June 2006 Mamas- New Year! New thread! Let the chat begin!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom View Post
LOL - I did that a few times with my kids. Let them have a taste of something I was sure they wouldn't like so they'd leave me alone (coffee, lemon, raw garlic, wasabi) backfired almost every darn time...crazy kids!
I was squeezing a lemon wedge in to my iced tea the other day and Sam lunged and bit down on it. She puckered, and then kept biting on it. Since it had already been de-seeded, I just let her gnaw on it. She kept puckering, and her eyes were watering, but she wouldn't put it down.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#62 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 06:28 PM

mikey just did this too - worst face ever but kept on sucking...reminds of a baby bf shirt i saw keep on suckin' instead of keep on truckin' LOL

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#63 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Lindsey - I know. It's awesome.

So 9 months is too young for Spaghetti-Os, right? Am I crazy for being grossed out that someone would feed their 9 month old Spaghetti-Os? Seriously, let's all pick a town and move there. This mainstream parenting crap and shoving jars and jars of food down a baby's throat is getting old.

Where do you want to go? I just need a University or nice government job. I like not being in the main town as well... And um, I like space so as long as I can get my mcmansion... :

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#64 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm alittle late...

But

Happy New Year! May the new year bring you all tons of LOVE and JOY!
#65 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
i mean the message is feed baby when they're ready and feed them something good for them, right? which for many means organic, homegrown, homemade babyfood at 12mos but for some "less perfect" parents may also mean a jar of gerbers or some rice cereal at 4mo. the latter is hardly the equivalent to beating your kids or anything, yk?
I am less than perfect myself BUT I think the message is really looking at your child as an individual and finding their needs at that moment. My thinking is if a parent truly is trying to find what is best and is looking for info, go parent, but yeah, we kind of need to pick our battles cause there are 30 million causes out there and one person can't even hope to fight for all of them. Too dang tiring... Just like I think those who do formula or need to supplement because there is no other option are not being criticized when we get mad at society for looking down on breastfeeding...

Heather, cute cute slideshow. She totally had a growth spurt from 2 to 3 months, huh?

Oh Amy, I think if you hit reply you can get my post with the links so the slideshows will come too...

Um, I can't stand Spaghetti-Os. :

And um, giving J food does not make him sleep any longer. Well, unless you count an hour as longer....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#66 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Where do you want to go? I just need a University or nice government job. I like not being in the main town as well... And um, I like space so as long as I can get my mcmansion... :
Hmm...Um...midwest somewhere? I dunno. I've lived in the NE and the south all my life.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#67 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I actually really like hearing people's opinions in this group, even if I have to disagree with them. I think it's really cool that we are a group of women that have different beliefs, but we still so-exist in this little online community because we all care deeply about our children.

Yup Yup. I think it is because you can see the thought that goes into the decision even if it isn't the decision you would make....

#68 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
This is why I love us.

Still waiting to hear where we are all moving so I can be around sane people : (well, sane is such a relative term but you know, my side of crazy.... )

#69 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Hmm...Um...midwest somewhere? I dunno. I've lived in the NE and the south all my life.
Can I be honest? I'm afraid of the south. : I had that trip to Nashville that scared the out of me. I think that's why I stay in Cali... BUT I would consider maybe AZ? Hee, that didn't move very far east did it?

#70 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Can I be honest? I'm afraid of the south. : I had that trip to Nashville that scared the out of me. I think that's why I stay in Cali... BUT I would consider maybe AZ? Hee, that didn't move very far east did it?
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Nashville. AZ was pretty though.

#71 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Nashville. AZ was pretty though.
My SIL and her family are thinking of moving there. I think it will be fun to visit. They are in CO now and I actually think it would be fun to visit there but, um, I am spoiled and need an actual shower. But CO also sounds like a nice place to be...

