How long to leave babe in the car? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 154 Old 11-04-2006, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinggypsy View Post
I'm with Payxe - I can't imagine living in such a suspended state of fear. I think I'd move if I feared my city in such a way. I'm also Canadian, and our doors are 9 times out of 10 unlocked, we trust our neighbours and the people we meet out and about.

The fact is horrible things can potentially happen anytime, anywhere. It can happen at home, when you're just in the next room, or even sitting right there. Or you can raise your children in a bubble and the minute they outgrow their sheltered world tradgedy can strike. I am all about lowering risks wherever I think it is reasonable, but some of this seems sadly excessive to me. Should we also refrain from highway driving and taking trips that involve air travel? Should we never let our kids go play with their friends as they grow older? Where to draw the line?

Whatever any individual mom is comfortable with, I say thats great. But lets not get all high horsey and start calling the cops on each other. It's just not necessary, or nice for that matter.

I'm Canadian too and my doors are never locked on our house or our car unless we are in it. I live in Winnipeg and in the last five years can't remember a single carjacking(sp?), and have never heard of a car being stolen around here with kids in it. Nor have I heard of a child stolen at a store or mall, or park, lost yes but never stolen. In rush hour traffic I can get from one end of the city to the other in less than an hour. I know all my neighbors within a 4 block radius and that includes the people who work in near by businesses. We may be a big city but we are a small town type of city in almost all parts. We know eachother and most of the time when I run in somewhere I have friends making faces at DD through the windows while I am gone, but still in sight.

I think saftey is becoming extreme these days. What ever happened to letting a kid be a kid? To jump out of trees and off rooves into 4 foot snow banks? To flying as high as they can on the swing to jump off and feel free? What about playing tag and dodge ball at school? Or hiding in the racks while Mom shops with out locking down the store? We replaced grass on our playgrounds with gravel and concrete, now whe move on to fake plastics and rubbers biulding indoor playgrounds outside. We took away teeter tooters and merry-go-rounds. Children won't approach strangers for help even when they need it, and I'm not just talking people on the street I'm talking about law enforcement because they think all strangers are bad. In school they are taught to report on their own fathers for bathing them and washing them. I think it is sad that scraped knees and boo boos are no longer a part of growing up, and that if you don't know someone you can trust them or give them a chance. How is anyone supposed to socialize and make friends? If you can't leave a child in the car for two seconds to watch DD or DS how do you teach them the resposibility to be independent?

Pain is a part of life, risk is a part of life. If you don't take any yourself how are you going to teach your DC how to measure risk and assess it for themselves. We are not raising children to keep forever, we are raising adults who are children/babies right now, we have to show them how to grow up, not do it for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 154 Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 PM

I was just reading this and my mother read the title over my shoulder and said thats easy! "How long to leave babe in the car?" her answer was "As long as your in there"

makes perfect sense to me too! if you get out of the car then take the baby with you.. its not THAT hard..

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
#153 of 154 Old 11-04-2006, 11:39 PM

My baby has never been alone in the car, nor was his sister as a baby. Now, he has been alone with dd long with the doors locked long enough for me to run right back into the house and right back out. I would never, ever leave them alone anywhere else than in my driveway. And even then, it's for less than 30 seconds after I've looked to make sure there is no one around.
#154 of 154 Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 PM

I never said that because you don't take the same precautions as me, that means you must hate your daughter or that you are never motivated by love. If that's not what I meant, and you know it, then it does not illustrate your point at all.

No one is saying it is hard to take the baby out of the car, just that we feel there are times when it is best for the child to remain in the car. There are also times when it's necessary such as if you have triplets and have to take them out to the car one at a time.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page