Mothering Forum banner

Those Chatty June 06 Mamas! We chatted out the July06 mamas in a week!!

31K views 1K replies 33 participants last post by  Paddington 
#1 ·
Lets start here again. Watchout, looks like the July mamas also like to gab!!

Ok, enough drill team, band dork talk......

Who else is battling a cold with the babe??

#2 ·
No cold here but wanted to say we added new pics to Marlow's website.

We met up with another couple today at their house. It's a stay at home dad, working mom, and 3 month old baby. Marlow didn't freak out at all! In fact, she loved their toys...you'd think we never let her play with toys at our house. At one point she was holding onto 3 toys at the same time!

Later we came home and we nursed to sleep (both me and Marlow) for 2 hours and then Marlow woke us both up screaming...bad dream? What a horrible way to wake up.

But Lee got back from the co-op just at that time and helped to wake her up and calm her down.

It's been a nice day and the Michigan weather is wonderful!

#3 ·
I love how you are all trying to get distance from your band confessions! Sorry, can't help there, I was a goth
:

No cold. Not looking forward to her first one. Hope everyone is well soon! I chased one off for myself the other day with raw garlic and Emergen-C, although I'm glad I looked that up because I can't take the normal quantity while nursing. I also take grapefruitseed extract and echinacea every other day. Since we got over months of thrush recently, I'm scared to stop.

Life is getting more...normal. We've been able to go out and do things like go to restaurants and shop instead of having screaming fits. She's noticing other babies too. Fun! And I love winter hats on babies. dawwwww. We should have a silly hat picture thread.

#4 ·
Alex is starting to get a cold, he woke up three times last night, and he never wakes up until like 5 or 6 am. He is all stuffy and coughing, poor babe. But I am sick too, and I am a teacher, so I am sure that it where he got it from.

My DH has really had to help out alot lately, I have been having complications from the surgery back in August. I found out about two weeks ago that I have developed a hiatial hernia, and that my stomach is not working correctly. I have been in sevre pain for the last two months. My surgen kept saying that it was just pain from the surgery and that it would last for about six months, so I went to my family practice doc, and he ran a bunch of test and found that out, he thinks that it might be malpractice, because of the way he is acting and because of all of the problems that i have had. So we will be see, I have to get my medical records, I have to go back to my family practice tuesday, and see if it has gotten better, if not I have to have a cat scan and ultrasound, so I guess that we will see.

Alex is getting so big, he goes on wed, for his late four month apt. he is scooting across the floor like crazy and talk up a storm.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
I love how you are all trying to get distance from your band confessions! Sorry, can't help there, I was a goth
:
I had some goth friends in band.

We have some friends who are foster parents, and they currently have a little boy there. He was due mid-July, was born May 20-ish, and addicted to drugs. He's not any bigger than DD who is a month younger than he is. They're cramming all kinds of solid food in him. I couldn't even watch when we were over there for supper last night. Corn, potatoes, whipped cream, a strawberry... Ugh.
: He was pushing it out as fast as they were shovelling it in and they still kept going. Of course, the other guests look at DD, who is the same size, but much more alert and advanced, and give me this look like why the heck aren't you feeding her this stuff? While I'm trying to keep her from grabbing every last thing on my plate.
:

#6 ·
No band geek here... I was a Miss Priss Choir Girl / Musical Theater type. No state champs, but I got to go to All Northwest and All State choirs. Kinda like Band Camp :) Oh, and I studied piano all through school and still play... bought myself a 6-foot grand here. japan is THE PLACE to buy pianos! Wayyyyyy cheaper, and since the military is moving us back, it's free shipping!

No teeth. She sits propped up pretty well. OK, I hear her fussin'. GTG.

#7 ·
Definite music geek here. Band/show choir/concert choir/district chorus/regional chorus/high school musicals.
And I loved every minute of it.

