Favorite Type of Carrier - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What's your favorite type of carrier?
Sling - no padding 42 100.00%
Sling - shoulder padding 6 66.67%
Sling - rail padding 0 0%
Sling - shoulder and rail padding 11 100.00%
Sling - knot tying kind 7 77.78%
Pouch 15 100.00%
Baby Bjorn/Baby Trekker type 22 100.00%
Frame back pack 5 55.56%
Other (I know you'll tell me about more! =) ) 11 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 04-29-2003, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, the last time I started a similar thread, I was looking for a new sling type carrier but wasn't very clear and that was a good thing. I learned about a ton of carriers from all you smart moms! So now I'm just wondering what *type* of carrier you like the best. =)

~Melissa
#2 of 47 Old 04-29-2003, 11:12 AM

My favorite type of carrier is the long fabric kind that wraps over both shoulders.

I have an ultimate baby wrap, but would LOVE a didymos!!
#3 of 47 Old 04-29-2003, 01:04 PM

Well, I chose the Baby Bjorn because that was the only carrier I had for Jonny(it was given to me). I wanted a sling, but I'm petite, and I couldn't find one that would fit me for under $50.
#4 of 47 Old 04-30-2003, 12:31 AM

We use a mayawrap sling and LOVE it! Baby loves it as well....
#5 of 47 Old 04-30-2003, 04:20 AM

I have a kissasling wich has a padded shoulder, but no padding in the sling. We love it.
#6 of 47 Old 04-30-2003, 04:32 AM

I go back and forth between my maya wrap (no padding) and my Love Sling (over the shoulder baby holder) with all padding. Lots of padding is nice for my very big toddler when she want to cuddle, but when she was younger (she is 19 months now) I preferred a padless sling, especially when nursing. I find myself using the maya wrap more these days because she is in and out of it so much instead of just hanging out for long periods. Plus the maya wrap has a pocket in it and doubles as my purse

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#7 of 47 Old 04-30-2003, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I would say a wrap around carrier, but it depends on the age of the child. I loved my Didymos when DS was little. I used the Cross Carry and was able to carry him almost constantly with both ands free. He was put down for diaper changes and for the odd few minutes, but mostly I wore him through out the day. He slept in the Didymos, nursed in the Didymos, in fact he lived in the Didymos his first five months on this planet, until he began sitting independently and crawling.

Once they get older, 7 or 8 months when they are really mobile and like to explore a bit on their own, I think it is easier to carry them on your hip because they like to be in and out. I also didn't find the Didymos as comfortable as a regular sling with the hip carry, so I would go for a ring sling that has a slight about of padding. I found the OTSBH a littled too padded for me though. I also liked to carry them on my back for when I need two hands free and for naps. So then I could recommend a backcarrier like the Ergo or the Packababy. It holds them close to your back and keeps the secure and I find them way more comfortable than a frame style backpack. My youngest is now three but I still carry him on my back now and then.

Deborah

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 47 Old 04-30-2003, 02:50 PM

The Mayawrap was my favorite for ds #1. I used it with him until he was almost 2 yrs. I'm planning on using it with this next baby.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 47 Old 05-01-2003, 11:33 AM

We loved our OTSBH; Delia would sit facing forward with her legs crossed and hold onto the padded rail to "steer". The padding made me feel secure that I wouldn't lose my tiny one (less than 20 pounds at 2 yrs).
If I had another, tho', I have to admit I'd look into some other slings, just like I'd look into other diapers...the New Native looks cool to me!
#10 of 47 Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 AM

I just got a kabuki carrier. I'd have to say it's my favorite, though my baby is still little (5 weeks) and we just got it on monday. but I've used an OTSBH with other kids that I've cared for, and hated what it does to my shoulders and back. also didn't work too well for long legged babies in the upright position.

the kabuki carrier is a trad. japanese design, a long peice of fabric with a padded center that wraps in a criss-cross fashion over the soulders. you can wear it at least 4 different ways and works from birth through toddler. it's very stylish too, mine is a red batik print.

I found mine at a website called peppermint.com (not sure of the exact url) which also has other rad carriers from around the world.

we also have a mayawrap, prolly my favorite sling.

