June 2006 Mamas- New Year! New thread! Let the chat begin!!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
deal!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#362 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 04:43 PM

#363 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post

:

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#364 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

ok, who ever did the BRICK house. I now have a "Hum Job" Cant get it out of my friggen head. :

We go in next week for MAggies visit. Actaully this whole month is Drs visits. We had to go to follow ups for Maggie for nicu, ped, rsv shot, eyes, and I hope thats it! Plus I go to get a mole removed next week from my chin. Nothing serious, but its gotten bigger the last few years. Then of course dentist for us and Liz. I also need to get a physical to update my medical record for my dd's preschool. We are involved in a coop preschool so I need info on record. I think what happend was Maggie had some follow ups in Sept and Oct and they all said- Ok, come back after the 1st of the year! and bamn! here we are. :

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#365 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM

I believe that was Heather with the Brick House song...

Yum.. All right! I so need to actually pay attention to what I am eating more often. A lovely tuna with avocado, tomato, lettuce. Yum. And fresh fruit (cause the line for french fries was too long )

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#366 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 PM

my ddddc changed! Almost didn't notice since the first part was still there. :

#367 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Ok so I know I said that Elijah has had banana and avocado but only little bits. Tastes, if you will. I don't really think he's ready for food though. At least, that's what he's showing me. He's more into just exploring with the food. Sucking on it (banana) here and there and just playing around.

Is anyone else liking the idea of self-feeding as much as I am? I read those articles (that Helen posted) yesterday and now I'm not afraid of choking. Well, I think I'll always (in the back of my mind) be slightly afraid of choking... but I guess I just understand more than I did. My only dilemma now is figuring out how he can eat all raw. I would like him to start out that way but how am I supposed to give him things like broccoli or carrots raw? Oh well. Maybe I'll have to cook them until he is older and really able to eat harder foods.
#368 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 PM

no raw carrot yet unless it is grated maybe, I think it's later though 8 months?

#369 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM

So I really want to make a CD to sing with the baby. I like all of the suggestions.

I also like Hey Babe by Neil Young.

and my cry song right now is Landslide by Fleetwood Mac or is is just Stevie Nicks? But you know what I mean. The whole even children get older thing kills me and I am crying on my way to work. Sap!
#370 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post
So I really want to make a CD to sing with the baby. I like all of the suggestions.

and my cry song right now is Landslide by Fleetwood Mac or is is just Stevie Nicks? But you know what I mean. The whole even children get older thing kills me and I am crying on my way to work. Sap!
Um ya, love that song. I "believe" it's just Stevie Nicks. Hmm..thinking of some songs...

Oh and Lindsey, we tried the back-carry today. Elijah fell asleep in it after awhile. I was able to get alot done w/ him in it before my mom came over.
#371 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7 View Post
Is anyone else liking the idea of self-feeding as much as I am? I read those articles (that Helen posted) .
I am on board but its really self throwing and body paint to Maggie. She really plays with it more and I am also afraid of her shoveling too much in and choking.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#372 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM

we're doing all self feeding. i'll give her some on my finger to see how she likes it, but otherwise it's up to her. most of it stays on the highchair.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#373 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM

I'm on my second week of it. I loved that link. It really made sense to me, and it is working out well so far. I'm not worried about him choking because, as the site said, he can't release his grip to let anything too large or too small in there. And I have watched him spit out anything he hasn't wanted so far.

Bananas are a big hit at the moment. I give him a half of one at a time. He now eats nearly all of it. I gave him a half cucumber yesterday - not a hit! He kind of likes a lightly steamed apple. H elikes broccoli. I also tried a good-sized piece of white meat chicken, and that was not a hit yet either.

And he definitely throws or drops the food.
#374 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
Now she just drew blood out of her own bottom lip. She rolled over, and sort of missed whatever she was trying to do and immediately flipped back the way she came, and started freaking out. I thought she was scared, but then I noticed her bottom lip has a blood spot and is all swollen. I was right next to her. Wouldn't nurse, wouldn't calm down until we called daddy on speakerphone. Gee, I am really effective, eh? She's on my lap sucking on a pear out of the fridge. I guess the cold feels good. Poor baboo. I should get her teeth filed like in a Dickens novel. I'll also teach her to pickpocket while I'm at it.
Poor baby! That's no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
We go in next week for MAggies visit. Actaully this whole month is Drs visits. We had to go to follow ups for Maggie for nicu, ped, rsv shot, eyes, and I hope thats it! Plus I go to get a mole removed next week from my chin. Nothing serious, but its gotten bigger the last few years. Then of course dentist for us and Liz. I also need to get a physical to update my medical record for my dd's preschool. We are involved in a coop preschool so I need info on record. I think what happend was Maggie had some follow ups in Sept and Oct and they all said- Ok, come back after the 1st of the year! and bamn! here we are. :
That's what April is gonna be like for us. Sam has cardiologist, NICU clinic, opthamologist, urologist follow-ups, Jackson has a urologist appointment, Victoria has surgery, the girls and I have dentist appointments...: I know I'm forgetting something.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I believe that was Heather with the Brick House song...

