Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yay, it's me! I started it!
#2 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 11:29 AM

GOooooooood morning! SOo glad it's Friday! Tonite I am going out with some friends for a girls night out. I always hate leaving DS, but also understand the importance for some "me" time. The only problem is that when I am away from him......all I do is think of him!:

Have a great day!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#3 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 11:37 AM

I posted in the November thread without seeing this new one, so I double posted the following:

I'm not even going to attempt to catch up! It seems like when I'm able to be online, no one else is, but when I'm away everyone sneaks on and writes a book.

Christmas to me is the Nutcracker too! I grew up taking ballet classes and I was in it twice. DH even likes to go to it! Can you believe he likes ballet, classical music, and musicals (and isn't gay! ). I also love Christmas hymns ... at midnight mass (and yes, I really mean church!).

Maria, how are you recovering from your low blood sugar attack? Sounds scary. I'm glad your DH was there to help you out.

Kim, to you, Emma, and the rest of your family. I think that losing a child would have to be one of the hardest things to have to get through.

I 2nd the backpack idea for a diaper bag ... so easy to carry too.

As for all this rolling over, sitting up, and other developmental milestones, I think DS is slow to catch on because he's so big. Should I be concerned that he doesn't roll over, he can't push his upper torso off the floor when he's on his belly, and he doesn't even beging to sit on his own? He's 5 months and 1 week old and weighs somewhere around 25 lbs ... yeah, he's big. I know babes develop at different rates, but DS seems a bit slower than most. Not that I'm in a hurry for DS to move!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#4 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM

One of the questions someone sent me. Apologies for forgetting who suggested this.

*** Describe a typical day in your family/house. ***

Mine will come later...
#5 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Ohmygosh that means it's DECEMBER????

What happened to this year?
#6 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook View Post

As for all this rolling over, sitting up, and other developmental milestones, I think DS is slow to catch on because he's so big. Should I be concerned that he doesn't roll over, he can't push his upper torso off the floor when he's on his belly, and he doesn't even beging to sit on his own? He's 5 months and 1 week old and weighs somewhere around 25 lbs ... yeah, he's big. I know babes develop at different rates, but DS seems a bit slower than most. Not that I'm in a hurry for DS to move!
Laura, was he born early? If so, how many weeks? I don't remember anyone's due dates except mine and Juice's and that's only because it was the same as mine.
My dd1 was full term and slow to do the gross motor things. When she was an infant, she was content to lay on her belly and roll by accident. When she was able to sit, she was content to sit and didn't crawl well until about 8-9 months. When she could crawl, she was content to do that until she walked at 13 months. She did all this at such a different pace from ds, who hit milestones like clockwork, and she is perfectly within normal range. She was working on developing language instead of physical mobility as an infant. She was talking at 9 mo vs ds talking at 2.
#7 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Laura I wouldn't worry yet about not rolling over--but definitely give him lots of floor time. He needs to learn to heft his bulk.

Typical day:
How boring is this going to get? Do you all care how many diapers I change? Absolutely NO obnoxiousness meant, Amy. I just kind of AM obnoxious. :

Well, yknow, it's up, oatmeal, yes diaper, toddler wrangling, toddler to "school", home again, coffee again, householding biz, work on computer, some version of cobblestone-clomping through town for some purpose (which varies), home again, cooking, diapers, in there somewhere, and I bet everybody's version is something similar, without the cobblestones and with maybe a bit more driving or work.

Here's a question:
-Did anybody here wait until after they were married to dtd?
-How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day?
-Is everyone here actually married, or just together in the Biblical Sense?
-Did you get your hair cut short (from being long) at some point after you had this, or any other, baby?
#8 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 12:03 PM

No.
-How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day? Since ds started school in August, I now wake using an alarm clock. But the previous five years I would wake with the baby each day. With ds it was bliss because we were both a.m. snoozers. Dd is the only early bird in the family. So now we get up before 7am whether we have to or not.
We've been married 9 years. We got married twice. We were living together in TX, had just bought a house and decided to go ahead and do it. We figured we might as well, and we had plans to do it the following year. We promised each other (and our families) that we would still have a wedding. We did on our first anniversary.
-Did you get your hair cut short (from being long) at some point after you had this, or any other, baby? No, I've spent the time since having ds keeping it longer. But then I've never been one to make dramatic changes in my hair. I usually move slowly.

