Those Chatty June 06 Mamas! We chatted out the July06 mamas in a week!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's from Steel Magnolias, one of the all time best Southern movies ever made.

It was all I could do to keep my mother from making an armadillo shaped red velvet groom's cake with gray icing for our wedding.

I didn't even realize it had been updated...cool!!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

happy heinys- how are they?? Do tell...

I am making "garbage" pizza tonight. We make home made pizza almost always with exception to bad bad heat waves. I had a bunch of different cheeses and a pear and an apple. I added chopped up grilled chicken breast and used Cardini ceasar instead of pizza sauce. I will let you know how it is. I also made a sausage and salami pizza w pizza sauce. DD1 is making her pizza right now. Or at least she is rolling out the dough and has been for a while. But it gives me time online to catch up w our chatty mamas. I didnt think we would really beat out the july mamas!!

I love letting dd1 Liz cook. Or at least work in the kitchen. She loves making pizza and I have a picture of her at age 2 doing it.

MAggie is dying to join her sister in play/work. Yesterday she was so entranced by the zillion leaves in the yard. She watch Liz walk in them or "crunch" them. Then she did a nose dive from my hold and tried to get in them!! So I lowered her to the ground and she attacked them- touching, trying to bite etc. She is sooo into her senses now.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#243 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 PM

Philip is like Maggie in that he wants to do more than his body will let him right now. He's making crawling-like movements when on his tummy (DH calls it the journey to nowhere!) and manages to get about an inch farther along, but that's it. You can tell he's just dying to get into stuff.
I'm still having trouble figuring out how to get him to go to sleep and stay to sleep at night (i.e. between like 7:30 or 8:30 and whenever I want to go to bed). Maybe that just won't happen?

Sarah, I love steel magnolias too!

As for the july mamas, note that theirs is a nov thread. we had a different thread for the first week of nov if I recall, wasn't it like 150 posts?

anyway, i agree, helen, those pictures rock.

amy, i think it's important to get kids involved in cooking. Then they know what they're eating, where it came from, oh, and it's less work for you! (ostensibly)

ok, baby calls. (i am saying to him: go to sleep already!! i know you're tired!!)
#244 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Sigh. Steel Magnolias. Does it GET better than that? The ultimate chick flick of all time. The play is great -- it's only the main female characters and the whole thing takes place inside the beauty shop. My Dad used to put that play on with his drama class almost every year b/c he always had wayyy more female students than male. And, feminist papa that he is, he loved to give those girls strong female characters to play :-)

Lisa -- thanks :-)

And re: kids cooking... rock on. Plus, then they can be, ohhhhh, independent someday! And for boys, they will make AMAZING husbands :-)

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#245 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 PM

sehbub - It was the line that Shelby says to her mother when explaining why she wants to have a baby with her husband Jackson, when she suffers from severe diabetes, knowing it could kill her to have the baby. I played the role of Shelby onstage back in the day in college. Did you know it was a play by Robert Harling before they made it into the film with Julia Roberts and Sally Field?
#246 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:25 PM

ah yes!!! steel magnolias! i loooooooooove that movie. i did the funeral scene as a monologue in hs. ...."i can run to texas and back, but my daughter can't" i need to buy the dvd. good movie when you need to weep... and its oh so true... i'd much rather have 30 seconds of wonderful rather than a lifetime of nothing special. hmmmm i smell a blog post coming!(can you smell a blog??)

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#247 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 PM

oh and happy heineys are just like fuzzibuns but with velcro.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#248 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

DH and I both love to cook. We have a 99% scratch kitchen. So Liz has always joined in. I even make Maggie's baby food. I;m sure in another year or so, Maggie will join in too. She sits at the table and reaches for food and loves to eat too!

Being a scratch kitchen and really never eating out much (except for things we cant or dont cook) cuts down on meals expenses and allows me the chance to stay home w the girls.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#249 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Ok, thats awesome, now who had a mama who can cut a deal....

#250 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
It's from Steel Magnolias, one of the all time best Southern movies ever made.

It was all I could do to keep my mother from making an armadillo shaped red velvet groom's cake with gray icing for our wedding.

I didn't even realize it had been updated...cool!!

