June 2006 Mamas- New Year! New thread! Let the chat begin!!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2007, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
Well she's a brick.....HOUSE....she's mighty mighty, just lettin' it ALL hang out.......

We just got back from K's 6-month wbv, and she's:

27-3/4 in long, 20 pounds 10 ounces.

I suppose this shouldn't surprise me a ton, as DH is a big 'un (6 feet 3+ in). But I'm so short (5 feet)...that I guess it just still surprises me.

Nurse took one look at her undressed ans said, "Now THOSE are some breastfed thighs!" They're a really BF friendly practice, I love it.

Better get back to work, I'll respond to more later.
Wow Chunky Monkey!! How Cute! I got on the scale today with J.C and he weights 17.8 lbs. Both girls were this big at like 10-11mos!! We had to wait a few months to turn them around after they were 1yrs old. But then they were only 5lb 15oz and 5lb 14 oz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
Korin, I didn't know blackbird was your song, too ... I've sang it to Max since his first night ... in fact, get yer' hankies out mamas, but Jillian sings it to him, too. When he's Mr. Crankypants she'll say "blackbird, mama, blackbird" like it is the cure all. Nothing quite so sweet as my big girl holding her brother and softly singing "all your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive ..." She also sings "You are my Sunshine" to him and I'll totally admit to openly crying during that.

We also sing to Max "Grand Master Chunk, gotta have that chunk" ... though, Heather, I have to say that Max is 28 1/2 inches tall, but 19 lbs. 12 oz, so I can only imagine the glorious chunky thighs of a babe an inch shorter and a pound heavier! WONDERFUL! Way to go, mama!

I bet you make up some pretty good songs, too, Korin ... I well remember many of the ttc ballads LOL What a miracle that now you get to sing about little Miss Ruby

There's this BabyBlues cartoon that spoofs that Billy Joel song We Didn't Start the Fire ... I wish I could remember it all, but it is something like "We didn't start out tired, but we're thinking maybe we can blame the baby"
ACK! Im gonna cry! How sweet is that. Im such a sap!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
I make up cheesy song lyrics to whatever we're listening to. She does like her name worked in there. Sometimes I sing "Scream like a baby" by david bowie. Sometimes "Baby screams" by the cure. there's a whole library of baby screaming songs out there! And sometimes we just sing "harper, harper, harper doodles" to "I've been working on the railroad." Someone's in the kitchen with harper...

I'm askared of the top teeth. I just did a gum check since she's super cranky, and she has 4 big white lumps all lined up on the upper deck. Those weren't there a week ago. I guess 4 at once would be rough, but then would it be over for a while? : She's learned to open her mouth to suck down the boiron's camilia, so maybe it's helping.

Interesting that everyone is getting measured. We're, uh, between doctors since I refuse to go back to the rice cereal pushers. I was curious, so I put her down on butcher paper and drew lines and measured. I got 27.5 or 28 inches. No idea how much she weighs. I get 18-19 pounds when I hold her on the scale with me, although that's up for debate. She totally just grew though. 6 month stuff stopped fitting in length, and her face and wrists are fatter. She's got back fat, like a baby seal.
Carson got 6 teeth all at once when she was 6 and 1/2mos old. Of course it had to coincide with Christmas and better yet, our trip to Cali for Christmas with my parents! Yea, that was a fun trip! But although a few weeks are Hell, there's that many less teeth to come.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 AM

BH contractions are annoying. And they tick Jackson off to no end.

That's all.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 01-07-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
: I might snag your billy joel hit! : Isn't it the cutest when the older sings to the younger? C sings My name is Jonas (but he says Jonah sometimes...), Moonshadow and this Korean song about a mountain rabbit or something. Santoki~ not sure if that's right romanization but....

