June 2006 Mamas- New Year! New thread! Let the chat begin!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here we are and Happy New Year!

This is an ongoing chat of woman who had babies due in June 2006. So if you baby was born around that time or due around that time like mine come and join the fun!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 06:48 PM

Happy New Year!
#3 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 06:52 PM

:

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#4 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:07 PM

Happy New Year from me, too! and happy 28th birthday TO me...

Dan is taking his parents to the airport now. It was a nice visit... 48 hours is perfect -- especially when they stay with MY parents. I love my ILs, but my MIL can be a fatiguing person to be around. She is very nervous... worries a lot about what she says... not necessarily a bad thing, but I often feel "on display" and not like I can just let my hair down and be my imperfect, brassy self.

Nevie is asleep. The house is quiet (except for the dishwasher... HOORAY! for having a dishwasher again!), and I kind of don't know what to do with myself. I suppose I could work on my application essays. Yeah... that would ease my mind a bit to spend 20 minutes on them. But first? Coffee!

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#5 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Is Dan allowed to drive so soon?? I am glad I am not the only holiday bday though! Happy bday to you!

What do the essays have to say? I remember Bob doing those now but it was about 14 years ago....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:21 PM

Happy Birthday!!!!!!
:
#7 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM

You started just as I was working on a post. Hit to post it and then went and checked my email. Talk to you all soon...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#8 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom View Post
Happy Birthday!!!!!!
:
:

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#9 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:28 PM

Happy Birthday Megan!

Happy New Year Everybody!
#10 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Is Dan allowed to drive so soon?? I am glad I am not the only holiday bday though! Happy bday to you!

What do the essays have to say? I remember Bob doing those now but it was about 14 years ago....
Yeah, Dan wasn't put on any kind of activity restrictions. The calcium blockers will make him tired for a while, but it's not like codiene or anything.

The essays are different for each school. Washinton (UW) wanted a three-page personal statement about my goals, motivation, experience, preparation for a career working with different types of people, and the challenges I see for the field of PT. Eastern Washington just wants a one-page, handwritten autobiographical "sketch." Blargh! Univ. of Puget Sound has three short-answer essays: 1) How a PT works with [fill in the blank other medical/institutional professional -- I chose orthopedic surgeon], 2) two personal strengths and one weakness for this field, and 3) how my background has prepared me to care for patients from various socioeconomic/cultural backgrounds. Hooray for the Air Force! It's a great life-experience-essay helper.

Thanks for the birthday greetings! I'm about ready to open up my present to myself: a bottle of Walla Walla Vinters Washington Cuvee... a bordeaux red blend that is PHENOMENAL. And... it'll help me write, right?

Megan. Student Physical Therapist. Married & Mom to Geneva (6/30/06). Recent transplant to the rainy side of the Cascades.
#11 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 07:58 PM

Happy New Year! Happy Birthday, Megan! And Happy Anniversary, Self! Yay!

Have we already talked about resolutions? I have a bunch that involve more organization, more writing, more financial moves, and better saving.

You? :
#12 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Happy New Year! Happy Birthday, Megan! And Happy Anniversary, Self! Yay!

Have we already talked about resolutions? I have a bunch that involve more organization, more writing, more financial moves, and better saving.

You? :
Happy Anniversary!

I hope to do weller in school this coming year!
#13 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 PM

Happy New Year, sweet mamas and sweet babies!

Here's to a happy, healthy, wonderful 2007!

oh my stars! they'll all be walking, running, crazy making little toddlers by this time next year! :

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#14 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs_BK View Post
Happy New Year from me, too! and happy 28th birthday TO me...
Happy Birthday, sweetie!

As far as resolutions:
Help us become financially stable
Get back in shape
Keep my sanity with two under a year
and...DON'T GET PREGNANT IN 2007! Considering I was pregnant in 2005 and 2006, I think this is a very good resolution.

Candice - wedding anniversary? congrats!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#15 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome over everyone, I am sure if I go away from the pc for about 3-4 hours, you guys will run up 10 pages.

Meg- I will pm you but did you Bob to look over anything? His speciality is Orthopedics.

Sarah- I am on an all out search for a womanly Art book-
BFMama, any ideas??

I just finished my 10th game of memory in the last few days. Liz received candy land and memory for xmas from my parents. Last night she had a hot game of Candyland with Daddy and Grandpa.

Maggie used to be MAggieRoo in the nicu because of her kangeroo care, then she was Stinkeroo because she is a stinker! Now she is just Rugrat.
She is out cold right now after spending most of the day crawling backwards, rolling all over and then discovering the hardwood floors and scooting herself all over. I think she is a sensory person. She loves examing, touching and rubbing all textures. She also seems to be a problem solver- can figure things out instead of wailing. I also found her underneath her sister's dresser. She crawled backwards into it and her head was popped out LOL.
Too bad I am a green kind of gal. I might need hair dye since I might be gray by my next bday....

goals & resolutions....

