Favorite Type of Carrier - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What's your favorite type of carrier?
Sling - no padding 42 100.00%
Sling - shoulder padding 6 66.67%
Sling - rail padding 0 0%
Sling - shoulder and rail padding 11 100.00%
Sling - knot tying kind 7 77.78%
Pouch 15 100.00%
Baby Bjorn/Baby Trekker type 22 100.00%
Frame back pack 5 55.56%
Other (I know you'll tell me about more! =) ) 11 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-29-2003, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MelissaEvans
II realize how biased I am. Can you guess what type of padding I like? =) And I love NaturalBabies even though they sell more diapers than slings, I thought I'd give 'em a plug. =) I should start making a commission! =) Or, I need to start sewing my own slings and selling them! DS is the greatest model. =)
Hey Melissa-

It's really late, so I'm not sure if I'm not thinking right or what. It's June 2003, right? So it's impossible for your ds to be born already if his b-date is 10-8-03, right?

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 06-29-2003, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
I think your write up is a great idea! Good for you! I do think you should add Kangaroo Korner (http://www.kangarookorner.com) to your list of where to get slings. Tanya's adjustable fleece pouch, really is the best pouch style sling available and she also has lots of info and a good selection of slings including unpadded, slightly padded and heavily padded ring slings.

Deborah

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#33 of 47 Old 06-29-2003, 02:35 PM

My favorite is the pouch. I have an "Urban Tot Tote" from http://www.fussybutt.com It's awsome, and the WAHM is great.
#34 of 47 Old 06-29-2003, 05:44 PM

I've been leaning towards the pouch. I'm not crazy about the rings, and the wraps scare me! I'm sure its just me....and I can't wrap my *hands* in kickboxing...:LOL

Quote:
Tanya's adjustable fleece pouch, really is the best pouch style sling available
y, so Deborah! I've looked at NN and I didn't even *know* about Fussybutt!

This is a great thread! There are *so* many choices! : : :
#35 of 47 Old 06-29-2003, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Michelle! Um.. DS was born 10/08/02.

I'll add the Kangaroo Korner to my list. =) I've been eyeing those for a while now... =)
#36 of 47 Old 06-30-2003, 01:59 AM

I love my packababy! the only part of my body that gets sore carrying my 18lb baby in my packababy is my stomach musles.... just because I haven't built them up from having her & they are flabby as heck!
I hardly ever use my sling anymore. I hate having the babe only on one shoulder like that. She always falls asleep just when that shoulder is starting to hurt.
packababy! yipppeee
I hear that they might be kind of hard to get because of so many orders ?
#37 of 47 Old 06-30-2003, 11:46 PM

I'm a huge Kangaroo Korner fan. We have an adjustable fleece pouch and a custom made sling from KK (padded rails and shoulder). I sent her blue Hawaiian fabric for the sling.
I really love both and it's hard to say that one is better than the other, though I very much prefered the padded sling when Lily was a newborn.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#38 of 47 Old 07-01-2003, 01:12 PM

For winter and cooler months I absolutely love my kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch (they make a cotton one now too!). Love love love it.

I'm a big fan on my ring sling. Especially my TaylorMadeTreasures organic cotton mesh - very breathable, cups my shoulder, nice long tail.

Lately, I've fallen for my wrap sling - the Simply Attached Sling made by MotherofEden (maker of Fuzzibunz). Very versatile and Anna loves to eat her feet while she faces out in the front carry... a back carry can be done with it too... very very comfortable and not hot even though it's fleece.

Tammy
#39 of 47 Old 07-02-2003, 12:43 AM

I loved my Kangaroo Korner Fleece Pouch!! It was THE best! Great for newborns through toddlers. So comfy and easy to get on and off.

I also liked the Walking Rock Farm sling and the Hip Baby (hip carrier)~ so well made and really comfy!

