Hittin' the half year mark with the July Mamas - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=elsanne;6787000]mastitis claimed me in the night like no one else has QUOTE]

quick, someone who can use paypal - make this her ddddc!!

:

thanks everyone, I have decided to come down on the side of laughing but dd's : shows no sign of abating, I gave her a paracetamol suppository and it's still really high. She's coughing, throwing up, not always wanting to feed which makes me worry about dehydration...

-guhs to cori and to all in this same cursed boat. Thank god my own : is better now, I'm just wandering like a drunken sailor...
glad the engorgement feels better juice!

Thanks, Kim, for Emma's story. What can I say?
#782 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 02:48 PM

So much to catch up on ... we've been entertaining the ILs and doing Christmas with them b/c next week DH, DS, and I all have to drive 10 hours to visit my family (I really hope DS is up for the trip!).

Pavlina, what a beautiful hair cut for a beautiful mama!

I really liked all the babe pics that have been posted. I need to get some uploaded of DS (I've been really slack on that).

Kim, Emma's photos are beautiful. She has your big, beautiful eyes.

JJuice, I thought your pink username was linked to your juciness! Glad the mystery has been clarified.

April, so great to have you back in our midst. As for the non-AP family, that's so hard to deal with. One thing that I've heard that can help (I have no experience myself, so this is just heresay) is to say that Lochlan is your baby, so you get to decide how to raise him. My ILs are so very ready to feed Seth "real food," they don't understand about allergies (which are quite bad in my family) and the need to delay solids. to you.

What do all of you do with large and loud toys given to you from well-meaning family members and friends? DS escaped most of that during all his showers (people stuck with our registries very well), but now that there is no registry to follow, friends and family are left to their own wills to pick out things that I would NEVER buy. DH and I are minimalists and have no idea where to put all of it. I'm trying to lead by example by only giving books and wooden toys (and even then, very few!).

Question for everyone: Why did you choose your username?

Mine is a combo of where I went to college and my maiden name. For all of you who thought I was passionate about cooking, I'm sorry, but that is incorrect! Although I do enjoy baking! Mmmmm brownie batter!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#783 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post
What do all of you do with large and loud toys given to you from well-meaning family members and friends?
Regift, freecycle, return it to the store, save it for a garage sale, any number of things. It just depends on what it is and what I need to do with it. If it's such an offensive loud toy I would never regift it, but try to exchange it for something more appropriate or freecycle it. I'm lucky because my family usually asks me what they want. But every now and then grandma sends something like
This is a toy I cannot make "disappear" and I HATE this toy.

Quote:
First name, last initial. Not very imaginative, but I'm a practical kind of gal. It used to have my last name, and was the first part of our old email address. We have always tried to consistently use that part of our email addy for logins on the internet. When I started posting more frequently, I thought that having my last name with all my kids in my siggy wasn't very wise, so I changed it.
#784 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
We lived in England two years ago and lived in Witney, Oxford - so I chose Witt when we came back to New Zealand as a shorter version of Witney. Didn't want to use Witney in case someone thought of Witney Houston

Quote:
I sent a couple of Christmas cards out but ladies, I'm going to have to bail on sending them out to all. I did the non-US gals first as that required a trip to the post office.
aw shucks I didn't even think it was worth me putting in with this cos I'm so far away ..... now I wish I had!

Sorry to hear you are all coming down with winter colds etc. My wee babe was my first winter baby and she has had 4 (count them) colds in her 5 months thanks to her big brothers........... so I'm looking forward to the next few months free from winter's nasties

Busy here too...... the joy of my day is I made this tofu turkey as a trial run for Christmas and it was REALLY good! Vegetarian food is a bit limited here and we don't get the vegetarian fake turkeys so I made my own

Is anyone else here vegetarian? Don't think I've ever asked.... my kids are life vegetarians (never eaten meat) and my six year old is (well nearly six) very outspoken about it. I remember once we were in the local organics shop and there was a shop worker moving the vegetables.... she held a snail out to him and said "do you like snails" he got all freaked out and said "I'm vegetarian" He thought she was offering him the snail to EAT
#785 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 PM

Sandrine comes from sil's portugese grandfather. That's how he called me instead of my name. Very nice man.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#786 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM

Tanya, I so wish I could regift or sell the items we recently got, but my ILs are over quite often and would notice. I swear, they take note of everything they have ever given and keep count of how often it gets used. Maybe if they notice that I push DS to play with the non battery opperated toys, they will get the hint. But in the meantime, my house is being overrun by large toys. I have a PG friend, maybe she can "borrow" them indefinitely!

