June 2006 Mamas chattin' away December 2006! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1860 Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Megan - glad you landed safely! That sounds like a crazy-making good time with a babe.... Flying from NYC to Tokyo is about 14-15 hours, and I always go insane somewhere over Alaska. I can't imagine also having a child in my lap. You are tougher than me!

Sarahlynn...owwwwwww.
#122 of 1860 Old 12-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Megan - glad to have you stateside mama! What a trip.

Mikey is officially crawling - it's very army-crawlish, but there is no stopping him now - he can make it across a room and though he was not sitting, he now does that thing where they crawl and then roll on their side and then sit (does that make sense?) so he's almost sitting, he props himself up on one elbow and plays with toys once he's crawled to them. ugh. why won't this boy slow down so that mama can enjoy him!?!?!? he too is fighting the naps - so much to see with his 3 big sisters - always activity going on.

i moved him out of his convertible (is that what you call the kind with a handle?) carseat and into a static car seat in our van and he is up much higher than before and is much more pleasant in the car now b/c he can see things out the window i think. what heaven! had i known it would change his car personality so much, i'd have done this months ago. ah well, live and learn...he's only #4...LOL, you'd think i'd have this figured out by now...

happy half birthday evie! she is such a cutie!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#123 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 AM

Welcome home megan!! You are a brave soul traveling like that alone w a baby!! I am glad everything went well though.

Maggie is getting the crawling bug too. Anyday now we are in trouble!

We always used the convertable seat and had that bucket thing in dh's truck. Its going to be useless in a few more weeks if we get another growth spurt. But, a lot of places will put the model of carseats strollers etc on sale soon big time, so we will buy another couple then for his car and another booster to have on hand for grandparents, carpooling etc.

Also, we are opening a 529 for Maggie this week. We already have one for Liz. (Not that there is mega bucks in there but still...) has anyone else done a 529 or something for education?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#124 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
happy half birthday evie! she is such a cutie!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Also, we are opening a 529 for Maggie this week. We already have one for Liz. (Not that there is mega bucks in there but still...) has anyone else done a 529 or something for education?
We don't. I keep meaning to start one, but just haven't done so yet. How did you decide on the 529. I don't even know what options are out there. I do know that I send home a 529 brochure with my kids every year though.
#125 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Now if I could get people to stop calling us at 8 am.

my mommy taught me never to call before 9 am or after 9 pm :

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#126 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:30 AM

ah yes, Mikey's slideshow - are we supposed to be sending these to someone or just posting?

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#127 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Megan~ glad the flight went well. yeah for NIP!

Sarahlynn~congrats on the tooth~

Sorry to all the mamas experience sleep troubles... Jonah never sleeps straight through so my life has not changed. But he is usually good about going down for naps... though he sleeps whenever he feels like it. we aren't scheduled or routine at all. christian used to be very regular in sleeping, poops. everything. jonah just does what he feels like it when he feels like it...

i can't officially call what jonah is doing crawling... but he can get across a room, real fast and can't be left for 5 seconds on a bed or he will try to take a header...

Amy~ both boys have an education account, what's it called? i think it is the 457? and also savings accounts. whenever someone gave us cash for the boys, we put it in their accounts and then i make monthy contributions as well.

slideshows... i'm adding the links to the front page...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#128 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
ah yes, Mikey's slideshow - are we supposed to be sending these to someone or just posting?

oh.my.gosh. too cute!

#129 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

oh, at church this morning there was a mama sitting in front of office with a 5 month old. birthday july 4. i think she actually attended the one and only group appt thing i had at kaiser cause she looked really familiar. and i was so excited when she started nursing her babe! of course, for some reason they had the heater up and so it was really really hot in the kiddos area... and she put a blanket over his head. dh said to me when we left "man, i couldn't eat with a blanket over my head. it must have been really hot." i totally wanted to do the good for you for nursing thing but didn't want her to think i was a total moron so i refrained. : and, um, i nursed but i didn't bother with a blanket (i actually don't even usually take the thing out of the car). i so would get kicked off a plane. :

good night ya'll! gotta get the kiddos in bed...

#130 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sarahlynn~Congrats on the tooth.

$ for education we had my mom start a savings account for Ryker and Alexandria for their xmas gifts.

