mamas of nov/dec 02 babes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 649 Old 04-17-2003, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi and welcome to the new thread!

erin's baptism dress now has the front and back pleated, and the collar sewn on but it still needs sleeves and buttons. oh well. the family arrives tomorrow...the house is of course a mess and the dress isn't finished. but darn it that granddaughter is a cutie, if i do say so myself. she's no longer rolling over. we're working on sitting up and teething still.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#2 of 649 Old 04-17-2003, 02:16 PM

I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still here. ds will be 4 months officially on Saturday. Weighs 19 ponds 2 ounces. Yes, he's a huge chubster. I will have to drag out the bigger carseat.

He's a major laugher, giggle giggle giggle laugh. Then cry. Then grunt. he's very noisy. No rolling yet, but he want s to sit up in the worst way. He has just barely started to reach for things. Hates to be on his tummy, but is finally starting to like his bath. I'm glad, because he used to scream through the whole thing.

We don't family bed, and he is moving to his own room Saturday. I'll have a bed in there anyway. At least he and dh won't egg each other on all night rolling this way and that and keeping me up.

I really enjoy reading all about your babes!!!

Amy
dd 5/11/99
ds 12/19/02
#3 of 649 Old 04-17-2003, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ava has been screaming all day. She has finally crashed on my lap. I should get up and clean like a mad woman while it lasts. I hope she isn't getting more teeth. It would be the top ones and I hate the top ones. Does any one know how tohandle the scraping when they nurse?

Well gotta go clean and crash. I am exhasted.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 649 Old 04-19-2003, 11:21 PM

my poor dad spilled my poor baby on her head today we were sitting on his motorcycle for a picture (it wasn't on or anything - don't worry!) and my 2yo wanted to sit in front of him where Isa was, so I'm holding her and my 4yo is behind my dad and he picks Isa up and (total brain fart ) he sets her down like you would a toddler and () let's her go!

she totally flopped over onto her face (of course!) but luckily her belly hit the ground first and she only hit her head a little. it was the concrete driveway!

ugh. it was totally one of the those slow motion moments, ykwim? my sis was taking the picture and was waiting for him to hand her Isa and she was like okay, he's gonna pretend to walk her to me and then when he let her go, she was like "DAD! What are you doing?!??!" I practically dropped my 2yo to run around to the other side of the bike to get her. i thought my dad was gonna cry. he just picked her up right away and took off w/her. i think he was afraid i'd get her and never give her back :

like i said, turns out she was just fine. he's more traumatized than she is. she cried. she nursed. she's all better. but my dad just couldn't get over it. it told him i've *almost* done the same thing b4. you get so used to setting your kids down w/2 toddlers and sometimes you forget who you're holding. obviously he didn't do it on purpose! poor guy. he loves his harley and he's probably never going to look at it w/out thinking about this now.

poor baby. she has only one scraped knuckle. but what a rough start to the day!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#5 of 649 Old 04-19-2003, 11:40 PM

Hi everyone, I just started posting on MDC recently. My daughter was born on Yule, 12/21/02. She is wonderful and her big brother loves her so much. It's been a real adjustment with two... tandem nursing, twice the diapers, less room in the bed, we're settling in though. DD is trying hard to roll over and loves to stand. She's a talker and a drooler too, unlike her big bro. Oh I love this age.
#6 of 649 Old 04-20-2003, 12:38 AM

Oh Leighann - Poor Isa, poor you and for heavens sake your poor dad. I know if FIL did somehting like that he would go to his grave feeling guilty and sad. grampas are just like that. Oh, I hope everyone is feeling completely better inside and out. Give everyone involved a hug for me.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 649 Old 04-20-2003, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

welcome to our thread grian!
leighann glad to hear everyone is ok. so scary.

erin's baptism went well -- she didn't cry when the pastor poured water over her head or when he held her and carried her around the church and away from mom and dad. the dress was finished by great grandma yesterday and erin made it through the whole service in it without a problem.

we had 15 people over for lunchin our tiny house. there were tables in every room but the bed room and afterall the bedroom is fully occupied by the bed + crib.

We are all laying around in sort of a sleepy state. no major family fights, lots of family time too!