Darn right!!! That is one of my most fav movies. I start crying when she leaves work and stutters as she puts her coat on talking about Jacksons halloween costume and I ball all the way thru the rest of the movie. Our wedding reception looked alot like hers in the movie. We had it at my inlaws (they're house sits on 50 acres) and we had a big white tent w/ a dance floor. It was awesome!!! Mississippi is the Magnolia state by the way
#251 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I'm interested. But scared. I though BGs would be like FBs too. Have you tried the HH yet?
#252 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 PM

LMK on the happy heinies hookup (why must they call themselves heiny's instead of heinies? English takes a beating!) I was thinking of ordering a few of those, a few Swaddlebees, and a JamTots AIO. That minkee fabric or whatever it is called looks super soft. I'm really sick of doing laundry every day.

Nicole - it would have been fun to see you! She's doing the rest of the classes on a drop-in basis but requires purchase of the materials kit. There's class next week, then off for t-giving, then 3 more weeks. I think.

Thanks for the photo compliments. The secret is to get a portrait lens, then it blurs out the crappy stuff in the background. Like...um..most of my house.
#253 of 1282 Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 PM

i tried a HH once - but it was still too big. pm me for the hookup.
i have one med, if you wanna try it on talula when you come over for playgroup :

#254 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
DD has a rash on her chest. It keeps coming and going, so I'm sure its something I'm eating, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. It started as a patch of dry looking skin on her one shoulder a week ago. The teeny little bumps have been coming and going for 5 days, I think. I hate elimination diets. But here we go.
sounds like eczema - my dd2 got it and so does mikey from time to time, not horrible and it actually seems to flare up more when he gets upset than anything else (like something i'm eating) - this may have already been answered. i'm only on page 5 so my apologies if this is just reiteration...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#255 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
ah yes!!! steel magnolias! i loooooooooove that movie. i did the funeral scene as a monologue in hs. ...."i can run to texas and back, but my daughter can't" i need to buy the dvd. good movie when you need to weep... and its oh so true... i'd much rather have 30 seconds of wonderful rather than a lifetime of nothing special. hmmmm i smell a blog post coming!(can you smell a blog??)
ditto - went to state competition with that monologue...it's a doozy!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#256 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
I need to see pictures of this pouch! from jeans realy sounds neat. I don't have any pouches, but im short 5'3" I had a new native and I sold it. It hung below my waist.
i took a luckybaby pouch i had and kind of modeled it on that. here's a pic

they were stretch jeans so the pouch is stretchy, but not too much and i did the fleece so it's no-stretch the same way the jeans are stretch (does that make any sense? b/c fleece only stretches one way. so i made sure the fleece and my denim didn't both stretch the same way so it wouldn't sag too much. it was kind of a whim project, but like i said - i really like it!

and sarah - you're just as 'original' as i am sounds like we did the same thing at the same time - great minds think alike, right? on the $ situation. i hope it resolves itself soon so you can concentrate on cooking that little man...

Paddington aw shucks, thanks mama.

Helen - are you doing the swaddlebees AIO? have you tried them already? i have just one but i don't like it. i love my swaddlebees fitteds, but the AIO i am not a fan of...just 2 cents fwiw.

and on mamas using the FBS - you may want to consider skipping a med and going to the PT - the only real difference is the rise is longer on the PTs which is what most people want...at least eventually.

i need to do something soon too. mikey has total plumber crack on the kissaluvs1 but i don't know if i can afford anything...i've got large hand-me-down dipes in the basement, but i think they are still too big...

#257 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
(why must they call themselves heiny's instead of heinies? English takes a beating!)
Heh heh heh. I completely get where you're coming from. Or, in HH speak, "where your coming from" perhaps?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#258 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 01:21 AM

Oh... if any of you go by the handle donosmommy04 on yahoo, could you PM me and let me know? I'm getting the little request to be on their messenger list, but I don't know who it is...blank profile, yada yada.

#259 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 02:31 AM

I have a happy hempy I guess the same as happy heiny but hemp? It's the nighttime dipe and I don't like it AT ALL. I also bought the hemp insert w/ the extra little insert too and it leaks every time. I don't even use it at night. When I bought it the mama said it was one of her favorite ones but I seriously can't imagine how it could be considering it leaks right through. : I'm a GG's fan myself and I really like my (or his, rather) UB KL's.

Steel Magnolias - Love that movie.
#260 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 AM

We've been having fun with CD experimenting over here for the last day or two. I got a big box stuffed with all kinds of diapering accoutrament (sp?) and have no friggin clue what half of it is. I'm a CD rookie, and have been using mostly prefolds and covers for Sam, so it's been interesting. It's fun to try new things.

Oh, and can I just say, I LOVE wool. : There was one wool cover in the box, and here I was thinking "it's fabric, it'll get soaked just like any other fabric" and it DOESN'T. It's like a miracle or something.