#72 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 07:49 PM

I lived in Northern FL for three years and it is pretty bizarre. There's a lot to love about the south, but the racism is pretty hard to deal with when you come from a place like Hawaii. A group of pastors actually came to the school when it moved there from California to "make sure" that we would only have white students. Our pastor told them that he hopes on judgment day they are surprised when God just happens to be black. Then, people burned crosses on our lawn. It was effing nuts. I was just getting used to seeing so many white people in one place, and then that happened. The religiousness was a new thing for me too. There are like no Catholic churches where I lived. Everyone was Baptist. It was so strange to me when people everywhere would come up and hand me tracts and ask me if I knew the Lord. Oh, AND! This pastor came to the school as a guest preacher, and a week later he was arrested for murdering an abortion clinic doctor!

So yeah, the south scares me. But, I have been to Lousiana and Mississippi, and there are places that are just so pretty, I feel like I could just buy a big piece of land there and be a hermit.

My dh is from Arizona, and always talks about how much it sucks because of the heat. But deserty stuff is so pretty. And land is cheaper than in Oregon. And every house has a pool. New Mexico appeals to me too.
#73 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 PM

We lived in Savannah GA for a year but had to move back to Michigan...it was very racist and religious. I wouldn't live there again but it was very pretty.
#74 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 08:54 PM

well i'm out if we're going to the south, or the mid west... i gotta live on the egde - i can't live in the middle.

Is Ruby the only one with little interest in solids? shes tried avocado and sweet potato, and didn't care much for either...

you guys!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#75 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 08:56 PM

My first food was Kraft macaroni and cheese at 5 months. And I'm fine! Haha, no, not really. My aunt sneaked it to me, which of course enraged my mother. That's been my all time favorite binge food my whole life. The next food I tried was mashed potatoes. Again, thanks to that aunt. Second favorite binge food. I know that's only silly anecdotal observation, but that's one reason we're just not going to feed processed food to Harper until she's old enough to understand a little more about nutrition and moderation. It's been really hard to unlearn old habits as we try to address health and lifestyle issues as a family. I want to be careful about setting examples and introducing things that are potentially addictive (yes, sometimes I seriously crave something nasty like McDonald's fries - WTH do they put in those?! Dairy and traces of peanuts, actually ). There's a big history of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and cancer on both sides of our family, so we're doing what we can. Sometimes convenience wins, but we'll die trying, I guess.
#76 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
well i'm out if we're going to the south, or the mid west... i gotta live on the egde - i can't live in the middle.

Is Ruby the only one with little interest in solids? shes tried avocado and sweet potato, and didn't care much for either...

you guys!
Done the south, sticking with New England! The skiing is better, well, until this year!

Harper doesn't care much about solids except for playing with them. We've offered banana chunks, pear, and sweet potato. She likes picking up pieces and chewing, but spits them back out, so there's the answer. She did go back for multiple tastes of avocado off my finger the other day while I was making guacamole though. And what a pleasant diaper was had. So waiting is fine by me.
#77 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Good grief she's cute!!
Thank you!

Quote:
She totally had a growth spurt from 2 to 3 months, huh?
Just a little bit : Seems like another one now, too - for the past 2 days doing nothing but eating and sleeping....

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#78 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:25 PM

I grew up in northern NM. It is very pretty.

Happy New Year to all!

So, I got a New Year's gift today...AF returned! : Oh well, I am 7 mos. PP to the day, which I guess is better than with ds#1 (5 1/2 mos.) But it still stinks.

Speaking of solids, I did the usual gerber purees of fruit and veggies and then my own mashed foods with ds#1 starting at around 7 mos. However, this time with Gabriel I am trying something different, and it was inspired after reading this page:

Self-Feeding Solids

So, I have been doing this for a week now, and I have to say it is awesome. He has had a yam, broccoli, bananas, and bread so far. Of course, very little is actually eaten, but it is so much fun to watch him having so much fun. Spoon-feeding my first child was not "fun" for him, like this is for Gabriel. And I like the thought of the saved expense of never having to buy any pureed baby food, nor the "work" of making homemade pureed baby food, when it appears it may be totally unnecessary. Sweet!

ETA: Gabriel has started saying 'mam' also. It is so cute!
#79 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said, I go away for a few hours and wow you ladies drum up the chatter! Also get in a bit of trouble. Glad I am not ambasr over here!

