Healthier alternatives to rice cereal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started my 6-month old on solids, and so far he loves them. Right now he's getting rice cereal and carrots, and we're adding a new food every 7 days. The instructions from my ped recommend two meals a day of cereal (rice, barley, or oatmeal), but I'd actually like to phase out the baby cereals if possible. They're so processed, and I'd rather he get a taste for real foods like veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Is there a whole grain alternative that's safe for babies?

I don't want to overwhelm his digestive system, but I feel weird giving him this artificial food from a box when he's been getting nothing but nice breastmilk before this.

Hope this is the right forum for this...I didn't see anything in the Nutrition area that looked quite right.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 12:17 PM

I started my 6mos ds on solids recently and went with fruit (apple or pear sauce) and mashed veggies (butternut and sweetpotato [think they are called yams in the US]). I wanted to start him on organic food as I figure it is enough for their little bodies to adjust to eating solids without all the additives and muck, I could not get organic baby cereals here. So far he is doing pretty well on these. Just one word of warning beware bananas they tend to constipate, I found that out the hard way.

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
#3 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Basically anything BUT rice cereal Mashed banana and avocado are great foods for babies and they're packed with vitamins and beneficial nutrients that their bodies can actually absorb. Toss the cereal and get some fresh stuff. If you'd like, get a little food processor if you don't have one and you can make your own baby food ( although ideally baby should self-feed chunks ). We have a little Cuisinart processor and I LOVE it!
#4 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 12:47 PM

Just skip the cereals. Nutritionally they're pretty empty. Stick with fruits and veggies. Actually, I don't believe in feeding babies purees either. It's better to give them soft chunks they can self feed. And if they don't/won't self feed, then they're not ready for solids yet.

-Angela
#5 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 PM

another vote for skipping the cereal...also, if you dc really likes cereal you can make your own without all the additives http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
#6 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, all! that wholesomefoods site looks great...I've been wanting to make my own foods for DS but wasn't sure how to start. I especially love the idea of making my own whole grain cereals. I think grains are an important part of one's diet, but man, that baby rice cereal is like eating wonderbread.

So here's a spin-off question....how do you handle your alternative feeding choices when talking to your pediatrician? I love my ped, and I actually switched to her because my old ped's ideas about BFing were totally out of date- she's a lactation consultant and knows her stuff when it comes to BFing. And unlike the old ped who wanted me to start solids at 4 months, she recommends that exclusively BFed babies wait til 6 months. However, she does seem to push the cereals, as do most pediatricians I think. What do you tell yours? I mean, I know it's my baby and the choice is ultimately mine. I'm just curious how it goes when you tell your pediatrician you're, say, waiting until 8 months to give solids, or skipping the cereals and just giving some veggies and fruits. Do you get a lot of friction from them about it?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#7 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM

We don't go to a ped. so we don't have that problem.

I think grains are important also, but there is evidence that babies can't digest them until around a year.

-Angela
#8 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 03:21 PM

We also avoided cereal as a starting food. Fruits and vegggies here.

If you do want to do a cereal you can make your own using millet and quinoa. You can toast them in the oven and grind them up and mix with bm. They should be ground just before use a they begin to lose their nutritional value 24 hours or so after grinding. Quinoa is an amazing grain and is high in protein and contains iron also.
#9 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 03:39 PM

This is sort of a rider question on the OP, what about the iron? I switched ds to self-feeding from purees and cerals at 7-8 mo, and he doesn't eat anything! Mashes it around, sure, but won't put anything in his mouth. If we skip the fortified cereals, is there any actual risk to a bf baby?
#10 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 03:44 PM

We waited on grains until dd was almost 13 mos. She ate lots of organic fruits and veggies and beans up until that point (and still does). She started self feeding around 10 mos. After age 1 her diet expanded to include grains, some dairy, and meat.

I did not discuss this with the ped. I haven't met a ped yet who knows much about nutrition. Our current (but not for much longer) one suggested putting Carnation Instant breakfast in DDs milk to get her some extra calories. NO WAY! (Besides she only drinks mamamilk).

Check out the Weston A Price website for great info on feeding yourself and your family.
#11 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 03:50 PM

IMO the iron threat was created by formula and baby food companies. What would people have done before iron fortified cereal? Were all infants anemic? Of course not.

-Angela
#12 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
IMO the iron threat was created by formula and baby food companies. What would people have done before iron fortified cereal? Were all infants anemic? Of course not.

-Angela
I've been thinking the same thing. My ped wanted me to give my DS Trivisol with Iron since he was EBF- supposedly he wouldn't get enough vitamin D and iron through my milk. But Dr. Sears and La Leche League say there's plenty of iron in breastmilk...so confusing. I stopped the vitamins after a few weeks- he HATED them, and after some research I decided they weren't necessary. It's a bit nerve-wracking though, going against medical advice.