ETA: Elsanne, our days are so similar. A little , cooking, , errands, back and forth to school interspersed with plenty of , : and way too much
#9 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 12:16 PM

No.
-How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day? baby but there is an alarm set in case we happen to sleep past 6:30a

We've been married 10 years. We eloped.

-Did you get your hair cut short (from being long) at some point after you had this, or any other, baby? my hair has been short since i was 14-tho it's rather long and shaggy at the moment-i'm about a month and 1/2 overdue for a cut.

my days are pretty much the same tho i will admit to being pretty chicken about getting out on my own w/both little guys so we are pretty homebound during the week. i gotta get over that...

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#10 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM

Ok, I didn't think there was anything to worry about with DS, but I wanted some reassurance. Thanks!

My ideal day consists of a shower, eating both breakfast and lunch, giving DS a bath (a couple times a week), some , picking up the house a bit, and cooking dinner. Sometimes laundry and errands are thrown in there too. Sometimes I don't get to eat both lunch and dinner. I usually eat a large b-fast just in case!

Did anybody here wait until after they were married to dtd?
I did! DH and I had never dtd before we started dating, so we decided to wait until we were married. It really helped that it was a long distance relationship ... REALLY helped!

How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day?
Nope. Unless you count DH's alarm, but I usually roll over and go back to sleep.

Is everyone here actually married, or just together in the Biblical Sense?See question 1!

Did you get your hair cut short (from being long) at some point after you had this, or any other, baby?
Yes, but it wasn't because I had a baby. I had been growing my hair out for 2 1/2 years for Locks of Love. I had hoped my hair would be long enough to donate before DS was born b/c it was getting obnoxious. I didn't have the necessary 10 inches until about a month ago. It's now super short and I'm loving it. If I ever decide to grow it out again, please hit me over the head. I like long hair ... on other people!

#11 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 PM

Happy December!
Just a quick check-in while the boys nap and my daughter plays in the tub. Our BIG (HUGE, to me) news is that she appears to be nearly potty-trained! Woo-HOOOO!!! I can see the end of three in diapers very soon. Merry Christmas to me!

Nope

How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day?
Nope. One of the two boys usually wakes up somewhere between 6 and 6:30.

Is everyone here actually married, or just together in the Biblical Sense? Married since '97.

Did you get your hair cut short (from being long) at some point after you had this, or any other, baby?
I haven't had it cut yet, but I've been growing mine out for Locks of Love, too, and hope that it's long enough right about now! The boys' new favorite thing is to grab wads of my hair with their sticky little fists and shove it in their mouths while growling like little wild animals. Apparently it's really, really fun. I then spend the rest of the day trying to get it untangled from their fingers and pulling it out of their mouths.

Describe a typical day in your house....
Sorry, not enough time right now.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#12 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
~pi

Quote:
Maria, how are you recovering from your low blood sugar attack? Sounds scary. I'm glad your DH was there to help you out.
I feel all that everyone keeps mentioning it. I must have made it sound like a bigger deal than it was. I only mentioned it because it had happened that morning and I was feeling sucky.

It was an unsually low and weird hypo (low blood sugar), but hypos themselves aren't outside my norm. Far from it, actually. I don't have ones that serious very often (two in the past two years -- pregnancy & lactating complicate things -- but before that it had been years since I had a severe hypo) but in general, it's kind of a nonevent for me. On Wednesday I felt kind of queasy all day, but usually as soon as I get my sugar back up, I feel fine.

I think I just need to adjust my overnight basals (programmed insulin injections via my pump) -- I've been having a lot of morning lows due to nighttime nursing.

Quote:
We're with you, too. DS has rolled over maybe twice, doesn't push up all the way and is nowhere near sitting. I'm not worried -- we're still well within the norm. He'll do things when he's ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess View Post
One of the questions someone sent me. Apologies for forgetting who suggested this.

That was me!