Ryker is getting good at Rocking back and fourth on all 4's and goes move a little so hopefully it won't be long before he's crawling.

off to try and lay Ryker down since he's finally asleep so i can sew.

Kami

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#131 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 AM

Korin, I'm glad you're feeling better - your poor boobs. And whoever said Ruby is probably just minutes away from 'dada' is probably right - how exciting!!!

I'm loving these slideshows, mamas!!!

Quote:
Anyone else still avoiding having sex ?
Not avoiding, but not initiating either yet, so it's basically up to him right now....I don't usually refuse when offered cause I enjoy it , but I just don't have the time or energy to think about initiating right now, KWIM? I do remind him occasionally that I won't turn him down but it's not on my radar right now, so it's up to him to speak up when he wants to get his groove on.

Helen, love the Zelwegger bit (totally my sense of humor, but I guess we've already established our commonality there) - AND the cat picture is great!

Yay Sam - grow grow grow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
I think that the biggest issue I'm having with sleep is that I really don't sleep well with someone touching me, so having a baby who wants to snuggle as close as she can is rough. And when said baby is restless and punching me in the ribs all night... Well, you get the idea. But last night was good. Now if I could get people to stop calling us at 8 am.
and : on the early am calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
my mommy taught me never to call before 9 am or after 9 pm :
me too!!!

MEGS, WELCOME HOME!!! Glad you're relatively unscathed. Good to have you back!

Quote:
We've got a 529 with both kids' names on it, plus we've signed up for UPromise and my parents have too (we figure it covers the 529 admin fees every year) and DH has a cash investment account that we're putting into for things like helping them with cars, weddings, and houses, God willing. DH is virtually obsessed with investing, because his parents didn't really and now they're having a bit of a tough time in retirement, and he doesn't want to end up like that. So, we started investing about the time DS was born and we are blessed to be able to be socking away quite a chunk - to both our retirements, the 529 and the cash account. Of course, we're strapped because of all the money we're investing, but I supose it's better than it just being spent on nonsense like we probably would if we had it every month...

Kait rolled from tum to back the other day, so she's going both directions now. She LOVES the saucer and the jumper (don't worry Megs, she's not jumping, she's just twinkle toeing around in circles like her brother did) and she is also experimenting with sounds and consonants a lot. I have a feeling she's going to be an early talker and a little later on the motor skills.

I was at the mall doing a little return/shopping on Saturday, and a young girl and her mom (she was probably around 20 - then again, anyone under 30 feels young to me : ) approached me asking me where I got my wrap; it was one of my homemade ones, so I wrote down the web addresses of mamatoto and moby wrap (cause they have great wearign instructions) for some help for her; she said she was going to be breastfeeding and liked the idea of that, and I really encouraged her on the BF and babyearing. Yay! Now I wish I would have also written down the MDC address, too. Duh. This is the 4th time I've given out this info, I'm thinking of just printing up some cards with the info on it so I don't have to scramble for paper and pen. Then, I had DD facing out when we were at Target yesterday, and it was so cute it was almost unbearable - she's a people magnet, just like her brother. She was chatting up anyone who looked at her. :

OK, must get some work done, I'll check back in a couple hours for the next 30 pages

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#132 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
I'm thinking of just printing up some cards with the info on it so I don't have to scramble for paper and pen.
Hellzyeah, me, too. I was actually just telling my parents this on our drive home from church yesterday (during which I'd felt soooo not MDC 'cause Nevie had crashed during the service, so I bundled her back into her carseat... and then we ended up chatting with folks in the foyer for about 10 minutes w/ Nevie still in the bucket. ARGH!).

Anyway, because I wore her in our no-sew wrap for all the travelling, I explained wrap wearing to about 3 mothers, 2 pregnant women, and the pregnant lady at Avis Car Rental (and the non-preggo lady at Avis, too -- totally curious about it). I had to laugh at myself about that one, 'cause it was on the heels of all that horrible travel and waiting and I was soooo tired, but still stood there for about 5 minutes putting on the wrap and showing her. Like a lot of babywearing mamas here, I get stopped about it almost every time I go out. Maybe a little stop to Kinkos for cards is in order...

