Those Chatty June 06 Mamas! We chatted out the July06 mamas in a week!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikiamber View Post
Oh and the weight issue...cripes I need to drop some poundage bad. I am 5'3 and 185#s. I should be closer to 145 to be healthier. I wish I could go work out at the gym but there is that baby who never wants to be put down and who wont take a bottle from anyone but me. I have lost 5#s thats it. I probably need to eat better and more often I try to go belly dance once a week but its hard once again with the baby.
riki - i'm 5/4 and 190# so I hear ya! I've got the 40+ to lose myself. I just keep saying if I can do 1-2#/week, I'll be there by mikey's 1y bday. that'll work for me...now, it's getting there that is the problem. you like to dance? he wants to be held all the time? again, i hear ya! - dance with bastion. i'm trying to do that - 10-20 min/day, nothing fancy, no workout tape, just dancing with mikey to whatever is on the radio - he loves it. and if you could wrap your boy, you could do walking (or dancing too). with my dd1, all i did was walk daily (nothing huge, just like 3/4 mile) and i lost 75# in a year (actually closer to 50# since i had toxemia and a lot was water weight i lost w/in the first week of having her). ...and i'm talking to myself here more than you...i just need to get back on the walking or dancing wagon and it's hard to fit in when i'm working and then when i get home wanting to spend every free moment helping out with housework and lovin' up my kids. but the dancing thing, i gotta do that b/c all my kids love it and it's fun and a good way to at least get the heart pumping

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#422 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Oprah- she makes me sooo ill now and its a shame since its filmed here and all but she has got to go away... So one by one she picked off these mainstreamed mamas and told them what their kid was saying to them.
I used to think Oprah was decent, but now I think she's way overdone and mainstreamy and materialistic.
I only looked at the website. Gee, must be too much trouble for a parent to figure out what their own kid wants. Must have some crazy lady tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Let's hear the cheer: 'B's get degrees! 'B's get degrees!

So, I was thinking about something Helen (yeah you!) said a few pages ago. I'm too lazy to find it. Oh, wait, it was on your blog. Anyway, you said that you find many things more emotional now that you have a kid. I feel the same way. I was talking to a colleague at work the other day who was saying her baby (4 mo) wakes up every 3 hours at night to eat and it's driving her crazy (since she works 3 days a week). He's bf, and she pumps at work. She's considering putting a little cereal in his bottle or something at night. I suggested cosleeping, but her DH is afraid of squashing the baby. I said, well, put him on your side. she said he'd fall off. I am thinking of sending her a picture of a sidecar arrangement.
My point-- this made me sad. Before Philip I would have been like, whatever. now, I care. And I find I can't think about what people do to their kids because it overwhelms me.
Perhaps I should see the good instead of the bad. Anyway.

we sidecarred our crib. I was sad. But last night Philip slept five hours straight in it. He doesn't do that in our bed! So now I'm really sad. At least i think he slept that long. I don't remember feeding him, and I didn't wake up with my boob hanging out.
Now the cats have a place to sleep again too!

Ok, off to work.

Oh, and weight. I need to lose 20 lbs. I don't wanna only because I like food and have very little self control.
#423 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
riki - i'm 5/4 and 190# so I hear ya! I've got the 40+ to lose myself.....i just need to get back on the walking or dancing wagon and it's hard to fit in when i'm working and then when i get home wanting to spend every free moment helping out with housework and lovin' up my kids. but the dancing thing, i gotta do that b/c all my kids love it and it's fun and a good way to at least get the heart pumping

hmmmm... are you me and i just don't know it???? that there be me to a T.....well, except i have a eliptical machine i like to use....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#424 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Selesai;6531597]
Quote:
I used to think Oprah was decent, but now I think she's way overdone and mainstreamy and materialistic.
I only looked at the website. Gee, must be too much trouble for a parent to figure out what their own kid wants. Must have some crazy lady tell you.
yeah, i don't get the oprah thing. from what you all posted (didn't watch) i could have gotten whatever money oprah paid for this crazy lady... it is not too often that i don't know exactly what my ds is trying to say. and who can't tell the difference between the "i'm hungry", "i'm in pain", "hold me", "i'm sleepy" cries who actually spends a few minutes with their kid? sheesh.

Quote:
So, I was thinking about something Helen (yeah you!) said a few pages ago. I'm too lazy to find it. Oh, wait, it was on your blog. Anyway, you said that you find many things more emotional now that you have a kid. ...My point-- this made me sad. Before Philip I would have been like, whatever. now, I care. And I find I can't think about what people do to their kids because it overwhelms me.
Perhaps I should see the good instead of the bad.
i do this all the time as well.... my "friend" who when we talk about circ says "chop chop baby" infuriates me so much that i have many long stretches of avoiding her... i know part of it is that she doesn't have children yet, and part of it is that she WON'T even consider looking into it a little bit more, finding out about it. and don't even get me started on the "i'm going to teach my child not to hit by beating him" idea....

