Washing my little baby girl's vulva? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just use my hand or a washcloth and water for her girly parts. The reason I ask is because I've noticed that she has a funky odor down there now. My first thought is the smell has nothing to do with needing to wash more thoroughly, but rather is a sign of an infection or something?? I looked closer and don't see any kind of discharge or anything. She does, however, have a pretty bad yeast rash that has been there for a few days again. I'm giving her acidophilus for that, and plenty of airing out time. She's in cloth diapers, we use cloth wipes with just water. Any ideas??

TIA for any help!
#2 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:16 AM

I've never *washed* any of dd unless it's really dirty - mud on her feet or whatever (other than hair, which is a different issue and difficult...) So I don't wash her vulva, certainly not with soap. She just sits in the bath with me and splashes about.

-Angela
#3 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I've never *washed* any of dd unless it's really dirty - mud on her feet or whatever (other than hair, which is a different issue and difficult...) So I don't wash her vulva, certainly not with soap. She just sits in the bath with me and splashes about.

-Angela
Like I said, I don't wash her down there with soap ... only water. The only thing I use the Burt's Bees on is her hair, hands and feet - which get quite dirty being a curious 10 month old.

My main question was about the odor ... it seems like it could be indicative of an infection of some sort. It wasn't there just several days ago, and the new rash seems to have come at the same time. If it's a vaginal yeast infection will acidophilus be enough to help ... or even a cream like Lotrimin AF. And should I use fleece liners or something to protect my cloth diapers if I do need to use a cream (I try to avoid putting any creams, lotions, etc. at all on DD). Would anybody like to offer help please?
#4 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 AM

It is very possible, and even likely, that the odor is caused by the yeast, especially if it has spread up into her vagina. I think you are wise to not wash her vulva with soap in general. I would talk to your healthcare provider and see if s/he thinks a systemic yeast treatment is indicated.

As a mom, if you are sure it is yeast, I would recommend grapefruit seed extract orally as well as a GSE wash for the rashy area. See this website for details. Read the whole page; while most of it refers to thrush, there is info on diaper area and vaginal yeast as well. Of course, you may want to get a definitive diagnosis before you go that route.

Good luck!
#5 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 AM

If it's a yeast rash, it's possible that is where the odor is coming from. You could try some TTO or anti-fungal cream. I think it is really hard to get rid of yeast without treatment - more than just airing out. I don't think oral acidophilus alone will do the trick as a cure either.
#6 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! I really appreciate the kind help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahb View Post
It is very possible, and even likely, that the odor is caused by the yeast, especially if it has spread up into her vagina. I think you are wise to not wash her vulva with soap in general. I would talk to your healthcare provider and see if s/he thinks a systemic yeast treatment is indicated.

As a mom, if you are sure it is yeast, I would recommend grapefruit seed extract orally as well as a GSE wash for the rashy area. See this website for details. Read the whole page; while most of it refers to thrush, there is info on diaper area and vaginal yeast as well. Of course, you may want to get a definitive diagnosis before you go that route.

Good luck!
#7 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 04:54 AM

we use lortmin or monistat on ds's yeast rashes, that may be something to try.
#8 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm surprised to see how many mommies don't use soap to wash their baby's girly parts. I always use soap to clean her everytime she poops.
#9 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 03:29 PM

I don't use soap on dd except her hair twice a week. I also use only my hand to clean her girly parts. If she has a mega poo, I use the sprayer on the sink (on low pressure) to get the poo out. I too wonder if it is the yeast making the odor.
#10 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 06:31 PM

I can't add much, except to say that it is a very quick test at the Dr. to see if it is yeast, and there are really great medicines that can clear it up in one day. I'd go that route for such a routine type of infection.
#11 of 25 Old 10-31-2006, 10:04 PM

I don't use soap either, just a warm, wet washcloth. I was the outside with soap in the bath.
#12 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 AM

I really think "less is more" when it comes to washing baby girl parts. An average poop on the potty gets cleaned with a wipe, anything that gets smushed in a diaper and gets everywhere gets soaking in the tub. Her splashing around and exploring is more than sufficient to keep her clean. Never had a problem. She does get a bit "ripe" if she hasn't had a bath in a couple of days. The vulva is supposed to have something of an odor to it, modern sensibilities notwithstanding. It doesn't mean there's an infection, just that she needs a bath.