Typical day for us would involve DH getting up in the morning, leaving me and DS sleeping off a night of partying (read: playing and nursing) until 4 a.m. Sometimes DS wakes up during DH's morning prep, I nurse him and then DH will take him in the Ergo and play with him, talk to him as he makes his lunch, etc. DS and I usually get up somewhere between 9 and 11, we nurse again and then either just hang out and play, or get ready for the day. Most days we have some sort of activity to get me out of the house -- something at school, an exercise class, a baby group, etc. When at home, I usually manage to get some work done during naps, although often those naps are on my lap, so I am slightly limited in what I can do. DH comes home around 5:30 or 6, we play with DS and try to keep him up so that he will sleep at night, usually to no avail. We manage to eat something somehow (really, we could be more organized about this but we just aren't) and then we either trade off baby fun for getting a little work done (house chores, school work, errands, etc.), or we might cuddle and watch some downloaded TV. I think we are spending too much time watching TV these days (especially considering we were tv-free for quite a while) but I'm not in a mood to make any major lifestyle changes right now. DH goes to bed while I stay up with Mr. I Don't Wanna Sleep. Cycle. Repeat.

My big proud news today: I NIP in front of a class of sixth-graders! We doing a program called Roots of Empathy and today DS wanted to nurse during the time. In principle, I am very pro NIP, but in practice, I find a little daunting when I am the one doing it, especially when I am sitting on a blanket surrounded by about 30 kids and a few adults. But DS needed to eat, so I tried to be as matter-of-fact as possible, and managed to stay cool even when he kept popping off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
: Um, no.

Quote:
-How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day?
Only when absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Actually married.

Quote:
-Did you get your hair cut short (from being long) at some point after you had this, or any other, baby?
Not after baby, but I had waist-length hair and shaved my head when I was 20.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#13 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM

Nope, our beliefs are to wait but I didn't have the willpower and neither did dh. Oh well, what can I say?

-How many people wake to an alarm clock (an actual one, not your baby) every day? I don't, thank goodness.

We are actually married on Valentine's Day 2004. And it snowed here. In Texas. Yuck! It also snowed here yesterday.

I cut my hair about 2 weeks before Mattie was born for Locks of Love. I had 16 inches cut off. I've always had long hair and only cut it a few times. This time it was at its shortest. I don't like the cut though. It makes my hair fall in my face too much. But the length is pretty good.

I'm trying to get shutterfly to load some photos and it won't work. Grrr, stupid dial-up. I guess I should just be grateful to have any internet back.

Ous days are pretty lazy here. Childcare housecleaning, you know. We don't get out very often because it's a pain. We have one car.

I'll try to post some pics later. I'm gonna try snapfish.
I could still use more diaper bag recommendations. Somebody said a backpack. Are you talking a regular backpack or a diaper bag backpack?
Ok, so I'm thinking now that I haven't been pregnant in 5 months, I should probably change my siggie.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#14 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM

Laura - my first ds was like yours. He was smaller so don't worry about the weight thing. He seemed to focus more on verbal rather than physical milestones. He crawled at 10 months and walked at 14 months (and those are still in the normal range....)

Quote:

Here's a question:
There is more than one question there. Sorry couldn't resist!

Nope. But dh was the first - we started dating when I was 15 and he was 17.

Nathan usually has us up by 6:15 (gawd do I loathe daylight savings for screwing us up....we are in the eastern zone). The alarm is set for 6:30 both for me to get ready for work and also to get ds1 ready for school.

We've been married 9 years, together for 20!

Nope! My hair is long enough to be easily tied back though - that's my version of "mom hair". I did get it cut last night and she took way more off than I wanted but it is still shoulder length.

Typical day

Mon-Thurs: Up, race through shower, race to get ds1 ready for school, race to get ds2 nursed while pumping the other side, race to eat my breakfast, race to pack up pump and parts, race to get ds1 out to the bus stop, race to get ds2 to dcp, race to work. Ugh

Fri: Still have to get up and get ds1 ready for school. Usually I end up going out all morning and doing my errands. Then we CHILL.

Sat-Sun: Whatever!
#15 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyofBirth View Post
I'll try to post some pics later. I'm gonna try snapfish.
I could still use more diaper bag recommendations. Somebody said a backpack. Are you talking a regular backpack or a diaper bag backpack?
Ok, so I'm thinking now that I haven't been pregnant in 5 months, I should probably change my siggie.
Please do! The picture of Mattie is an ultrasound picture!!