#8 of 649 Old 04-20-2003, 11:40 PM

glad the baptism went well. isa did good too and she was only 2 1/2 mos old it seems so funny to dump water over a baby's head that small and not have them cry, doesn't it? she loved it. couldn't stop smiling at the priest

she's just fine. my sis came over today and said my dad had been traumatized all day yesterday from spilling her. he called this a.m. and is like, you didn't tell mike (my dh), did you? i didn't b/c dh is mr. poopy pants of the year this weekend, but so funny that my dad is worried. i feel so much worse for him. he is totally beside himself. dh would just be an ass about it, so if he doesn't ask, i don't tell. he never gets her when she cries or anything, but of course he'd be all over my dad for an honest mistake. he's a jerk, but i'll save that for the partners board. bleh.

anywho. isa just was amazed by the easter bunny today. all smiles. just a lady in a rabbit suit, but she just couldn't take her eyes off her. funny story too. the older girls were in the bathroom and the easter bunny came in to pee and my girls followed her to the stall and were peeking in b/t the cracks of the doors. i was like girls! you don't follow people in the bathroom, it's not polite. people need their privacy. maria was like 'mom, we're just peeking at the easter bunny' (oh this lady is loving life i'm sure! :LOL) so they keep looking and i say girls stop! leave the easter bunny alone and maria is like, 'come on carmen, we don't want to see the easter bunny's butt, right?' omg. poor lady in that suit, she was either laughing or pissed as hell i'm sure. so then the easter bunny comes out of her stall and we're STILL in there of course and maria points out 'mom! the easter bunny didn't wash her hands!' and i'm like great. how do i explain that it's okay for the easter bunny not to wash her hands (which of course it's not! gross. she's shaking hands w/little kids!) but she had gloves on so i'm like the easter bunny has germ-proof gloves that's all. : what a day!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#9 of 649 Old 04-20-2003, 11:53 PM

about the easter bunnny story. that is kinda gross that she didn't wash her hands. Take those gloves off while you pee for crying out loud. That can't be easy.

Ahhh, everyone is asleep, the house is reasonable clean hahaHAHA. this is just too good.

#10 of 649 Old 04-21-2003, 02:19 PM

I guess I too survived Easter Holiday! I had 12 people over started cooking at 9am and finished at 3pm! DFamily is sick, again! What a year this has been. it has been every 5 weeks I am sure. With whooping cough this winter, then the flu, now a major sinus and croup cough(except for me thank the Lord!) My poor Abram He has been so sick for his first year. DD never was sick until after her first year. Well what are you going to do? Well I guess that's about it. Have a great day you mama's!

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#11 of 649 Old 04-21-2003, 08:43 PM

I just found this thread!just wanted to say Hi! and hope everyone had a wonderful easter!
lilyka-did you write that Ava already has teeth?!! wow! Quinn is a really drooly little girl,but no teeth yet! she really wants to sit up though.
#12 of 649 Old 04-21-2003, 10:53 PM

She has two. and it looks like more are rapidly approaching. It is kinda annoying really./I really dig the toothless phase.

She is sick again. This is freaking never ending. It also means that we won't be able to tell if the allergy meds helpoed either so we will have to start over again.:

So how is everyone else doing.?

#13 of 649 Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 AM

lilyka - that sucks. nothing worse than a sick babe.

we are fine. isabel is just so with it and really scoots herself around (i wouldn't call it crawling exactly). she is love w/french (ahem, i mean freedom - SERIOUSLY!) fries (oh how i have let it go w/#3) but she s them. she cries for them when we are out and eating them. it is so sad.

gotta go!

#14 of 649 Old 04-22-2003, 01:36 AM

For shame!! :LOL Just kidding. At least you made it to $=#3 before you "really let it go"

one night I was on the phone with my friend and dd was about 18 months sitting beside me drinking my coke when my friend asked "Do you find yourself letting Lily do things you never let Madeline do?" if she only new how far I had fallen. I like to think of myself as balanced. Ok that smiley has nothing to with it but I decided to use it because nothing else fit and I can't think of anywhere else to use it. :LOL

#15 of 649 Old 04-22-2003, 12:26 PM

lilyka, is ava plump and happy?

baby ruby mei requires alot of my energy, more than i am accustomed to. when clay 2 was a baby he just sat in the sling with me for a year but of course he is more demanding than ever now. she is changing rapidly every week. she is feisty. she is not unlike my firstborn and of course i am totally in love so experience and infatuation make this easier. what a boogerhead! and yes, she is trying to get any food whatsoever which includes french fries. tho i am trying to keep the sugars away from her.
#16 of 649 Old 04-22-2003, 01:13 PM

i gave her a whole banana today to suck on/mush up. she was in heaven! then she'd drop it and and then i'd pick it up and she wave her arms up and down and coo and gobble it up some more

she slept through the night 2 nights ago. 9pm-5am. i was in heaven. up at 3am again this morning though. i switched her into her own room (sleeping in dd1's twin bed (enclosed on 3 sides, don't worry!) and that seems to help. dd1 is my only co-sleeper now. seems like carmen and isa do better on their own. ah well, one's enough to cuddle anyhow

for your babes from me (don't worry, no germs! it's a virtual kiss )

edited to add dancing banana b/c it just fit so well!

