Cologne/Perfume - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is perfume bad for babies?

The other day my husband picked up my son and he started to cry and did for about 30 min, like a pain cry. He is so calm usually and NEVER cried like that before, he hardly cries even if he wants to eat. I felt so bad and couldnt figure out what was wrong and then I thought maybe it was because my husband had just put on cologne. Could that be why?
#2 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM

Maybe something on your husband's shirt was poking him? But I see no reason why a baby can't be scent-sensitive. I have been since I was a kid. Perfume or cologne gives me an instant headache. Some babies will refuse to nurse if their mothers wear certain scents or even change shampoo or deodorant.
#3 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM

Some perfumes bother me tremendously (can't breath, head ache, etc) so it's possible that it irritated your baby.

I learned a good tip about putting that kind of stuff on - put it on behind your knees. That way it doesn't come into contact with the baby like it would if it were on the neck, wrists, or behind the ears. Behind the knees is a pulse point, so the fragrance will gently waft up to scent level without being over powering. This is where I spray my body spray, and I've never had a problem with it bothering DD.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#4 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM

It could very well be that your son was crying because your husband's cologne is toxic. Check out http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

You'll be amazed what you find!
#5 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some babies are very sensitive to scents. I've actually helped mamas who have had major nursing strikes on their hands, only to discover that it was their change to a scented perfume/lotion/you name it that was behind the baby not nursing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 PM

When DD was one month old, my mother came to visit. Every time my mom held DD, a mild rash appeared over DD's face and chest. We figured out that it was mom's perfume that caused it. She stopped wearing her perfume and the rest of her visit was rash-free for DD.

When my mom came back to visit again, DD was almost 6 months old and apparently no longer reacted allergically to perfume.

On a slightly different note, I couldn't wear my underarm deodorant for the first 6 weeks of DD's life because she would refuse to nurse if I had any on.

My dd was born : in May 2006 and my ds was born : in February 2008. : :
: We're on an extended tandem nursing adventure! :
#7 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 09:29 PM

i hate most perfumes/coolognes. they make me sick instantly. my boyfriend wore cologne our second date and i commented on it, he tried wearing it after two years when he was out of town and it made him sick too.
#8 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Omg looking at that was so depressing, it seems like everything is bad or toxic. Thanks for it though, Im looking up like everything I have in the house now!

BTW it says that Lansinoh is Classified as toxic!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page