Yum.. All right! I so need to actually pay attention to what I am eating more often. A lovely tuna with avocado, tomato, lettuce. Yum. And fresh fruit (cause the line for french fries was too long )
That sounds really good. I just had a leftover artichoke for dinner. I love artichokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post

I'm gonna go with Lisa on this one and say it's just Stevie Nicks...oh no, we're wrong!

The music and lyrics were written by Stevie Nicks, and it was originally performed by Fleetwood Mac, and can be found on their White Album from 1975. Then, it was covered by:
o Landslide by Ginny Reilly (1985)
o Landslide by The Smashing Pumpkins (October 4, 1994)
o Landslide by Dixie Chicks (2002)
o Landslide by David Tolk (March 25, 2003)
I Google.

My fave songs to sing to Sam are:
I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song by Jim Croce
Baby, Now That I've Found You by Alison Krauss
I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers by Alison Krauss (I've got a thing for AK)

There's more, but I love those.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#375 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 PM

good, good song choices mamas ... I'll all weepy and sentimental tonight ... or perhaps just mental :

I've always like Tori Amos' cover of Thank You, too.

Of course lately I've been singing Lucinda Williams "I Lost It" to myself ... but I think that's just the effects of parenthood

Amy & Sara, it is so awesome to see your girls hitting these milestones! Here's to super growing June ddc preemies who defy all the odds!!!! My Boo was not a preemie, but was born with heart murmurs and has her last pediatric cardiologist appointment at age six, this year (if all continues to go well, as it has every year past ... counting my blessings!). We've had to go annually for tests after the first year and I can't tell you how happy I'll be to never have to go back! I always have, of course, appreciated all her great caregivers, but also always felt like "just give me my baby back and let us go on with normal life" and I can imagine that is about 100 fold for you mamas

Well, mamas, I'll check in with you all over the weekend. I, for one, am glad not to have any holiday plans this weekend!

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#376 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 PM

I love Alison krauss. Lately Lori makenna.

:

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#377 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
I'm on my second week of it. I loved that link. It really made sense to me, and it is working out well so far. I'm not worried about him choking because, as the site said, he can't release his grip to let anything too large or too small in there. And I have watched him spit out anything he hasn't wanted so far.

Bananas are a big hit at the moment. I give him a half of one at a time. He now eats nearly all of it. I gave him a half cucumber yesterday - not a hit! He kind of likes a lightly steamed apple. H elikes broccoli. I also tried a good-sized piece of white meat chicken, and that was not a hit yet either.

And he definitely throws or drops the food.
I gave Elijah a chunk of banana tonight and he actually bit a piece off. I mean, a BIG piece. I had to take it out of his mouth. It surprised me. I don't think I'm gonna even attempt to use a spoon anymore. I have a few times and he just tries to get it and chew on it, which turns into gagging himself.

Ok, now to console a little girl whose sad that her gramma had to leave.
#378 of 1645 Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7 View Post
I gave Elijah a chunk of banana tonight and he actually bit a piece off. I mean, a BIG piece. I had to take it out of his mouth. It surprised me. I don't think I'm gonna even attempt to use a spoon anymore. I have a few times and he just tries to get it and chew on it, which turns into gagging himself.

Ok, now to console a little girl whose sad that her gramma had to leave.
Sam actually surprised me with the spoon tonight. I was giving her pureed sweet potatoes, and she grabbed the spoon, licked it clean, and stuck it back in the bowl to get more. Of course she got it in her hair, her eyelashes, and on her nose before making it back to her mouth, but it was fun to watch. She seemed to enjoy it. She's such a goober.

She slept from 9-7:30 last night, straight through. Apparently she sleeps best when it's HOT in her room. Like 75 or 80 degrees. Gag. Thank goodness for space heaters. She won't sleep with us, 'cause she thrashes and flails and screams until we put her in her own bed (maybe from sleeping by herself in her "box" for the first month of her life?), so it's easier to control the temperature. If we had to keep the whole house that hot, I'd die, pregnant or not. I do not do heat well.

And Kara, thanks! We're pretty proud of her too. Amazing that she's grown 600% in the last 8 months. And I know how nerve-wracking the heart defects are! The ONE day I couldn't be in the NICU (was running a low-grade fever and wasn't allowed in) was the day they did her echo and discovered the two holes. Thankfully the holes closed by her second month of life, but I'm pretty sure that was one of the worst days of our journey.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#379 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

the only heart issue we had was the PDA which closed after 3 rounds of the meds thankfully so she didnt need surgery! But wow that was the scariest part up until then.

So we are planning Maggie's bday party. Trying to decide where but need a head count so far. We are going to invite her primary nurse, our ped, most likely her neos plus a few family friends, and our families. A big party and flowing champagne... I hope we can keep a strong head because we have some speeches to make if the Drs come etc to everyone. Also we are donating $215 (get it, her bday) to the hospital.

#380 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Wow I can't belive Maggie is almost 1! Were does time go?:

Now I'm singing brick house! You gotta stop.