#17 of 649 Old 04-22-2003, 03:35 PM

Hi all

I've been away from the boards for awhile. We were travelling for 10 days--first time with ds who was a stellar traveller but since our return has been fussy fussy fussy and I can't figure out what's going on. He turned 4 months yesterday and rolled over for the first time. What a delight to see. He's been laughing up a storm, often times so much that he gives himself the hiccups . But the past 2 weeks I've had to constantly entertain him. He had a good nursing this a.m. but at least twice a day for the past 2 weeks he has been on and off the breast and crying about it.

Plus he doesn't nap. Does anyone else have this problem? I should correct that and say he doesn't nap unless we go out where he's in the sling or the carseat. The other day I tried to put him down for a nap and decided I would let him fuss a bit which he did then it began to turn into whimpering then crying and then I couldn't take it and gathered him up with hugs and kisses and we bundled into the car. Within 5 minutes he was fast asleep. I didn't know whether to be irritated or thankful so since I decided on thankful while I drove up and down the freeway for an hour and a half as my beautiful boy slept so peacefully. Does this mean he'll never nap at home?

I've looked into his mouth to check for teeth and I think I can see 2 pale white squares beneath the bottom gums. Are these teeth? Also he's drooling constantly and putting his fists in his mouth all the time. Plus I've been reading that by now they're supposed to be sleeping through the night and my little guy is still nursing 2-3 times during the night. Should I be encouraging less nursing? Somehow I doubt it. I figure he knows what he needs and I'm happy to be able to provide it for him.

On another note my hair is still falling alot out 4 months post-partum. Any ideas about this? Dh is out for a walk with ds so I've had the opportunity to write this long post. They'll be back soon so I'll sign off and send all you mamas good mothering vibes.
#18 of 649 Old 04-22-2003, 10:25 PM

Casina - yes very plump and seriously deleriously happpy. At least when I am making constant eye contact with her.

Macmom- thanks for adding You totally made Lily's day

#19 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 02:45 AM

sky-dancer
sounds like your ds is teething. And I was going to post about my hair loss but never got around to it. I have lots of hair and find it everywhere. Yuck. dd is 5.5 months old.
#20 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 02:56 AM

I'm new to MDC and just found this thread - Thought I'd introduce myself...

My daughter Ava (another one!) was born on November 29th - 9 1/2 pounds, 21" long. I love being her mama, and we're both very excited that Spring is finally coming to the northwest - It feels so good to walk outside without getting drenched!

She's been teething since she was 7 weeks old, but her teeth are still just below her gums - Today was a good day, though.
Not too much fussing, and only a few bites while nursing.

My hair is coming out like crazy, too. I spend a good bit of time each day unwinding strand from Ava's chubby fingers. I'm worse than our dogs when they shed.

I'm glad to have found this thread!

-Rebecca
#21 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 02:03 PM

Hi, I am new to this site and this thread! I have a wonderful 19 week old, he was born on December 6, 2002. This seems like a very supportive community with philosophies similar to mine! Ever since the birth of my son, D.W., it seems the phrase "Man plans, God laughs" has been my motto! I was planning on breastfeeding exclusively for at least a year. I had/have overactive letdown (it's like making too much milk), and so after eight weeks, we had to let that go. I think it hurt me more than my son!! Then, I was going to be a SAHM, but that went out the window when my husband got injured on the job. Then he was going to stay at home, but now we both work full-time and D.W. is in daycare full-time. I am trying to make some changes in my life, so that I can stay at home, and that is working out, but not for a few months. Plus, I am going through sleep deprivation and the adjustment of being a Mom. You know, where you realize that your life is now at the mercy of the baby, and planning doesn't make a difference. My baby hasn't slept through the night yet! He also seems to be suffering from hay fever, or allergies. I am just hoping he's not allergic to the dog. I guess you could say that I am a little overwhelmed, and although I usually talk to my Mother, she never worked full-time when I was an infant, so she's not much help right now. I really came to a head the other night. First ear infection. He's on antibiotics, and I just feel that all of my ideals/ideas/principles are going out of the window!
I would really love to hear some encouragement from you other mothers out there. I am a social worker, so I am used to giving and not getting the advice/support. I know that things are going to work out, and I am happy that my baby is healthy and thriving, but I feel that things could be so much better if I could work from home NOW, and also I am trying to buy a house!
#22 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Hello after a long absence! Grace is watching a video and Lily is sleeping, so I can actually post rather than lurk! Ive GOT to work on this "going to bed at a decent hour" thing as far as the kids go. Never mind posting on mesage boards, it is really difficult to find the opportunity for a little lovin!

