. I don't see how it's developmentally inappropriate, since it causes them to sit with legs slightly higher than bum, so their weight is on their bottom, not their spine -- it causes her to sit the same way she sat in my Kozy mei tai, and I doubt you'll find many here who'll argue THAT'S not a healthy way for babies to be.

Anyway, if you decide to try it, just make sure not to use it in the tub, and to ALWAYS be right there when baby's in it, as they can flip out by arching their backs. Also don't put it on a table or raised or uneven surface, but those are common sense things to me. *shrugs*

We like ours very much, our pediatrician AND chiropractor both said it wasn't harmful to her in any way (both are pretty crunchy, btw), and we plan to use it as a booster seat in restaurants soon, as she's already sitting up on her own nearly unassisted nonstop now.

But the bottom line is, if you don't feel in your gut it's a good thing, then don't use it. And if baby doesn't like it, don't use it. But our babe enjoys sitting in it on the floor while I'm in the kitchen doing things I can't do with her in the sling. And I wasn't comfy putting her in the exersaucer until she could firmly put her weight on her feet (we aren't fans of putting weight on baby's crotch as it's not a weight-bearing area of the body), so the bumbo was a great alternative, since she would cry if lying on a blanket (she LOVES to sit up to see). Anyway, it's definitely been a help for us. And I'm very glad we have one.

But the key with it (as with anything except being in mama's arms) is moderation and go with your gut.

ETA: I have heard in the past people argue that babies shouldn't be in a seated/upright position until they're able to do so on their own and forgive me for saying so, but I think that's silly. Guinevere has preferred to by upright since day one and when in our laps would fuss if she wasn't "sitting up."

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#15 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decca View Post
I have one. I think it's "developmentally inappropriate" for my (almost) 4 month old baby right now because his head is still a little wobbly when he sits in it, but I look forward to using it in the future. He likes sitting up a lot when we pull him up, but he still slumps over in the Bumbo.
Yeah, I started using mine once DS could hold his head up really well.

We never got a high chair b/c we had the Bumbo. Now DS just eats wherever we are.
#16 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 PM

They are often used in Physical Therapy with premies and babies with low muscle tone. There is some mention to it on the bumbo seat main homepage

Sage is 16 months and Maia is almost 4 and they both like it as a booster or just a place to hang out and read a book (not sure why, I think they like the woord "Bumbo")
#17 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:15 PM

Oh yeah -- I forgot to add that -- please don't use it until your babe has strong head control.

#18 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:22 PM

My DS is 3 months old today and has sat in it for 2 weeks wonderfully. He holds his head up very well and is quite strong. It all depends on the baby.

#19 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 07:51 PM

Our dd was born with head control, and was sitting without support late in her second month of life. This was not worth buying for us. She thought it was hilariously funny, so maybe it was worth the three minute giggle fit we got when we first tried it, but overall not worth buying. It made for some cute photo shoots a couple times, and got no further use.

She was VERY chubby and didn't fit in it long anyway. Her thighs were just too fat for the leg holes. Also, she could get out of it by arching her back and popping out over the back of it. We didn't use it much.

Probably e-bay bound...
#20 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM

ArtistMama has a good point: definitely try it out in the store first -- some babies might be too chunky to be comfy, for sure! Bumbos come out the box easily.

#21 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:03 PM

I don't think it's developmentally appropriate. Nothing to do with attachment or lack of attachment.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#22 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:07 PM

We don't have one. I admit I was a little turned off by them when I first saw them. But I hear a lot of moms rave about them. I thought they looked like they would be hard and uncomfortable for the baby but lots of babies like them I hear. Like pp have said--I think it's one of those things that just should be used in moderation.
#23 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
be hard and uncomfortable for the baby but lots of babies like them I hear
It is actually made of a sort of soft, rubbery material that molds to the body. Seems like it would be comfy!
#24 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:25 PM

I had one for my DS, he didn't care for it, but I plan on getting one for my friends DS because I think he'd really like it. She won't use it a lot, but I can see when it would be useful. Sometimes ya gotta clean house of fold laundry and her DS is getting too big for the swing. LOL

Oh, and I can see it being super useful in a resturant! When they outgrow the carseat but can't sit in a high chair.

I should add that my friends DS is nearly 6 months old so it's more developmentally appropriate for him, he's already trying to sit up but is unsteady yet.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#25 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM

My daughter would have let me know in no short order that it was 'developmentally inappropriate' - but she refused to sit in my lap until she had figured out how to sit on her own at 6 months. You should have seen the fit she threw if you tried to sit her down! Only standing was acceptable.
#26 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 PM

OT: How old does a baby have to be before they are old enough to sit in a highchair? We started using one at restaurants from 6 months on, with jackets piled behind her to fill the empty space in the chair.
#27 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM

I wish it was in the budget for us. DD has had amazing head and neck control for months, and starts yelling at us if she's NOT sitting up. It's her favorite position, and any time she's even remotely reclining, she fights tooth and nail to pull herself in to a sitting position. I think a few minutes a day might make her happy, kwim?

Unfortunately we have no money, nor do I know anyone who doesn't use theirs anymore. Oh well. She'll probably be sitting by herself soon enough, or we'll just keep propping her up on the couch, although she yells if we go out of eyesight.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#28 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I don't think it's developmentally appropriate. Nothing to do with attachment or lack of attachment.
Doesn't this depend on the baby? If you have a 3 month old who is sitting on their own...how is a little moulded butt chair inappropriate developmentally? Other than they don't need it?
#29 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMama View Post
Doesn't this depend on the baby? If you have a 3 month old who is sitting on their own...how is a little moulded butt chair inappropriate developmentally? Other than they don't need it?
Just that. Then they don't need it.

-Angela
#30 of 180 Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 PM

Nothing new to add. I just wanted to say "YEAH!" to the points already made about PTs using the Bumbo for babies with hypotonia..the seats are a much cheaper seating option than very pricey Tumbleforms for some kiddos. My 5 month old DS is just starting to like his... we love to have picnics on our living room floor with him. He watches us eat now, but I can't wait to use it as a highchair. I'm glad to hear that a Ped and a chiropractor have given it the green light. Follow your gut and your child's lead...and go for it!

"Hey, mama!" to the fried dough lovin', monkey-boy.joy.gifI'm back and ready to chat!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page