Baby bathtubs necessary? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are getting ready for our first, and we're trying to pare down the shopping list. Do any of you go without a baby bathtub? DH and I are big bath-takers, so it seems like an obvious one to go without. I remember my nephew, when he was a baby, would poop in his bath all the time . I guess when it's your child, you probably don't care though, huh?

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 PM

DS has always enjoyed showering with DH from day 1 as well. If you love baths, I think baby will enjoy it and feel a lot more secure with the skin to skin contact. I'd skip this one for sure! I don't think you need much beyond a carseat, some clothes, some blankets and a sling or wrap to carry the baby in.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:10 PM

I've just gotten in the big tub with my little guy from his first bath (well, DH did that one, I took pictures, but you get the idea )
we did get a couple different seats for in the bath, and I don't even use those anymore although my husband still uses one. He's not as comfortable just holding Bug as I am.

Although it might take a bit longer to have both of us in and out of the tub, I feel that there are advantages. It's easier to wash him when I'm right in there with him and I can use my whole body to help hold him. I won't have to transition him to the big tub and have it be strange and scary to him. And hey, it's fun! He has a great time splashing around, I have fun playing in there with him, everyone wins.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 PM

Just wanted to add - now that DS is older and sitting up, I put an old towel in the bottom of the tub under my legs and it helps prevent any slipping while we play.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

You're confirming what I suspected - my biggest memory of bathing dear nephew was how much my back ached afterward! Well, count me 1 baby gadget lighter!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 PM

I always took baths with dd when we had a tub. Now we only have a shower, which dd hates, but she loves taking baths in the kitchen sink

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM

I think baby bathtubs are much safer during the first few months than having them in the tub with you. Babies are so slippery and don't have much body control. I'd wait till your baby was at least able to sit up and then it's fun to take baths together, poop and all!

btw we got our bab bathtub for $10.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM

The baby bathtub is completely necessary if you want a place to hold all those stuffed animals you're bound to get. Yeah, thats what mine's for!

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

Old 10-27-2006, 08:19 PM

I've bathed all mine in the kitchen sink when they were tiny. With ds1, I did have one of those little frame things with the terry cloth stretched across it, though...I just leaned him back against that, and he didn't slip around.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-27-2006, 08:46 PM

i use a baby bath tub with my 7 week DS mainly because it has an attachable infant sling which i don't think i could be without. as a first time mom, i feel much more comfortable/confident giving him a bath because of that sling.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM

We had one with my first DS and used only a few times. He seemed to hate it and get cold because the water was only so deep and it was hard when he was a newborn because he was so floppy and slippery in the baby bath. I definately vote for taking him in the bath with you which is what we did/do with both of our sons. Besides, newborn babies don't need lots of "baths" and before you know it they start gaining more and more muscle control which helps with the floppy-ness.

SJ
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 PM

If you're concerned about slipperiness, get a water sling. I can wash my hair while dd falls asleep in it. :
Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
If you're concerned about slipperiness, get a water sling. I can wash my hair while dd falls asleep in it. :
Are you kidding? Those exist?? Wow. I learn somethin' every day on MDC...Googling water sling now.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:52 PM

I bought a baby bathtub along with many other gadgets I thought I was supposed to have when my dd was born I have never once bathed my now 6 1/2 month old ds in it! I really want to agree with the poster who said all you really need is a carseat, some simple clothes, some blankets and a sling or wrap to carry the baby in. Oh and diapers if you aren't doing EC. With my first I bought SO much stuff and it was all color coordinated for her ( ) and we used only the clothes, diapers, sling, and a carseat pretty much. Oh and a bouncy seat occasionally that was a gift. The rest is really a waste of space and money

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 10-27-2006, 10:06 PM

I have never bothered with a baby bath as my babies have always been tiny and its been far easier to wash them in the sink. You can buy supports for baby to use in the bath and these might well be worth considering.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:09 PM

i never used one until 7 months. before that hewas always in the bath w/ me. now that he can sit up we got a cheap inflatable one that goes in the tub so he can sit up and play in it. We now do about half and half, big tub vs. small tub.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 PM

