Blocked tear duct - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 month old has a blocked tear duct still. I was talking to a friend who used to live in Europe. She said there everybody treats a blocked tear duct by wiping the affected eye with chamomile tea and that it really works. She remembers people talking about how absurd people thought it was that in North America they don't do anything to help clear it up. I was told to massage the corner of the eye as well. So far nothing has really worked. I've only been at the chamomile tea for a week so far, but just wondering if anyone else can back up this claim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 11:53 AM

DD has two blocked ducts that cleared up on their own by a few months.

DS had one that cleared up on his own after a few weeks and one that is still plugged (he's 10 months).

Our nephew had one that didn't clear up on its own but was surgically opened (twice) sometimes around 18 months old.

I haven't heard the tea thing but I have heard breastmilk, massage, heat, baby shampoo (not IN the eye, just to clean around it), cranial sacral therapy. I think the cure depends on the problem. Is it that the duct isn't opened yet and still has a membrane of skin over it? Is it that there is a plug in the duct itself?

Heck, I've tried everything else, maybe we'll do the tea for a while.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:45 PM

My oldest son had this as a baby. It cleared up on its own by his first birthday.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM

Squirt some breastmilk in. Works wonders.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 PM

I am from the UK and I have a 3 month old baby girl with a blocked tear duct and I havent be told about chamomile tea, I've been told to leave it alone.... I guess as with everything baby related everyone seems to have differing advice!

I would be interested to learn how succesful the chamomile tea is.

sahm mama to dd1 08/08/06 and dd2 27/11/07.. dreaming of her own smallholding one day...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM

I was told to "milk" the duct, applying gentle pressure from above his eye to the side of his nose in a sweeping manner. I did this about ten times at every feeding and the duct was unplugged two days later!

Marcy, mama to Asher (8 yrs) and Kaia (6 yrs)
Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 PM

both of my kids were born with a blocked duct on one side. k's was pretty persistant. we tried massage a bit, but nothing ever seemed to work. one day, i realized her eye wasn't watering anymore. she was about 9.5 months.
m's wasn't as bad and cleared up on its own around 4 months.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:33 PM

alice's cleared up overnight around 10 months old. we did massage and hot compresses and breastmilk and none of those things worked. it just took time.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:51 PM

Our 1st son had one and it had to be surgically probed 2x's. The second time took. We did masage and compresses and breastmilk in the eye. If anything is going to strip the membrane off the bottom of the tear duct that leads into the nasal passage it will be the massage. THe compress helps keep infection from the built up fluid at bay as does the breastmilk.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:54 PM

We did the massage and breastmilk, and it cleared up in a few days.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Ds's just went away on it's own. He hasn't woken up with a crusty eye in about a week and he's 12 wks
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 PM

I noticed my DS's left eye oozing the other day. I was hoping we would not have to deal with blocked tear ducts! We are going to the doctor tomorrow just to rule out infection...I hate seeing his little eye all crusty and oozing.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:50 PM

My dr. showed me how to massage the duct, and I have to say--I was alarmed at how much pressure you have to put on the duct in order to expell the trapped puss...pretty nasty--it pops like a pimple or something. I did that massage at each feeding, then used breastmilk after cleaning it, and when he was about 3 months old it cleared up overnight.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 11-01-2006, 11:07 PM

Dd was born with one plugged tear duct, but it went away on its own. We only used a clean warm wet cloth to wipe away to goopies so that it didn't affect her vision.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM

We also did the breastmilk and massage routine and it worked out fine.

Rebecca, single mama to intact Junebug 6/01, Daughter of the King!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
My dr. showed me how to massage the duct, and I have to say--I was alarmed at how much pressure you have to put on the duct in order to expell the trapped puss...pretty nasty--it pops like a pimple or something. I did that massage at each feeding, then used breastmilk after cleaning it, and when he was about 3 months old it cleared up overnight.
which direction should you massage the duct? I have been applying pressure and massaging at each feeding and squirting milk in her eye, but we're still watering and crusting here...