-Lau
#11 of 47 Old 05-01-2003, 12:41 PM

Maya Wrap.

mamapixie, mine was $29 brand new, just a few months ago, and they come in small sizes ...
#12 of 47 Old 05-01-2003, 02:43 PM

I can see that I'm going to be a sling hyena too and not just a diaper hyena. ag

That peppermint site is cool, I'm checking it out right now.

Back on topic, I love my Khanga sling. It has a padded shoulder and rails in a cool fabric. I think I'll like it this summer because the fabric is thin. I got mine NIP on eBay for $16 BIN, they retail for $43.50.

I'm interested in a Maya wrap and some of the tie ones too. I also have a New Native Baby Carrier, but prefer it for the toddler because it's not adjustable and my newborn is so tiny.
#13 of 47 Old 05-01-2003, 10:41 PM

Love, love, love my maya wrap!!! As big as ds is it has been a life saver! We also have a frame backpack for dd. I've wanted a fleece pouch, but have held back. I did, however, make a "fomal" sling for my brother's wedding. It's my fancy sling.

Angela: Mum to 3 & wife to the man in the funny suit.

#14 of 47 Old 05-02-2003, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

I just want you all to know that it's your fault! I'm a carrier-aholic now! =)

I have my NoJo, DH uses is mostly. I have a Kissasling, love it. I used the Bjorn for a while when DS was lighter and loved it too. I've now got a Maya pouch on it's way. I can't wait! And I want a Packababy, and I'd love to try the Baby Trekker, and the Ultimate baby wrap looks really cool... *sigh* So many carriers, I'm gonna hafta have more kids! =)

~Melissa
#15 of 47 Old 05-04-2003, 07:56 PM

1. Maya Wrap (unpadded, rings)
2. OTSBH (padded, rings)

First year - just MW sling
2nd year - switched back and forth between the two. I usually favored Maya Wrap.

Photos of us using the sling (me in sunglasses)
http://www.friendlyvillage.com/lotsofslings/

I can't wait to sling another baby!

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#16 of 47 Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 PM

I also love our Maya wrap!! But I also have an organic cotton OTSBH that is so soft and comfy. I am thinking ogf trying the Ergo next.
#17 of 47 Old 05-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Banned

I made my own sling 24 years ago and used it for my 3 children and several children I have cared for. To find directions for a similar sling, go to www.google.com and type in sew baby sling. You can make the sling for less than $5 in less than an hour in a variety of fabrics. I always make them for gifts.
#18 of 47 Old 05-09-2003, 02:55 PM

We've had a maya since munchkin was born, but he's never been a sling baby like some. I use it for taking the dog out and when he's sleepy, but that's about all he'll stand. However, I just go the Ergo and he LOVES it. It's a bit tricky to get on, but it's getting easier and once it's on it's great.
#19 of 47 Old 06-24-2003, 04:43 PM

I love my New Native pouch! But now that my DD is going on five months and doesn't always want to be in the cradle hold, I am trying to figure out what to try next. I am looking at the Ergo carrier. I have a Maya wrap but haven't figured it out yet. I am not sure I like all that extra fabric.
#20 of 47 Old 06-24-2003, 08:38 PM

I love my new native too. My dd will be 2 mo. old tomorrow and has never liked the cradle hold, but likes being able to "sit" in it so that she can see. I also have a baby bjorn and like that on warmer days.

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#21 of 47 Old 06-24-2003, 09:43 PM

I had a Snugglie (like a Baby Bjorn) and a friend loaned me a sling. Sam only liked the Snugglie for a bit and the sling was okay most of the time. The one I used had a padded shoulder and sides. If were to have another child, I would defintely try on a bunch of slings to see which fit me best.

