How long does a baby need milk/formula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't seem to find a straight answer for this anywhere. If I have run out of breast milk, how old does a baby need to be before they can switch entirely to regular food?

O.k. I think I found an answer. One year. The question is, then, how much formula does she absolutely need to have.
#2 of 41 Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 PM

You might post in the breastfeeding challenges forum way down on the page if you're worried about running out of milk.
#3 of 41 Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 PM

We weaned at 18 mos and cow's milk still didn't agree with her, so we did no milk or formula at all until 2 yo when cow's milk suddenly became the greatest thing ever in her world.
#4 of 41 Old 10-04-2006, 10:10 PM

I think in most cases formula after 12 months is a waste of money. I wouldn't buy "follow up" formulas unless there is a medical indication to do so. We switched to goat milk with Paddy at 12 months.
#5 of 41 Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 PM

How old is your baby? A baby's main source of nutrition prior to his first birthday should be breastmilk or formula. This IS your baby's food...don't view it as 'how much does he absolutely have to have.'
#6 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

The problem is that all of the formula I have tried has given her terrible constipation. There are a couple others that people have recommended that I have to try to locate. Meanwhile though, I don't know how much she is missing out on. Should she be having three bottles a day? I am giving her as much ffood as I can to make up for lost milk, but she still needs more.

She suffers when I give her formula, so I want to give her the minimum possible. It has nothing to do with cost.
#7 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 01:03 AM

How old is your baby? 3 bottles sounds reasonable-even good, unless she is really suffering with constipation.
#8 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 01:24 AM

How old is the baby? Can you get raw goat milk or raw cow milk in your area? Have you tried oatmeal and fenugreek for your milk supply?
#9 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

She is almost 10 months. I am pregnant, so can't take any herbs. I still have a little milk, but know I will soon run out. I am just trying to figure out if I can get away with switching her to solids, and only giving her a little formula. I have only been giving her about 5 oz. a day, since I still have milk. I mix it in with her food. Formula smells disgusting, and she won't drink it unless I disguise it.
#10 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewendy View Post
She is almost 10 months. I am pregnant, so can't take any herbs. I still have a little milk, but know I will soon run out. I am just trying to figure out if I can get away with switching her to solids, and only giving her a little formula. I have only been giving her about 5 oz. a day, since I still have milk. I mix it in with her food. Formula smells disgusting, and she won't drink it unless I disguise it.
I definately wouldn't use the formula -- it is a highly processed dead food. I would try to find raw goat or cow milk, maybe at health food stores or local farm(or check out www.realmilk.com). Feed her high omega 3 free range egg yolks often-- easy to mix a raw yolk into certain foods like mashed potatoes or cooked brown rice etc. The yolks as well as red meats are good for iron content and essential fatty acids.

Good luck with this, mama..you know, being pregnant and nursing and having had a baby just 10 months ago; you would also benefit from raw milk, yolks, fish, red meat etc...or if you're veg then milk, yolks, hemp oil etc.
#11 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 11:40 AM

I think many recommend some sort of milk for up until 2 yo at least. They need a lot of fats for brain development. I'd look into how to balance that out, if you can't give cow or goat milk.
#12 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I would nix the formula and prepare a goat's milk formula instead--hopefully your grocery or health food store carries it (ours does). In 2 months you can switch to straight goat's milk. I don't know enough about formula feeding to know if you could just go ahead with straight goat's milk now since your baby is older and eating solids, but maybe someone else does? My baby is 10 months, too, and I can't pump to save my life--if I ever have an emergency and need to be separated, I plan on using goat's milk for ds if it's necessary.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#13 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins10705 View Post
I definately wouldn't use the formula -- it is a highly processed dead food. I would try to find raw goat or cow milk, maybe at health food stores or local farm(or check out www.realmilk.com). Feed her high omega 3 free range egg yolks often-- easy to mix a raw yolk into certain foods like mashed potatoes or cooked brown rice etc. The yolks as well as red meats are good for iron content and essential fatty acids.

Good luck with this, mama..you know, being pregnant and nursing and having had a baby just 10 months ago; you would also benefit from raw milk, yolks, fish, red meat etc...or if you're veg then milk, yolks, hemp oil etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I think many recommend some sort of milk for up until 2 yo at least. They need a lot of fats for brain development. I'd look into how to balance that out, if you can't give cow or goat milk.
IMO 2 years for some sort of milk is minimum. Three to four years is very beneficial. Try to keep nursing her if you can because she will be able to get tons of milk once the new baby comes.
#14 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM

If you are using formula with iron, that could be causing her constipation. Try one without iron and see if that helps. I also thought they needed some type of "fatty" milk until two years old for brain development. Have you asked your doctor?
#15 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
when you say you are mixing it in with her food, do you mean you are mixing straight powder in with her food or that you are mixing properly prepared formula in? if you are just mixing in the powder or a concentrated version, that is probobly causing the constipation.
#16 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM

I have to agree with "keep nursing her!" Even when there's no milk, keep nursing her if she'll stick with it. How long do you have to go? your colostrum will probably start coming in weeks before the birth. And colostrum is great stuff! In addition to being nutritious and full of antibodies, it cures constipation. And once your other baby is born, you can nurse them both. Tandem nursing has been a great experience for me.