I have a diaper bag from Land's End that looks almost like a purse (I have the all black one in the first link). I also have their version of the backpack diaper bag though I don't use it as much anymore...both were birthday gifts from my sister!! They aren't cheap though...

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...&CM_MERCH=SRCH

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...&CM_MERCH=SRCH
#16 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess View Post

Mine will come later...

A typical day here starts at about 6 am. I get up and wake the two older girls so they can start getting ready for school. While they are getting dressed, I and then it's downstairs to make breakfast. While they are eating, I give Logan his breathing treatment. (for RSV) : He gets treatments on the nebulizer every four hours right now. They get on the bus a little after 7 am.

Then it's home and clean up a bit and . Play with my four year old and . During naptimes I try to get some work done. (freelance writing) Pick up the girls at 2:30, come back home, snack for the kids, for Logan. Homework, make dinner, eat, clean up the kitchen, spend a bit of time playing/reading/hanging out with the kids. Then it's bathtime for the girls, bedtime snack, get ready for bed. Then when Logan goes to sleep I work until he wakes up again to I go to bed when he falls back asleep and it's all night long! Wow, I'm tired just writing this! :
#17 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 02:39 PM

No.

We have an alarm clock that is set for 6, but it rarely goes off. Logan is usually up by then. It's set just in case because my two oldest dds go to school.

Is everyone here actually married, or just together in the Biblical Sense?

We have been married for almost 15 years and together for 18.

I cut my hair when my first baby was born. It stayed shoulder length for a long time. I have been growing it out a bit since I was pregnant with Logan. I'd love to have shorter hair that is easier to style, but I look HORRIBLE with short hair.
#18 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Laura - my first ds was like yours. He was smaller so don't worry about the weight thing. He seemed to focus more on verbal rather than physical milestones. He crawled at 10 months and walked at 14 months (and those are still in the normal range....)
This sounds like my oldest dd. She crawled at 11 months and walked at 15 months. She also focused on her verbal development first. She could talk before she could walk. (it used to freak people out because she was very small!) I really wouldn't worry about it. They develop at their own pace. Logan is my fourth and they have all been unique in that way.
#19 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi ladies! I completely missed out on the November thread.

Nope, not me.

I'll wake up to hubby's but don't actually get up to it. Unless, of course, he hits snooze so many times it wake up DS. :

Married, today is our 5 year anniversary!

When DD was about 6 weeks, on my 31st birthday I got it chopped off from this length to this length. I had my hair chemically straightened about a year and a half ago and was growing it out, it looked really funky - wavy on the top and straight on the bottom. DH had just gone sea so I got it all chopped off.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#20 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
My big proud news today: I NIP in front of a class of sixth-graders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyofBirth View Post
We are actually married on Valentine's Day 2004. And it snowed here. In Texas. Yuck! It also snowed here yesterday.
I keep forgetting you are in DFW. We eloped to a chapel in W. Ft. Worth, then when we had our wedding a year later, it was at the FTW Botanic Gardens. It was so pretty, but that summer was hot! 100 degree temps for at least a month every day. The pattern broke on the wedding day...it was 99 degrees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
I'll wake up to hubby's but don't actually get up to it. Unless, of course, he hits snooze so many times it wake up DS. :
Oh that used to make me so mad, especially when it was just ds. I still liked letting dd1 sleep when I'd get up with ds, but now that we all have to get up, and leave shortly after he gets up anyway, I don't care who wakes the baby. Interestingly, she sleeps through all the racket. :
#21 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Tanya - thanks for offering to look up the medication - I haven't been able to contact the dr today to ask her. Last night I tried smearing myself with olive oil lemon juice and beaten egg white. We'll see how tonight goes - I'm told not to wash...

we've all been very orderly about these questions haven't we!

My marriage was a direct response to pregnancy and being from different countries (and catholic family on the IL side probably to be honest)

Alarm clock? it's at 6. It's to get dd1 to school, her bus is at 7. Sometimes dh goes off to some big city from our remote rural hole to do reasearch or lectures or something, like this morning, and then the alarm is about 4 or 5.