Sam is mostly over her cold. She's still got a tiny bit of a stuffy nose, but it's no longer effecting her sleep, which is really all that matters. She's chewing on everything in sight, and is just now starting to figure out ow to get toys in her mouth and keep them there.
She shoves her fingers in her mouth all day long, but hasn't really been interested in toys yet. She also likes to shove her fingers in MY mouth and then stares in wonder while I talk/hum/flick my tongue around. She's laughing more, smiles constantly, and getting close to sitting up. She keeps flexing her hips, which sends her falling backwards, and when she slumps over sideways she can't get herself back up. We're working on it.

So, no baby cold, but now I'm sick, and totally miserable. My throat is killing me, I'm congested, sneezing, have a headache, and have to start working on Tuesday.
NOT a good time to get sick! Really bites big time.

#10 ·
Has anyone experienced 'night terrors' yet. I think B had a night terror last night. He woke me up crying, not histerical crying but crying and fussing and not wakingup, no tears though. I had to walk or rock him or he would start to cry again, it was really scary cause he wouldnt open his eyes. I am going to look this up on google but just wondering what the other momma's have experienced.

#11 ·
No band geek here. I was one of the few "hippie chics" in school. I was pretty rebelious, skipped ALOT of classes.
: I actually started homeschooling in 10th grade though.

No colds.
Just enjoying the nice chilly weather and anticipating the snow. Elijah is starting to sit up really well. He's Mr. Grab these days too. He wants anything and everything. SO drooly too. I started putting bibs on him now so he doesn't completely soak his shirt.

#13 ·
I am too old to catch the "goth" but I doubt there were any goths on the drill team playing the flag or pom.
: Gloth started when I was in college several years ago. And even then in Art and Design school, there was not "goth" yet.

Well Maggie is doing much better today! After all those poops yesterday, she pooped out her bugs! Only one today. Of course DH said he would be in charge of poopy diapers today and she has one. Yesterday he was busy installing new windows on our house so no time for poopy diapers and dipping them.

Here in the Chicago area it is starting to get chilly. I see alot of babies with that furry thing over the carseat carrier thing. I have a snowsuit but I usually put Maggie in the sling and then my coat and she is fine. What is everyone else doing?

#15 ·
This one time at band camp!
No band here, I was all about my green hair and sometimes red/black.
: I was into the punk thing , I told ya I might be crazy
. My allergies are kicking my but. olivia was up last night every 45 min
: so far she's been asleep since 8:30, wich is good so I can watch the football game NE vs. IND. were loosing!

hope for a good night,with fingers crossed.

Those with a no dairy diet what are ya eating? I'm thinking of doing no dairy very gassy babe here, is there a non dairy for my coffee, please say there is!

#17 ·
Yeah, I was percussion in marching band (2 years of bass drum, 1st voice and 2nd voice, 1 year quads, 1 year pit) alto sax in parades and jazz band, oboe in concert band, chorus, plays, musicals, and the odd one, cheerleading
: . Dh was a "singy" chorus, barbershop quartet, musicals, etc. Same year but we met at college. I miss having time for music stuff. But my girls love watching the TOB videos and my cheer video. They already have some cheers memorized, I am a little scared when I think of how much driving around is in my future as I transport them from one activity to another.

My girls love music and I plan to start dd1 on piano when she turns 5. I always thought piano was a great musical base for any kind of musical activity.

By the way Stacy - love the rooster hair!!!!

Any ideas on where to get one of those showers for cloth diapers?

Anyway, I better go while dh is actually home AND awake, a rarity to be sure

#18 ·
I just posted on the ISO forum for my minishower. I suggest that or searching ebay maybe? There was a mama selling one a couple weeks ago. Maybe put in a search on the TP.

I LOVE my minishower. It's definitely one of the best inventions. I couldn't imagine cding w/o one!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
Those with a no dairy diet what are ya eating? I'm thinking of doing no dairy very gassy babe here, is there a non dairy for my coffee, please say there is!

