Too Early For Baby Food? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a new mother and new to this whole mothering thing. I am looking for some great advice on a particular subject....Baby Food.

My dh were at Wal Mart today grocery shopping and he suggested we get some baby food for our 2 month old. We got Pears and Bananas. I am acutally kind of nervous about giving him baby food with him only being 2 months old.

What is everyones opinion on this? PLEASE HELP!
#2 of 20 Old 11-11-2006, 11:36 PM

I think that most moms here will tell you that a baby does not need anything other than breastmilk until AT LEAST 6 months old. The latest research suggests a myriad of health problems associated with starting "solid" food before 6 months.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 20 Old 11-11-2006, 11:38 PM

2 months?! Wow. Ya, way too young. I wouldn't start any solids until AT LEAST 6 months.
#4 of 20 Old 11-11-2006, 11:39 PM

Hi Holly. I think 2 months is too young to worry about starting food. Babies are just fine on just breast milk for the first six months of life. This is the recommendation of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Some babies might start a little earlier and some later. My first dd really wasn't interested in any food until she was about 8 months. Dd2 was ready closer to six months. Your baby will let you know. At 2 months, your baby still has a strong gag reflex and will probably spit anything back out. Relax and continue to nurse your baby--there is no better food. There will be plenty of time for food later!!

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#5 of 20 Old 11-11-2006, 11:41 PM

NO WAY I'd give baby food to a 2 month old, that is not at all appropriate for them! BM is MORE than enough for the first several months. (The 1st yr. even) And I would also recommend SKIPPING the jars, let him self feed small peices when he demonstrates he is ready. It's better to let them regulate their intake rather than shoveling it in & possibly overfeeding. Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 20 Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I was just wanting some opinions!
#7 of 20 Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 AM

With my first baby, I started at around six months and just mushed up things like banana, steamed carrot, potato, avocado etc. Started with one thing at a time and added new items slowly. It's nice to do it yourself because then you know it's totally pure and really, it's easy (and I'm a lazy mama ) because they eat so very little at first.
Also, if you feel like you want to buy some things now for when baby's ready, I really liked Earth's Best brand organic baby food.

With my second I waited until he was closer to 8 months because breastfeeding was so much easier and I absolutely HATE doing dishes .

The thing I know is that starting any food too early increases the chance that baby will develope an alergy to it because their little systems are too immature to process it regularly and their body learns to fight against it.
You'd probably notice with a two month old, that the food would simply be pushed right out of his mouth anyway.
#8 of 20 Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 AM

THe advice given here is very good. I'm curious as to why dh wanted to start getting baby food so soon. I'd imagine that baby is not rooting or grabbing at your food looking like he wants to eat too. That's usually the sign I use for when to start on baby food (dd was 8 months, ds was 5 1/2 months and other ds was 6 months) and then I start with mashed bananas and yogurt as those are very easy to digest and contain all the enzymes for baby to digest it and I continue to nurse on demand (they still need breastmilk even when they start eating some solid foods).
#9 of 20 Old 11-12-2006, 12:25 AM

Yes, 2 months is way too early. We wait until 6 months, and even then it's a taste here and there. We never do jarred baby food. Just mushed up portions of fresh food.

Here is a link that provides some good reasons to wait on solids.

Also, a book I find helpful is Super Baby Food. The whole regimen the author outlines is a bit daunting and a lot of work, but the info in the book regarding which fruits/vegs are safe to feed at what age and general nutrition info is all great! I reference the book several times during the first stages of feeding.
#10 of 20 Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 AM

At two months, she probably won't swallow it well. Also, remember that fruits don't have the fat and protein that her brain needs, but will fill up a tummy. So, don't replace breastmilk with food yet. Honestly, I did it at 5months, but I think with the next one it'll be 8 or 9 months. My thought is that if they can't pick it up themselves, they aren't ment to eat it. Purees were just experiments with face painting! When ds could pick up solids like cheerios and crackers, that was EATING.
#11 of 20 Old 11-12-2006, 12:41 AM

Solids before six months increase the risk of allergies and also bowel problems like IBS, Crohn's disease etc. Really best avoided until baby can sit completely unaided and pick up their own food.
#12 of 20 Old 11-19-2006, 12:52 AM

Stick with your insticts! You are the Mama and you know your baby best. Most DR. will tell you no earlier then 4-6months, (closer to 6 months). I didn't "really" start solids until my son was 5.5 months. I started earlier but ended up stopping because he just wasn't ready!!
#13 of 20 Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 AM

Definately too young! Enjoy the no solids phase while it lasts

Also, you could think of giving finger foods to start instead of jarred. Organic is best, IMO.
#14 of 20 Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 AM

dont give baby food until your baby is at least 6 months AND has a good pincher grasp. there are more resourceful mamas on here that will explain the problems w/ giving solids so young, but in a nutshell...it can really mess up their poor little stomachs. it can also interfere with bf'ing.
#15 of 20 Old 11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
ltk

Also, for your consideration...you are still establishing your milk supply! So nurse, nurse, nurse. your baby will basically start begging for your food, and then you can see that they are ready. My boy was 4 months old, but BEGGING, sitting up, etc. He is a little CHOW HOUND and still nurses a ton too.
#16 of 20 Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 PM

Eeek. No way! Save the jars for later. They usually have a long time until their expiration date. When he's around 6 months old you can reevaluate whether or not he's ready for solids (ie. pincer grasp, sitting unassisted, lost the tongue-thrust reflex, has teeth, etc.).

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#17 of 20 Old 11-20-2006, 11:37 PM

just wanted to add that even if you are formula feeding it's still beneficial to wait until 6 months to prevent allergies. solid food is really tough on baby's stomachs, the longer you can wait the better. besides it just makes their poops worse and makes life more complicated & stressful. some parents do start so young and it only messes up the balance of good and bad bacteria in the gut, which can cause baby to get sick.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#18 of 20 Old 11-20-2006, 11:48 PM

WAY too early. No solids until all of the below:

at LEAST 6 months
sits unassisted
no tongue thrust
grabs food with pincher grasp
moves food to mouth easily.

THEN when baby is ready- they should not be spoon fed jarred food, but should be allowed to self-feed soft chunks.

-Angela
#19 of 20 Old 11-20-2006, 11:49 PM

yeah, much too early. There is a reason babies spit food out untill a certain age
#20 of 20 Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 AM

Gahh...no way! At the very least 6 months definitely.
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...nes.html#choke

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page