Haven't cut my hair yet, never had it really short, but it's annoying me enough by it's crap condition that it may be endangered...

As for a typical day...not really any such thing as typical, there's dd to school, she comes home at 12.30, and we eat together, and she goes to bed at 8 (dd2 at 7) but that's it for regularity - dh's work is really irregular. we have one car so there's a lot of fitting things in. i spend more time at home than i ever have done in my life before. i do sometimes climb the walls, but i like it more than i ever thought i would...
#22 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwickmama View Post
pretty chicken about getting out on my own w/both little guys so we are pretty homebound during the week. i gotta get over that...
YOU CAN DO IT!! I just started tentatively doing it a few weeks ago, here and there. It is so scary, I know what you mean! I just now feel okay to do it periodically. I am amazed at women who do it all the time.

Quote:

I did! DH and I had never dtd before we started dating, so we decided to wait until we were married. It really helped that it was a long distance relationship ... REALLY helped!
cool about the locks of love! Hey, how cool are YOU that you waited!!! That must have been very special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
There is more than one question there. Sorry couldn't resist!

Nope. But dh was the first - we started dating when I was 15 and he was 17.
YEEEES, (<--sarcasm there) there is more than one question. I had just thought of one at first, OKAAAAY? Then, more were channeled. Yes, channeled.

And in regards to dh being the first (wow, btw), what I wanna know is, was he the last? : : : : : : : :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
Hi ladies! I completely missed out on the November thread.

When DD was about 6 weeks, on my 31st birthday I got it chopped off from this length to this length. I had my hair chemically straightened about a year and a half ago and was growing it out, it looked really funky - wavy on the top and straight on the bottom. DH had just gone sea so I got it all chopped off.
Nice to see you back! Great hair pics!
#23 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 PM

elsane, did you ever get the dylan album? i swear it gets better and better and better
#24 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:

And in regards to dh being the first (wow, btw), what I wanna know is, was he the last? : : : : : : : :

!
I plead the fifth! I don't want to discuss on a public forum! Might have to go to the YG for these questions!
#25 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 PM

This really is a coincidence but could I join the yahoo group and if so, where? :
#26 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Hey, my dh was my first and I was 15 too! He was 20 : My parents hated him and we ended up parting ways, so he wasn't my only. We ended up back together when I was 20 and have been together ever since.

As for going out with the kids, it takes time to get a system down for handling all of them. I remember staying in a lot when my second was born. Now I take all four of them out (but not too often). During the day when the older two are in school, I take the two little ones out. We even went to Friendly's on our own when Logan was about 2 months old! I felt very brave that day.
#27 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:29 PM

I'll answer all those questions in a bit. We just got back from DH's "big V", and he's to "stay off his feet". So I'm going to wait on him hand and foot for a while. I don't mind, but I'm really having a hard time not GOING OFF about how I was so not waited on after I pushed out all those babies.

*sigh* just such a difference in perspective sometimes...
#28 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM

It sounds like an ideal time to, er, force some empathy. I never waste those opportunities!!
#29 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenka View Post
This really is a coincidence but could I join the yahoo group and if so, where? :
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mdcjulyddc/

Jessica, They just aren't as strong as we are. I forgot that was today. I still can't convince my dh that it's something to consider. Don't worry about getting back to me about the pail liner right away. I've got plenty of other sewing to do first.
#30 of 1217 Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 PM

Jessica, DHs are always big babies when they are sick! How did the surgery go overall? DH promised me that I never had to take chemical birth control (we do FAM/NFP) and I promised him he'd never have to have anything snipping at his jewels!

There sure are a lot of Locks of Love donaters here! This was my 2nd time donating. I did it after college too. JessicaJoy, 16 inches! Wow. I couldn't stand my hair and I only donated 11 inches!

Elsanne, I think I was more scared of getting preggers before getting hitched than anything else! That would have been a huge no-no in my family ... I have a cousin who was practically shunned for getting preggers this past year without being married and she's 33 (I think she's a big girl who can take care of herself and her babe!)

Sonja, happy anniversary! Are you doing anything special? Too much detail is not necessary! BTW, I love your haircut.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page