Baby shaking head back and forth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't seem like she's doing this voluntarily. I googled it, but I got a lot of shaken baby websites, or developmental milestones, and I don't think that's what this is. Is this a common baby thing I didn't know about, or should I be worried?
#2 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM

Does your baby have reflux that you know about? Sometimes babies with reflux have a behavior called Sandifer's Syndrome. I videotaped my baby doing one version of it. You can see it by scrolling down about halfway through the photos.
http://members.cox.net/sukumaran/Ref...lux_photos.htm

Does it seem like she's aware of her surroundings when she does it, or "out of it"?

Sometimes babies just do strange things for no reason at all. It could be that, too.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

No, she definitely doesn't have reflux.

And she does seem aware of her surroundings. It's like, we're playing, and she'll shake her head, and I always stop and stare at her, cause it freaks me out, and she'll look at me and smile, and do it again. So it doesn't seem pathological, but it worries me. At first I thought it was the wobbly baby getting her balance thing, but she's beyond that phase now.
#4 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 PM

How old is she? My daughter did that ALL THE TIME for a while! Around eight to 10 months, I think. It was very freaky to watch - she'd sit and shake her head back and forth really hard, then smile and laugh and do it again.

She's five now and seems to be OK. ;-) Seriously, I think some kids just really like to experiment with physical sensations. She still loves to be tickled and turned upside down and swung through the air, and she loooooves rollercoasters. She likes to turn around until she's so dizzy she falls down, too.
#5 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM

My grandson 10 months old does that all the time, its like a playful communication and sometimes he does it when touching something he knows he is not supposed to. I get the impression he is doing it to be fun or funny.

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#6 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 PM

My dd does this to but to me it seems like a cold chill or something, definitely involuntary. It really freaked me out when she started doing it but she seems fine in every other way and we have a pedi appt in a week. I got so scared the first time I thought I had given her brain damage somehow! (first time mom)
#7 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Dd started doing this for a while, and it became a game. She would mimic anyone who shook their head 'no'...even when the cats shook their heads. Not that they were saying 'no', but they do shake their heads sometimes...

Anyway, I think she just thought it was funny. It makes her smile and laugh when other people do it back to her, but I was also concerned when she seemed to be doing it a LOT. I was thinking she might have tourettes syndrome.

She's almost 11 months now and she doesn't do it as much. Usually she'll do it as part of a conversation. "Baby, are you ready for bath time??" *baby shakes head* I'm sure she doesn't realize it means 'no' yet, but it makes us laugh.
#8 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 08:32 PM

Just jumping in here... my son is 10 months old and he does this all the time. We talk to him like a person and not all that "goo goo ga ga" stuff and he always does it at the funniest times, and usually when someone who can talks response would have been no. I think its cute. But i dont think there is anything wrong with it.. just learning how to move things. He repeats everything we do... makes kisses, waves his hands, makes noises... so im assuming its just a watched behavior that he probably saw someone do and likes to do it. I wouldnt worry if i was you, but thats JMO.
#9 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 PM

When my ds was that age he would shake his head back and forth when he was tired. I always took that as a sleepy sign and put him down for a nap.

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
#10 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 09:12 PM

My DS did that for a while. Freaked me and my DH both out. But, it turned out it wasn't anything to worry about. I think he just liked experimenting with the sensation of it.
#11 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 PM

I agree with all the PPs - my DD is 10 mo and she has been doing this for a couple months - shakes head then looks to see if we're looking then she smiles and laughs. I think we must have laughed at it when she did it the first few times and it must have stuck!

Callie, mom to Nora (12/7/05)
#12 of 14 Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 AM

Ian is doing the same thing all the time right now! It cracks me up. He thinks it's really funny to shake his head. It's like a science experiement or something, I swear he does it to throw his equalibrium off!! He also does it when he's really tired, sometimes while nursing to sleep which is fun!

I remember Gracie doing the same thing. I think it's a normal stage. A new weird feeling they can control! Silly babies!
#13 of 14 Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

dd is 8.5 mo old, and it seems like most of the people in this thread have had babies start this between 8 and 10 mo, so I guess it's normal, not to be worried about. Thanks mamas, I knew I could count on you!
#14 of 14 Old 10-12-2006, 08:12 AM

DS is 8 mos old and started to mimic my 9 year old nephew's head shaking at about 6 mos. At first, he also only did it when he was tired, but now he's started doing it more as he interacts with people. He does it a lot in the high chair. I think he likes the sensation (kind of like when little kids spin themsleves around until they fall down), and he definitely likes the reaction he gets from people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page