Okay, so um, I am going to have issues today. I am not eating meat today (except fish) and I can't eat dairy. What's a girl to do??? I forgot and didn't bring my appropriate lunch so now I am going to have to try to do something at the cafeteria or something and um, I'm coming up blank. Maybe a tuna sandwich with no cheese.... Can't think of anything else they have to offer...
Hey Ange, why no meat? We've gone to a completely vegetarian household and since I can't have dairy either and Im not much of an egg fan, Im pretty darn close to being a vegan. Which is fine by me. I belong to PETA and when I was 16 I couldn't wait till I turned 18 so I could join Greenpeace! Oh to be young and idealistic again

I've found that eating out is no fun anymore. I used to be veg, but I also ate dairy, so mexican food rocked!! Asian food is pretty much our only dining out choice.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
my ddddc changed! Almost didn't notice since the first part was still there. :

I LOVE it!! Who did it? And its been a pretty long 7 day huh!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7 View Post
I gave Elijah a chunk of banana tonight and he actually bit a piece off. I mean, a BIG piece. I had to take it out of his mouth. It surprised me. I don't think I'm gonna even attempt to use a spoon anymore. I have a few times and he just tries to get it and chew on it, which turns into gagging himself.

Ok, now to console a little girl whose sad that her gramma had to leave.
It just kills me when we leave my inlaws house when we visit and the girls are in the back just bawling!! We're not even down the driveway yet and they're crying "I miss Honey and Papa!" ACK, it makes my heart hurt just thinking about it. Poor little Marley :
Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
the only heart issue we had was the PDA which closed after 3 rounds of the meds thankfully so she didnt need surgery! But wow that was the scariest part up until then.

So we are planning Maggie's bday party. Trying to decide where but need a head count so far. We are going to invite her primary nurse, our ped, most likely her neos plus a few family friends, and our families. A big party and flowing champagne... I hope we can keep a strong head because we have some speeches to make if the Drs come etc to everyone. Also we are donating $215 (get it, her bday) to the hospital.

I can't believe a year has gone by already!!! The donation is awesome!! That'll be a great party! Can't wait to hear what the speeches will be!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I can get upset too. I had a pretty heated discussion with my sister about this and some other things a while back. It was when we found out that my brother was having a boy and I said to her, "Ya, I'll be happy if they don't circ." And she immediantely went into defense mode and was like, "WHY?! I'm gonna circ!" UGH! Ok keep in mind, that she's done ZERO ammount of research and when I told her that we weren't circing her only questions to me were, "Well, what about when he has g/f's?" and "What about when he's in gym class." Anyways, I took the few minutes I had to once again, try and educate her.

Elijah woke up covered in pee. The 1st time we tried using a FB for nighttime. What else is everyone using for nighttimes? We have one HH that's good paired with an airflow cover and when that's dirty we were using hemp and wool but they're both getting small. Soooo, I need a solution. Any suggestions? I should also add that he has become a super heavy wetter at nighttime and I would change him in the middle of the night but he never wakes up so neither do I. I don't understand how he can be so wet in the mornings and STILL have a smile on his face and be all excited. It's mind boggling I tell ya.

I hate when people say they're gonna circ before they even read any research at all!! AARRGGHH!! I sent my dh's cousin, whose having their first child (a boy) in March, a ton of links. Of course I sent her the link to Mothering, Kellymom, a bunch of no-circ sites and info on babywearing, cloth diapering, gentle discipline, and extended breastfeeding. Her email back was kinda curt. It said something like yes, they were thinking of some of those things, but had their own ideas too. HUH?! She was the one that kept asking me for parenting type links! I haven't even come out and asked her if they're circ'ing cuz I don't trust my reponse if they are.

Lisa, we're using Swaddlebees. I just stuff them with an infant prefold and we haven't had any leak issues. Some mornings he wakes up a little damp, but it hasn't been anything that wet the sheets and he doesn't seem bothered by it
Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I love the cucumer rolls. Yum
Asparagus rolls!!!! YUMMO!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know what this spanking business is all about. I was gently disciplined! Redirected, even. :

Sushi was gooooood.

Children's Place has all-cotton no flame retardants zipper feetie jammies for $6 if anyone's interested. I went for the pink jail stripes.

New photos:

The Christmas outfit from great g-ma, obligatory photo wearing. She was swathed in cotton underneath and still broke out in a rash after 15 minutes.

Distrusts water.
Love, Love the new photos!! The bath one is great!

And $6 Childrens Place Jammies!!??? What a deal!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:00 AM

Wow, Andrew's crawling?! I think J.C's about a week away. He gets on all fours and rocks, then tosses himself forward. He's figured out how to move his knees forward, but just can't get the hands to move too. So a nose divin' he's a doin!