We now use a Tough Traveler frame pack for Sam. He is 3 1/2 and likes that he can see everything. I love the Tough Traveler. Very well made and they have two sizes , so if you are under 5'6" there is one that fits well.
#22 of 47 Old 06-25-2003, 10:11 PM

doesn't sound u can get much wear out of the NN. After the nb stage u need to change?
#23 of 47 Old 06-25-2003, 10:19 PM

Wannabemommie,
You can use the NN past the newborn stage. It is just that the pouch is not adjustable, so it may not suit a baby at every age. I plan to use my NN more again when my DD is older and wants to sit on my hip. I think she is too loose when I try to face her out. I am having to keep one hand on her at all times. She only likes the cradle hold when she is sleepy and wants to nurse. Maybe other mamas don't have this problem... I can only speak from my experience. It is still my favorite sling.
#24 of 47 Old 06-25-2003, 10:31 PM

thanks lunabellamama! I see we're from the same state!

seems like asheville and chapel hill are the crunchy cities here! maybe I should check out chapel hill, I might be able to find some local stuff!
#25 of 47 Old 06-26-2003, 06:35 PM

I voted "no padding" before I saw that you listed "knot tying". I just got a didymos today and am IN LOVE!!!!!!! I know, it's awfully expensive, but boy oh boy, is it great. I've been using the maya wrap since ds was a couple of weeks old (he's now 5 months), and it's also been great, but I am now a total didymos convert.
#26 of 47 Old 06-26-2003, 10:23 PM

ERGO - ERGO - ERGO - ERGO - ERGO

because it is cross-functional and comfortable in every position - front carry, back carry, hip carry. the only thing it can't do is sling and w/her just turning 7 mos, i don't slinging much anymore anyway.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#27 of 47 Old 06-26-2003, 10:48 PM

We love our New Native Baby Carrier for our newborn. I also have a maya wrap, and I found that it didn't support DS's head very well. The NN is just so very cozy, and DS *loves* it.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#28 of 47 Old 06-28-2003, 01:02 AM

you didn't mention the open tail option. I prefer padding on both shoulder and rails, but will take a maya wrap over otsbh anyday because of the open tail...which is the key factor for me. My sling has both an open tail and the padding.

(I have a huge collection and teach classes in sling wearing, so feel free to pm with questions about different kinds.)
#29 of 47 Old 06-28-2003, 09:37 AM

can you post any more q & a's here, cindi and melissa? I'd be interested in hearing...there are so many choice : which is a *good* thing;but, like dipes---*decisions*! :

I at *least* have decided I might be a no rings girl and leaning towards a pouch.....not having tried....just by looking at them.
#30 of 47 Old 06-29-2003, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I use my MayaWrap a lot now, and get a lot of attention because of it too. I love the pocket! Too nifty! I have a little blurb I typed up and keep in there to had out to moms/moms to be.

Slings are great! Your baby can ride in one from the day s/he is born to when s/he is 35-50lbs depending on the sling. You can wear your baby in many different positions and can even discretely nurse while the baby is in the sling. Wearing your baby is a great way to spend time with your little one and allows him/her to see what is going on. It gives you an extra pair of hands so you can get stuff done too! It is highly recommended by advocates of Attachment Parenting (a style that promotes meeting the needs of your baby to help him/her become a strong, caring adult) such as Dr. William Sears.

The differences I have found in slings are based on these features:
* Padding: Some have padding on the shoulder and railing; others on one or the other; even others have none. Padding may (or may not!) be more comfortable for the wearer. It also adds bulk, makes it hotter, and can be more difficult to get the sling as snug as you like.
* Ring: Some have a nylon ring (harder to loosen which is good for not slipping, but more difficult getting the baby out), others have metal.
* Tail: Some are sewn together (no flapping in the wind), others are loose (great for covering while nursing; also allows for a more specific fit since you can tighten the top/bottom/middle of the sling independent of the rest of it).

You can find NoJo slings (padding on the railing and shoulder, nylon ring, sewn tail) at Johnsons for Children. I have not seen another type available in stores, I have had to purchase mine online.

Some web sites that sell slings are:
* www.peppermint.com (large variety!)
* www.heart2heart.on.ca
* www.mayawrap.com
* www.kissaluvs.com
* www.naturalbabies.com (where I have purchased mine, great customer service here and inexpensive shipping!)

Other non-sling type carriers
* www.babytrekker.com
* www.packababy.com

I realize how biased I am. Can you guess what type of padding I like? =) And I love NaturalBabies even though they sell more diapers than slings, I thought I'd give 'em a plug. =) I should start making a commission! =) Or, I need to start sewing my own slings and selling them! DS is the greatest model. =)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page