4 month checkup/i'm so ....confused? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ds had his 4 month checkup the other day and i was sick, so my husband took him in while i went and saw my doc.

she not only told him to put hydrocortizone cream on his cradle cap, but she told him he NEEDS to start on cereal. my husband then informed me that he recently read something that said that starting kids on solids earlier would PREVENT some food allergies. he said he would find me the article, but does anyone know about this?

Ok, hcc for cradle cap, with ds1 i just let it fall off, is that bad?

we did not start ds1 on solids until he was 9 months old, avacados and bananas, and that was with sooooooooo much pressure from dh.

and i thought food allergies were CAUSED by introducing them too early? by the way my 4mo weighs 17 pounds of bm. i'd say he's doing just fine.

am i missing something??

i take care of most of the kids things, so this hasn't been a problem in a loooong time, now all these old angsts are being brought back up again. i feel like crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid View Post
am i missing something??
Yeah, you're missing the fact you need a new ped. :

Really.

-Angela
#3 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just talking to someone about this the other day -- same situation with the hydrocortisone cream, which is a STEROID -- does your baby need that?? Instead she put olive oil on his head and combed his hair to get the big pieces out, and it cleared right up.

Follow your gut with the solid food.

Mary
#4 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM

The WHO (World Health Organization) has been saying to wait six months, for 16 years now! (And nine is fine too!)

Lots of info about solids from a bf knowledgable source!
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#5 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't done anything for any of kids' cradle cap. It comes off eventually without doing anything special. He won't have it forever.
But using a steroid? Yuck!
And cereal? Go with your gut here. He doesn't need it.
#6 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM

My 9 mo. old still has cradle cap and I leave it alone. It is sloooowly getting better. No need for harsh meds! A lot of people tell me to scrub or scrape it off but I don't like doing even that. Your ped's solids info is way off, too. Read more about it and you'll see that. Educate yourself and you'll feel stronger in what you already instinctually know is true.

If you have to go to a pedi for some reason, listen to the applicable medical advice only. I've found their parenting advice is generally horrible.

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#7 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Yeah, you're missing the fact you need a new ped. :

Really.

-Angela
:

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#8 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM

:

As for cradle cap. We put oil on it, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and gently scrubbed it off w/ a soft toothbrush, then shampooed. It's all gone now-- only had to do that once.
#9 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 03:36 PM

Wow, that is really shocking. Seriously. I go to a main-stream ped. (because the waiting room is soooo much fun) and I can't even imagine them saying such wrong things. I would definitely get a new ped. Who knows what other wrong info they will give you along the way.
#10 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM

I used Weleda soap for shampoo when I just couldn't stand the cradle cap anymore - and it cleared right up.

I'd never put hcc on a baby. Or myself!!! Ick!

And I also agree that considering finding a new ped might be a good idea. No need for solids so early. Follow your gut. For every article that supports early feeding there are probably ten that support waiting. (My theory, I have no evidence to support it!! )

About that article. Look who wrote it, who sponsored it/funded the research, and who did the research, and who benefits from having babies go to solids early.

Family Insights: Helping kids and the parents they're raising. 
#11 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 05:08 PM

I recently heard that breastmilk is good for cradle cap too.

As for introducing solids that early, I THINK I remember there was a recent article or study or something about that on one of the morning news shows a while back. Maybe that is the study the ped was referring too. I heard it and thought it was bunk. I would definitely wait until at least 6 months. I think that is indeed the safer bet when it comes to food allergies and baby's readiness. You could always call up the office and ask the nurse about what the doc was referring to. If he (or she) makes many other weird suggestions like this I'd definitely think about finding a new ped.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#12 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Go by your own feelings rather than the doctor's. I can't believe they would give you hydrocort for the cradle cap!! That's not a very serious condition. Even the AAP recommends solids after 6 mos old. Can you get a new ped? I can't stress enough how important it is to have a ped who listens to you. My dd's ped blew me off so many times about her crying and poor feeding. I finally took her to ER one day and she was so thin and so sick with GERD that she was admitted for 6 days and came home on a feeding tube. I never went back to that ped.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#13 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Yep, new ped!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#14 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Check out this study from the BMJ (nee British Medical Journal)

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#15 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 06:32 PM

I agree with Angela, its time for a new ped. If your baby isn't stealing your food, you don't need to offer any for quite some time. Its generally suggested to start offering around 6 months, but you can even wait longer if you want. And it DOESN'T have to be cereal. What school did he go to I wonder, suggesting Hudrocortizone for cradle cap... Cradle cap is harmless! My dd had it, I rubbed baby oil on her head and gently massaged it off, and I did not use shampoo at all on her. It went away.
#16 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Is there some new study out or something?