I don't think most people would describe yeast as a "funky" smell. It's not foul. It just smells yeasty, like baked goods or beer. Bacterial infections smell nasty, but I think you'd really have to be overzealously cleaning a baby to introduce that.
#13 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietsabien View Post
I'm surprised to see how many mommies don't use soap to wash their baby's girly parts. I always use soap to clean her everytime she poops.
Soap alters the ph balance and invites microbes to get off balance, even after it's rinsed off, that's why it's good to avoid in such places with soap.
#14 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 PM

hmmm... I might need to start a new thread unless you mommas want to answer my question too... ?
My dd gets really stinky in her "girl parts" and I was them with soap every day. I was thinking it might be from being in a diaper all night (we do EC, so she never has a diaper rash and hardly ever has wet cloth touching her skin). But lately I've been using sposies at night and only changing them once (she's a heavy night pee-er) SO what I'm wondering is this.... is it normal for her to get stinky? Could it be caused by the soap I'm using on her? (California Baby) Should I stop using soap and see if it gets better? If I don't wash it for a few days, it gets VERY stinky....tia

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#15 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised to see how many mommies don't use soap to wash their baby's girly parts.
When I use soap on myself, it burns. Why would I do that to my baby? She gets the same treatment I do, water and a washcloth.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#16 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 PM

My girls get whatever soap is in the bathwater and I figure it is enough. No stinkies for them! I do use a bit of BB baby soap on their bums if it is a nasty poop, but not up front.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#17 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM

DD is 16 months and I've never once used soap on her diaper area. In the bath, she splashes around with whatever small amount of soap is in the water, and when she was little and had a nasty poop I would just rinse gently with water. I don't use soap on my private parts and I don't on hers either. Soap can cause imbalances in the natural bacteria of the vagina and cause problems.

CPST & mom

#18 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM

I don't use soap on mine because it is uncomfortable so I wouldn't use soap on hers. I think overzealous cleaning down there upsets the balance. The "cleaning system" described here sounds really overzealous to me.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#19 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
I don't use soap on mine because it is uncomfortable so I wouldn't use soap on hers. I think overzealous cleaning down there upsets the balance. The "cleaning system" described here sounds really overzealous to me.

Laura
agreed, i only wash my own with a spray of water.
#20 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM

I wash my own with shower gel, and have had no problems. I use water on my daughter most of the time, and a gentle gel on occasions if she has had one of her blockbuster, sludgy poops.
#21 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 08:34 PM

I don't know how old she is but maybe try giving her spirulina. also increase her "green foods" leafy veg etc. the chlorophyl in it will naturally cleanse her system and help rid her body of toxins. keep giving her the acidophilus maybe increase the dose and try not to give her sugar or fruit for the time being. This is what I do for my girls. good luck.
#22 of 25 Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM

I don't use soap on DD or myself. (well at least on our girly bits that is) I use cloth wipes and water for diaper changes and I use cloth TP myself 95% of the time.. I do use the Burt's bees buttermilk bath in her bath but that's it! she rarely gets rashes and has only had a yeast rash once when she had thrush as a newborn! I rarely have yeast infections myself as well (only have ever had a couple when TTC & pregnant)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#23 of 25 Old 11-02-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
When I use soap on myself, it burns. Why would I do that to my baby? She gets the same treatment I do, water and a washcloth.
Try using a soap that's milder, such as baby wash. I wash myself everyday with soap. As long as I rinse well, it shouldn't burn.

When I wash my baby's girly parts, I wash the outside only. I put her against a very gentle stream of water to rinse the rest.
#24 of 25 Old 11-02-2006, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Try using a soap that's milder, such as baby wash. I wash myself everyday with soap. As long as I rinse well, it shouldn't burn.

When I wash my baby's girly parts, I wash the outside only. I put her against a very gentle stream of water to rinse the rest.
thats not good advice, washing with soap can cause more problems than good.......it can cause UTI's, and vaginal infections. DO NOT USE SOAP on your babys genitals!
#25 of 25 Old 11-02-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Try using a soap that's milder, such as baby wash.

Last time I checked the ingredients on anything pampers makes, they wern't what I'd call mild.

Just IMO.

I wipe when she poops and it gets in there, but usually just a bath and some gentle wash in the tub gets her clean. I like this stuff
http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/an...mpoo_wash.html

because there is no crap in it and it doesn't take away from her skin with sodium laurel sulfate and all that crap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page