Witt, not veggie here. I have tried it several times (for several months once), but I NEED meat (I get dizzy spells without it and non-animal protein sources don't seem to help). What were your reasons to go sans meat? One thing I've read is that people with type O blood need more meat than those with type A or B. It definitely holds true for both DH and me (we're both type O), but I don't know if it is something others have noticed. BTW, I love the reason why you didn't use the full name of Whitney! I bet others would have thought your name was Whitney.

Sandrine, for the longest time, I thought your name was Sandrine!

#787 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM

I would probably answer to it too.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#788 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Witt, not veggie here. I have tried it several times (for several months once), but I NEED meat (I get dizzy spells without it and non-animal protein sources don't seem to help). What were your reasons to go sans meat? One thing I've read is that people with type O blood need more meat than those with type A or B. It definitely holds true for both DH and me (we're both type O), but I don't know if it is something others have noticed. BTW, I love the reason why you didn't use the full name of Whitney! I bet others would have thought your name was Whitney.

Sandrine, for the longest time, I thought your name was Sandrine!
i am type O as well and i can live on meat only but not pork.

my user name expresses who i am - yin yang are exact opposites. it's like black & white...so true for me there's no grey in there. I am an extremist, that's for sure, in every possible way.
#789 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:49 PM

I just popped back in to say this...

: <--- that's a drumroll

I am officially the proud mama of a thumbsucker. She hasn't been able to decide whether she prefers her two fingers like dd1 or her thumb until the last couple of days where she's preferred her thumb. And twice she's fallen asleep sucking it.

Laura, I suppose he's still young for this, but as he grows you can say things like "It scared him", "It broke", or "He has so many toys that I rotate them out to keep him busy" (and if you just can't get rid of them entirely, this is an excellent thing to do to minimize the toy clutter and he'll be excited about "new" toys when you present a box that was put away a few months). You could even explain that babies lose interest quickly and flit from one thing to the next that he got bored with it so we donated it to charity so another child could love it as much as he did.
#790 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 03:59 PM

Tanya, you are so full of great advice! I'm going to have to try the toy rotation and the line about "so another child can enjoy it as much as he did!" I, too, have a thumb sucker. He started recently and I can't get him to stop. Oh well, I was a thumb sucker and I was the only child of my parent's 6 who didn't need braces! Usually DS sucks his thumb when he's tired or when he's hungry. I suppose the thumb is an improvement over fussing!

#791 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 04:12 PM

lol thumb suckers.

dd1 is one too and dd2 has the special receiving blanket and dd3.....

the pacifier baby!! I tried and tried to get dd1 and dd2 to take the pacifier and nothing worked. By 3mths, dd1 has her thumb and dd2 didn't have anything. It's really weird to have a pacifer baby and having to bring it everywhere.

I think i would take the thumb sucker anytime on the pacifier baby. hmmmm

#792 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 04:16 PM

tanya, thanks so much for the cards-i feel like such a loser-i just sent my person my normal card-tanya did a personalized letter to me in addition to a card and a separate card for seth-thanks mama!

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#793 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM

I think Tanya is putting us all to shame! I sent the letter out that was sent to all our family and friends.

#794 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 04:43 PM

Oh Tanya - and I remember you saying 'ack - it's just a card!'

Witt - I am almost a lifelong veggie - my family went on and off meat and I have done too throughout my adult life - I am now pretty definitively on because I have stopped being able to digest lentils properly and I really feel I need the fish. I'm also a blood type O so I must just be perverse! I feel no attraction to eating meat at all, everyone asks 'weren't you curious?' well, no, to me it just wasn't food.

My username - it's the nickname dh has for me, it means a little deer in Polish. Funnily enough while I was trying to think of a username dd1 who was about 3 at the time came up behind me and said 'Mummy you are sarenka' she had no clue what I was doing and couldn't read...
#795 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm glad you liked the cards! Before you give me too much credit, remember I agonized over what to send. We have never done the "Christmas letter". Not for lack of desire, but because I'm a natural procrastinator! So family and friends usually get a basic card, and if they're lucky a picture! I used the last of my stamps recently, so no snail mail cards this year. I think I'm going to send some e-cards on Christmas eve. I'm going to tell them all I went "green" this year and decided to save the landfills all by myself.
#796 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
What were your reasons to go sans meat?
I always feel very reluctant to discuss why I am vegetarian - it is such a large part of who I am that I feel I need to be careful - otherwise people run in the opposite direction. Suffice to say I don't want to be a part of suffering of sentient (thinking, feeling) beings..........: ok I'll stop now

I have been vegetarian all of my adult life and vegan for the last six months. My partner is vegetarian and we are raising the kids vegetarian - not vegan. I think it is too hard for children to be vegan personally but I have friends who are raising their kids vegan.

