High fat/high calorie food suggestions for low weight baby - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is below the charts in weight. For the most part I'm not worried because this was his dad's growth pattern. However, I'm wanting to provide him with good quality foods in addition to the breastmilk he's getting. He LOVES to eat, so I'm looking for more food suggestions. He ate half an avacado yesterday. What are other good quality/good fat foods. He's just 9 mo this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Avocado, black olives, oils. We use oil in Evan's food (just started that), but he's older. We did try when he was about your dc's age, but we think he was reacting to the oil we were using so we stopped. I've been giving him a little pudding lately I made w/ coconut milk, but I wouldn't give that to your baby yet. It's high fat though, lol. Evan fell off the charts at 8 mos, but is 5 and 8% now at 2.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#3 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 01:47 PM

I also have a low weight baby (only 14 pounds 2 oz at ten months of age....born 7 pounds 11 oz).

Hummus made with olive oil
Avacodo
Add olive oil or butter to things like tiny pieces of toast or on noodles
Egg yolk (providing no one in the family has egg allergies)
Pancakes
Tortellini
Cheese

Okay, mine is a work in progress.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 PM

Two of my dc have dairy allergies, so I feel uncomfortable recommending any kind of dairy at 9 months...but I totally agree with the avocado, hummus and olive suggestions. I wonder about small tastes of tahini? Sesame seeds are of the "good" fat variety but I don't know if it's okay for a 9 mo.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#5 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 PM

My first thought, avocado.
#6 of 12 Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM

I think that all seeds and nuts are a watchout for the same reason you listed regarding dairy...they are a high risk for allergies. We love avocado and olive oil on everything. Dd also loves egg yolk, so I make a egg salad with just the yolks and do it "Italian style" with olive oil, a little vinegar, and whatever seasoning you like, then spread it on toast or crackers. Yummy!
#7 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 04:56 AM

Hi

the peach 80, what was the reaction your baby had after eating oil????

My doctor recommended that i start feeding my babe high fat foods at 9 months because, although he is quite large (lean and tall), he is having a hard time putting on weight recently. Anyway i started adding olive oil to his foods (just a teaspoon) and feeding him lots of avocado and i started to notice large grease stains on his diaper, mainly after eating avocado. I cut out the olive oil but still notice grease stains after he eats high fat foods like avocado (other things too though). Our doc says it is because i feed him too much fiber. do any of your childern have large grease stains on the diapers after eating avocado??? It is basically a grey colorless stain that feels and looks very greasy. It saturates the diaper and sometimes even soaks through to the other side (unlike water). Sometimes i notice an orange grease stain too.

sdmoose did your dc have any strange stools after eating half an avocado that you noticed (i know what a question eh? stools are almost always strange lol)

I also try to avoid dairy (and wheat) but have caved on occasion and fed him small amounts of both. Could these grease stains be caused by a milk protien allergy?

thank you so much for sharing your experiences! I am dying to know if you've ever seen anything similar among your childern!
#8 of 12 Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM

Do you have access to the actual charts?

I did a quick google search on "baby growth charts" and there are a few charts out there. One says my dd is in the 15th percentile for weight and age and another says she is in the 5th percentile. She was 5 lbs at birth and in the 5th percentile then. At two months, she was in the 5th percentile. We do not do doctor visits though so she hasn't had a check up since she was two months.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#9 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My ds is below the "5th percentile" according to the calculator I just checked from a google search.

karre: I didn't notice any weird stool after the avocado. I will take more notice next time. LOL. I'm guessing what you are seeing is the fat that didn't absorb through the intestines. I know people with celiac sprue have greasy stools...but my guess is that in an infant it's probably just immature GI system? That's just my best guess....
#10 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 01:25 AM

Karre, Evan was a special case and pretty much reacted to everything and actually ended up on rx formula b/c of it. I was using cold pressed oil which has proteins in it so we're thinking that was it. HIs reactions (long time ago, trying to remember) where probably just his basic screaming all the time, not sleeping, reflux flares, mucousy diapers. I've never noticed any grease spots and I'm having a hard time really imagining what you're talking about. Sorry. Now the kids have had mucous in their diapers which just looks like snot basically and that is often a sign of a food intolerance.

#11 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Hey guys,

thanks for the responses. Also please let me know if any of you notice grease stains on your child's diapers. My son has this consistintly after he eats fat. and i would really like to know if this is normal or not in breast fed 1 yr olds. Here is what to look for. After eating avocado: a colorless grey stain which soaks into the diaper liner and even saturates it and appears as a grey stain on the outside of the diaper. Water does not do this. The stool has sort of shiny appearence and is very soft but does not stick to either the diaper or my little one's bum. Instead a greasy residue comes off babe's bum on the wipe and the stool just sort of peels off the diaper leaving behind the greasy stain. It also gets really flat (the stool) and thin like a pancake or something.
The stool tends to spread out over the whole backside of the diaper.

Sometimes, after eating other high fat foods, the grease stain is yellow or orange instead of grey but again it is a stain that soaks into the diaper liner instead of sitting on the top of the diaper liner.

Thanks

please, please let me know if you see this! My doc does not seem to believe me and she says although grease is abnormal in stool it might be because my son eats so many veggies that i notice this. She wants to wait to see if his growth continues to decline before doing any tests. i am so sick of worrying about this. I just want some reassurance that this is either normal or not so i know what i should do. (ie consult another doctor)
#12 of 12 Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 PM

Sounds like a possible malabsorption problem.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page