Stuffy nose at night only? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter (who will be 5 weeks old on Wednesday), has a stuffy nose every night. She wakes up rubbing it, sniffling, and generally getting frustrated from not being able to breathe easily. I know it's not due to a cold, because during the day she is fine...it's just at night. I'm thinking it has something to do with lying down for a few hours at a time (during the day, we're always holding/carrying her around, so she changes position very often)...could that be it? Has anyone experienced this? It's upsetting for me since I feel helpless when she's so uncomfortable. What can I do about it? We use a humidifier (set on high) every night, so it's not dry air either...

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#2 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 AM

Can sometimes be caused by reflux. I have reflux myself and tend to get stuffier in the night hours.

Maybe dry air at night?? Could you turn your heat down a little more when you all go to bed??

#3 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 01:58 AM

I experienced this in the early weeks with DS. You are right that it is not a cold. Their little bodies just take time to get used this new word. In australis we have a product called Fess. It is saline nose drops and it helps keep things soft and enables them to come out. It has been great over the passed 8mths. Hope this helps.
#4 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 02:03 AM

I second the saline nose drops. It keeps their little nasal passages moist. Are you co-sleeping? You may be able to stick a wedge under the sheet that will elevate her head slightly.

DC
#5 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I have heard of saline drops as well, and was considering using them. Are they JUST saline, or do they have all kinds of additives? And would I have to get a special type just for babies? Kylena, I'm not sure if we have Fess here, but I will check. I guess I'll ask my pharmacist for recommendations.

We are mostly co-sleeping. She sleeps in her bassinet when I first put her down, and then I stay up a bit longer, and when she wakes up the first time for a feed, I bring her into bed with me, and we sleep until morning. Usually she sleeps with my arm under her head, so her head seems to be elevated.

Thanks again!

#6 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 AM

DD has the same trouble, there have been a few nights when I had to turn the light on at 4am to suck her nose out because she couldn't breathe through it well enough to nurse. We use Little Noses brand saline, nothing but saline and water in it. I'm stuffy at night too, I always figure it has something to do with laying down for so long. I was afraid to use the nasal aspirator for the longest time, I assumed it would make her cry, in fact she loves it and laughs at the thing.
#7 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpeace View Post
Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I have heard of saline drops as well, and was considering using them. Are they JUST saline, or do they have all kinds of additives? And would I have to get a special type just for babies? Kylena, I'm not sure if we have Fess here, but I will check. I guess I'll ask my pharmacist for recommendations.

We are mostly co-sleeping. She sleeps in her bassinet when I first put her down, and then I stay up a bit longer, and when she wakes up the first time for a feed, I bring her into bed with me, and we sleep until morning. Usually she sleeps with my arm under her head, so her head seems to be elevated.

Thanks again!
I've got a homemade recipe for the saline solution if you want it (no additives). Got to go but will check back later if you want me to post it and I will.

DC
#8 of 11 Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Dallaschildren, yes please!

Erin, good idea with the aspirator...does it really work if the "nose contents" are super dry, or do you spray the saline first, wait a while, and then aspirate? BTW, I checked out your album, and it seems like we have a few things in common...our daughters were the same weight at birth, we both picked uncommon, old-fashioned names for them, we have cats that are also getting less attention, I have a similar hotsling, and both our dd's have blue eyes and brownish hair...weird how I noticed these things!

#9 of 11 Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 PM

I usually give her a drop of saline on each side and then go "snot fishing" with the aspirator. I'm sure every nose is different, dd stores her boogers way up high, it takes a few sucks to tease the sticky little things down.

I can't believe I'm spending my saturday morning discussing baby boogers. Ah motherhood.

I'm very interested in the homemade saline recipe too!
#10 of 11 Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Are you nursing while lying down? I had the same problem, only stuffy at night. Then one night I noticed that excess milk she wasn't able to swallow was actually going from around her lips up her nose making her stuffy. Maybe because supply increases at night?
#11 of 11 Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 PM

I know another poster already mentioned reflux--does she have any of the other symptoms (choking, spitting up, gassiness)? Stuffiness is normal in the beginning, like others said, but not for very long I don't think. Just keep an eye out for possible reflux.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page