I dunno squat about formula, but I'd probably supplement with goat's milk if necessary.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#17 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 06:01 PM

I also want to offer you a hug because when I got preg unexpectedly when dd was 16 mos and my milk dried up, just the whole deal--pregnant, toddler, etc--was overwhelming and difficult. So just a hug for that.

I did decide to wean because no milk combined with sensitive first tri nipples was excruciating for me. So I am hearin' ya. I vote for goat's milk formula.
#18 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post
And colostrum is great stuff! In addition to being nutritious and full of antibodies, it cures constipation. .
Does it ever! I've tandemned both of my older girls and when my colostrum came in around 25 weeks they had two weeks of lots of mushy poop.
#19 of 41 Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 PM

Our ped said I couls suppliment dd with whole cows milk when she was around11m, I was still bf and pumping...just didn't pump enough for what I thought she needed...but then her ped educated me when she was about 18m old.....said she did not need 5 8oz cups of cows milk a day
I would try 1/2 ebm and 1/2 cows milk if possible
#20 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 02:48 AM

Quote:

Well, if you want your baby to get e. coli or other germs, you could do this. Or samonella from the raw egg yolks. NOT SAFE!

Powedered, milk-based formula is said, by the WHO (an organization extremely supportive of breastfeeding), to be the safest and best alternative. Saying it is "dead" doesn't mean anything except that it's sterilized. I would never, ever give raw milk or other raw animal products to a baby. A grown child would be different. Babies have very different needs than what is in plain cow's or goat's milk, raw or not, and formula does what it can to match those needs (the right ratios of micronutrients, nucleotides, and at least one form of omega-3 supplimentation.)

I think COOKED omega-3, organic egg yolks are a great idea. Formula is not the end of the world. If one must suppliment, it is the best and safest alternative other than banked human milk, of course. I'd suggest organic formula made with 100% lactose (i.e. yes to the walmart parents choice brand, NO to the similac brand) if your child can tolerate it, or a predigested formula (gentleease, goodstart) if she can't, and if all else fails, a hypoallergenic formula (Nutrimagen, alimentum), but those have some other bad ingredients in them and taste HORRIBLE, so only use if needed

Let's not get confused between the evilness that is formula company marketing (I.e. VERY VERY EVIL) and the actual formula itself (only used when bm isn't availble, but has saved more than one baby, including mine, when my boobs wouldn't work.) Thank god we have formula to suppliment with, as opposed to corn sugar water like they used to use, or plain cow's milk, which is terrible and harmful for babies.
#21 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think the previous poster meant raw yolks, I think the raw was in regards to the milk.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#22 of 41 Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
easy to mix a raw yolk into certain foods like mashed potatoes or cooked brown rice etc
Ooops, I guess she did, sorry.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#23 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 02:52 AM

#24 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Why can't you educate yourself a little before posting this kind of crap? Do you even know where the raw egg/e. coli connection comes into play? Are you afraid of anything that isn't processed and sealed in a can? Or do you continue to spew this worthless misinformation in effort to make yourself feel more comfortable with your choices?
Okay, I'm not the original poster, but....huh?

If you read back - she said that you could get salmonella from raw eggs. Not e. coli. The e. coli reference was to the raw red meat suggestion. How is that worthless information that she's spewing to make herself feel better with her choices?

And, having gotten e. coli in the past...bleh.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#25 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 AM

who said anything about red raw meat?
#26 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 03:41 AM

Post #10...recommending raw milk, yolks, fish, red meat, etc...I read that as recommending them all raw. Although, re-reading it, I see she was recommending it for the mother. Either way, I don't think I'd eat raw meat unless I knew *exactly* where it came from. At least not in this country.

Either way though, she was saying that raw eggs contained salmonella, something I would definitely not want my baby to pick up.

-sarah-
#27 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
Either way though, she was saying that raw eggs contained salmonella, something I would definitely not want my baby to pick up.

If you look up the statistics on getting salmonella from supermarket eggs -- you will find that about one in 30,000 conventional eggs turn out to have salmonella. Even then - -the salmonella would generally be on the shell, not in the yolk.