Probably is, there is dairy free sour cream, so I am sure there would be dairy free cream. I put soy milk in my tea, but since someone mentioned the estrogen I have been doing research and might just skip the soy and get used to lemon in my tea...but lemon in coffe wouldn't taste so good. Hope someone gives you some good ideas, but there is a vegan/vegetarian thread or forum (can't remember) in the nutrition part of MDC

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mearaina View Post
Probably is, there is dairy free sour cream, so I am sure there would be dairy free cream. I put soy milk in my tea, but since someone mentioned the estrogen I have been doing research and might just skip the soy and get used to lemon in my tea...but lemon in coffe wouldn't taste so good. Hope someone gives you some good ideas, but there is a vegan/vegetarian thread or forum (can't remember) in the nutrition part of MDC

Thanks I forget that there's other parts of mdc ,Lemon in coffee:puke
Tea no milk ok ,My coffee has to have some type of creamy substance in it and i neeeed my coffee nobody is safe with out it!

#21 ·
Philip sure was a crazy trip today!
Today he pet the cat, and when she sniffed his nose, he smiled and cooed.
He apparently has nightmares, because sometimes he cries in his sleep, as someone else mentioned. And when he is struggling to fall asleep, he will sometimes hit his head with his fist!! I have to grab his hand to stop him.

We are pretty much over our colds here....

#22 ·
OH, and today I wore Philip in my mei tai, it's great. DH is kind of into me doing it. I think he wants me to justify the $66. Oh, and do what I say I'm going to do.
I saw a woman w/ her kid in a maya wrap at safeway today. We stopped to talk. It was cool. I felt connected.
off to bed... i am going to be SO tired tomorrow.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
That's so funny about seeing strangers with babies in wraps. I was just telling dh that it's a weird thing that you always notice each other and give each other a knowing look and an extra smile.
Right on. I don't see a whole lot of it here, but there are two or three other mamas in my BF support group that sling/mei-tei, etc. We've all kinda lumped together... I guess we figure that we are going to have more to talk about with each other than anyone else. Babywearing (like BF) is one of those stratifying acts of motherhood...

Totally random rant here: what the heck is up with bags of spinach? I'm not talking about e.coli ~ just the way I can never get it to last more than one day before the entire bag turns into SLIME. I hate it! Such a waste! Any tips? Maybe it's just the humidity here or something...

#25 ·
Don't buy bagged spinach?
After the last e.coli business, I've been just buying bunches. It does seem to hold up a little better. Or set your crisper colder maybe?

Amy, goth's been around since the late 70s/early 80s a.f.a.i.k. Although it's certainly mutated over the years. I guess I did more of the "new romantic" version. Harper's going to have the best time making fun of those pictures some day! I can't wait. "Mommy, what was wrong with your hair?" "Mommy thought she was Siouxsie Sioux, sweetie." No one knows what I'm talking about? Oh well. I am impressed with all the musical talent around here!

We use Silk soy creamer for coffee. Really good, but I do get a little freaked out too much soy exposure. Sometimes I just take it black with agave nectar for a change. Or almond milk or hazelnut milk. Mmmm. Many milks.

Ok, yelling baby.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Totally random rant here: what the heck is up with bags of spinach? I'm not talking about e.coli ~ just the way I can never get it to last more than one day before the entire bag turns into SLIME. I hate it! Such a waste! Any tips? Maybe it's just the humidity here or something...
I freeze mine usually, I have a bag in the freezer from before the ecoli scare so I am nervious to use it..eek! But you could also try transfering it to another container lined with a paper towel and cover with a paper towel to asorb moisture and keep it away from the leaves. I try to keep a large bowl of salad mix made up in the fridge...I have actually gotten my husband to ask for salad at dinner his mom thinks I have drugged him or something.

About the slinging mommas...here in alaska ther are quite a few, we are pretty crunchy as a whole. But when I was in the lower 48 I saw a few encluding one at San Antionio air port and we looked at eachother with these knowing stares it was kinda funny. I wish I could have talked to her. Here at home I try to really give encouragement to the moms who sling but who you know just arnt the 'crunchy' type I guess, I always wear mine to WalMart
and if someone stops me to ask about my slings and where I get them I now have cards to give them (because I make slings).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.