my son has no appetitte for formula anymore - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son only wants to drink formula like twice a day is this normal??
#2 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 AM

Manda, it is difficult to answer your question without more information.

It looks like your son is 8 months, correct?

Does your son have breastmilk at all, or only formula? Is he eating solids? Does he drink any other liquids? How long has he only wanted formula twice a day?

Every child is different, but I have a foster daughter very close in age to your son. She still is having bottles at least every four hours, though on occassion she will go a particularly long stretch, say 6 hours before she wants anymore. However, she isn't guzzling her bottles. 6 ounces is the maximum she will take at one time (she will make it *very* clear when she is done), and often it is more like 3-4 ounces. She does not typically take any other liquids. She does eat a small amount of solids.

I know the general guidelines about what is "typical" for a formula-fed only child around 6-9 months is to bottlenurse 3-5 times per day, consuming 24-32 ounces per day. I think my dfd may come up a little short of 24 ounces, but she is definitely eating frequently.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

he just started this the other day like 6 days ago e eats lots of solids though to compensate fruits, yogurt, etc. he is teething however he will drink juice and yes he is 8 months and all formula fed maybe he doesnt like the taste of yhe similac here we are in a different country
#4 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM

May I ask why he isn't breastfed?
#5 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 AM

I would cut out the juice. It's essentially just sugar water, he definitely doesn't need it, and it's probably taking up valuable tummy space from formula/bm. I don't know a whole lot about formula feeding, but I from what I've heard, bm or formula should still be baby's primary source of nutrition for the first year.
#6 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 11:27 AM

Definitely cut out the juice.

joannarachel - why on earth would you ask that question? I think that's so obnoxious.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#7 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
May I ask why he isn't breastfed?
She has answered this question before. You can check her previous posts.
#8 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 12:13 PM

Another vote to cut the juice.

-Angela
#9 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a reminder, ladies:
Quote:
You are expected to avoid the following when you post:
1. Posting in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, namecalling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I already cut the juice starting today no more and im also going to cut the solids in half and see if that gives him more of an appetitte for his formula. All children are not breastfed and if you look down on me for that then. I have cut out the juice though. we will see what works. Thanks guys!
#11 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 03:40 PM

joannarachel - just curious as to how whatever her answer was would have changed your advice? I admit I thought "why ask?" when I read your first reply, but maybe I'm missing something. At 8 months, it seems like a done deal that the child will continue to be formula fed. I know relactating is possible, but not likely given what this poster has mentioned in the past. Or were you suspecting a GI issue of some kind?

OP - Totally agree on cutting the juice and reducing solids. Perhaps prepare smaller bottles and offer more frequently? Then you won't feel like you're wasting so much if he rejects it.
#12 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
joannarachel - just curious as to how whatever her answer was would have changed your advice? I admit I thought "why ask?" when I read your first reply, but maybe I'm missing something.

OP - Totally agree on cutting the .
I wanted to make sure there wasn't some other medical issue going on that would affect what he could or could not be fed. I didn't want to give advice that might hurt the babe. I probably could have phrased my question better
#13 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannarachel View Post
I wanted to make sure there wasn't some other medical issue going on that would affect what he could or could not be fed. I didn't want to give advice that might hurt the babe. I probably could have phrased my question better
That was my thought as well.
#14 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys for your advice and for backing me up
#15 of 15 Old 11-02-2006, 04:16 PM

the formula is important for iron and fat, two things that really affect brain development, so I hope he starts taking enough again soon. I bet formula fed babies can go through a formula strike the same way breastfed babies go thru a nursing strike!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page