Grace is doing well. She and I have been battling for most of the past few months with her sassy 3 yr old attitude, but I think I am getting better at heading things off. I can change my tone when I speak to her even if her tone is terrible... sometimes her tone changes. We talk a lot about disrespectful tone of voice, and demanding and rudeness. On the flip side, she truly is crazy about Lily. Loves her so much, tells her so all the time. Just this morning "You are my best bug in the whole world!" (Grace is LittleBug and sometimes Lily is BabyBug).

Lily is starting to do the bulldozer crawl already, which is hilarious! She has grown out of many of her 3-6 month clothes already. She is laughing more, and in the squealy scream phase. enjoying the sound of her own voice!

I am doing okay. I am trying to find ways to improve my mood, as I seem to have some post partum depression going on. I don't want to be medicated, but am looking for some vitamins/herbs and some diet recommendations. I take a prenatal as well as calcium, and sometimes alfalfa.

We have new pictures up at our website: http://community.webshots.com/user/jenihuffs

edited to add: Your hair loss is likely normal. When we are pregnant, we dont lose any hair, or so I have been led to believe. When we give birth and our bodies are returning to a more normal chemical state, we start to shed, so to speak. So dont freak out, it is normal!

Hope to post more soon!
#23 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 02:09 PM

HI All!! Abram is really teething but no teeth yet, I looked up in Emma's book yesterday she got her first tooth at 6 months, so maybe soon? I know there all differest, but poor babe is in much pain. So Abram is also seriously in love with food. Kicking moving arms you all know the drill I'm sure, so I've given in to letting him eat rice cereal and he has tried a few veggies and a few fruits. So I guess he's now an eater(just the last few days) I had to give in because he would get so wound up while we were eating, o well what are you going to do. Had a bad week I'm watching my DIL dogs and one ran away. Looks like for good it's been a week now. So that really stinks because it was on my watch. Well mamas I hope you'll have a better week then I have had the last few days.

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#24 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I live in Duluth and have to go to chicago for a business/research trip. It will be a fly down wednesday, fly back thursday. Do I leave dd? my heart says no....it will be 174 bucks for dh to fly along and hang out...but a whole lot of stress for them. we would likely stay in a hotel (paid for) but they would have to check out well before we left town...but i've not been away for more than 4 hours before....

what do you think?

#25 of 649 Old 04-23-2003, 09:27 PM

Can I join you ladies?
My daughter, Kiera, was born (at home) Dec 10th.
#26 of 649 Old 04-24-2003, 12:08 AM

ging-ging - they are TOO cute! that one of them it just makes my heart melt. i often find myself sleeping b/t my 5mo and 4yo. so sweet.

kerc-will she take EBM? if so, i say leave her. it might be more stressful dragging them out and you'll only be gone what? 36 hours? it is hard, but that kind of travel is also hard on a little one.

DW's mom- take a breath you're doing the best you can. life will be better when you're a SAHM again, but you're working toward that now. that's all that matters. just think of every day at work as one step closer to sahm/wahmhood. before you know it, the time will be here!

PiesandAbrosmama-i did the same thing w/isa. she is seriously nuts for food! she loves it so, how can i deny her?

skydancer-perfectly normal hair loss if i'm typical i cut and keep my hair short b/c i hate pulling out those gobs in the shower and sticking them to the wall, gross.

welcome rebx!

#27 of 649 Old 04-24-2003, 12:22 AM

kerk - I say take them with you. try price line for a ticket. I flew from SD to TX for $125 (about $450 less than retail) on a 2 day notice. not to shabby. I say definitely take them with you. it sould like everyone will be misreable if you don't.

I gave Ava some applesauce today. Loved it She didn't let a drop escape down her chin. I think I have created a monster already. We were desperate for a distraction today. She was up by 4 (I am a late sleeper - this was a cruel twist of fate) and she wanted to play and would except nothing less than attention. And then she hasn't slept more than 20 minutes at a time (and only 3 times at that) today and is still awake and cranky. I don't think I can hold out another minute. So we thought apple sauce might be a treat., And it was (Lily sure thought so. When I went to put the rest of the jar away it was scraped clean. Goofy kid)

Anyway, glad to see all the new moms. Welcome.