Quote:
I feel no attraction to eating meat at all, everyone asks 'weren't you curious?' well, no, to me it just wasn't food.
:
I don't really know from personal experience about the blood type stuff. I do know people often need to learn about how to eat vegetarian properly if that makes sense and animal protein needs to be replaced in the proper way. I've had no problems - I run half marathons and I'm currently training for a marathon next year!

Kelly - how;s it going with your two babes?
#797 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 05:05 PM

oh dear I really am tired, my last post makes no sense at all - I mean my family was veggie and on and off fish, not 'meat'. So I've never eaten any meat except fish. Their reasons were like yours, witt, not to be part of the suffering of other sentient beings.
#798 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 06:01 PM

I want to be vegetarian but i think that i'm too fussy for it. I just don't know how to proceed with all the food that i don't like and make all the food i do like in being a healthy veg. ykwim?

#799 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
before mastitis claimed me in the night like no one else has?
I'm sorry, but this has had me all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
: <--- that's a drumroll
I always think it is a kegel reminder (from someone's siggy)

And you are full of helpful advice! So how can I pull those off on my toddler? Seems like every time I try to "relocate" anything, I get caught red-handed. Something that hasn't been missed in forever, if I actually move it to the trash, the basement, or wherever, it's suddenly The Thing I Must Have Right Now.

OK, I'm supposed to be working but I wanted to say HI!.
#800 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 06:45 PM

I, of course, haven't mailed my cards yet. I am going to try try try to get them out tomorrow, but I just don't know if it will happen.
#801 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess View Post
also, oh sh*t! I forgot about the cards. I will still try to send, but in the meantime, has someone sent cards to everyone? I want to be sure something gets sent to joyofbirth because she was my one person and I'm afraid I won't get any out. :
I sent one to her

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Thinking of Cori here. Hope you feel better SOON, it mega-sucks to be sick and even more so as a mamacita.: : : : : : :
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka View Post

thanks everyone, I have decided to come down on the side of laughing but dd's : shows no sign of abating, I gave her a paracetamol suppository and it's still really high. She's coughing, throwing up, not always wanting to feed which makes me worry about dehydration...
Our naturopath said less than 3 pees in 12 hours then start to worry. Just count the diapers mama. Well wishes from our sicky house to yours.

Me and Panda slept until 1pm today. Got that? ONE IN THE AFTERNOON! Hmm. Time for lunch...
#802 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimya View Post
Me and Panda slept until 1pm today. Got that? ONE IN THE AFTERNOON! Hmm. Time for lunch...
Totally, resolutely, unequivocally, jealous.
#803 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
~pi

nak

no time to post -- family here from overseas -- but for all the sleep, sickness, and constipation stuff.

kim, i, too, would like to read what you wrote.

cards went out to the whole list today! after some hemming and hawing i ultimately switched the special fun part. we do a holiday letter via DVD, but i was concerned that it could become an obligation to sit down and watch it, which is not the point, and it's a lot of photos and such of people you wouldn't know. so instead i included something fun to put on in the background.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#804 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Why I chose my username? Because it's my name!
#805 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 10:31 PM

my user name is from the town i grew up in and what i wanted to be (was ttc at the time, or at least getting ready to be ready to ttc )

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#806 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Kim, I would love to read about Emma. I cried my eyes out watching that video.
#807 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 PM

I finally learned how to post pics. :

#808 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 11:36 PM

Kim, I didn't specify, but I'd also love to read about Emma.

Elsanne, is that really your given name? It's beautiful. Your parents were more creative than mine
#809 of 1217 Old 12-18-2006, 11:56 PM

Kim: The slideshow (not sure if it has music.. sleeping babe in lap) was beautiful.

to all the sickies

Still working on jumping in (um, you ladies are FAST.. and I mean that in the posting sense) but everyone loves pictures:

Me and my girlies (in matching kilts) Saturday night before a holiday party
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...kiltygirls.jpg

Beyond cute Francesca (and this is her default way of life.. smiley smiley girlie)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...escasmiley.jpg
#810 of 1217 Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice View Post
Your parents were more creative than mine
My mom's creativity only went as far as pronunciation. My name goes either way: Tanya (as in Tanya Tucker) or Tonya (as in Tonya Harding). Now which one would you rather be? Lucky me, I've the spelling of the former and the pronunciation of the latter. And I've answered to both all my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyful View Post
Beyond cute Francesca
:

I found something interesting when I went to bed last night. So I took a couple pics:
my discovery 1
my discovery 2
I had to rearrange them both just to go to bed. Now you know why I complain of the "mommy sandwich"! They were both out cold sleeping like that.
And I couldn't resist sharing my thumbsucker

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page