So, now that I have my speggetti os and fries from Micky Ds, I am ready to chat!

I love the fact we all have different opinions. Keep them coming, its how I learn. I would be snoozing real fast if this was a Stepford wife AP group.

I am of both NFL and AP. But that dosent mean I am totally crunchy. Maggie is eating solids and has been for a while. She was so ready. But of course the solids she has had that I didnt give her:
Wendy's frosty
Nacho chips
Chocolate milk (thanks to her sister)
lint on the floor

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#80 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
And what a pleasant diaper was had.

mikey is tooting whilest we speak...too much baby yogurt me thinks...one of his favorites! he also tried mahi mahi the other day - LOVED it. and dh makes homemade blueberry pancakes, i couldn't shovel it in fast enough. he's also a fan of the pretzel rod. so far he hasn't met a food he doesn't like.

i love how all kids are different. my dd1 was pretty picky. sweet potatos and apples or pears. hated meat (which was fine, dh was a vegetarian so we hardly ever had it anyway). she's very unpicky now at 7yo, she'll try anything, favorite food is calamari.

dd2's first food was a middle eastern dish (dh's family is middle eastern and spanish) but other than that was pretty darn picky until about 4yo. now she'll try most things, but her favorite is salad: greens, cucumbers, carrots, croutons and vinegar and lemon (seriously her salads are so sour, that i'm puckering just thinking about it)

dd3 wasn't picky as a babe - loved meat of all things best, but now would be on the elf diet if she had her druthers (you know, candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup?) favorite food at 4yo: blueberry pancakes and marshmallows

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#81 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Happy New Year! Happy Birthday, Megan! And Happy Anniversary, Self! Yay!

Have we already talked about resolutions? I have a bunch that involve more organization, more writing, more financial moves, and better saving.

You? :
Happy New Year and Happy Anniversary!

Quote:
...DON'T GET PREGNANT IN 2007! Considering I was pregnant in 2005 and 2006, I think this is a very good resolution.

Candice - wedding anniversary? congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
I have lots of things I want to work on. 2007 is the year of No Being a Sh$t! We have some specific financial things we need to do, and all the grown up stuff to do like get life insurance and draw up a will and start a 529. Ugh. Picking a guardian has been a whole ordeal, but it has to get done.

Someone got her the Lamaze inch worm toy, and she's now loving that. She also went to brunch with hipsters and behaved very pleasantly.
Hipsters!! Love it! :

Quote:
I did one on Target.com for the big stuff we need, like a double stroller : and a breast pump, and then I did one on cottonbabies.com for the diapering stuff we need. We'll see what comes of it.

Yay for a new year! B and I were watching the Times Square coverage on Fox last night, talking about what a big year 2006 had been, and trying to figure out how the heck we got through it. I honestly don't know sometimes what did it for us. Cars breaking down, children getting sick, hospital stays, begging for money, not having food in the cabinets, living off peanut butter and jelly or beans for months...it was a rough year. And he looked at me with tears in his eyes, and looked around our beautiful home, and said, "but all of that crap, all of the nonsense and the pain and the fear and the uncertainty...through all of that, we're together and stronger. I love you so much." : We're far from safe, but WE are gonna be fine, no matter what. And that is what 2006 showed us, hands down.
Hello, make me cry!! :

Quote:
And here it is -

K's slideshow!

Amy, when you copy the bday list onto your first post for this thread, can you linky this to her name or just copy and paste it in next to her name? Thanks!
Too cute!! She has the cutest, squeezable cheeks!!

Quote:

I'm sorry to those of you whom I have offended, and in the future will keep my opinions to myself.

My sincerest apologies.
I wasn't offended and I was pretty sure you meant the women IRL, cuz we all love each other

Quote:
Dog the Bounty Hunter is awesome. I saw them around when I was in Hawaii. They seriously dress like wrestlers all the time. And did you know he's only about 5'6"? He wears 4-inch cowboy boots. And Beth has the biggest boobs I've ever seen in real life.