So I'm trying to eat healthier today I have eaten 3 clementines and a whole wheat eng muffin w/ pb. 6 triscuits with guacamole,1 can of tuna(thanks angie)nothing added,and dinner beef stroganoff about the same amount that I fed the boys,that hate when I make this. And then I ate 4 more clementines.causse I'm hungry or borde as I'm at work .

What I fealy want is sin sticks! But no more sugar for me,my skin is bahaveing badly. I need a facial and a massage.

#381 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkbar View Post

#382 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I hope we can keep a strong head because we have some speeches to make if the Drs come etc to everyone. Also we are donating $215 (get it, her bday) to the hospital.

Aww, :
#383 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 03:13 AM

That's so cool Amy! : Man, 1 year birthday party... That went by so quickly...

So, that friend of mine who is going to circ her kid? She just informed me that SHE can understand the AIDS/Africa study because SHE and HER HUSBAND have science degrees. I wrote her back. Who wants to be my guinea pig and read the correspondence? I'll PM ya... I admit, I do get mad while discussing it sometimes though....

Helen, Jonah just put himself to sleep by snuggling in my arm and playing with my lip. Whatever works..

So, any hints as to the ddddc???

#384 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 03:15 AM

It was actually really good too!
And I'm breaking out like crazy myself... I'm hoping it means AF is coming cause I haven't been that bad... Mostly sticking to pretzels and trail mix lately for snacks....

I only had a few oreos... And they were the mini ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmama View Post
So I'm trying to eat healthier today I have eaten 3 clementines and a whole wheat eng muffin w/ pb. 6 triscuits with guacamole,1 can of tuna(thanks angie)nothing added,and dinner beef stroganoff about the same amount that I fed the boys,that hate when I make this. And then I ate 4 more clementines.causse I'm hungry or borde as I'm at work .

What I fealy want is sin sticks! But no more sugar for me,my skin is bahaveing badly. I need a facial and a massage.

#385 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Ange - I kan reed gud cuz I have a journalism degree! No, wait, I don't want to read it. It will just make my head pop off and fly around the room like a deflating balloon. Who needs that? Studies can be very flawed tools. That one does nothing to address the root causes of the issue!
#386 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 09:55 AM

This morning Harper woke up covered in poop and continued pooping for like five minutes while on the changing table Daddy always changes her in the morning, SCORE! She is so teething. We're back to those wacky poos like right before teeth come out. Poor baby. She does everything rather...intensely.

I get to go out for sushi and go shopping like people today. Uh. I will use my gift card to buy jammies for the tall baby.

Amy, that's a great donation idea!

Nicole, that doesn't sound like enough food! No wonder you are hungry. Have you ever eaten the meals at Life Alive? So good. Come have lunch with me soon!
#387 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
That's so cool Amy! : Man, 1 year birthday party... That went by so quickly...

So, that friend of mine who is going to circ her kid? She just informed me that SHE can understand the AIDS/Africa study because SHE and HER HUSBAND have science degrees. I wrote her back. Who wants to be my guinea pig and read the correspondence? I'll PM ya... I admit, I do get mad while discussing it sometimes though....
oh pm me!
#388 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 PM

We did the whole "Thank you speech" thing at Brenna's second birthday party. She was supposed to have surgery that month to correct her heart defect, but when she went in for the first pre-op visit three months earlier, the aorta was correcting itself! So no surgery.

But the speech, how hard. I cried like a baby. Actually, most people cried. At her first birthday we were not out of the woods yet, so the second birthday was our "Oh how thankeful we are now" feelings. It was wonderful, I know exactly how you are feeling now. All our thoughts are with you guys!
#389 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I can get upset too. I had a pretty heated discussion with my sister about this and some other things a while back. It was when we found out that my brother was having a boy and I said to her, "Ya, I'll be happy if they don't circ." And she immediantely went into defense mode and was like, "WHY?! I'm gonna circ!" UGH! Ok keep in mind, that she's done ZERO ammount of research and when I told her that we weren't circing her only questions to me were, "Well, what about when he has g/f's?" and "What about when he's in gym class." Anyways, I took the few minutes I had to once again, try and educate her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
This morning Harper woke up covered in poop and continued pooping for like five minutes while on the changing table Daddy always changes her in the morning, SCORE! She is so teething. We're back to those wacky poos like right before teeth come out. Poor baby. She does everything rather...intensely.
Elijah woke up covered in pee. The 1st time we tried using a FB for nighttime. What else is everyone using for nighttimes? We have one HH that's good paired with an airflow cover and when that's dirty we were using hemp and wool but they're both getting small. Soooo, I need a solution. Any suggestions? I should also add that he has become a super heavy wetter at nighttime and I would change him in the middle of the night but he never wakes up so neither do I. I don't understand how he can be so wet in the mornings and STILL have a smile on his face and be all excited. It's mind boggling I tell ya.
#390 of 1645 Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

We use the fbs w two microterry inserts and works real well. BUT Maggie is not a heavy peeier (is that a word?/)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page