Quote:
Anyway
we sidecarred our crib. I was sad. But last night Philip slept five hours straight in it. He doesn't do that in our bed! So now I'm really sad. At least i think he slept that long. I don't remember feeding him, and I didn't wake up with my boob hanging out.
Now the cats have a place to sleep again too!
so sorry mama.... i was sad when ds1 left us at 3 1/2 yrs. can't imagine little jonah taking off as well... but man, we all sleep so much better now...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#425 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Those of you who live in the negitive degree climents, does your state have laws reguarding heat and the winter time. Alaska is kinda set apart in that. You cannot pass a moterest in the winter on the side of the road its attempted murder, stealing a car in the winter is attempeted murder, and all rental housing has to have heat cause its just cruel when the temp drops to -40.

Sarah I am so excited for you and your new home, you'll be there before xmas how awsome. We want to buy a house so bad, but dh has lousy credit and some student loans to pay off that are really holding us back. He put us on a budget that is pretty much penny for penny, but I get $200 bucks a month to spend on myself...er well I pay misc bills and had to get some bigger dipes and I will have to start to buy fabric to make some wraps to sell so I really dont get it to myself in that way that I want a damn pedicure and perm.

Speaking of perm, any long haired mommas here? I am having a hard time making my hair look accpetable in the morning...dreads are way out DH would take ds and leave me if I did that I am thinking of a perm like a loose sprial. DH loves Debra Messingers (sp?) will and grace her hair. But thats about 30 mins of work from a stylist, not what I need. Any suggestions?

As for weight loss...I do walk 3 xs a week if I can with a friend. We have in indoor ice areana and there is a track around that that is marked for distance ex: 7 laps =1 mile. We try for 2 miles every time we go. DS just chills in the mai tie and watches the hockey pratice.
#426 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikiamber View Post
Speaking of perm, any long haired mommas here? I am having a hard time making my hair look accpetable in the morning...dreads are way out DH would take ds and leave me if I did that I am thinking of a perm like a loose sprial. DH loves Debra Messingers (sp?) will and grace her hair. But thats about 30 mins of work from a stylist, not what I need. Any suggestions?
hmm... can't help ya... dh was very supportive of me getting my sisterlocks... but they don't actually look like "dreads". as i am the one usually taking pics, i don't allow very man of myself but here's a couple....

http://img292.imageshack.us/slidesho...520700oss.smil

#427 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 PM

paddington, your links don't work!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#428 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:00 PM

:
cmon, help me in my work-avoidance here!

so i have been thinking how cool it would be if we could all get together in real life when our babies turn 1. I know it likely won't happen, but it would be really neat.
#429 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM

Top o' the mornin'! I think I got some okay sleep last night. But of course, I still can't live without my

Oprah - sounds weird. I did read some posts in my tribe about how they were glad some mainstreamy people may try to be more in tune with their babies after the show.

Jessica - yes, I actually just thought I was getting soft in my old age, but maybe it is because of having babies. It all started after I had Tania... It used to be that I cried maybe once every few years. After Tania, I started crying during commercials. Now I can get myself worked up if I see a look of sadness in someone's eyes. And is it just me, or does anyone else get weepy when they read Korin's signature quote and think of how loved little Ruby is. Oh gosh, here I go again.

Weight - I don't own a scale, and it's the best! Except I need to figure out a way to weight Lula cause it's driving me nuts. Anyway, I gained 60 with Tania and lost it in 6 months by just walking everywhere. I was a size 3 before that, but I was a teenager, and at 5'6", I don't know...I don't want to be there again. Before Talula, I was about a size 8, which I'm really comfortable with. I gained 50 pounds this pregnancy, and before I left Hawaii, I'd lost maybe 30-35...? I fit into some of my more forgiving clothing, like stretchy jeans. But I'm still wearing a few of the low-rise prego pants. Oh, and there's my jiggly stomach. I could do without that and just agree to keep the badonka-donk butt. It would be a fair trade, but to have both is just cruel. Well, at least there's my amazing rack.
#430 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
And I find I can't think about what people do to their kids because it overwhelms me.
Yeah...when I think of things like CIO, I literally want to barf. People not picking up their hysterical child in the store. I'm having a rough time with a friend who speaks sharply to her 15-month-old. I've had to say "We don't use that tone with children." Parenting has made me more aware of the Golden Rule than ever...would I want X done to me? If the answer is no, I can't do it to my baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Fix those links, I wanna see your hair! Heck, I want to see everyone's hair. Mine is a really short bob right now. Which reminds me, I need to go get a cut next week or I'll be a wooly beast by T-giving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
so i have been thinking how cool it would be if we could all get together in real life when our babies turn 1. I know it likely won't happen, but it would be really neat.
That would be fun. Maybe we can do an east coast, midwest, and west coast meet and set up a web cam to yap at each other all at once. I could make it to Boston, NY, or Baltimore/DC easily enough.