We just had our 4 month today, and I almost fell over because our ped said "And you can start on rice cereal now." I said "WHY?" And she said that breastfed babies need iron starting at 6 months, and it's good to start the cereal early for practice so they'll take it "when they really need it." I said "What about the AAP and open gut?" And she said it was not a problem. And I must have looked shocked, because she said "Of course you don't have to start if you don't want to." I said there was no way I was giving any sort of food to a baby with the tongue thrust reflex. She sort of backed out of the room after that. I am so mad because I do think this is worth switching over, and so far they've been good in terms of quick sick visits and leaving us alone about vax. I'm going to do research to see exactly what the current science is, and if it doesn't agree with her, i'm sending her a huge fax along with a letter explaining why we're leaving.
#17 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Don't give in to the pressure. I wish I had waited with ds#1. He had such a hard time pooping after I tried him on rice cereal at 4 1/2 mths (he seriously didn't go for a week and a half). Ds#2 is going to be at least 6mths adjusted (so around 7 1/2 mths) unless he lets me know he needs it
#18 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 07:53 PM

I saw that new study too. I like how our ped put it--he basically said that nobody really knows for certain how babies should be fed, that all cultures have different guidelines and taboos, and "expert" opinion changes too. So I think it's most important to just watch your baby for signs. And rice cereal, LOL, why do doctors love that stuff so much? It's not a food! Anyhow, don't worry, mama, sounds like you have a chunky little baby there.
#19 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
WNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mary View Post
I was just talking to someone about this the other day -- same situation with the hydrocortisone cream, which is a STEROID -- does your baby need that?? Instead she put olive oil on his head and combed his hair to get the big pieces out, and it cleared right up.

Follow your gut with the solid food.

Mary
^--- this is what I did, worked like a charm. The information came straight out of a dermatology textbook, too.

http://www.dermatologyinfo.net/engli...pter27.htm#198
#20 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 PM

I think I remember reading about a study like your DH is talking about. As I recall, children who were EBF for longer were more likely to have food allergies. The researchers cocluded that longer EBF led to more allergies. Personally, I EBF DD for longer because of her allergies.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#21 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
I think I remember reading about a study like your DH is talking about. As I recall, children who were EBF for longer were more likely to have food allergies.
Many other sources say the opposite.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#22 of 37 Old 10-25-2006, 11:20 PM

New ped time!

Our ped (she's actually an ND who welcomes children to her practice) would fall on the floor in a dead faint if she was told what your doc said.

My kiddo never even had rice cereal, or any "baby" cereal, and he's very very healthy!!! And eats a ton, of GOOD REAL foods!

Steroids, rice cereal, russa frussa snicker snacker, mumble mumble....
#23 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM

I used coconut oil on my kids' cradle cap and eczema and it cleared it up nicely and naturally.
#24 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
Many other sources say the opposite.
Oops...sorry! Guess I was too subtle. The problem with the study was that they concluded children develop food allergies because they are EBF longer, while parents actually often EBF longer because their children have food allergies.

Clear as mud? :

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#25 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
Oops...sorry! Guess I was too subtle. The problem with the study was that they concluded children develop food allergies because they are EBF longer, while parents actually often EBF longer because their children have food allergies.

Clear as mud? :
That is exactly what a lot of other sources argue against. A lot of other studies say waiting longer for solid food prevents, not causes food allergies.

There may be stuff about this at http://www.kellymom.com

My feeling: those children who had solids delayed and still had food/respiratory allergies must have had a strong hereditary component, and surely would have been even sicker if they were not exclusively bf so long.

Or possibly these babies were given formula/solids earlier without the mother's knowledge in the hospital, by a babysitter/caregiver etc.

#26 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 PM

The new study referred to may have been this:

http://www.babycenter.com/news/archi...l?id=533062&i=

Originally published in the June 2006 Pediatrics - here is a link to the abstract (which doesn't provide much info), but you have to pay to see the full text http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...act/117/6/2175. It doesn't say whether the children in the study were bf or not or if that impacted their allergy risk. Also, only allergies to wheat are addressed - which may mean that other allergies were not affected by when grains are introduced.

Another note is that this study shows a benefit to children who eat grains before 6 months - not at 4 months.

This is a very recent study. I wouldn't base my behavior on it unless the results were confirmed by additional studies. And I would really like to see bfing specific data.
#27 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM

we had our 4 month visit this week too.
and I was surprised by this rice cereal thing too!

The nurse measured him, gave me a handout about feeding and said: "you can start feeding him solids within the next few months". And I asked her Why? and she said, "as he grows older toward 6 months he needs more calories, more than BF alone provides" and so I was truly shocked, didn't know that! So I asked: "how can avocados and bananas have more calories than breast milk?"
her reply - "no, you need to start him on rice cereal"

sheesh!

Pretty confusing to have the so-called experts telling us what we know is not true.
#28 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 PM

Wow. Our ped is quite mainstream, but we never get a lecture when we inform them of our choices.

They said at 4 months- 'She weighs enough, you could try starting some solids. At this point it's basically a social thing, as long as she has no tongue thrust.'

I said- 'Actually, we're waiting until six months. And we're starting with sweet potato, banana, avocado etc.'

They said- 'That's fine, too. Lots of people start with the cereals but there's no real reason that you have to.'

If they had been really insistant, I think we would have probably found a new ped. Living with IBS myself, I do not want to mess around with my daughter's digestive system, tyvm.
#29 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine45 View Post
she said, "as he grows older toward 6 months he needs more calories, more than BF alone provides"

Maybe I should introduce her to my ds, who was 25 lbs and covered in rolls at 9 months with no more than a few tastes of solid foods in his life!
#30 of 37 Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 PM

rice has a lot less calories than breast milk!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page