I never liked heavily padded slings or OTSBH styled slings.
#40 of 47 Old 07-02-2003, 12:48 AM

i voted for unpadded sling, b/c lately my fave is a mesh sling w/no padding at all. but when dd#2 was a newborn, she hated being entirely down in the pouch, & i used to prop her head up on the padded rail of my otsbh. so it really kinda depends on the age of the baby for me. i loved those otsbh slings (we have 2 tiedyed) for yrs...just got a plain totally unpadded mesh sling from someone at aw & thought i'd miss the shoulder pads, but i really don't! SO much cooler, too.
#41 of 47 Old 07-02-2003, 01:59 AM

I voted unpadded because that is the one I use most frequently.

But here is my breakdown of when and what.

Early weeks of nb. Padded sling. Homemade. Don't like OTSBH or NoJo both have too much padding for me. Most of the others were not readily avalible when I was on a mission for the perfect carrier.

Later weeks-months of nb. Unpadded sling or well fitting pouch depending on activity.

Later unpadded sling.

Pouch comes back into play when the child is old enough that they don't get carried much but there are still occassions where a carrier is needed in the hip hold position. Basicly, pouchs can fit in a large pocket so I have them in every bag and purse that I carry.

For me Baby Trekkers are for longer lengths of time in the carrier for older and heavier children. Used most with my then 2yo/35 lber when I had a nb. Or for traveling when a framed backpack would not be easily transported.

Framed backpack for the distance walking/hiking.

So imo everyone should have one of each.
#42 of 47 Old 07-02-2003, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

www.peppermint.com has dream sets like BonaDea recommends. =)

In all of those sets, they have the Ergo carrier. I keep looking at it, and lots of mommies here like it, but it doesn't look comfortable to me. When the baby's on your back, you have the waiste clip and another one above the chest. I had a Snugli brand carrier that did this and I hated it. I'm a bigger than I want to be in the chest, I don't need clips enhancing it for me. =(

I also looked at the Simply Attached wrap carrier... the picutre shows the baby so low it doens't look right to me. I'm glad to hear it works well. I've been eyeing the Ultimate baby wrap (but peppermint really likes the Ellroo (?) carrier along the same lines)...

We're refinancing and pulling out a bunch of money; I'll have my chance to get a few more. =)
#43 of 47 Old 07-02-2003, 05:16 PM

Melissa,
I think that's just the way Tereson wears it... I wear Anna much higher and position her so she's sitting facing out - this way she can bounce along when I walk and still eat her toes!
Tammy
#44 of 47 Old 08-15-2003, 10:16 PM

Hi. I usually only look at the diapering section but decided to venture out today. I'm a carrier hyena in the making, so I was happy to see this thread.
I voted for 3 kinds of carriers because I couldn't decide. So far I LOVE my Rebozo and KK fleece pouch for my newborn. I know I'm going to love my Zolowear sling once I figure out how to adjust it. I love the way it feels when I put it on.
The only carrier that hasn't been working for me so far is the Bjorn. By the time I get DS settled into it, he's already cryingand I have to get him right back out. I think the slings and pouches are much easier to use and DS loves them.
#45 of 47 Old 08-16-2003, 02:17 AM

Okay, now you all have me eyeing so many carriers! What's a girl to do? if I get as attached to carrier shopping as I have to diaper choppong, my husband's likely to leave me

I have a Maya-type sling made by a WAHM, and I LOVE it! I used the NN as a newborn, though, and it was good as well. Don't liek it so much now. Maybe when he's using the hip carry more?

I am looking at the tie wrap slings. How hard is it to learn how to tie them correctly?
#46 of 47 Old 08-17-2003, 02:42 PM

I only have experience with the Rebozo, but I didn't find it all that difficult to learn to tie correctly. Every once in a while I don't get it tied quite right, but it only takes a minute or two to re-do.
#47 of 47 Old 08-18-2003, 08:33 AM

Hi - I've been reading this thread with interest, trying to decide which baby carrier to buy. I'm due with #3 in 3.5 weeks, so I need to hurry!

We just used a Baby Bjorn with my two older children, and didn't use it very much, because we didn't like it. I usually just carried both girls around.

At the moment, the Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch is looking the best to me, but I was only planning to buy one carrier - is that one too limited? Should I really buy more than one? If so, why?

If you were only going to have one carrier, what type would you suggest?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a total novice at this...

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page