Since he turned 6mos old on Tues, I have to get his slide show done. I'll post it by tomorrow night. Now off to have some tv time w/ dh....im tired..yawn

Good night ladies.........oh and I'll be dreaming of sin sticks cuz I know they must be en route to me.....i need chocolate.....
Old 01-07-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies View Post
I LOVE LOVE the Curious George Soundtrack!! Jack Johnson ROCKS!!!!

My kids love everything! It might be cuz between my dh and I (who has an extremely eclectic cd collection) the kids listen to everything from pop punk to indie to classic rock to christian rock and so on. The one genre that I just can't get into is contemporary country. I grew up on old country, like willie nelson, waylon jennings, johnny cash, george jones etc. Thats what my dad always listened to. Now all he listens to is NPR.
I wanna get the Curious George soundtrack... For my kids of course. : And I like contemporary country : I so don't fit in in my family.

Quote:
Hey Ange, why no meat? We've gone to a completely vegetarian household and since I can't have dairy either and Im not much of an egg fan, Im pretty darn close to being a vegan. Which is fine by me. I belong to PETA and when I was 16 I couldn't wait till I turned 18 so I could join Greenpeace! Oh to be young and idealistic again

I've found that eating out is no fun anymore. I used to be veg, but I also ate dairy, so mexican food rocked!! Asian food is pretty much our only dining out choice.
Just for Fridays no meat. Trying to see if I can do it. New years resolution of sorts :

Quote:
I LOVE it!! Who did it? And its been a pretty long 7 day huh!
No one is fessing up yet... Bueller? Bueller? (She said she would keep it up a little bit longer cause of the mistake... but I think she may just be busy...)

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Just for Fridays no meat. Trying to see if I can do it. New years resolution of sorts :
i've decided to fast medjugorje style (bread and water) wednesdays and fridays...it's going pretty well...pm/email me if you ever need support (and let me whine to you too, ok?)

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
this latest shipment went all fakakta (to use a Helenism).
I have to give credit to Yiddish on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
: LOVE it - giving the faucet the stink eye...at a mere 6mo...

Harper makes me smile
Hee hee...does that mean I am totally in for it? This kid has many Opinions.

Quote:
Carson got 6 teeth all at once when she was 6 and 1/2mos old. Of course it had to coincide with Christmas and better yet, our trip to Cali for Christmas with my parents! Yea, that was a fun trip! But although a few weeks are Hell, there's that many less teeth to come.
Yikes..... I guess getting it over with is good. And she'll love biting me even harder.

Quote:
And $6 Childrens Place Jammies!!??? What a deal!
That whole store is on sale. I never go in there and rarely buy new stuff, but man, stuff is like $2-5 in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
i've decided to fast medjugorje style (bread and water) wednesdays and fridays...it's going pretty well...pm/email me if you ever need support (and let me whine to you too, ok?)
Can you get enough calories for nursing that way? I'm assuming it's for religious reasons rather than dieting reasons, but I thought nursing mothers were usually exempt from fasting? I'm having to overhaul my own eating habits as I'm noticing nutritional deficits from removing an entire food group and sort of picking around how I used to eat. The weight comes off and is still coming off more than I like, and I eat a ton when I can. My nails have gotten soft and bend, ugh! Apparently this is a calcium deficiency. I've added a multi each day for backup. So I feel for all you mamas who are also cutting out food groups. Do consider a vitamin if you aren't already. I feel like I'm relearning cooking and nutrition yet again.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Ha, and I only just posted because we were off page 1. Oh, the indignity!

We're going to IKEA in a few. AGAIN. Figuring out their wardrobe system requires a degree in SCIENCE. We seriously crammed all week with the leaflets we picked up last Saturday. Now I think we know what we want. It's hard to stop and look in the store with a baby who requires constant motion.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I hate when people say they're gonna circ before they even read any research at all!! AARRGGHH!! I sent my dh's cousin, whose having their first child (a boy) in March, a ton of links. Of course I sent her the link to Mothering, Kellymom, a bunch of no-circ sites and info on babywearing, cloth diapering, gentle discipline, and extended breastfeeding. Her email back was kinda curt. It said something like yes, they were thinking of some of those things, but had their own ideas too. HUH?! She was the one that kept asking me for parenting type links! I haven't even come out and asked her if they're circ'ing cuz I don't trust my reponse if they are.