Someone asked what kind of dog Riley is. He's a cross of Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute. Since huskies were derived from Mals, it's not too crazy of a mix. He looks all Malamute, though (and acts all Mal, too). There are a few pictures of him on our blog ~ just have to look back through the months a bit. He's also something I get a lot of comments on. He's real purty :

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#133 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlynn83 View Post
We got a tooth!!! Alex was playing with my hand at church and he stuck it in my mouth and be bit me!! It almost drew blood he but so hard !! Oh well, we are excited.
That will teach ya!! How exciting!
#134 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Yay for teeth!

Mikey is too cute!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#135 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:07 AM

I get stopped daily to ask about Maggie's sling and have since I started using it. DH says I should do a wholesale order and sell them out of my trunk! I had a mama try it out at the pool this summer, another older woman take it and lay it out to see the measurements to make one for her daughter, countless people check out the label and the website listed on it, it goes on and on.

My SIL thought I was full of it until we were at the zoo last month. A pregnt mama came up to me in the bathroom and asked about the sling! What kind, what size, what size should she get.... SIL said, ok now I believe you. I dont know how I became the poster child for slings but I am a walking AP billboard.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#136 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
MEGS, WELCOME HOME!!! Glad you're relatively unscathed. Good to have you back!

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#137 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I get stopped daily to ask about Maggie's sling and have since I started using it. DH says I should do a wholesale order and sell them out of my trunk! I had a mama try it out at the pool this summer, another older woman take it and lay it out to see the measurements to make one for her daughter, countless people check out the label and the website listed on it, it goes on and on.

My SIL thought I was full of it until we were at the zoo last month. A pregnt mama came up to me in the bathroom and asked about the sling! What kind, what size, what size should she get.... SIL said, ok now I believe you. I dont know how I became the poster child for slings but I am a walking AP billboard.
It's fun, isn't it? I get at least three comments a day when I'm out with Samantha in the wrap. I gotta get some fabric and start making my wraps...I could probably almost sell 'em to strangers on the street!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#138 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Must have been in the air yesterday b/c I got asked a couple times about my sling at the store as well. I think b/c pple can see that I have J securely on my hip and still have a hand for C as well....

#139 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Holiday card exchange list went out via PM. Yay! I think we picked our photo, now I gotta order those suckers.

We had a very light snow this morning. Weird, usually there is snow before or on Thanksgiving in Massachusetts! I'm going to try to dvr Oprah tomorrow to see what Al Gore has to say about depressing global warming stuff.

I was thinking of getting free vista print cards with babywearing and LLL info on it too! I always get stopped. I love telling people about babywearing, and invariably they want to know about breastfeeding too if they are pregnant.

Ok, gotta take Harper and go to the mall. Husband was too overwhelmed by holiday shopping to purchase himself jeans yesterday while at the mall. So apparently it is easier to send me AND a baby. He was also too overwhelmed to get anything for dinner at the grocery store, but he managed to come home with breakfast sweeties for himself. Hmmmmmmmmm. I should send Zellweger.
#140 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 AM

OK, Helen... I must know the background on this Zellweger obsession! I noticed it in your blog archives, and I'm just dying to know.

Wouldn't it be handy to have an extra wife around sometimes?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#141 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Zellweger just came to me, a gift from the universe :P OK, husband and I made fun of that clip from Cold Mountain where she says "If you need hep, here I am!" I'm so glad she's here to help. She does the work of three wives.
#142 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 PM

So here I am. :
Meg, glad to hear your trip went well. I wonder when we'll hear from BFM?

Things are going fairly well here, but I've been up and down recently (now up). Philip is great, he is rolling over all of the time, he makes lots of funny noises (korin, he definitely has found consonants as well, it is SO CUTE). today it sounded like he said "sweater" (of course, I don't think he did!). He is eating less frequently, about every 3 hours, so when I'm home it takes me a while to remember and to stop stressing about him not eating as much. But he doesn't really seem to indicate hunger unless he gets whiny (which could mean he is tired or wants to be held or all sorts of other things) so I wonder if that's because I offer all the time and he doesn't really need to ask?
DH and I had a "date" yesterday and his parents came to watch Philip. They gave him newspaper to play with, which he loved, but then he got ink all over his hands and face! : I had to give him a bath. I guess wax paper is a better choice, but I am a little wary about the wax. Plus, it doesn't have print on it.
We also bought Philip some books, and it reminded me of those books when I was a kid. Berenstein Bears, Poky Little Puppy (and Little Golden Books), Dr. Seuss. Philip loves books, but I think he prefers eating them to having them read to him.
What else. I'm feeling a little distant from my family, which bothers me.