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:58 AM

Nothing worked for us until we took dd on a nice long airplane ride. Until then, I found cleaning it in the morning and evening with saline solution on a cotton round worked best.

AND, trying not to pick at it all the time!! Very hard for me to keep my hands off of it - was always trying to clean her little eyelashes - annoyed her NO END.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:07 AM

You push at it angling into the corner of the eye...put pressure downward so that the duct is between the ridge of the eye socket (bone) and your finger, then rock/push back and forth. It's not a sweeping motion at all--more like a hard press. The eye will sort of move to the side and out of place (a LITTLE...it's not as freaky as it sounds). It would really expell a lot of junk about once a day--sometimes twice. It was usually yellow and gooey, and I would have a wipe or kleenex handy to try to dab it out of the corner of his eye (otherwise it would just drain back toward the tear duct). Make sure your hands are clean when you do it--you don't want to introduce anything into the eye or the emptied duct. Doing it during nursing seemed to be the best. It might be bothersome to your baby, but it shouldn't hurt.

That, combined with breastmilk, combined with regular cleaning (I would get a wipe warm in my hand, then use it to get rid of the crust after every nap/overnight) and it worked. I think I did the pressure thing for a few weeks before it went away, when he was about 3 months old.

It WILL go away. I know it's tough to deal with it, but it will.

ETA...if you do a search about this, someone else mentioned this technique in an old post. She might have described it better than I did--but she said she was surprised at the pressure it took, too.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 11-02-2006, 03:00 AM

My DS will be 10 months next week and I'm taking him to a ped-op next Thursday because both of his eyes are goopy and crusty all the time. The skin underneath stays red, moist and raw looking. I have been doing the breastmilk and massage routine with no luck. His poor little eyes look horrid and his eyes are matted shut EVERY single morning.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:04 AM

My 13-month-old has had crusty eyes since birth. The only thing that ever cleared it up was antibiotic drops from the doctor, which were hell to apply, and then the goo came back within a week of finishing the dose.

So now she's got her regular gooby eyes again. I've tried massage (although not as firmly as RedOakMomma describes, so I'll try that again, and thank you to her for her description) and warm compresses.

The only thing that gets the crusted stuff out of her lashes is getting it wet, usually during bath time. We live in a dry desert so any goo that isn't immediately wiped away crusts on big time.

I'm afraid of the surgical probing because of the general anaesthetic I've read will be involved. It's not a very rational fear since I've had major surgery and been fine, but it's my BABY, you know?

http://findinggaia.com - a novel about romance, shifting gender politics, and environmentalism

http://eat-the-evidence.com

http://kimberlychapman.com

Old 11-06-2006, 09:55 AM

Both of my baby boys had blocked tear ducts as newborns. The thing that worked best was to clean the blocked eye with a tea we got from our anthroposophic doctor. I believe their was some eyebright (herb) in it. The breast milk did not really help.

You might try researching Weleda products. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 PM

Both of my kids had blocked tear ducts in infancy and I SWEAR by homeopathy! We took my daughter to a Naturopath when she was about 10 mths. old and she told us to give her Silica 30C, 3 pellets, crushed slightly, taken in clean mouth away from food/beverage/nursing by 15 min. on either side of remedy. You only have to give it once a week. For my daughter, it cleared up in exactly 4 weeks and with my son, 3 weeks. I know it seems like a long time to wait, but for me, it was worth it because it WORKED! I also continued to massage the duct during that time and kept the area clean. Usually squirting a little breastmilk would help loosen and clean the "crusties" off, too, as well as having all the wonderful healing properties!

By the way, with the massage, you are actually trying to create a suction in the duct to pop the membrane. The actual membrane is further down inside the nose, where you can't get to. (We took our dd to a Ped. Opthamologist and he explained this to us.)