I am hoping 07 is much much quieter than 06
Help my parents get a grip on life! Maybe get them working towards happiness.
Finish loosing all my weight I gained
save more money- we call this the year of the black, not that we are in debt but just build up the savings.
We want to do as much as possible- organic.

#16 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 PM

I have lots of things I want to work on. 2007 is the year of No Being a Sh$t! We have some specific financial things we need to do, and all the grown up stuff to do like get life insurance and draw up a will and start a 529. Ugh. Picking a guardian has been a whole ordeal, but it has to get done.

Someone got her the Lamaze inch worm toy, and she's now loving that. She also went to brunch with hipsters and behaved very pleasantly.
#17 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 PM

Happy birthday! Happy anniversary!
#18 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 PM

:
only have a min. will post goals for 2007 later.

Happy birthday!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#19 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:25 PM

Happy New Year, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary!

Resolutions - yes, I should write down a few of those. Thus far:
- Get all my family/friend b-days and anniversaries in my Outlook calendar so I don't forget them all like I did this year.
- Correspond with and call my aunt and Nana more this year.
- Get an emergency fund padded
- Buy some sin sticks
- Try, try, TRY to keep on this good cleaning stint I've been on, cause it's so nice to have the house looking decent.
- Discuss going organic on meat and dairy with DH. Those are the two more important ones, right?

That's all I can think of for now. CHEERS, EVERYONE!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#20 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola View Post
I have lots of things I want to work on. 2007 is the year of No Being a Sh$t! We have some specific financial things we need to do, and all the grown up stuff to do like get life insurance and draw up a will and start a 529. Ugh. Picking a guardian has been a whole ordeal, but it has to get done.

Someone got her the Lamaze inch worm toy, and she's now loving that. She also went to brunch with hipsters and behaved very pleasantly.
Oh yeah, a will is a good idea. We've been meaning to draw up a living will. Just need to verify with the BIL and SIL that it's o.k. if we put them down as guardians for Samantha and Jackson. The part that kills us though is if anything happens to both of us, it's totally up to B's x whether or not the girls have a relationship with S&J. And that saddens me a LOT.

#21 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 PM

We need to do a guardianship will too. I've been trying to find someone to help us with that at an affordable price.

It was hard to pick someone out. We have lots of crazy people to pick from but I really want a stable home picked out. Ugh, I definitely don't want the ILs raising her. They are always talking about what "a good whack" will do for a kid. And I know they would try to get custody if we don't have something finalized.
#22 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!! :

Sebastian turned 6 months old on the 19th and is getting his fourth tooth -- he has three on bottom and one coming in on the top. How funny is that? He's started sitting and stays up pretty well, but I still don't get too far away because he's all about the trust fall. We started solid food on his 6 month birthday after 8 solid weeks of him begging for it, and, well, I think it was a letdown. Qualia was a chowhound; Bastian's not so sure about the texture thing. We've done avocado and rice, mashed within an inch of its life and mixed with a LOT of breastmilk, and finger-squished banana so far.

We got Qualia a Casio keyboard for Christmas and while she has fun banging away on it, Sebastian LOVES it. He's always been really easy to soothe by singing and seems to like music, but I'm getting a stronger sense that music's really going to be his "thing." DH is calling him Shroeder (like in Peanuts).

My birthday was on Christmas and dh threw me a surprise party yesterday to celebrate surviving 30 years (mostly) intact. It was really cool. Lots of friends, great homemade Indian food that dh stayed up til 3 am making, some cool gifts (Widdershins by Charles de Lint, an issue of Hip Mama, a niiiice bottle of wine, a gift certificate to our local indie health food store). DH planned the party for months and I had NO CLUE! : He always says he's a ninja. I guess he's right! It was just such a sweet thing to do.

Yeah, I'm liking this whole 30 thing. I feel loved and liberated. All those 20-something hangups are rapidly falling by the wayside.

New Year's Resolutions:

*Pay down credit card debt.
*Declutter the house.
*Learn how to tie-dye.
#23 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 09:55 PM

Augh -- thanks for the reminder. Dan and I need to get our wills redone at Fairchild (Air Force Base) before our access to the free stuff is gone (mid-Feb). We chose one of our mutual best friends from college and her husband for Nevie's godparents/guardians. She's a kindred spirit and an engineer and her husband has a great job... very similar values, etc etc. I know Nevie would have a great life with them. It was kind of hard not to choose one of our siblings, but for various reasons (sibs' values/financial status), we chose not to "impose" our child on them. All of our sibs have great values, and with my sister I know Nevie would be raised very well, but she & her husband are strapped as it is. Darn the way our society pays its teachers! With Dan's older bro, I fear Nevie would be raised to be in pageants and only care about shopping... and with his little sis, I fear she'd be hawking fries at McD's instead of going to college.

Anyway. It's a long story, like all of us I'm sure.