#28 of 649 Old 04-24-2003, 04:16 AM

DD doesn't sleep. Without my nipple in her mouth. She's been awake for 12 hours now. She was up every hour last night. Yes, I can nurse lying down, but I'm small-breasted so I have to arch my back to keep her from popping off. I ache from my eyebrows to my toenails from holding that position all night.

Can you tell I'm going insane? I can't even muster a smilie icon.

DH says to let her CIO. Honestly, I'm at that point as well, except for one thing. I was an awful sleeper as a child. Insomnia, nightmares, you name it. And I vividly remember being locked in my room at 8 years old to CIO. I'm just beginning to forgive my mother for it.

So what can I do? She won't take a finger, she won't take a pacifier. She didn't used to be this bad. It's just gotten worse.

She's doesn't seem unhappy, but I'm miserable. She's like, "what, no nipple in my mouth? Must not be bedtime, must be playtime!" 12 hours!! And I didn't even get a 2 hour stretch of sleep last night!

Oh, this is so karma for the hell I put my mom through...

I'm sorry for my outburst. But I'm bursting.
#29 of 649 Old 04-24-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

((greenfaeriedog))

my dd is a TERRIBLE sleeper (when she's not nursing). All my friends told me all about how much dissertation work i would get done while dd napped. HA! At least I didn't really believe them to begin with.

Things that helped:
*getting on a daily schedule (routine might be a better word)....NOT my style at all but it is working.

*going walking outside

*stroller time

*car time (with dh with bottle to get dd to sleep while I drive)

*bedtime routine REALLY helps us -- ours is:
4pm daddy time begins (I work out, work, whatever out of the house) they go for a run in the stroller or just play
6pm quiet time with dad. bottle for dd if she's hungry
630pm bath time with dad
645 mom comes home, helps get erin dressed
7pm dim lights in bedroom, one story then mom nurses to sleep

*and finally lots of help from others to keep mom entertained on the days nothing works except the boob in the mouth.

#30 of 649 Old 04-24-2003, 01:20 PM

kerc/kristin, having read that post, i strongly suggest you bring the baby. yes it will be difficult, but it will be easier than leaving and worrying and your body going haywire. of course what i mean is i would bring the baby if it were me.
i'm still regretting the two nights my boys spent at mil when new babe was born, ds2 still wakes up screaming for me all night and acts like i'm going to desert him, when he never did before. so maybe he would be doing that anyway but i feel regret at not following my instincts since it seemed inconvenient and i was unable to get others yo cooperate. of course i tend to be a hypersensitive individual.
if you do leave the baby bring a pump!

i have got to go get some teething tablets today.

greenfairiedog/meg, the breast is more than food for the babe. what you experiencing is common for natural nursing. you will have to weigh your options and find the balance, or go on what feels right for now knowing you can change it later. i can say, since i have been human pacifier for almost five years now, that it is hardest because i'm not familiar with the concept of the breast as a pacifier. and outside pressure is huge. i mean that if everyone did it then i would probably not find it a problem.

nursing is a surrendering of your body. the baby does not begin knowing the difference between sucking for food and sucking for comfort. i have observed many mothers doing both.

consider how much time you are with the baby and how long you might be doing that. basically you will be "training" the baby to be with you most the time or to be with others most the time and to cope successfully. the pros of using the boob is that when you plug it in they are quiet. this gets to be handy when they are one and are mad because a toy doesn't work the way they want it to or when you are at a wedding and things like that. otherwise you will have other ways to calm them down like going to a quiet place singing rocking distraction etc. nursing usually ends up being the most convenient though the public is a bit unfriendly and it is also the fastest. but they will need you more, all the time, than most people are comfortable with. this person may be you. the hardest part may be your partner. they will feel like you have special ammo they lack. many a time this becomes a big issue for marriages/partnerships. but in the end you have to live with yourself. they do not stay babies long though it may seem interminable. remember you can change your mind anytime for crying it out, and it will be easier if you are determined to accomplish it so the baby knows you are relaxed and happy about it. when you are gentle but firm and confident they can sense it and this will help miles in getting them to comply.

having said all that, i can tell you that my 2 does not rely on tv, but my husband insisted weaning my four to the tv at two and it was a big issue that i am finally getting over. you cope with what skills you have and learn to live gracefully with your choices.
i always end up doing things the "hard"way since it is emotionally and mentally better for me. but i do have to fight for alone time.

clay is whining so i have no idea if what i'm writing makes sense or is offensive, gotta go

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page