I have to go to work, but wanted to check in.
#143 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 02:44 PM

Nice to see you, Jessica. Sorry you're feeling so distant from your family. That's no good. Luckily newsprint isn't toxic, just a pain. Plain printer paper would work if you have extra laying around.

Wanna have lunch on the 13th? I have to take Samantha to the hospital for her NICU clinic.

Sydney has a case of lice that will not die. : Luckily it's just the eggs, and none of us have seen any live bugs, but it's a pain because if her school sees any nits, they immediately send her home. We've shampooed her as many times as we can, combed her hair every day, and washed all of her clothes/bedding/toys in both households twice. There's one other kid in her class who has the nits too, but obviously we don't know what that family is doing to help solve the problem. Poor kid just wants to go to school, you know?

#144 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM

Have you ever seen baby paper? Sounds silly, but seriously, Mikey played with it for an HOUR the first time he saw it!! The site I linked is hugely expensive, don't buy it there if you're interested...

you can get it from www.naturalbabies.com for more than half the price ($3.50 I think?) Colleen doesn't have it online, but you can email her from her site and ask about it - love the stuff!

or you could probably make it yourself by sewing some wax paper inside of some material - not sure how that would wash up (probably not well) but it'd probably be cheap enough that you could just throw it out when it got yucky...not very "environmentally" friendly to do it that way though either I suppose...

#145 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM

i made some of that by surging a piece of cereal bag btwn two pieces of fabric... she loves it!!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#146 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM

I just emailed colleen. Ive bought 80% of my dipes from her. Total Doll, she is.

Maggie loves playing w the newspaper. Bob tries to give her the ads since the ink dosent get all over her. She also rips up the paper on the exam table at the Drs office when we go in. Our ped is happy about it since that means she is developing . Bob dosent care either. He says second children are able to do things like that for a reason. : :

Watch, we will get this baby paper, and she will only want the newspaper. This happened similar with her sister years ago. She only wanted the tv remote. Not the one we gave her w no batteries. Around the same age too....

Jessica, I am sorry you feel distance from your family. But I am glad your feeling up right now!

Its so flippin cold here. My FIL came over while I dropped off Liz to school so Maggie could stay in. He is coming back at 3:15 again while I pick her up. It worked out well, I could run an errand.

#147 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM

We moved this weekend I love my new place and I can FINALLY hang up the tons of pictures of my kids! and my wall decoartions!.

I don't think I'll be posting much here anymore. I'm drained out on MDC> and I've found my home at another natural parenting board. I will still 'check in' over here with my other June mamas. As there is only about 1 other mama there with a close age range baby. hehe..

I just sent out about 30 cards on my other message board so now I will send them out for here Are we suppose to include pictures?! I think I read something one time about that...??
#148 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post
We moved this weekend I love my new place and I can FINALLY hang up the tons of pictures of my kids! and my wall decoartions!.

I don't think I'll be posting much here anymore. I'm drained out on MDC> and I've found my home at another natural parenting board. I will still 'check in' over here with my other June mamas. As there is only about 1 other mama there with a close age range baby. hehe..

I just sent out about 30 cards on my other message board so now I will send them out for here Are we suppose to include pictures?! I think I read something one time about that...??
Definitely pictures of those beautiful babies! Glad you got all moved in. I can't wait to start the decorating phase of the move-in here...for now, we're in the let's-unpack-these-boxes-so-we-can-find-the-floor phase.

I'm sorry MDC isn't a home for you anymore, but glad you're going to stick around with our DDC.

Amy, the cold was a huge shock here too, and I did NOT want to leave the house this morning. It went from being 75 two days ago, to being just barely above freezing today. So bizarre.

#149 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Did you see the [nothing in particular ]? Guaranteed not to leak...sheesh.

Helen, you crack me up.

#150 of 1860 Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Did you [nothing in particular ]? Guaranteed not to leak...sheesh.

Helen, you crack me up.

hee. i like your style....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page