how much solid food?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-16-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
kpb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so ds is newly nine months old.....we've been doing small solid meals since 6/6 1/2 mo.....but as he's getting bigger, stronger, and more mobile...should I be giving him more food, too? He has boob whenever he wants it/I offer....on top of that he has:
egg yolk or ice cube of fruit for breakfast
banana for lunch with the occassional bit of cheese
an ice cube of meat with a veg or fruit, and sometimes some well-soaked brown rice ala weston a price......should I give bigger meals?
TIA
K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Depends. I would allow him to self-feed all solids. I would make sure he always nurses before solids. I would make sure he has no other milks or sucking.

Then follow his lead.

-Angela
#3 of 11 Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
kpb

hmmm he's not the biggest self-feeder....I mean, he'll put food to his mouth with hand/spoon, but we don't do finger foods and when he does the spoon to mouth thing, more often than not he's into the texture more than the actual getting-it-into-mouth concept......did I/am I doing something wrong?
#4 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 01:00 AM

I don't think you're doing anything wrong - some people on this board think allowing them to self feed is the way to go, because then the babies only eat what they are ready for, when they are ready.

My DS refuses a spoon anyway, so I just give him some chunks of whatever on his tray, or give him a chunk of banana or cooked carrot to hold onto. He eats very little solids, but I figure he will eat more as he gets older, and he's still nursing every 2-3 hours all day, and more often than that at night.

Maybe if you feel you should offer more, try some finger foods - if he wants them, he will eat them! If he just plays with it then that's okay too.

winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#5 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 03:04 AM

he eats ALOT more food than my 10 month old. i think you shoudl give him as much food as he wants. when he is finished eating, is it because he's out of food or b/c the eating time if over? if he eats everything, then offer a bit more. i personally dont think babies are going to eat too much. i dont believe in monitoring their intact at this point, esp. for healthy foods.

you are the mama..trust your instincts. sounds like he's getting mostly finger foods anyway, so he knows whether he's eating enough of not.

sounds like you are doing great!
#6 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 03:08 AM

Well, you're feeding your ds way more food then I am (same age), so I hope at least what you're doing is enough!
I sometimes go days without feeding my ds anything except breastmilk.
I wouldn't worry about it too much....I'm sure that it will eventually get to the point where they want to eat SO bad and you'll HAVE to feed them.

Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#7 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpb View Post
hmmm he's not the biggest self-feeder....I mean, he'll put food to his mouth with hand/spoon, but we don't do finger foods and when he does the spoon to mouth thing, more often than not he's into the texture more than the actual getting-it-into-mouth concept......did I/am I doing something wrong?
If he's not into getting it into his mouth, then he doesn't NEED to get it into his mouth.

What do you mean you don't do fingerfoods?

-Angela
#8 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 AM

i just reread the OP's post..sounds like there is a combination of finger foods (eggs, fruit, cheese) and purees.

regardless, just follow your baby and mama instincts! he will let you know if he wants more!
#9 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 09:48 AM

If he wants more food, give him more food. There's no set of rules for a child this age, LOL...my nearly 8 month old eats way...WAY...more than that...but I have had other kids who ate far less...it's individual. If he isn't properly manuvering it into his mouth but seems to really want it I would help a little - but if he really is just playing, let him just play. At this age solids are definatly NOT a "must." Good luck!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#10 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
kpb

thank you!
I know it's individual...almost all the way with babes up until the age of two...if not beyond that!
He's nursing quite often still , too, so that def makes up the largest part of calories....and in terms of "finger foods'....we usually do foods on a spoon, though it's not really pureed anymore....we do the banana, but that's usually me feeding it to him as he's romping around....so we don't sit in the chair and have deliberate pincer grasp time, but he does have it! I think it's an interest thing, a time thing, a what else is going on thing....I don't know.....babble!
but thank you for your help everyone....it all makes sense, I just had to "see" it on "paper"
besos
k
#11 of 11 Old 11-17-2006, 12:55 PM

You shouldn't chase him around to feed him. If he wants to sit down and play with food and eat- great. If he doesn't - great. He doesn't need the solids for nutrition.

-Angela

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page