Anyway, I plan to ask my LLL leaders about the iron thing at the next meeting...I'll report back what they say.

#13 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielady View Post
So here's a spin-off question....how do you handle your alternative feeding choices when talking to your pediatrician? I love my ped, and I actually switched to her because my old ped's ideas about BFing were totally out of date- she's a lactation consultant and knows her stuff when it comes to BFing. And unlike the old ped who wanted me to start solids at 4 months, she recommends that exclusively BFed babies wait til 6 months. However, she does seem to push the cereals, as do most pediatricians I think. What do you tell yours? I mean, I know it's my baby and the choice is ultimately mine. I'm just curious how it goes when you tell your pediatrician you're, say, waiting until 8 months to give solids, or skipping the cereals and just giving some veggies and fruits. Do you get a lot of friction from them about it?
Smile & nod, smile & nod, then do what you know is right.
Seriously, I like my pediatrician a lot for medical care, but when it comes to parenting advice we are not on the same wavelength. So, sometimes I chose to tell her what we are doing (and she has always been respectful of our choices), but other times I just don't feel like dealing w/it. You've got to find what is comfortable for you - do your research, go w/your instincts, and roll w/it.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#14 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Starting your children on rice cereal has nothing to do with how healthy rice cereal is. Children are started on rice cereal because rice is a food that has a very small rate of people being allergic to it. The other food is lamb, but who want there kid to start with meat, lol.
#15 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 04:14 PM

we skipped the cereals all together. and we went to the ped, and he was fine with this.

We did mashed banana with breast milk, not a big hit. Then mashed avocado. Avocado was my sons favorite for a long time.
#16 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
Starting your children on rice cereal has nothing to do with how healthy rice cereal is. Children are started on rice cereal because rice is a food that has a very small rate of people being allergic to it. The other food is lamb, but who want there kid to start with meat, lol.
Actually...there's some suggestion that foods like meat, egg yolks, liver could be an ideal complementary foods for a breastfed baby, b/c breastfed babies don't really need extra carbohydrate, but protein and iron are good. Also, iron from meat (heme iron) is much more bioavailable than the iron supplements included in cereal (elemental/carbonyl iron usually). FWIW my daughter loved to chomp on the meaty bones of lamb chops from ~8-9 months .
#17 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 06:25 PM

Mine doesn't ask. He just went over "the order" and when we see him I'll tell him what we are eating. By then they will be 9 months and have about 2 solid months playing with food. So I can say they eat squash, pears, sweet potato, turkey, etc.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#18 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
It's interesting that rice is what is recommended as the first food for babes. It's ture that there is a low # of people allergic to it but if you look at the allergen scale - http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample1.html
there are several grains that are less allergenic than rice - millet, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, and a few more. There are also several delicious furits and veggies that are lower on the scale for allergies.
#19 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
It's a bit nerve-wracking though, going against medical advice.
Hi Katielady -- I don't have anything smart to add to the cereal debate, but what you said struck me. You're not really going against medical advice, you're going against nutrition advice from a medical authority (so, not your ped's area of expertise). If you do the research and discover that your own sources are more convincing, then you should be reassured that your instincts are correct. And, at any rate, you're the boss of what goes on in your household, not your ped. I agree with the "smile and nod" approach. I know it's hard; I'm a terible liar. But the more I hang around MDC, the more I realize that's what we have to do to if we want to do right by our kids.
#20 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 PM

Soft mushy meat is also a really good first food. Lamb and turkey are especially good (turkey thigh meat) being quite high in fat and non-allergenic. If you braise it for a long time (like for a stew) you can mush it with a fork or a babyfood grinder. That takes care of the iron, too. That's the only reason peds push cereal, but the iron in cereal is an additive, unnatural, and not absorbed well. Iron in meat is much more bioavailable.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#21 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 09:28 PM

I actually aruge with my pedi, she probably hates me I have told her things about breastfeeding, and with cereal I explained to her the LLL say's it's not needed for breastfed babies, I even printed a journal article on digestive enzymes and breastfeeding mothers and brought it to her once. I don't always agree with her but she is a nice person and a mom too so I have given up on finding a doctor educated on things like this and decided I will work on educating the one I have.
#22 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I tend to do the smile and nod thing...although I do mention that my children "still" breastfeed if it comes up, because I want to help normalize it. We used to have a crunchy doctor who didn't blink at extended nursing or late solids or cosleeping...but we had a health problem and found that he was a great doctor as long as there's nothing wrong with you. Now we have a much more mainstream doctor whose parenting advice we don't take, but whom we trust with our medical issues...which isn't that what doctors are really for?