Lisa, we're using Swaddlebees. I just stuff them with an infant prefold and we haven't had any leak issues. Some mornings he wakes up a little damp, but it hasn't been anything that wet the sheets and he doesn't seem bothered by it
I'll keep that in mind when I get some more dipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
Hi mamas! Too many things cutting into my online time lately including:

1) Andrew's first cold And of course he got it RIGHT after I was bragging to a friend about how he's 6+ months and with two older sisters and constantly out at stores, playgroups, etc. and never even had the slightest sniffle (that great breastmilk plus our fanatical use of hand sanitizer ) but of course, that's what I get for bragging But fortunately it wasn't bad at all - he's almost 100% better already, it just lasted 3 days and was very mild (congestion and a slight cough, not too bad - he was totally happy and acting completely normal, the only time anything bothered him was when I'd have to take the nasal-aspirator-torture-device out before he could nurse!)

2) Andrew suddenly becoming mobile! : Yes, he officially started crawling! Yesterday morning - in the midst of his first cold, how odd is that! And he just turned 6 months on Christmas Day. It's insane - that's the earliest yet for my kids. And it all happened at once, he started sitting up alone better, then crawling, and now getting himself up and down, from a lying down position up to sitting and back, all by himself in the span of like 72 hours. So now he is ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE. It is SO weird, it really seems like he's grown about 3 months in a weekend or something. He seems so big all of a sudden! Oh, it's starting even earlier now - I wanna be pregnant again!! The girls are so excited though, it's like he suddenly went from just "cute little baby to look at" to "whoa, new playmate!"
Poor Andrew! I hope he gets better quickly! And wow, I believe he is the very first JUNE crawler, yes? I'm bracing myself for when Elijah starts. I just know he's gonna be into everything. He's almost there.

Helen - Great pics, as always. Harper is adorable.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm going to have to see if the library carries that Curious George album.

Marlow tantrums now....baby tantrums? she throws herself back and screams and kicks if she's tired and if you take something away from her. :

what else...

I JUST found some holiday cards mixed in Lee's work mail. I got Ange's! and I'm opening....
Old 01-07-2007, 01:42 PM

one from Kelly!

I don't know how long we've had these. I love the photos!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post
I'm going to have to see if the library carries that Curious George album.

Marlow tantrums now....baby tantrums? she throws herself back and screams and kicks if she's tired and if you take something away from her. :

what else...

I JUST found some holiday cards mixed in Lee's work mail. I got Ange's! and I'm opening....
Sam's doing the same thing. She'll lay on her belly, kick (only with her left foot) and pound her fists, and yell until we get her what she wants.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 01-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Sam's doing the same thing. She'll lay on her belly, kick (only with her left foot) and pound her fists, and yell until we get her what she wants.
I've asked her to try to be reasonable. Lee says there is no reasoning with her though.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post
I've asked her to try to be reasonable. Lee says there is no reasoning with her though.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:56 PM

I made a website for our family. My brother gave me the iLife software for Christmas, and I'm in love with how easy it is.

http://web.mac.com/thebarkerfamily

Old 01-07-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I made a website for our family. My brother gave me the iLife software for Christmas, and I'm in love with how easy it is.

Aww, I love it! Sam's pictures made me..:
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

What pretty girls Sarah!! So 6 weeks left which is sooo awesome!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What pretty girls Sarah!! So 6 weeks left which is sooo awesome!!
Yep, gettin so close!!

Quote:
Aww, I love it! Sam's pictures made me..:
Thanks! I'm just proud of myself for doing it. I am NOT technologically minded. Mac makes it SO easy.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Cute!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Macs do make it easy BTW if anyone wants the password to Rubys new blog, just PM me, You can all have it

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Ha, and I only just posted because we were off page 1. Oh, the indignity!

We're going to IKEA in a few. AGAIN. Figuring out their wardrobe system requires a degree in SCIENCE. We seriously crammed all week with the leaflets we picked up last Saturday. Now I think we know what we want. It's hard to stop and look in the store with a baby who requires constant motion.
: What about Sociology instead? :

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind when I get some more dipes.

Poor Andrew! I hope he gets better quickly! And wow, I believe he is the very first JUNE crawler, yes? I'm bracing myself for when Elijah starts. I just know he's gonna be into everything. He's almost there.

Helen - Great pics, as always. Harper is adorable.
Nope, Jonah mastered crawling over Christmas as well... :

User Tag List