How's pickled ginger for a bad thing to give your baby? I was eating some last night, and Talula kept screaming at me. She doesn't understand English, so when I tried to explain to her that she might not like it, she kept screaming. So I let her lick it to find out that she wouldn't like it...right? Wrong. She lunged at me, trying to grab it out of my hands. I thought, maybe she didn't get a good taste of it, so I let her lick it for longer. She grabbed it from my hand and put it in her mouth. She likes pickled ginger. How weird is that? She also likes radishes. She was sucking on one last night.

I actually really like hearing people's opinions in this group, even if I have to disagree with them. I think it's really cool that we are a group of women that have different beliefs, but we still so-exist in this little online community because we all care deeply about our children.
Yes, exactly! (on hearing people's opinions,etc, NOT about Dog the Bounty Hunter )

Quote:
This is why I love us.
Me too Me too!

Quote:
I was squeezing a lemon wedge in to my iced tea the other day and Sam lunged and bit down on it. She puckered, and then kept biting on it. Since it had already been de-seeded, I just let her gnaw on it. She kept puckering, and her eyes were watering, but she wouldn't put it down.
Don't you just love the "Sour" face! Pickles work too

Quote:
mikey just did this too - worst face ever but kept on sucking...reminds of a baby bf shirt i saw keep on suckin' instead of keep on truckin' LOL
Awesome shirt!! I'd love to have that on a baby "Trucker Hat"

Quote:
Still waiting to hear where we are all moving so I can be around sane people : (well, sane is such a relative term but you know, my side of crazy.... )
I'd love it if we all lived by each other.....any takers?

Quote:
Hey Ange, I hate that you had a bad experience. I've never been to Nashville, but being from Cali myself, then moving here to Mississippi (I can never type that without singing it out like in grade school when you learn the states) I was amazed at how beautiful it is here and like all places, there is good people and bad people. I just happen to live around the good ones! I really love the South. The hospitality, the manners, the seasons, the fresh air, the pine trees, the magnolia's, the gulf coast (before Katrina )....Its totally different than Cali, but atleast I dont' have to put up w/ traffic, smog, rude people, the extrodinarily high cost of living. But I do miss my Dad and Stepmom. They stayed in Ca, while my Mom moved out here when I was pregnant with Carson, my 2nd.

Quote:
I lived in Northern FL for three years and it is pretty bizarre. There's a lot to love about the south, but the racism is pretty hard to deal with when you come from a place like Hawaii. A group of pastors actually came to the school when it moved there from California to "make sure" that we would only have white students. Our pastor told them that he hopes on judgment day they are surprised when God just happens to be black. Then, people burned crosses on our lawn. It was effing nuts. I was just getting used to seeing so many white people in one place, and then that happened. The religiousness was a new thing for me too. There are like no Catholic churches where I lived. Everyone was Baptist. It was so strange to me when people everywhere would come up and hand me tracts and ask me if I knew the Lord. Oh, AND! This pastor came to the school as a guest preacher, and a week later he was arrested for murdering an abortion clinic doctor!

So yeah, the south scares me. But, I have been to Lousiana and Mississippi, and there are places that are just so pretty, I feel like I could just buy a big piece of land there and be a hermit.

My dh is from Arizona, and always talks about how much it sucks because of the heat. But deserty stuff is so pretty. And land is cheaper than in Oregon. And every house has a pool. New Mexico appeals to me too.
That totally NUTS!! How Scary! But I can second that there are beautiful parts of Louisiana and Mississippi. If you said you couldn't move here because of the weather ie. humidity, then I'd understand! In the late Spring, well, actually any season but the winter, its sooo humid! Like trying to breath thru a wet sock. I guess Im not really selling the south as a viable option to live, am I? But I don't get dry skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post

you guys!
Hey Korin, there's always the gulf coast, but housing is really scarce down there now. Unfortunately, its taking a super long time to get back on its feet, but before the hurricane you should have seen how beautiful these huge antebellum homes that had a view right out to the Gulf of Mexico