There are no stats that I know of for free range organic high omega 3 eggs, like I recommended, though one could stand to reason that it would be a much slighter chance than factory farmed conventional eggs.

You have a greater chance of your baby getting killed when you take her out for a car ride than from aquiring salmonella poisoning from the yolk of a fresh, organic free range chicken egg. The health benefits of raw yolks for non breastfed children far outweigh the next to nil risk of illness.
#28 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Why can't you educate yourself a little before posting this kind of crap? Do you even know where the raw egg/e. coli connection comes into play? Are you afraid of anything that isn't processed and sealed in a can? Or do you continue to spew this worthless misinformation in effort to make yourself feel more comfortable with your choices?

By feeding your baby a load of heat treated synthetic crapola, you are setting her up for serious health problems in the future. I suggest you read up on "Enzyme Nutrition" and the health benefits of a raw diet.
Wow, that was nasty.

I am always shocked and saddened to read these kind of condescending posts on MDC. Why do you feel it necessary to tear a person down, instead of educate them? You know the age old saying; "you catch more bees with honey then you do vinegar"? Well, your post was dripping with vinegar.

I for one was looking forward to a well thought out response to Jenny, including links and other useful information, not some holier then thou, you don't know crap, get the hell out of here 'till you know better response.

Seriously, you can do better then that. Now, instead of being a bully, why don't you educate those of us (including me) who don't know (because I am GENUINELY interested) any better about raw food, share some links, and actually give some information on the subject.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#29 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Wow, that was nasty.

I am always shocked and saddened to read these kind of condescending posts on MDC. Why do you feel it necessary to tear a person down, instead of educate them? You know the age old saying; "you catch more bees with honey then you do vinegar"? Well, your post was dripping with vinegar.

I for one was looking forward to a well thought out response to Jenny, including links and other useful information, not some holier then thou, you don't know crap, get the hell out of here 'till you know better response.

Seriously, you can do better then that. Now, instead of being a bully, why don't you educate those of us (including me) who don't know (because I am GENUINELY interested) any better about raw food, share some links, and actually give some information on the subject.
Look, that particular poster has been doing this for MONTHS ok. Originally, months ago, I was trying to educate. She refuses to back up her claims and misinformation with any evidence. She ignores those who question her and ask her to explain why fresh, whole foods are dangerous -- yet a mass produced, ultra heat treated, chemical cocktail like conventional formula are "the healthiest choice" for supplementation.

I and others here have provided many links and supplied clear logic many times over -- it is Jenny-g's turn to supply something to back up her passionate opinions!

I guess I was pretty harsh, it was late and I just happened to run across this post -- it just really burns me up that the same person is putting out obfuscating and just plain false information. I'm sorry you found my post offensive. I just hope that no one read's jenny-g's posts and are influenced to switch their precious babe to processed formula because of her outright false claims.

Here are a list of links that have a lot of good info:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/index.html

www.realmilk.com

http://www.alissacohen.com/faqs.html

For further reading on the subject of nutrition, I personally recommend:

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
Enzyme Nutrition by Edward Howell
Sugar Blues by William Defty

ETA: here's just one example where that poster invaded a thread, dropped her misinformation bombs, and fled without a word of explanation: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=527566&page=2
#30 of 41 Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
If you look up the statistics on getting salmonella from supermarket eggs -- you will find that about one in 30,000 conventional eggs turn out to have salmonella. Even then - -the salmonella would generally be on the shell, not in the yolk.

There are no stats that I know of for free range organic high omega 3 eggs, like I recommended, though one could stand to reason that it would be a much slighter chance than factory farmed conventional eggs.

You have a greater chance of your baby getting killed when you take her out for a car ride than from aquiring salmonella poisoning from the yolk of a fresh, organic free range chicken egg. The health benefits of raw yolks for non breastfed children far outweigh the next to nil risk of illness.
You're completely right about the greater chance of being in a car crash (although re: the salmonella it's 1 in 20,000 or a 0.045% chance according to here, if you only consume 20 undercooked eggs a year). It would make sense to me that salmonella could be present in free range eggs also due to the fact that it is a naturally occuring bacteria.

I do have a greater chance of my child being killed when I take her out for a car ride - however, I can't avoid taking her out in the car if I want to get anywhere where I live, but I can avoid feeding her raw eggs.

Also, re: the homemade formula - everywhere I've read says that milk contains too much protein/minerals for an infant's digestive system and can cause problems, which is the biggest argument behind not using homemade formulas. I did go look at your links and didn't see any address of that issue on the Weston A. Price site. Am I missing it?

-sarah-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page