Korin - I can totally smell a blog.

Yes, I did know that Steel Magnolias was a play before becoming a movie. And I adore that movie. It's most definitely in my top 5, along with Princess Bride, The Labyrinth, Pulp Fiction, and anything Johnny Depp because I heart him. I just looked at my DVD shelf and realized I don't have SM! : How the heck is that possible? And along the lines of PB, it's all I can do to NOT call B "farm boy" when I ask him to do something for me.

My sister has already made it very clear that we will likely never hear her call Jackson anything other than his full name. It's just not possible after growing up with that movie. And when Clarice shoves Ouizer in front of Maelynn so that she can punch her...priceless! I crack up every time.

Alright, enough movie talk.

V went to spend the night with my parents last night, because my mom was here watching Sam all day, and just took Vic back to PA with her. Syd was awesome about it. All she wanted to do was watch a movie and eat pizza while sitting on the living room floor and wearing her pajamas. So that's what we did. Pretty awesome reaction for a 4 year old. This morning B is taking Syd and Sam up to my parent's house so that he can work around my parent's yard and make a little extra money. I gots to go to work from 8-4:30. Hopefully it's a little busy today so that time goes quickly. I'm gonna miss my kiddos!

Have a great day, everybody!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#261 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
Helen - are you doing the swaddlebees AIO? have you tried them already? i have just one but i don't like it. i love my swaddlebees fitteds, but the AIO i am not a fan of...just 2 cents fwiw.
Didn't buy any yet, good to know...what didn't you like?

Megan: Isn't that Heather, "you're" evil twin?

Lisa: I'm blanking, what are GGs?

Gonna go see my friend who is having a lousy pregnancy. She just risked out of her birth center and is bummed. She's basically stoped making blood and is super anemic. She's had two transfusions (!) and is perpetually exhausted and nauseated. The body does some weird stuff sometimes.
#262 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Someone want to start tomorrow's chat or should we keep this going??

I want to try the hhs Do they fit like the FBs?? I have plenty of meds and about 9-10 larges for later. I got rid of everything else from my experimental days. I do have some bumkins aios in leopard, dr suess and some girly patterns.

#263 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Helen - GG's = Growing Greens hemp one size dipes.

Amy - I have a couple bumkins aio too. They're really the only aio I like out of the ones I have. I have mediums but they're getting pretty snug on Elijah.

Has anyone tried the ME Rikki Wrap? That's one cover I've been thinking about.

Sarah - I love my wool soaker too.
#264 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I use the bumkins as my "you cloth diaper??" diaper. When someone says something stupid, I change MAggie and put one of those on her and people are like- Oh thats soooo cute, I thought you had like rags and pins or something. I always say- These are not your Grandmother's cloth diapers!!
But my In laws hate the FBs. They dont mind the aios but they want me to have a few pins and cloth rags on hand to make them feel at home!
They are also 75 and cded 9 kids as well as EBF them too. I mil estimates she spent 10 years total of her life breastfeeding.
Also, FIL thinks Maggies supplement formula is a pain in the a$$ and he is not shy about it. "I dont know why she just cant breastfeed and thats it." was his reply. I guess I should be happy that my ils are total bfeeding advocates.

#265 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 PM

gone for one day and ya'll did like 4 pages... sheesh.

waiting til j tells me he is ready for solids to start. might be within the month or so. not sure. yesterday he grabbed his brothers spoon and got himself a bite of apple sauce. opps....

trying to get the baby albums together FINALLY and working on my class work. i'll try to check in to read so i don't fall behind but, you know me about the weekends...

baby calling...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#266 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 02:03 PM

I got all excited about prefolds and wraps and didn't have room to try anything else for a bit. Now she's starting to outgrow those and we're looking at moving up to the next size so I'm branching out a bit. Trying a few different types this time. We've got 6 fuzzibuns that I got in a lot (eek those used dipes again. ) and I just ordered a couple of angel wraps AIOs. We'll see. And, someday when I get the rest of my projects done, maybe I'll try making some diapers.

What are you ladies hoping for for Christmas?
I'm hoping I've dropped enough hints about the boots that Crocs sells. I would love to be able to wear Crocs in the winter, but with 8" of snow, I'm not up for holey shoes. Besides that, I have a couple movies I want, and some card making supplies.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#267 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM

Man, I have a lot of PMs this morning.....

#268 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 03:18 PM

:
#269 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 03:18 PM

are practicing whistling again Candice?

#270 of 1282 Old 11-11-2006, 03:29 PM

I think we have another tooth coming through. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page