My mom is a pediatrician/internist, and she confirms that there is virtually no training either in medical school or in residency about breastfeeding or nutrition. So there's no real "medical advice" on feeding healthy babies from most doctors...just the opinion of someone who happens to be a doctor.
#23 of 27 Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking the same thing. My ped wanted me to give my DS Trivisol with Iron since he was EBF- supposedly he wouldn't get enough vitamin D and iron through my milk. But Dr. Sears and La Leche League say there's plenty of iron in breastmilk...so confusing. I stopped the vitamins after a few weeks- he HATED them, and after some research I decided they weren't necessary. It's a bit nerve-wracking though, going against medical advice.
Well, if it makes you feel better, my ped said absolutely NO processed food for baby (so no cereals--she suggested fresh and preferably organic avocado, banana, sweet potato, pumpkin, and squash as first foods) and that grains aren't good for young infants. And she doesn't suggest vitamins for bf babies, either. So, you can take MY ped's "medical advice" instead.
#24 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemommy View Post
Hi Katielady -- I don't have anything smart to add to the cereal debate, but what you said struck me. You're not really going against medical advice, you're going against nutrition advice from a medical authority (so, not your ped's area of expertise). If you do the research and discover that your own sources are more convincing, then you should be reassured that your instincts are correct. And, at any rate, you're the boss of what goes on in your household, not your ped. I agree with the "smile and nod" approach. I know it's hard; I'm a terible liar. But the more I hang around MDC, the more I realize that's what we have to do to if we want to do right by our kids.
That's a great point. I don't get nutritional advice from *my* doctor...and as someone with PCOS caused by insulin resistance, I'm definitely skeptical of what mainstream doctors have to say about nutrition. (The standard high-carb low-fat diet is very bad for me, and for most people IMO.) So why should I look to my pediatrician for nutritional guidance for my son?

OK, so I'm cutting out the rice cereal as of today. We'll just add in more fruits and veggies as we go. And at some point I may make my own whole grain cereal and give him some of that. I'm going to hold off on the meat for a little while until he's older...his tummy's already a bit wonky from getting used to eating foods, so I'd like to let it settle before adding meats.

Thanks all. This has been really helpful. It's tough because most people just blindly accept whatever their pediatrician tells them. Most of the women in my playgroup started their babies on cereals at 4 months...one at just under 3 months. And then there's my mother-in-law, who keeps telling me "he looks hungry," and is dying to stuff as many solids as she can down his lil gullet. Oh and when he reaches for someone's water glass, she says "he's thirsty, you should give him some water!" He reaches for my eyeglasses all the time too...according to her logic, he must have trouble seeing! Hello, newsflash, babies his age reach for everything.

Not that I'm prone to peer pressure, but I'm sort of out on my own here with little frame of reference. It's great to have this board so that I can get advice from more like-minded moms.

#25 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM

We have a well baby check today (which we have to attend b/c of two health problems that we have to monitor), and I am already getting geared up for an argument about food. They said they want to check her iron levels and I am not sure I want them to do so. I am somewhat conflicted on that, b/c I have heard some troubles if a babe gets anemic. However, wouldn't they have symptoms if anemic? My baby sure isn't pale or lethargic!

Anyway, I recently had a discussion with an LC who gives horrible BF advice, as well as bad nutrition advice, and she was pushing cereals. I simply sid "they don't feed their babies like that in other countries. I don't eat bad carbs myself, and the links of poor nutrition stemming from processed carb intake to things liie obesity, ADHD, allergies, and diabetes are too strong to be ignored." I feed my baby beans for iron (and she sopmetimes eats them..).

She actually said she had read stuff about that, and gave my decision respect instead of nagging at me to do it the "normal" way.
#26 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I haven't read all the posts, so someone else may have already said this, but we switched when ours gave us the same advice about frequency of meals. That information is simply out of date and that tells me they are not keeping up with current information. And, he sorta hassled me and told me what he expected to see when we came back in a month and a half (three solids meals a day at 9 months .
#27 of 27 Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 PM

We see a naturopathic dr, and her recommendation for my ds (who is 6 months old) is to start solids anywhere between 6-9 months based on signs of readiness. She actually gave me a food introduction chart, and she starts with veggies and fruits (1 at a time), and NO grains until over 12 months old. She told me that the human body lacks the digestive enzymes to digest grains until that age, so basically babies aren't getting anything from the grains because they can't digest the nutrition out of them. But you're so right about the boxed cereals!! They've processed all the goodness out! Once my son is ready, when he's over a year old, anything grain-based will be made fresh by me. But he'll be starting with what other posters have mentioned: sweet potato, avocados, bananas, pears, etc ... In fact, my dr says that organic sweet potato is her favorite choice for a first food, so we'll go with that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page