Birth Announcements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am I a total lame-o for not doing these? It just seems like a lot of time and postage to announce what we already told everyone in phone calls and emails.
#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 PM

I would add something, like a picture with what ever info you want to share, to any holiday cards you might be sending out. It's probably the same list anyway. That's what I did when my daughter was born two years ago.
#3 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 PM

I printed beautiful newborn pictures of my DD (4x6 pics at the walmart 1 hr lab), printed labels with her birth stats (name, date w/time, weight, length, our names, etc) that I stuck on the back, and included them in thank you notes.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#4 of 9 Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wanted to, I just never got around to it. Yeah, I feel kind of bad, but I was busy and everyone knew the stats and saw the pics already (and WOULDN'T LEAVE OUR HOUSE) . . . so I didn't see it as a big deal.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#5 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 12:23 PM

MIL and I had extensive disagreements about birth announcements. I told her that if she needs to grub for gifts she can go ahead and send them but where I'm from they aren't done. I sent a photo of dd in our christmas cards and photos with thank you notes. I think announcements are a waste of $$ and time, just one more thing americans are told we NEED to buy.
#6 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't even thought of them until my SIL offered to do them with her Stampin Up stuff. That's SOOOO not my bag, so I said thanks but I had another idea, and I did, but I never got around to doing it. Now we're into the holidays and I haven't gotten anything pulled together. So at this point I'm thinking that we might send out Happy New Year's cards w/ the little man's picture, etc...I just wonder if it would be old news by then. DS was born at the end of October and, in my defense, spent his first week in the NICU. Birth announcements really fell down my list of priorities, as you might imagine.
#7 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM

We put together a "Baby's First Christmas" Photo with her stats (she was born in Oct) to go in the holiday cards. Now I just need to do the cards!
#8 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 PM
WNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin M View Post
MIL and I had extensive disagreements about birth announcements. I told her that if she needs to grub for gifts she can go ahead and send them but where I'm from they aren't done. I sent a photo of dd in our christmas cards and photos with thank you notes. I think announcements are a waste of $$ and time, just one more thing americans are told we NEED to buy.
I don't think of a birth announcement as "grubbing for gifts" at all. I made ours, wrote a note to each person we sent them to, and will treasure the one we saved as a keepsake. I thought it was a nice way to send the big news to friends and family with whom I don't communicate normally via phone or email, but who are still loved and appreciated.

If receiving news of the birth of someone else's child makes you feel resentful and "grubbed" for a gift, I think you need to be a little more open to sharing the joys of life with others.
#9 of 9 Old 12-15-2006, 10:42 PM

I planned on doing it before dd was born, but once that happened, it seemed ridiculously impossible while caring for a newborn. I ended up sending a CD of the music we played at her birth to a few select important people who I knew would appreciate it. And they did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page