#24 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 10:13 PM

I suppose I had better update my will too. Megs, life insurance could solve your problems regarding your sister and money. A good idea for those who have certain people in mind, but are not entirely comfortable with each would be to do co-guardians. They could check and balance each other. I have my parents first, but if they're not around, I have my two BFFs. One I have known since age 2, and she's a sweet and loving sweet, sweet, sweetheart that would be so good to the girls. The other is an attorney who would handle money well, but would maybe not be too thrilled with having full-time hands-on parenting duties. You can also prepare a document that is sort of a statement of wishes regarding raising your children. It may not be enforceable in court, but violating it may be grounds to have a guardianship terminated in a co-guardianship, and guardians may just be inclined to follow it because they love you or because they don't want to wind up in court.

I hope you all have a great night, and here's to 2007. It will be the best year yet.

#25 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

We have 529s, wills, living will, and life insurance. Just paid for this year. We are going to up my life insurance to 1/2 mil or more. DH's is much more and he also has it thru the business. My BIL (the one going thru divorce) is the executer of our will. Bob's older sister in Ohio is the girls' legal guardian. She has 4 of her own, but she is a practicing Catholic which is important to Bob. He wants the girls raised Catholic. Also, my brother has a different idea of what is important, not thats its too far off ours, but it is!
We are legal guardian to our niece Isobel. We are also thinking of putting all of our assets into a trust like my parents did several years ago. That way everyone is already settled and cannot be contested what goes to what.
I highly suggest getting a will up and going quickly. I also have a living will and a signed, notorized statement from both of us in case of a Terry shaivo situation. Let people around you know what your wishes are about caring for you and your children if God forbid something happens to anyone. Remember birth plans? This is a Life plan!

529s are easy to get going and that can be a gift for several years to follow. If you want to pay for your child's undergrad degree, start putting away $800 a month NOW until they are 15 years old. I highly recommend to instead AP as much as possible and breastfeed as long as possible. You will never believe the intelligence it gives a child. Put that money in your retirement because you cant borrow that.

#26 of 1645 Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 PM

Happy New Year!!

Happy Birthday Meg!!

and

Happy anniversary Candice!!!
#27 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post

You? :
Yes! I do! To become more at peace with all the aspects of myself. Deeper my relationship with G-d and church and family. To work more on completing my accounting courses and to find a local job so I don't have to commute anymore!!!

Happy New Year!

#28 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Happy Birthday, sweetie!

As far as resolutions:
Help us become financially stable
Get back in shape
Keep my sanity with two under a year
and...DON'T GET PREGNANT IN 2007! Considering I was pregnant in 2005 and 2006, I think this is a very good resolution.

Candice - wedding anniversary? congrats!

That's a good one Sarah! We are hoping you don't get pregnant in 2007 as well. Need some time to enjoy those babies!:

Oh yes, I forgot Happy Anniversary Candice and Hope you had a wonderful birthday as well Amy!

#29 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 AM

Happy New Year!!!! Everyone.

Happy b day! Amy. Happy Anniversiry Candice!

I'm behind in this thread again! I'm here for the AP myself but I do find myself becomming more intune with several other aspects of mdc life.

In 2007 I will lose baby weight! Now I didn't say which baby it was from!: .
Save more money I realy don't need to eat out 2-3 times a week.
Organize more or at least take out the clothes that don't fit anymore.
Get a will! I hadent even thought of this,good call.We have 529,401k and life ins,stocks bonds all that other stuff,but It never once crossed my mind about a will.

Sarah could you do a on line registry for all your diapering wants/needs insted of stuff you have or don't. I wish I did this! it would have made life easier now.

So I too have velcro baby it is sooo anoying she is so needy these days I hope it is a phase.

Off to bed so I have Christmas with DH's bro/sis tomorrow and he's one of 4 and they all have 4 kids each. My neice and nephew are in ny at time sq. for new year celabration! How cool is that I wish I were 21 again. I would do things sooo differintly!:

Oh carriers I think I want a mei tie Olivia was not thrilled with being in the wrap back carry but I was not smooth at putting her there either. What do you have I'm confosed by long/short body,straps: It all makes me dizzy!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#30 of 1645 Old 01-01-2007, 02:42 AM

Oh, DUR! Happy Anniversary, Candice! That's always a great milestone.

Resolutions...? Hmmm. I generally scoff resolutions. But I think that's an excuse to stay lazy with my physical and personal improvement

I would reallllly like to get into PT school, but after a certain point that one is out of my control, so I can't really use that as a resolution. I'd like to get back on the regular exercise bandwagon. I need to suck it up and order the running shoes that really fit me. Last attempt went down in flames. Gave them to my sister rather than burn them in effigy.

Maybe... cut myself some more slack as a mama and person in general. Nevie will not die, nor will she hate me forever, if she has to be cranky in the carseat for 15 minutes. It does not require me to bash my head against the steering wheel, pitifully proclaiming, "I should never have had children... I am unfit to be a mother... I suck, suck, suck, suck, suuuuuck."

Other than that... I'd like for us to get through a week with no visits to the ER. THAT would be lovely. Because of the aforementioned visits, I am just too darn tired to think of any real resolutions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page