Is yogurt bad for babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My grandma gives Abryn yogurt. Should I tell her to stop? I've never heard anything about yogurt and babies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2006, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It depends on who you ask.
Personally, I do give my baby yogurt, I like the YoBaby brand. A lot of people say you should avoid dairy in the first year in case of food allergies.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:12 PM

You may want to check out a super baby feeding resource book called SUPER BABY FOOD.

The author recommends yogurt as a good "first food" depending on when you start solids, which most posters around here encourage you to wait until 6 months old or longer. My ds wasn't really interested in solid foods until closer to 8 months and he LOVES yogurt. I give him a brand called BROWN COW, plain, organic.

I've heard some moms say that yogurt gave there babe gas but we have not had that experience. Once thing to keep in mind about yogurt is that the calcium interferes with iron absorption so I don't serve yogurt at the same time as yams (for example) to try to maximize the benefits of each food.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:16 PM

I gave organic plain whole milk yogurt to my babies from 9 mo onwards. They loved it, it has protein, fat and carbs and probiotics all rolled into one - useful baby food I think. I often mix it with fruit and oatmeal for breakfast.

I wouldn't rush to give a baby those sweetened yogurts though. I like the Stonybrook Farm yogurt - I heard it has a good mix of probiotic cultures in it.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:17 PM

From what I remember, Dr. Sears says yogurt is a great way to introduce dairy to a baby (as long as mom and dad don't have any dairy allergies)...I think he says to do it later in their first year, but before age one is okay.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 10-06-2006, 05:20 PM

I just noticed your baby is almost 5mo old? I wouldn't give yogurt to a baby that young. I wouldn't be giving solids at all that early. How is your baby tolerating it?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:25 PM

according to my doctor no. She does however say to hold off on any egg product until at least 9 months because their digestive systems aren't ready for egg also to watch out for custard and pudding because of eccoli (sp?)
Old 10-06-2006, 05:28 PM

We gave Phoenix yogurt from an early age, about 4 months, I think. It was more of a sanity saver than anything else for me, since she refused anything else that her grandparents could give her when I needed a few hours to myself or alone with my husband. She vehemently refused expressed breastmilk for some reason. She didn't suffer any ill effects, even though breastmilk would have been better, if she would have drinken it from something other than the breast.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At 5 mos I'd say no. When she's a little older I'd start with a goat's milk yogurt (you can make it at home) since goat's milk's easier to digest than cow's and you don't get any added sugars or fillers or anything like what's in some commercial yogurts. You can sweeten your own with berries and fruit if you want it sweetened at all.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 10-06-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
I just noticed your baby is almost 5mo old? I wouldn't give yogurt to a baby that young. I wouldn't be giving solids at all that early. How is your baby tolerating it?
well Abryn seems fine with the yogurt. and she doesn't get it very often, just when Grandma's eating it and then only if Grandma wants to give her some, and she only gives her a tiny bit. I just wasn't sure if maybe it could cause some harm in some way.

on the topic of solid foods, I started spoon feeding her around 4 months, not knowing any better, but then I stopped when I realized she doesn't really need to be eating from a spoon and I'd rather start her out on stuff she can hold and choose and nibble on, like apples or bananas, which we do if she seems interested in food. but it definitely isn't an every day thing.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 AM

I've heard yogurt is very good for babies, both from my Dr. and books I've read, so long as it's whole milk yogurt. I think yogurt (while technically a dairy) is different then most dairy foods, like for example people who are lactose intollerant can eat yogurt with no problems.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:13 AM

We were going to visit my mother, who insisted that she would be feeding my baby some more exciting food as soon as we got there - namely banana and yoghurt. So I asked our ped ('cos knowing my mother not much was going to stop her unless I *REALLY* put my foot down) and the ped said it was fine. So since then (and dd was about 8-9months) she's been having plain whole milk yoghurt (normally mixed with fruit) and she loves it.
Oh, and DD did have a great time with her grandma, who slipped her all sorts of things her mother wouldn't let her eat (salty crackers anyone?)
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM

A lot of the lactose in yogurt is broken down, so it is much less likely to cause problems than straight cow's milk. I wouldn't give it before 9 months or so, personally. My own experience is that dd could tolerate yogurt and cheese (which also has most of the lactose broken down) when I introduced them at 9 months, but she could not tolerate straight cow's milk until she was about two. Haven't tried any dairy products on ds yet...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:44 PM

i started dd on yogurt, minimally, around 9 months. it's a great food to up the beneficial flora in the gut, especially if you are ever dealing with thrush. i agree with the pp that said to stay away from the ones with sugar.
as for the pp about eggs...the white is what is generally allergy causing. the yolk is a great first food for brain development.
fwiw - dd is 13 months now and still gets her primary nourishment from breastmilk. food is still for fun.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 PM

My 9 mo. old eats plain soy yogurt, with granola or cereal mixed in. It's one of the only things we've ever given him on a spoon, since he mostly self-feeds.

User Tag List