Ok, so I totally forgot to add that J.C now has 2 teeth on the bottom!!! On Friday I felt the first one and then today he was laughing and JasN said they're 2 teeth on the bottom and sure enough there is!! And he got up on all fours this weekend and rocked. He can move his legs forward but can figure out how to get his arms moving in a forward direction.
#82 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 PM

nah, i can't do that kind of weather...no hurricanes for me!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#83 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Korin - Sam doesn't care about solids either. At all. She plays with Cheerios 'cause her neonatologist wants her to work on her fine motor skills, and the Cheerios are what the doc wanted us to use for that. She can't figure out how to get things in her mouth, and is still grabbing things in her fist and not with forefinger and thumb. Other than lemon wedges and the occasional fork that she grabs and gets near her mouth, she hasn't had much. She's just now figuring out how to put the spoon in her mouth by herself.

#84 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Max is totally not into food right now either ... he's 20 pounds, so I figure breastmilk is doing him just fine

He sits up but as someone else said, not trustworthy enough to be left alone or without the boppy behind him. Today I was folding laundry and he was beside me and pulled himself up to standing on one leg, got a real worried look on his face and then sat back down

Okay, I'll confess to only having read this page, so I have 5 pages to go back and catch up on. But, I wanted to stop in and wish you mamas a Happy New Year.

(one of my resolutions is to keep up with you all mamas and the MDC boards in general ... I seem to do much better when I hang out with my "tribe")

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#85 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Here we are and Happy New Year!

All right guys are last thread made senior member... Let's see if we can do it again... Heather, did we decide how we are going to do the pics thing????

Amys1st (Amy) Margaret Patricia born 2/15/06
sehbub (Sarah) Samantha Grace born 4/20/06
Marlow's mom Marlow Wren born 5/3/06
StacyL (Stacy) Gabriel Paul born 5/31/06
katiejon1 (Katie) Evelyn Elizabeth born 6/3/06
Paddington (Angelique) Jonah born 6/8/06
mcimom (LeighAnne) Michael Gabriel born 6/10/06
Mearaina (Lisa) Lynea Grace born 6/14/06
BelgianSheepDog Aurora born 6/14/06
ladybugamber (Amber) Zachary Hogan Gilbert ( 6-15-2006)
mommitola (Helen) Harper Reese born 6/16/06
AugustineM (Ashley) Anna Augustine born 6/18/06
Caroline248 (Caroline) William born 6/19/06
earthmama369 (Sarah) Sebastion born 6/19/06
mamamilkbar (Heidi) Hannah Jolie born 6/19/06
chiromama (Korin) Ruby Violet born 6/20/06
papayapetunia (Candice) Talula Violet born 6/22/06
rikiamber (Riki) Bastion Alexander born 6/22/06
grace's voice (Holly) Behn born 6/23/06
AlbertaJes (Jes) Katie born 6/23/06
Selesai (Jessica) Phillip Jackson born 6/24/06
Butterfly_mom (Liz)-Erin Bracha born 6/24/06
BundleFishMama Andrew Joseph born 6/25/06
sarahlynn83 (Sarah) John Alexander born 6/28/06
The4OfUs (Heather) - Kaitlyn Xenia born 06/28/06
Simplicity (Lisa)- Kaya 6/28/06
Megs BK (Megan) -Geneva Maureen born 6/30/06
Medicmom (Nicole) - Olivia born 6/30/06
mommy2girlies (Kelly) Jefferson Carter born 7/2/06
animus silvae - DS born 7/2/06
Been updated in first post! I dont know why the other part didnt go in too...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#86 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 PM

Hey, Amy, can I get on that list? : Max was born June 20th (I know, Max & Ruby share a birthday ... Max & Ruby, how cute is that!)

Thank you!

Let's see ... resolutions ... well, basically Hubby and I have (gulp) decided to Compact this year. I'm totally terrified about it as I LOVE to shop There's a big ole long winded post about it on my blog.

Okay, fussy babe = short computer time, so I'll catch up with you ladies tomorrow.

