Best yogurt for babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is YoBaby any good. (No plans to start now, just thinking about the future) Is there any other brands that are easy to get, and are better? (our nearest organic market is over an hour away)

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#2 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We use YoBaby because it's easily accessable and the nearest Whole Foods (or equivelent) is about 90 minutes away. Locally, YoBaby is the only thing I can find that's full fat and has no fake sweetners.
#3 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 PM

Look in a mediterranean grocery store for greek yogurt, especially if you can find organic stuff. Greek yogurt is made with cream as well as milk and is typically 10% fat, plus it has no sugar or flavourings. I mix it with banana and prunes (no, DD is not constipated, she just likes prunes).

If you're in Canada, by any chance, Liberty brand makes a good "mediterranean style" plain yogurt. If you're in the US, what the heck is up with you guys and the low fat yogurt??? WHY can you not buy full-fat yogurt? What is WRONG with you people??

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#4 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

(I have a DD Rowan too! 02.25.02)

Yeah, I have a heck of a time finding yogurt that isn't low-fat here.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#5 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM

my son loved the yobaby yogurt.
#6 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brown Cow whole milk yogurt is DELICIOUS, if you can find that! They make a plain one.

You could make your own (this coming from someone who has her own yogurt maker but has never used it!) from organic milk. I hear it's not too hard.

Mary
#7 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 11:04 PM

If you can get plain whole milk yogurt, you can add your own sweetener (fruit, molasses, etc.) Otherwise, and hopefully someone will know for sure, you can freeze yogurt. If that is the case, then when you go to Whole Foods, buy about a gallon of the plain or maple Brown Cow yogurt and freeze it. Yum! It's my favorite. I think YoBaby is probably pretty good, especially if you are limited by your selection.

Have fun! My daughter loves yogurt.
#8 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM

I find whole yogurt all of the time and I live in a small town in Vermont. Trader Joes sells whole yogurt, Stonyfield has whole yogurt (with cream on the top), Brown Cow and tons of local farmers around here make whole yogurt.
#9 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM

I make my own a few times a week. I love the greek yogurt made by Total (I think), though I was hating spending $1.59 a container. I use organic whole milk and make it plain for me and the babe, and with strawberry preserves or fresh blueberries for DH. He stirs in a little honey and it's sweet enough for him. DS has never had it sweet so he loves it just the way it is!
I bought my yogurt maker from Williams Sonoma, but I get the starter through Amazon. Amazon has some great reviews if you're interested! As for being time consuming, it takes just a few minutes to scald the milk, about 5 for it to cool down, and then just a few more to strain (I like mine extra smooth) and put it into the jars. Then you just leave it in the machine for 8 hours and bada bing...healthy yogurt!

Freelance Chef/Gluten Free Food Blogger and SAHM to The Boy 12/05 and The Girl 11/07.  Berkeley Girl (at heart) living and eating my way through Paris.  And yes, French wine really is that good. 

#10 of 22 Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 PM

Oh yes, my daughter loves it plain as much as she does sweetened too.
#11 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 11:07 AM

My babies like yogurt -- I use the plain whole milk kind and add our own fruit. Yobaby has way too much sugar for our liking.
#12 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Organic plain whole milk yogurt -- we like Brown Cow, Nancy's, and a bunch of other local/regional brands. It is still dd's favorite food, hands down. Loves it as-is (so do I), but it's also a great vessel for other stuff. We often put some quinoa or barley in there (she seems to prefer them that way), or grind up some steamed kale and mix it in (she hates the texture of leaves ), etc, etc. I feel babies really do not need added sweeteners in YoBaby. HTH!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#13 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM

Brown Co-- do they have organic?
#14 of 22 Old 10-24-2006, 06:32 PM

I love Brown Cow too - here is their website:
http://www.browncowfarm.com/
#15 of 22 Old 10-26-2006, 03:38 PM

I just buy the plain local yogurt that is sold at Cub. The great thing about it, I mix it with other foods DD usually spits out (squash, beans) and she will eat them. YEA for yogurt!!
#16 of 22 Old 10-27-2006, 05:05 AM

I don't like Yobaby because there is so much sugar in it. We buy plain Kefir. I heard you can buy baby food fruit and mix it with plain yogurt. Or add some organic unsweetened apple sauce or make your own fruit puree.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#17 of 22 Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 AM

yogurt is SO easy to make, whether you have an extra appliance or not. I could give you the recipe if you want, and all you need to get started is a bunch of milk (this is great if you're on WIC and get more than you can drink), a pot, whisk, and some active culture yogurt from the store. very yummy.
#18 of 22 Old 10-28-2006, 01:01 AM

I give my kids Silk soy yogurt. They love it! I personally believe that soy is much better for you than dairy, although I know Sally Fallon would disagree.
We add Flax oil or other EFAs to it for extra fat.
#19 of 22 Old 10-28-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywaaz View Post
yogurt is SO easy to make, whether you have an extra appliance or not. I could give you the recipe if you want, and all you need to get started is a bunch of milk (this is great if you're on WIC and get more than you can drink), a pot, whisk, and some active culture yogurt from the store. very yummy.

Could I have the recipe please?

Thanks!

Shannon
#20 of 22 Old 10-28-2006, 01:37 AM

Omg plain whole Brown Cow is soooo good. Excuse me, I'm drooling here because I can't have dairy for awhile, sensitive baby and all. I feel like a dairy zombie! ::: brown cow yogurt ::: (arms outstretched)

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#21 of 22 Old 10-28-2006, 02:58 AM

I totally second the plain, whole milk yogurt with maybe a bit of fruit baby food in it. Yobaby has a HUGE amount of sugar in it. We are going to delay dairy and so won't need yogurt for a long time, but even I in boondocks IL can get the plain stonyfield farm whole milk organic (I know, I can't believe it either), so we're set there . I'm jealous of all of you who can get the greek yogurt. Yum.
#22 of 22 Old 10-28-2006, 09:38 AM

I add a spoonful of plain whole goat's milk yogurt to DS's food every few days. I like it. I bought cow's milk yogurt first, gave it to him once and then I got freaked out for some reason. So I switched to the goat's milk that our Wole Foods carries. DS likes it.
I definitely would just stick to plain yogurt. Fruit is a great natural sweetener. I even mixed yogurt with sweet potato; it was so good.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page