My babies always go in the shower with me. I like holding them close like that when I bathe them.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 10-27-2006, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We generally take ds in the shower with us, but when it's just me and he needs a bath, I use the baby tub. I haven't been able to figure out how to swing a shower with baby all alone, mostly because I want to shower, too, and don't know what to do with the baby when I'm washing my hair, etc.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:48 PM

We have one, but DD and DS usually just shower with me. I have used when DS and DD need to have a bath at the same time, but in general they shower with me.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:50 PM

we tried ours twice. honestly it felt more dangerous trying to maneuver him from outside the bathtub. he hated it, too, which made us sad, because baby bath time is totally cute and fun. he was much happier once i figured out how much easier it would be to just get in there with him. i have a cup of baby soapy water on the side of the tub, a washcloth, and a hooded towel waiting for us when we get out ... it just feels much more 'right' that way. the baby tub water did get cold really fast, too. and it's WAY easier on the back and legs to just be in there with them.

we used to use my old baby tub as a sled when i was a bigger kid.
that's about all i remember it being good for.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cersha View Post
Are you kidding? Those exist?? Wow. I learn somethin' every day on MDC...Googling water sling now.
...and they're cheap too. Mine was $30.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 PM

Nope.
we used ours twice. we shower or bathe with him...and now he's in the tub alone sometimes.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 10-28-2006, 01:24 AM

We use the baby bath on the kitchen counter. WHen she is sitting just a tad better she will bathe with her sisters. At that point we have a thing to help her sit in the tub that both older dds just about wore out. We put the bath close enough to the spray nozzle to help with washing her hair. I think its what you are comfortable with. I am a total klutz. Taking a baby in the shower with me is a disaster waiting to happen . I can barely keep track of the soap.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
Old 10-28-2006, 01:31 AM

The only use I've ever had for baby baths is as a place to put the baby while I take a shower. My oldest liked to lay in the baby tub at the foot of the tub with water sprinkling his toes while I showered. But for bathing, I just held my babies. They were both born pretty big and able to hold up their heads, though.
I do have a water sling I've used for the pool, but have never used it in the bath.
Since my littlest hit 8-9 mos., he's bathed in the tub with my oldest. They have a blast while I sit on the toilet seat with my computer or a book!
Old 10-28-2006, 01:36 AM

Great thread! I just wiped it off my list.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 AM

Well, I found a bath-related use for one. We have a shower/tub combo. Once ds was sitting up reliably, I would put the baby tub in the big tub and fill it up. Then slide it to the end and turn the shower on. Ds could play in the little tub (getting sprayed with shower water sometimes) while I took a regular shower. Not a lot of foot room for me, but I know where he is while I'm showering and he's having fun. He just turned two and we still do that when I need to shower and no one else is home.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:50 AM

Nope. I got one at my baby shower, used it once, and that was it. So uncomfy and unweildy and hard to use. It's so much simpler to bring the baby into the tub or shower with me.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MIL bought us a baby bathtub soon after DD was born, and we used it once, with her screaming the entire time. Our post partum doula taught us that taking babe into bath with one of us, with a thin receiving blanket wrapped around her until she was comfortable would make for a better bath for all around. She now loves bath time and is old enough to play with water and bathtoys with one of us sitting behind her and the other assisting with getting in and out and the actual soap and cloth washing. Our baby bathtub? It's a planter on the balcony in its new life!!
Old 10-28-2006, 02:09 AM

I don't think it's absolutely necessary, although we did use it. Now he just showers with us.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 10-28-2006, 02:27 AM

I really wanted one, and never got one, and somehow we survived! I don't actually bathe her very much, just if she's gotten some dirt in her fingers and toes or if she's had a messy poop. I just take a bath with her. I've tried showering with her a few times but it is so unweildy as she's one of those babes that like to "test limits," that is: fling herself every which way to make sure I've got a good grip on her. Scary!!! I have to hold her with both arms while DH washes her, or he holds her while I wash her. The bath is much easier on my nerves. It's cute that she now holds on when I carry her by pinching her legs around my middle, though... maybe we'll be ready to try it again in a few weeks.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--

User Tag List