Sleep - we're definitely coming out of the developmental phase. She slept from 11-5:45. Ahhhh. I checked my diary, and her sleep disruptions do follow the developmental spurts in the Wonder Weeks exactly. So weird. The older they get, the longer the periods of disruption can last, so I dread, say, the 37 week one! This one was a good 2-3 weeks. One weird thing - she is up every night at 10:45 no matter what. We thought we were disturbing her, so we've tried out bedtime at all different times, but no change. It's like a little alarm goes off. She just needs a few minutes on dad's shoulder to go right out again.

Weight: I'm 8 pounds below my pp weight. None of my clothes fit. I hate that. Ill-fitting clothes, either too tight or too loose, never do anyone any favors. But I don't have money for a whole new wardrobe right now, and I don't know if this is my final size. Women in my family can get positively skeletal with nursing, it's weird. I guess I get a lot more exercise, and my diet is basically all whole foods due to the allergy restrictions she has. I find myself eating whole avocados and things like that to get the fat in.
#431 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
paddington, your links don't work!

did that fix it??? not sure what is going on here... if it didn't i'll try something else....

#432 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
did that fix it??? not sure what is going on here... if it didn't i'll try something else....
I still get "Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photos2521/4/13/10/43/32/9/932431013405_0_ALB.jpg on this server."

Maybe you see them because you are logged in to your account? There must be a way to set them to public?
#433 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
I still get "Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photos2521/4/13/10/43/32/9/932431013405_0_ALB.jpg on this server."

Maybe you see them because you are logged in to your account? There must be a way to set them to public?
try the slideshow thingie then....

http://img292.imageshack.us/slidesho...520700oss.smil

#434 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
I still get "Forbidden

yeah, but that way worked before.... i actually just move them to my favorites and then it creates the link... but maybe i did something funky at kodakgallery when i uploaded the pics last time... sheesh, i really need to get some work done.... i'm sure i'll be back in like 30 minutes though....

#435 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:33 PM

It worked for me.
#436 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:37 PM

Oh, and it looks really nice! :
#437 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Yay, the slideshow worked! Looks great!
#438 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Oprah- So this weirdo (I mean weirdo lady) sat next to oprah on the sofa and thankfully didnt jump up and down like the last time I watched- a guest did that whom I used to like in his top gun days......anyhow to make a long story longer....

this weirdo lady said she had a photographic memory (huh?) and she remembered sounds she heard and what they meant. So one by one she picked off these mainstreamed mamas and told them what their kid was saying to them. Keep in mind all the babies were 4 mos and under. None were nursed and none were ap'd. So the next day they all came in with these perfect babies except one that I thought for sure the mom would shake to death but wow shes sooooo great and of course Oprah loves it for what her dogs?? so now we should all go out and buy the dvd!!! :
I watched this yesterday, and I am totally mystified by your reaction, Amy.

I thought what the woman had to say was utterly fascinating. Far from being a "weirdo" she was a child prodigy who has a gift of aural (or audial) photographic memory who can hear things in a child's cry that most regular folks cannot. She later discovered the universality of these cries, and has made a video to describe it. I didn't think she was "out for money" or anything like that. It sounded to me like a genuine breakthrough in understanding childhood development, and as she said, if it helps even one mother from "snapping" and shaking their baby because they don't know what the baby wants, then it has served a good purpose.

P.S. I have to add that I have never had anyone to teach me how to be a good mother, or what a baby needs, and I have hardly ever found it to be "instinctual." I believe mothering is a learned behavior. Isn't that why we're all here on MDC - to learn something? So, like the things on MDC, if I can take something good from it - great - and I leave the rest. I thought there was much good in what she said, and I would certainly never claim any accuracy in "understanding" what my babes' cries have meant.
#439 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:52 PM

link didn't work for me.

i had some locks after i had dd i started the journey but completely chopped my hair off about 10 months later. i actually kick myself for doing it. it would've been over 3 years now..they would be looking so nice. since my hair locked up naturally very easy..thick hair. ::sigh:: i kinda feel like that
s the way my hair is supposed to be. but.... i had short short boy hair for awhile and now my hair is about down to my shoulder blades, maybe longer? i plan on growing it out and just a trim here and there. maybe one day it'll lock again. :
#440 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 01:56 PM