Silica is said to help your body "push things out". You can get Silica 30C at most Natural Foods stores. Good luck!

Kim
Old 11-06-2006, 04:32 PM

I want to encourage you to pursue finding a homeopathic remedy. If you don't know about homeopathy, check out Miranda Castro's book, "Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth and the First Year". She explains homeopathy clearly and simply and the book was an invaluable resource to me and may family in the first year. She also has helpful pages of advice from mother-to-mother (things to try with an inconsolable baby and what you can do when your child has a fever...).

Once you learn about homeopathy, you will discover how helpful it can be when your baby is teething, has an illness or needs support in some way.

Finding a homeopath is a good start.

Blessings.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very intersting thread. My DD was born with cysts on her tear ducts. They were removed while she was having surgery for a birth defect.

DS has a blocked tear duct on his left eye. Its always goopy, crusty, etc. It annoys the crap out of me. He's 3 mos old now. I hope it clears up soon, because it just drives me crazy. LOL But, it doesnt bother him, so I guess its not that bad.

Michelle

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 PM

dd was born with both ducts blocked and at 15 1/2 months, they are still blocked. Massage, bm, heat, cleansing to no avail - but her eyes were never infected, just goopy. The massage helps clear the plug, but the actual membrane is not all the way open, so it's an ongoing issue. We're waiting on the surgical probe, in the hopes that we'll get that 'overnight' cure!

Looks like the silica might be worth looking into for us.

ellacy
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM

Ellacy (and others)-
When we took my dd to the ped. opthamologist at 10 mths, he said that if it didn't clear up by a year, they would surgically open it. From what he said, it's a very minor procedure that takes less than 15 min. But, I was really uneasy with having to put her under with general anesthesia at such a young age. So, we visited the Naturopath to see if there were any gentler, effective remedies. She had seen great success with the silica and there are no negative side effects! So, I figured, what do we have to lose? The remedy was super easy (once a week, crush 3 pellets between two spoons and put in her mouth)... done in about 30 seconds! She said it might take 4 weeks to treat (she asked to see her again in a month to reevaluate). On the 4th week, I gave her the remedy in the morning. When she woke up from her nap, her eyes were not goopy and crusty for the first time in almost a year! I was SO happy, especially since it was a week before x-mas and we were seeing family who was so concerned about her "chronic eye infection"!.

So, please, try the silica! It's not an overnight cure (at least not for me). But, it's a totally safe and effective remedy!!!

Kim
Old 11-07-2006, 12:38 PM

both my dd's had blocked ducts in one eye......

first one, I used Similiason eye drops from my Naturopath...worked overnite thank goodness b/c they were talking surgery for her, YIKES!!

second one, cleared on her own.......

Pedi, told me about cleaning and pressure but that never worked
and it hurts
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM

is it an OTC product like these?
http://www.similasanusa.com/
if so, which one?

ellacy
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 PM

my apologies, I don't remember the exact one.....dry eye or allergy look like they might work....it's homeopathic so there would be NO harm in using them.

Yes, the OTC one as in the link above.....
Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju-cee View Post
both my dd's had blocked ducts in one eye......

first one, I used Similiason eye drops from my Naturopath...worked overnite thank goodness b/c they were talking surgery for her, YIKES!!

second one, cleared on her own.......

Pedi, told me about cleaning and pressure but that never worked
and it hurts
Well...it worked!

I used the Similasan allergy eye drops. One drop in each eye, twice a day for about 3 weeks. We noticed an improvement in just a few days. Now, we use it only occasionally, like less than once a week. No need for surgery at all! Also, dd is older, 18 months now, so her growth may have also played a part in it.

If I had to do it over, I would start the drops sooner, maybe around 6 months of age. Give her eyes a little time to work out what they can, but I wouldn't wait 15 months! When you know better, you do better, right?!

Thank you so, so, so much for sharing what worked for you!!!

User Tag List