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#87 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara View Post
(one of my resolutions is to keep up with you all mamas and the MDC boards in general ... I seem to do much better when I hang out with my "tribe")

Best Wishes!
Uh oh, one of mine is to not spend as much time....

Liz loves almost anything to eat. Some highlights- her own homemade pizza that she rolled out, california sushi rolls, tandorri pizza, tacos, little burgers or as we "lizzie burgers", hotdogs bought at home depot when your leaving, chopped salad, mochas made by Daddy, any fresh veggies, raw oats (dont know why), basically any fruit, olives, kalamata olives, pasta salad,

I think our varied diet from day to day has rubbed off on the kids. Maggie grabs at everything. Sometimes we will give her boiled speggetti to play w and she will play w it while we eat. Also a celery stick is cool on her mouth and she likes that.

I am looking forward to this summer in the veggie garden. I remember Liz that age picking strawberries and tomatoes and eating them. Now that she is older she has her own garden area. She will also bring a bowl outside and pick a huge bowl of strawberries. Sometimes all that comes back is the bowl! Another reason to keep an organic garden- wondering little ones who eat what they see....

#88 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 11:09 PM

There's a few holiday pictures in my sig. That's "fake Christmas" where she opened gifts she received Saturday since we messed up taking pics on Christmas eve.
#89 of 1645 Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Hi mamas! Happy 2007! Hope you all had a nice New Year's celebration! We went to a party at a friend's house (a few couples and everyone's kids) and had SO.MUCH.FUN! The kids all went crazy running around, playing, watching videos, blowing noisemakers until we were all about to go deaf - but they all - including Andrew - made it to midnight! The grownups played this hilarious board game called "Battle of the Sexes" (I am such a dork, I looooove games!) where the husbands were on one team and the wives on the other - we started off kicking their butts but somehow (probably we were drinking faster ) they caught up and beat us by a hair and didn't let us hear the end of it all night....oh well, rematch for 2008 we said

Then today we saw Disney on Ice in Philly - the girls are Princess-crazed so they were on cloud nine! My folks joined us too, they had fun watching their grandkids so elated to see Cinderella et. al. skating around and the special effects & stunts these skaters could do were amazing....anyway then we went out for coffee and just relaxed and it was a very nice day to start a hopefully wonderful year!

So what did I miss - well Happy Birthday to Megs, Amy, and Sarah (hey I am SO glad to hear that turning 30 is not so bad, since I have to do it in like 9 months and I've been dreading it! ) and Happy Anniversary Candice!

Solids - anyone else not even start trying yet? I have not offered Andrew anything at all yet, and probably won't for another month or so at least. But Stacy - I love the self-feeding idea, I've seen that link before and I think we're going to do something like that.

For our DDC group move - do we have to stay in the U.S.? Can we move to say, Paris? Or Prague? Or Fiji? Or Tanzania? Seriously though, I used to be afraid of the South (and actually the Midwest and the West and I guess really anything other than NYC! ) I was raised as kind of a Northeast/urban snob but fortunately I got over it! Now that I've known people from all over and gotten to visit more places I've realized that there are stereotypes about everyone and every place and they're just that - stereotypes - everybody has their good points and bad points, right? But yeah, I generally prefer the pace of the NE/mid-Atlantic. I think the West Coast and the South would be too relaxed for me Love to visit though!!

New Year's Resolutions - good topic! I have a bunch:

1) Get organized. Meaning: declutter the house, sell or give away stuff I don't need anymore, set up better routines, start writing stuff down/making lists so I don't forget things.

2) Stop being late. I am ALWAYS like 5-10 minutes behind for everything. Leave myself extra time and be early so I'm not a big stressball yelling at the kids and rushing everyone - especially for important things like church, appointments, LLL meetings, etc.

3) Continue to lose weight, and more than that, generally be healthier and make the whole family eat healthier, exercise more, use fewer chemicals in the house, etc. I would like to lose at least another 20 pounds before the next baby (And speaking of which, unlike Sarah, GET pregnant again in 2007, at least by the end of the year! Don't worry, I don't get my period back for a long time so it won't be anytime THAT soon!)

