In your experience, do amber teething necklaces really work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before I spend the $25 I'd love to take an informal poll so I know what you think!

Thanks in advance, as always!

~OA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 AM

Thanks for asking, Ive been wanting to know the same thing.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 AM

Hiya, I don't know abou what specifically you are talking about, i.e. if someone is marketting amber teething necklaces speicfically for teething, but I thought I ought to comment on commercial amber!

Where my perspective comes from: I studied Gemmology as a trade (the study of gemstones incl. amber, shell etc etc) and received 'certification' of my qualifications. I am an FcGMa (fellow of the can. gem. assoc)

Amber commercially is often treated. This can be as simple as a heat treatment, but most often times is heated in oils (usually a veg based oil but you can't be sure its clean), colored, plastic coating, plastic impregnation, as well as who knows what to shine it, buff it, and make it a sparkly.pretty color.

I would hesitate using an amber product that looked really pretty. It usually means its been treated somehow (specifically if it has a sun spangled look, this means its been heated, most likely with oils--although most often in a veg based oil, but again who can be sure)

Anywho, if someone is marketting amber teething necklaces, be sure to find out where the amber is coming from, what it looks like, and if its been treated...but be forewarned the majority of salepeople have no idea the 'behind the scenes' treatments done to gem materials.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:51 AM

:

~Tia~ Mom to 3 girls
Old 12-04-2006, 03:02 PM

Yes they work in our family. Ds has 6 teeth now...and except for a little drooling we haven't noticed any difference in him.

Use the search options for 'teething necklace', there have been about 10 threads on the subject.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM

I think it worked great for my DD2. Sadly, she won't stop trying to chew on it, so we can't use it anymore. My DD1 thinks it helps with her stuffed up nose and like to wear it now. I don't really care if it truly is doing anything for her or not. If it will get her to go to school happy and stop complaining about her nose, she can wear it. LOL

I wore it around my wrist at night and it helped my thumb (2 surgeries and possible giant cell tumor coming back) be less sore and stiff in the morning.

Leigh

Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM

Our amber teething necklace arrived last Friday so we're trying it out. So far it seems to make my DD less anxious from discomfort, but I want to give it at least a week to determine if the necklace is really making a difference.

Kristin

Mama to Laurel '06 & high needs Will '09
Crunchy in mainstream suburbia | Sleep-deprived WAHM
Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebottle View Post
i don't know much about iris root necklaces, which i believe are actually chewed by the baby
Tell me more about these and where to find them.

Also looking for good links to cute amber necklaces too!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:28 AM

I had never heard of these before up until a couple weeks ago and brought them up to dh and he thought that it was the biggest bunch of bull. It makes sense about being treated and not in the right form though. It would certainly be nice if they did work because dd needs all the help she can get.

Melanie
Old 12-05-2006, 06:37 AM

I brought DD one just today off an online trading site from my country. I'm yet to find out if it will work as it is her xmas present and even then she may not have started teething by then. I figure if it doesn;t work it'll still be something cool for her to have and to look back on when she is older
Old 12-05-2006, 12:22 PM

I bought mine from www.maplesplendor.ca and is really cute. I can't say for certain that it works, however, my ds popped his 1st 2 teeth w/out me even knowing he was teething. No whining or fussing or even fever. So he is either a really wonderful teether or the necklace works. Besides, if it doesn't work then it looks adorable on him and I get lots of compliments

User Tag List