1. pad - you look hot. beautiful hair!
2.didn't watch oprah.
3.everything makes me cry. EVERYTHING. i am a sap and a half. glad my sig gives you a : candice
4. id positively love a meet up. altho candice and i get to meet up once a week!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#441 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 PM

forgot to add:

my brother and g/f find out today if they're having a girl or boy! i'm soooo excited! i'll find out around 3:30-4:00. for the record - i think it's another girl. they have a dd (my neice ) Emily, who turned 2 late July.
#442 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7 View Post
link didn't work for me.

i had some locks after i had dd i started the journey but completely chopped my hair off about 10 months later. i actually kick myself for doing it. it would've been over 3 years now..they would be looking so nice. since my hair locked up naturally very easy..thick hair. ::sigh:: i kinda feel like that
s the way my hair is supposed to be. but.... i had short short boy hair for awhile and now my hair is about down to my shoulder blades, maybe longer? i plan on growing it out and just a trim here and there. maybe one day it'll lock again. :
eco-neither link worked for you???

my locks are 2 1/2 years and um, yeah, i actually have hair that doesn't like to lock in the front (back actually does pretty good) because i have a very long curl pattern... so we work at it... but i agree eco, i feel as if it is totally where i am supposed to be with my hair and really love it~i was never content until i did this, like my hair was searching for an identity... someday i wanna have them as long as joanne cornwell (founder of sisterlocks...) *sigh* BUT my hair is currently recovering from pregnancy:

chiromama- thanks!

#443 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM

works for me now great hair indeed
#444 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 03:55 PM

Elijah's jump up

He was only in this for about 10 minutes, if that. I thought I liked these but I think they're poorly made now. But he really did have fun though! I doubt we'll really use it.

And an up close
#445 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Lisa, those pix are cute! How much do you think Elijah weighs now? I think Philip is at least 18 lbs.

Paddington, great hair, and cute kid too
#446 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 04:48 PM

Those are cute pics! At what age can you put them into a jumper? I remeber Alex loved his. I think Gabriel won't be ready for a bit longer.
#447 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 05:08 PM

Elijah I think it at least 20lbs. We don't do wbv and I don't have the right scale to really weigh him acurately but going by the scale we do have, he's around 20lbs. He's quite "husky", as my grandmother describes.

And btw - who else thinks it's pretty awesome that a man won the bfing symbol contest?!
#448 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7 View Post
And btw - who else thinks it's pretty awesome that a man won the bfing symbol contest?!
Me!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#449 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM

I'll be in the Portland area after Christmas, and I'm game for a meet up if anyone's interested.

I gained about 45lbs when I was pregnant, and it was all gone by a month ago. I'm currently hovering about 7lbs less than pre-pregnancy weight, and I want to lose 25 more. I'm 5'5" and 180 currently in a size 12. I think that somewhere around 155 will suit my frame really well without making me look too skinny. I love my curves.

We got dumped on yesterday. Must've got about 5" of snow at least. My car is buried up to its axles. DH is digging it out for me. He even shovelled me a path to feed my horse. What a great guy.

How weird is it that Katie won't play with her feet if she's got pants on? Shoes or not doesn't make a bit of difference, but she will not pick up her feet if she's wearing pants. What a little nutter.

I'm making cards today if Katie will stay asleep. I'm hoping to get my Christmas cards finished, and I've got a couple sets of others almost done for trading with some friends. I love how they've turned out. I'll post pics later.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#450 of 1282 Old 11-14-2006, 05:55 PM

sorry, had to share a funny from a work friend:

I've been wondering why I feel so tired. I've been blaming it on lack of sleep,not enough sunshine, too much pressure from my job, earwax build-up, poor blood or anything else I could think of. But now I found out the real reason:

I'm tired because I'm overworked.

Here's why:

The population of this country is 273 million. 140 million are retired.

That leaves 133 million to do the work.

There are 85 million in school.

Which leaves 48 million to do the work.

Of this there are 29 million employed by the federal government.

Leaving 19 million to do the work.

2.8 million are in the armed forces preoccupied with killing Osama
Bin-Laden.

Which leaves 16.2 million to do the work.

Take from that total the 14.8 million people who work for state and city
governments.

And that leaves 1.4 million to do the work.

At any given time there are 188,000 people in hospitals.
Leaving 1,212,000 to do the work.

Now, there are 1,211,998 people in prisons.

That leaves just two people to do the work.

You and me.

And there you are, sitting on your ass, at your computer, reading jokes.

Nice. Real nice.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page