4) Start earning some extra money - I have a few ideas I've been kicking around for very-part-time stuff to do from home.

5) Get involved & volunteer more with causes that are important to me, and specifically with GBS awareness campaigns. I've been meaning to do this since Andrew's birth and NICU stay but never got around to it. There's a great group called The Jesse Cause that my friend's SIL's friend, who also had an infected baby, is involved with and they educate pg mamas and docs about GBS infection and prevention and signs of it, etc. My friend gave me her contact info and I really want to call her. (I know it may not be totally popular around MDC because some mamas I guess consider it an "unnecessary intervention" to be tested for GBS, but obviously after my experience I would strongly disagree!)

6) Most importantly of all - figure out a way to deal positively with DD1's behavior issues, figure out some gentle discipline strategies that will work and stick with them - be calmer and not lose my patience, i.e. no more yelling, threatening/punishing etc. - and be a better wife, be nicer to DH, don't nag and don't lose my patience so often with him, either!

Hmm....so which of these do you think I actually have a shot at keeping?!

OK, here's a question, talking about losing weight as a resolution reminded me of it. I thought of x-posting it in Parents as Partners but also wanted to ask here. What do you do when you are concerned about your DH's health because of his eating habits, etc., and he claims to care but doesn't do anything about it? This is my situation - DH and I were both very slim and healthy when we were married 5 yrs ago, but have totally let ourselves go in that time (of course, I had 3 kids - and he claims he gained "sympathy pounds" all 3 times!) Anyway, I have been working hard to get back into shape - I am far from perfect, I do cheat, but I'm eating healthier in general and exercising, and I've been losing weight.

He on the other hand, is as bad as ever. His diet stinks - he eats junk and sweets and is a carb fiend, and sometimes days go by where he doesn't touch a fruit or vegetable unless I finally force him to! He does not exercise at all. He joined a gym a few months ago and bought new workout shoes and all, but now we pay dues every month and he has never even gone there to get his membership card issued! He claims he has no time. Now I do admit he works very hard and has a stressful job with lots of responsibility, and then I do like to have him home at a decent hour to help with the kids! But he's like 40 pounds overweight now and at his last physical his doc said he needs to lose it, since there's a risk of heart disease etc. in his family, and he is turning 40 this year. He says he wants to, but he gets SO FREAKIN' DEFENSIVE when I point anything out. If I say, "Honey maybe you should have fruit for dessert instead of those cookies" he gets so mad and says I'm not his mother, I shouldn't tell him what to do, etc. If I say I'm worried about him and his health and that the kids and I need him around for a long time, he brushes that off and says I'm trying to control him and that I can tell the kids what to do but not him. Or he says, "This isn't really so bad for me, it has whole grains" and I'll read him the nutrition label where it says it also has a zillion grams of sugar and he'll still argue with black-and-white facts (and he's pretty clueless about nutrition in general). So I'm worried, and frustrated, and it's hard for me since I'm trying hard to get back to looking like I used to for him, but he doesn't seem to care what I think, from a health or attractiveness perspective! I don't want to keep fighting with him and nagging either (see other resolution ) So WWYD?

I better get to bed - more contractors coming tomorrow to give estimates for all our restoration work, and I cannot wait to get that started and get everything back to normal! I thought I'd be hosting a housewarming party by now, not repairing holes in the walls and ceilings!!

Hope everyone's New Year is off to a fabulous start!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#90 of 1645 Old 01-02-2007, 02:23 AM

BFM, in my experience, (married 10 years ) you can't even support him to change his diet/exercise if he doesn't REALLY want to. No matter what you say no matter how you say it, if he doesn't want to do it for himself, you're wasting your time. Lead by example. Get healthy, feel good, look good... he may be inspired.

Resolutions...
I like to think of them as goals tho...
1. Take a picture everyday.
2. write more
3. create more
4. cook new things (i love to cook and tend to stay in a rut)
5. walk everyday
6. see a therapist about my birth trauma issues.

I'm sure there are more things... but this is a good start.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page